Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Improved physical health, life expediency, and confidence? Yeah man, who wants that?

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Lets rather talk about why people even wanna pay for a gym membership. I tie my shoes and 30 mins later im done with my 5k run. It costed nothing. If I wanna do strength work I can just do some exercises at home, or go to a local park that has some items like a chin up bar, so I can do 10 of them, break do something else and so on.

TLDR; Gym is overrated, and you dont need it. Free shit is better.
    This sounds like an excuse used for being to lazy to go to the gym.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do it to stay healthy. I've been fat when I was younger and I would like to never be that again, fat that is.
    Then it will also benefit me later in life, like a way to avoid back problems etc.
    Also it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by urfaustus View Post
    This sounds like an excuse used for being to lazy to go to the gym.
    He's saying he does the exercise without the gym. If not for the exercise, why do you go to the gym?

People will find all kinds of excuses to justify their counterproductive lifestyle.

You stay healthy and you'll get a girl if you keep at it (assuming you're somewhat interested).

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Personally, gymming has given me zero mental benefits.
    Ask me how I know you're a complete DYEL who has been lifting the same baby weight for years

Seeing this after just getting home from the gym. I enjoy the social aspect. Me and my buddy love getting other guys together and creating fun circuits. We have a solid relationship with the gym owner so he will purchase certain equipment for us to utilize and we help bring in members to get involved in the training. It's more than just training the body. It is all about strengthening men, encouraging them to push themselves, giving them an outlet to let go of the stress of jobs and anything else going on, and a place where we can just talk.

Essentially the gym for me is a place where men can just be men. Moving their body, talking, and enjoying the aspect of training and socializing.

To me I see it as a personal challenge. I am always trying to improve myself. And I treat going to the gym as a real life RPG grind. How many hours/days/months do we spend improving a digital representation of ourselves in a game. Better equipment, better stats, more health, longer life, etc. Going to the gym is just the same but with tangible and possibly more rewarding results. Yeah it hurts and diets suck. You just have to determine what is more important to you.

Besides, at this point, I have put so much time and effort into getting to where I am that quitting or slowing down at this point is an anathema to me.

Can't speak for everyone, but I love going to the gym. I live in a small town, most, if not all, of my friends, are living elsewhere and I used to have a sedentary life. I don't see myself quitting the gym anytime soon. I've always been slim, now I see my gains, even if modest, and that is a big confidence boost. Not to mention the gym is a place to meet different people which is always nice. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with it, though.

Lotta "alpha male" (lol) muscle head types. Just try to ignore them for the most part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    Ask me how I know you're a complete DYEL who has been lifting the same baby weight for years
    Heres one.

No one gives a fuck what you lift, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Depends. 3 days a week, 30 minutes a day for someone with a sedentary lifestyle is way better than 0 days, 0 minutes a week in the gym. Especially if it is high intensity cardio.

If you are trying to seriously gain muscle, I agree with you. 4-5 days a week, and hour to hour and a half each session, working on alternating muscle groups each time, will work much better.
    first of all you're wrong.....putting a time limit on it means nothing, if you go to the gym for 30 minutes and sit on a machine with your phone that 30 minutes was wasted.

putting a time limit on your workout is limiting and shortchanges any kind of benefit you're going to get.

you have to go, with a list of things to do, don't leave until you're finished and then youll get the benefit. Sedentary lifestyle or not.

*snip*

but the amount of misinformation in this thread or reasons why people aren't going to the gym because of others either hurting themselves or telling them to is ridiculous.

live your life the way you want and if you don't go to the gym and use the excuse it's because others....xxx then it's really just you projecting that you don't want to go.

the reason people who dont go to the gym get injured is because if you aren't taking care of your body it deteriorates and that's when injuries happen.

*snip*

im happy to help

infracted - advertising
    Last edited by Crissi; 2020-02-07 at 05:33 PM.
    Master Personal Trainer Instagram: Understarmor
    Certified Fitness Nutritionist Facebook: Paul Starnes Fitness
    Certified in Corrective Exercise Science

If you have any fitness/nutrition related questions, feel free to DM me!

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the simplest response is that modern gym culture is an overreaction to how out of shape people are, which is partially because of how unhealthy and artificial most food is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    WTF? Tie your shoes, run 5 miles, do pull ups and stuff for free (there are also educational videos on how to exercise without weights etc) - and he is "lazy" for not throwing money at something that he can get to work for him for free?
    Ya, bodybuilding costs zero money.

This guys response is that he can’t understand why people would want to spend money on a gym because he only thinks you should do weightless beta male excersises while listening to Disturbed

It's like any leisure activity. For some people it's a bit of fun, for others it's core to their identity. It's been great stress relief for me, I lost a lot of weight (then gained some of it back), and my back problems all but disappeared. Each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Only nothing what you said is in either the OP nor the guy you quoted - it all comes from something within you that you are projecting.
    Yes it is... he is being pretentious and closed minded. Thinking he is the only one who Found out you can exercise without a gym. He doesnt understand why anyone would want to pay for the convenience of a gym. not everyone is on the same exercise programs with the same goals.

Quote Originally Posted by scelero View Post
    considering all this person had to do was tie their shoes and go run.... I'd say that's pretty damn convenient too. More so actually.

You're talking about novice body builders mainly. Those who don't want all those weights in their home.
    ----------------

My thoughts. Who cares? People spend more time upkeeping their cars than they do their own bodies. So someone has dialed in on how their body works and has it finely tuned. Good for them.
    Because you can get a trainer to help you alongside the membership. Not everyone have the time or mental space to properly look into what and how to train at home, the resources/money to actually pay for training stuff all at once, or make a golod meal-plan that fits the type of training you want to do.

People from many different backgrounds make use of training centers. Some people are just gym-rats, other people do it because of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Convenience. Should be obvious.
    By the time im in the gym I could already be done with my run, or close. First get dressed, bike down there, get inside and then deal with the machines....nah. I can understand if you live in a toxic-filled urban city, me living in a small western town in Denmark in suburbia I got plenty of fresh air and roads to run on, but if you live in a city with good places I dont get it...Also just in the context that probly 80% of people who pay for a gym dont go there.

Im my kitchen area I have a table and a counter top where I can just lift my self up...Fuck I can go into my bedroom where I have a little carpet and do exercises there...Unless you are pro about it like some arnold-type I dont get gyms.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    Lest we forget that Sam Bennett couldn't do a single pullup at the NHL combine.

Proficiency in the gym does not necessarily equal athleticism, and I'll take my athleticism over "gains" any day.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Understarmor View Post
    first of all you're wrong.....putting a time limit on it means nothing, if you go to the gym for 30 minutes and sit on a machine with your phone that 30 minutes was wasted.

putting a time limit on your workout is limiting and shortchanges any kind of benefit you're going to get.

you have to go, with a list of things to do, don't leave until you're finished and then youll get the benefit. Sedentary lifestyle or not.

*snip*

but the amount of misinformation in this thread or reasons why people aren't going to the gym because of others either hurting themselves or telling them to is ridiculous.

live your life the way you want and if you don't go to the gym and use the excuse it's because others....xxx then it's really just you projecting that you don't want to go.

the reason people who dont go to the gym get injured is because if you aren't taking care of your body it deteriorates and that's when injuries happen.

*snip*

im happy to help
    OMG! I didn't realize you actually have to work out at the gym, I thought you could get gains through osmosis! /s

Really though, what made you draw the conclusion that I was saying you don't have to work out during your dedicated time allotment at the gym? People have schedules. If your life allows you to go to the gym for an hour, then spend that hour working your routine. Not sure how that wasn't automatically implied.

"you have to go, with a list of things to do, don't leave until you're finished and then youll get the benefit" That sort of dedication is great, but not realistic for everyone. I'd suggest to develop a routine that can be completed within your allotted time. Not everyone's schedule allows them to spend more time than planned at the gym.

As a personal trainer, you should understand that different people have different goals, different lifestyles, and different starting points. If someone is sedentary, telling them to spend hours at the gym 5 days a week can be very intimidating. The way you responded, you sound like the type that a beginner would quit on quite quickly.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2020-02-07 at 05:34 PM.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.