5+ Year Old Account
    I don't trust any country on this, only an omnipotent God could know the full spread of the virus...

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    What Winnie the Flu says should be taken with a grain of salt. It's not in his interest to broadcast that the Mandate of Heaven has been rescinded from the CCP.

Let's see that list...

Peasant uprisings? Check.
    Natural disasters? Check.
    Epidemics? Check.

Just waiting on a bad harvest and we've got bingo, folks.
    Yep. I know chinese citizens have been angry about how he and the govt has been handling the situation. He will say promising things to appease them but the facts come out with what actually gets done. Citizens see this and want more to be done.

In beijing, communities have been checking for people coming in. Even most delivery people are unable to go in. Banks, post offices and malls now have the fever scanner checkers.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

What Winnie the Flu says should be taken with a grain of salt. It's not in his interest to broadcast that the Mandate of Heaven has been rescinded from the CCP.

Let's see that list...

Peasant uprisings? Check.
    Natural disasters? Check.
    Epidemics? Check.

Just waiting on a bad harvest and we've got bingo, folks.
    Don't they already have the African swine fever crashing pork production?
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

https://twitter.com/howroute/status/1225480460979056642

Fuck china and all that shithole of a country stands for tbh
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-02-07 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Forbidden Topics - Nationbashing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post

If you want a lockdown and forced quarantine, a lockdown and forced quarantine is what you get.

So many people cheering for Wuhan to be locked down and people who have the virus to be put under mandatory quarantine, but as soon as they see videos of that in action they freak out like they didn't know what they were asking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    You keep saying "this is impossible" to people who have numerical backing without any evidence of your own. Curious.

And we can't tell the future, no - but we can assess probability and plan accordingly. Believing otherwise is just functional ignorance of how reality works and believing everything is chaotic and can change at any moment when in reality...humans are neither as predictable nor as variable as common sense might imply.

It's literally a function of anecdotal bias. You individually don't encounter many people like you; but once you get to the scale of millions and billions of people, there sure are a lot of PC2s running around who are likely to act in similar ways when presented with similar conditions.

That's true, I suppose the technical definition of the term would be "squatting".
    /shudder that thought is too horrific to think about.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-02-07 at 03:26 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post

[Infraction]
    Yea as worse as US soldiers raping and killing in Iraq.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahm...e_and_killings

10+ Year Old Account
    @sabe Guys, let's keep it faintly civil and on topic, OK?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    Quaint whataboutism, but utterly unrelated to the thread itself.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    what does that have to do with this thread?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Holy shit... her screams. WTH was going on?
    It's likely some sort of panic attack. There's no windows or anything visible so it wouldn't surprise me if it was both difficult to breathe and pitch black inside.

At first, the government thought it is ok to leave people at home.
    Then it realized that it didn't work.

Now it is very similar to Cultural Revolution in 1966.
    Your neighbor can report you for coughing. Then the police will arrest your family and put you in a "hospital".

The current plan is to put all "sick" people in three big "hospitals" on February 10.
    People get back to work on February 17.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2020-02-07 at 11:30 PM.

Does anyone else here work in Beijing or China as an English teacher? Return date for most schools is the 14th ish and i heard 17th awhile back. I would imagine, given the fact that Beijing increases cases by 20-30 every few days, that the date would be pushed back into early March. Even HK schools pushed back to early March. Mid February would be a bad idea IMO. Virus not even showing signs of stopping and no vaccine in sight for months if that. My school's teacher wechat group discusses things daily, as well as a daily health report check-in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    At first, the government thought it is ok to leave people at home.
    Then it realized that it didn't work.

Now it is very similar to Cultural Revolution in 1966.
    Your neighbor can report you for coughing. Then the police will arrest your family and put you in a "hospital".

The current plan is to put all "sick" people in three big "hospitals" on February 10.
    People get back to work on February 17.
    There was an ambulance sighted in my apt community the other day, i'm guessing it wasn't CV related, otherwise the guards would say something or post something on the community wall. I would hope that schools don't go back to work on the 17th, would be a bad idea.

The government doesn't care about school. It doesn't affect its economy.
    I will not surprise that school is delayed to summer.

It only wants people to go back to work, especially exports for $$$.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76
    Does anyone else here work in Beijing or China as an English teacher?
    Not as an English teacher and not really in K12. We're expecting things to start in March, potentially even April, and that may require extra classes to make up time lost.

You're looking at heading out this summer. I suggest getting things together in advance with an eye towards being able to make a graceful exit if classes run into summer break.

Cupcake just wished me happy birthday. Her advice was to stay indoors as much as possible, otherwise no particular alarm. Since she is my surgeon and knows I'm high risk, I take that as a good sign. BTW, remember today is Lantern Festival.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3
    Brilliance! Indeed, nobody could possibly want to go back to work so they get paid and so their business doesn't collapse. /sarcasm
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    The government doesn't care about school. It doesn't affect its economy.
    I will not surprise that school is delayed to summer.

I was informed today that middle and high schools will start online classes from feb 17. I work at an elementary school so i'm sure if they will do the same or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    Not as an English teacher and not really in K12. We're expecting things to start in March, potentially even April, and that may require extra classes to make up time lost.

You're looking at heading out this summer. I suggest getting things together in advance with an eye towards being able to make a graceful exit if classes run into summer break.

Cupcake just wished me happy birthday. Her advice was to stay indoors as much as possible, otherwise no particular alarm. Since she is my surgeon and knows I'm high risk, I take that as a good sign. BTW, remember today is Lantern Festival.

Brilliance! Indeed, nobody could possibly want to go back to work so they get paid and so their business doesn't collapse. /sarcasm
    Yep..gf bought some tangyuan. I also bought some. We just got done eating. I don't think many will be out celebrating, that's understandable. Beijing has a law now prohibiting any gatherings larger than a few people. My contract strictly states until July. I don't foresee summer classes being tacked on, what they might do is tack on weekend classes. *if classes are being taught online. Then that might not be a big issue.*

- - - Updated - - -

"China threatens harsh punishments for people who disrupt virus control ... including the death penalty" Just saw this posted 4 minutes ago via CNN.

- - - Updated - - -

https://observers.france24.com/en/20...alau-indonesia. The *Chinese girl eating bat soup in Wuhan or some part of China* has been debunked. Cool but feel bad for that girl. I also honestly thought it was taken in China. Both the college student and the Chinese travel host.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Muajin76 <bleep!> I'll have to try to get some tangyuan. One of my old students wants to WeChat video celebrate with me. Welp, grocery shopping will need to get done today. AQI is probably not going to be great tonight.

The new suspect for the missing animal link is pangolins: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...rus/ar-BBZL9HS

The death penalty mention on CNN (at least the one I saw) was for deliberate spreading of the virus and if I recall was put in place in Heilongjiang. That makes sense since it is all too close to attempting mass murder, and the last thing anyone needs is for this to get loose in North Korea (which is rather suspiciously not reporting any cases).

If someone doesn't have the gene CCR5, it makes them resistant to HIV. Europeans mostly don't have this gene cos the plague back in 1300s used the same gene to enter the cells. So the ones that have it died. Natural selection, not napalm.

So, we know CCP was torturing the Uighur Turks in China, keeping them in detention camps under very bad conditions. Haven't heard of any deaths from virus in that area.

This virus may be something prepared by USA especially for China and they allowed Chinese agents steal it.
    Another theory..

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    conspiracy theories? thats it?
    Not a bad one huh? Better than Iraq having chemical weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    conspiracy theories? thats it?
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/whit...ry?id=68807304

ABC News' Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton asked the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease about concerns that stem from misinformation online that the novel coronavirus could have been engineered or deliberately released.

"There's always that concern," Dr. Anthony Fauci said. "And one of the things that people are doing right now is very carefully looking at sequences to see if there's even any possibility much less likelihood that that's going on. And you could ultimately determine that. So people are looking at it, but right now, the focus is on what are we going to do about what we have."
    Anti-War / Anti-CIA / Cynic / Unpopular Opinions