Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Congress Passes Protecting the Right to Organize Act

Ongoing In: Nancy Pelosi, the most progressive Speaker ever. 2018 Dems, the most progressive and diverse majority in like forever.

The most significant bill to strengthen workers’ ability to organize in the past 85 years passed the House Thursday— the latest sign of momentum for organized labor.

'Victory for Workers!': House Praised for Passing Landmark PRO Act to Strengthen Unions and Labor Rights

Union leaders and labor rights advocates applauded the Democrat-controlled U.S. House for passing landmark legislation Thursday night that supporters have called one of the most notable efforts to expand workers' rights in several decades.

"This is a watershed moment for the labor movement and shows what working people can accomplish when we come together to demand a voice on the job and a seat at the table," said Lee Saunders, president of AFSCME, the nation's largest trade union of public employees.

"Make no mistake, this is the most significant step Congress has taken to strengthen labor laws in the United States in 85 years and a win for workers everywhere," said AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka, declaring the measure "the labor movement's number one legislative priority this year."
    Government Affiliated Snark

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not going to even make it to the Senate, but it's something the Dems can hammer the GOP about in the coming election.

So why are people clapping when it hasn't even been seen by the Senate and or by the president? What "victory" was there exactly? A little bit too soon for that.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-02-08 at 12:39 AM.

Dead bill due to McConnell

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    And as long as people are constantly reminded that McConnell is the reason it's a dead bill, that's fine too.

As long as people are constantly reminded of the fact that the House is continue to work on passing bills to benefit all Americans and McConnell keeps refusing to even let them be voted on in the Senate...good things will come of it.

Wow, what a shitshow. Basically, if a union election fails, the NLRB can just say it wasn't fair and form the union anyway. It's a smarter scam than "card check" was, because people could see through the obvious bullshit of removing secret ballot union elections outright, so basically they are instead giving a federal agency discretion to ignore the election and betting on being able to control the make-up of that board.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    It's not going to even make it to the Senate, but it's something the Dems can hammer the GOP about in the coming election.
    Problem is Trumka can't pull the lever in November for his rank-and-file, and his rank-and-file are mostly people that the DNC at-large has been explicitly saying for about 6 years they aren't interested in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    ... due to being trash, but McConnell gets to wad it up, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    So why are people clapping when it hasn't even been seen by the Senate and or by the president? What "victory" was there exactly? A little bit too soon for that.
    Well, they still achieved the passage in the House. I.e. they did their part of the job. Just because the others down the line will probably not continue the project doesn't mean you can't celebrate finishing your part of it. Gotta stay positive when doing your duty and not get dragged down by the one that never made it to the water.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole point of it is to tout it in campaign ads and point out how the Senate GOP are the real "Do Nothing" party in Congress.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Well, they still achieved the passage in the House. I.e. they did their part of the job. Just because the others down the line will probably not continue the project doesn't mean you can't celebrate finishing your part of it. Gotta stay positive when doing your duty and not get dragged down by the one that never made it to the water.
    So which one is the crab and which one is the seagull between Trump and Mcconnel?

I'd say Trump is the crab because the crabs look orange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Right. its a demonstration that both sides are not the same.

Also those clapping represent millions more Americans.

The two parties now speak for dramatically different segments of the American economy.
    Republicans represent the smaller, fading segment, while Democrats represent the larger, growing one, fueled by finance, professional services and digital innovation in diverse urban areas.
    With a few races still undecided, data from the Brookings Institution show that districts won by Democrats account for 61 percent of America’s gross domestic product, districts won by Republicans 38 percent.
    One side feels that prosperity should be shared with those that worked to produce it.
    Government Affiliated Snark

This is the federal version of the HIGHLY UNPOPULAR (even among Dems) AB5 bill in CA among ICs and the self-employed.

Between this and the New Way Forward bill...are the Dems TRYING to lose in November?

Are the GOP trying to lose in November by fucking the American Worker even further?

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    This is the federal version of the HIGHLY UNPOPULAR (even among Dems) AB5 bill in CA among ICs and the self-employed.
    As someone who lives in CA and thus is very familiar with AB5, even a cursory glance at this bill tells me that's a load of crap.

Between this and the New Way Forward bill...are the Dems TRYING to lose in November?
    I am slightly biased as i did the retirement accounts for one of the US's largest unions prior to my move to Oceania but to take power away from those who currently hold it and force them to spread wealth unions are a fantastic way to do it. The union i used to work for had a saying, Just because you own it does not mean its yours and they got almost everything they wanted when the rubber meets the road because the business understood that missing days of production would cause more public backlash and lost revenue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you actually know what's in AB5 or did you just read that there's controversy and assume that it's automatically bad.

Because the fact you think that this is even remotely similar tells me that no, you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Do you actually know what's in AB5 or did you just read that there's controversy and assume that it's automatically bad.

Because the fact you think that this is even remotely similar tells me that no, you don't.
    His response looks like a cut/paste of a Trump Tweet.

Didn't Trump hold some sort of garden party for one of their failed attempts to repeal Obamacare before they hid it in the Tax Scam?

Dems in the house were elected to do a job. This is them doing it.

We can only hope at least some voters in the redder states will wake the fuck up and see how their republican senators aren't accomplishing anything.

Because it's another in the long line of over 400 Bill's passed by the house, yet the right loves to claim the House has done nothing.

Somewhere in McConnell's drawer, space is being made right now.