Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Krav maga is mostly horse shit. You should look into BJJ if you actually want to be prepared for a physical altercation.
    I already mentioned I trained in BJJ. And I'm not going out of my way to train in krav maga, it's just available to me for free through my sister's bf. I've also taken other martial arts but not for too long and they didn't really mesh with me. I just apply whatever works for me from what I've learned through both training and experience, but like I also said, I haven't been in a real fight in over 15 years. Doesn't mean I've forgotten how to or anything, just that it hasn't come to that, and I'm honestly glad it hasn't. I used to think fighting all the time was just normal. Then later in life I learned most of my friends have never even been in a fight (not counting stuff like with siblings). Anyway, point is, I can defend myself.

BJJ is definitely one I would continue training in if I knew where around here that isn't also super inconvenient with my schedule, though.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

4 pages and the OP hasnt been back. Yall getting trolled..

Krav maga is mostly horse shit. You should look into BJJ if you actually want to be prepared for a physical altercation.
    Depends; civil krav mostly is horse shit, military krav definitely isn't. Many Israeli soldiers train jiu jitsu* as well, by the way. It's what you need if you're serious about self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    4 pages and the OP hasnt been back. Yall getting trolled..
    I don't really think anyone cares about the OP at this point; we're just conversing.

*whenever someone that's serious about fighting says "jiu jitsu", they mean what people incorrectly refer to as "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu"; it's not Brazilian, it's Japanese and the Gracie's influece, albeit valuable, doesn't justify the "Brazilian" tag in front of it. No one, no one, calls it "BJJ" in Brazil, for example. The just say "jiu jiiiiitsu".
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-02-08 at 09:08 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they’re overcompensating, they require some need to feel special so they think having a hot bod will make them worthy in some sense. I pity them. I pity anyone who believes in any of the bullshit that the common “civilized” person partakes in.

Gymming fixes depression? Lmao, how about you plebes wake up and realize THIS WORLD causes depression, and the only thing that will FIX (getting temporary high from a hit of a chemical in your brain is not a fix for depression, it only tricks you into accepting this horrible horrible thing we’ve created) is FIXING THE WORLD. People are not meant to blindly follow the modern nightmare of urbanization and collective bullshittery that is the media. It is not natural, it is completely fucking insane.

But muh endorphins lullllllw
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2020-02-08 at 09:15 PM.

There are significant differences in the way BJJ is taught and JJ. You don’t really need the weapons/kata bullshit. Hence me saying BJJ for combat training. And even the military stuff is horse shit for KM, hence them training in JJ.
    You seem to have misundertood me; I've been training bjj for quite a while, but I don't agree with the nomenclature for it's not Brazilian at all; it existed, in its current form, long before the Gracies pulled their marketing stunt. Brazilians - in Brazil - don't even call it BJJ; they just call it Jiu Jitsu, as it should.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-02-08 at 09:59 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Kinda like they don’t call it chinese food in china... Where I live there are JJ schools and BJJ schools. It’s important to say which you’re discussing so morons don’t end up doing katas 3 days a week.
    No, not like that at all.

We don't call it BJJ either. We call it Jiu Jitsu, or grappling. Why do you think Keenan Corneluis dropped the "American Jiu Jitsu" bomb? "BJJ" in its current form, existed long before the Gracie and Fadda family pulled their marketing stunts and claimed they "revolutionised" the arte suave. Individuals like John Danaher gave Jiu Jitsu more than Helio, Carlson or Rickson put together.

Jiu Jitsu = BJJ = Kosen Judo

Conventional Jiu Jitsu and Judo are watered down versions for people who want to tell themselves they practise a martial art, but don't really want to get hurt in the process. You can say the same thing about every other Mcdojo form of karate and basically every form of kung fun imaginable.

If anything, the Gracies are hurting the art, with all their bullshit IBJJF rules and restrictions.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-02-08 at 10:08 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'd take a plain-built guy with some empathy and a sense of humor over a meathead any day.
    I mean I see Girls say this all the time, but the moment a "meathead" with the Empathy and sense of Humour also came along the plain-built guy would be forgotten pretty damn fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Lets rather talk about why people even wanna pay for a gym membership. I tie my shoes and 30 mins later im done with my 5k run. It costed nothing. If I wanna do strength work I can just do some exercises at home, or go to a local park that has some items like a chin up bar, so I can do 10 of them, break do something else and so on.

TLDR; Gym is overrated, and you dont need it. Free shit is better.
    The answers are so obvious that I'm pretty sure it's not an actual question, but just the usual attempt at posturing (even when the subject is dumb).

Basically, a gym has all the facilities required, so you don't need to waste time going to the park and going back home to take a shower and you can do much more efficient, adequate and varied exercises with the stuff available. So basically : convenience and efficiency.

If people can make their sexual orientation, gender and skin colour their lifestyle and personality, then it's not so outlandish to think people can make the gym life their lifestyle. That's at least a hobby.

It's the ideal beauty standard now for men to be bodybuilders. Most of us will probably live long enough to see it change again though, so prioritizing a healthy back over bulging biceps might not be the dumbest thing.

You got some issues there bud. Might want to work them out instead of ranting about it on a forum. And I have done training at 10th planet as well, but the most prevalent schools for Americans(the two people who were conversing before you jumped in) are BJJ. Finding a quality JJ studio that isn’t conventional is much harder and calling it BJJ is enough to set them on the right path. I’m not trying to put the Gracies on a pedestal, but they have clearly done a shit ton for JJ so stop pretending their family is garbage.
    Why do I have issues? Because I happen to know Jiu Jitsu's history after having trained for 15 years? I don't mind you lacking that knowledge, which is why I'm sharing what I know - be grateful.

I've faced a handful of 10p grapplers in competition, but I've never trained with them. But in the end, it's just Jiu Jitsu/grappling without the gi, with a spacey name and the "trade mark" rubber guard which also existed long before Eddy Bravo used it as a gap in the market. As did the k-guard before Giles, the worm guard before Keenan, etc. etc.

Allow me to correct you again: I never said, nor suggested the Gracies are "garbage". Carlson did quite a bit for the art and my professor was one of his first black belts, but Barra and IBJJF aren't really helping out. The Fadda's did quite a bit for the art as well, why doesn't anyone mention them?

Marketing - Something the Gracies excel at.

They wanted to call it Gracie Jiu Jitsu to make sure people didn't confuse it with the watered down western style of JJ, but the Fadda's, rightly so, disagreed. They found common ground for the sake of making money and renamed it "Brazialian Jiu Jitsu". Ergo, it's not Brazilian, because it's not from Brazil. It's from Japan and call me old fashioned, but I give credit where credit's due.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-02-08 at 10:48 PM.

I feel like i'm reading a longform SIR comic: https://imgur.com/gallery/241LJ

I have the knowledge. You were just ranting about it for no real reason. I explained why I said BJJ instead of JJ. And you’ve acknowledged that there’s a big difference between Japanese schools that teach it and the rest. I too give credit where it’s due, and the Gracies did a shit ton for JJ and the way it’s taught in schools that aren’t conventional. You go ahead and keep pretending your 15 years is something spectacular though.
    It wasn't a rant, it was sharing a fact. You really don't need to get all pissy about it.

The Japanese schools, with Japanes black belts, in Japan, teach Jiu Jitsu, sometimes referred to as "Kosen Judo". Yes, the kind with closed guards, open guards, ashi garami (leg entanglements), juji gatame (arm bars), senkaku (triangles), cross senkaku, kazushi (disbalance), kata gatame (arm triangle/head and arm choke), hadaka jime (mata leon choke/rnc) etc. All BJJ names that have an older Japanese name, because guess what, that's where they originate from. They don't train with weapons, nor do they do katas. What you're referring to, is western Jiu Jitsu - Jiu Jitsu for white people that wanted to be cool, but didn't want to sweat or get hurt.

Considering the fact that most people quit at blue belt, I think the dedication I put in is quite spectacular, to be honest (especially because I was massively sand-bagged at purple), but that wasn't the point of sharing that particular detail. It was to make you comprehend that I'm not making stuff up, JJ & wrestling are and have been for a very long time, an important part of my life.

Could you mention some of this "shit ton" the Gracies did? I know what they did, I also know what the Faddas did. Do you?
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-02-08 at 11:31 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Seems to me that a LOT of people don't only have it as a hobby ore as a fix for X pain, but make it as a life-style.

I gym three times a week, but that's only because I work in an office and I'd like to have a fully functioning back at 70. I don't see it as a lifestyle, just something I do for 30-40 minutes each monday, wednesday, friday.

Some seem to think it's the solution for all life's problems, though.

"Don't have a girlfriend? Just lift, bro! Girls will chase after you!"
    "Don't have a job? Just lift, bro! Employers will love your confident pose!"
    "Depressed? Just lift, bro! The dopamine kick will make you happy!"

Personally, gymming has given me zero mental benefits. I mean, it hasn't given me any negatives either, but after several years of gymming I can't say that it has improved my mental health in any regard (not that I've bene depressed). All it has given me is a stronger lower back that doesn't get completely ruined by sitting in front of a computer for 9+ hours every day.

Gymming feels like it's the new modern religion, and I honestly don't understand why.
    sounds like you spend a lot of time every week wasting yours and everyone around yous time at the gym. its not ok to be beta

7+ Year Old Account

See the level of popularity JJ has gained thanks to the Gracies. Then see the literal millions who only know about it because of the Gracies. Faddas has done a ton as well, but without the Gracies most of today’s practitioners wouldn’t even know what JJ is. And they’re pretty good at rolling too.

Your arrogance about your 15 years is noted by someone who started training 20 years ago, as is your racism. Get out of your bubble buddy.
    Ah, so the only thing you could mention is their marketing? Which is what I had already said. That doesn't really constitute a "shit ton".

Calling me a racist now, that's pretty pathetic, isn't it? You're so angry, you really need to calm down, get those emotions in check before you hurt yourself.

Before Gordon Ryan, Gary Tonon, Craig Jones, Eddie Cummings, John Danaher, ADCC, Polaris, Kasai, EBI, UFC, Pride, etc. you only had IBJJF, tournaments organised by the Gracies which;

- Cost a lot of money to participate in, rather than being able to win anything substantial
    - Force you to pay an annual fee for your belt (especially at black) and force the school to pay an annual fee to have its students participate
    - Purple belts and above pay an additional fee, beside the fee you pay to participate
    - Have rule sets that almost destroyed fighters' interest in the Gi
    - Have rule sets that reward stalling
    - Have rule sets that promote lazy Jiu Jitsu and water down the kills you need
    - Have rule sets that stagnate grapplers' skills
    - Don't do anything about corrupt refs and point skimming
    - Promote double guard pulls
    - Lose everything? Still get a bronze medal - shared third position.
    - Pro events, wich their lack luster financial rewards, pay a fraction of that already low reward to women

I could go on for a while, but why bother.

Then, of course, you have the Gracie Barra schools that force you to buy their apparel. You alreay have 15 rash guards and 10 Gis? Alas, no Barra logo, no access to the mats.

Now, you have tournaments where you can actually make money as a grappler and the Gracies had absolutely nothing to do with that. Sponsors are starting to dish out real money and fighters are finally able to make a decent living.

Are you going to call me a racist again for stating facts?

Twenty years, yeah, your lack of knowledge makes me doubt that very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    snippety snip
    The way body builders look generally makes me want to puke. But I have to admit that Arny looked good.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-02-09 at 11:49 AM.

Staying healthy is good but I've always thought gyms were pointless.

You can exercise just as well if not better in your own apartment .. you only need some weights, a mat and a pair of running shoes.
    Other than that it's

-free
    -don't have to be around random people and interact with them, good if you're introverted or self conscious
    -saves time as you don't have to waste any on driving there and back
    -more flexible times, you don't have to care if the gym is closed whatnot
    -you can combine exercise with actual work that needs doing like cleaning or yard work

I have to stay in shape for my job, so I spend 4 hours a week in the gym and 3 hours a week doing cardio. Staying in shape isn't always about self-aggrandizement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Staying healthy is good but I've always thought gyms were pointless.

You can exercise just as well if not better in your own apartment .. you only need some weights, a mat and a pair of running shoes.
    Other than that it's

-free
    -don't have to be around random people and interact with them, good if you're introverted or self conscious
    -saves time as you don't have to waste any on driving there and back
    -more flexible times, you don't have to care if the gym is closed whatnot
    -you can combine exercise with actual work that needs doing like cleaning or yard work
    you forgt the most important thing: fresh nice air!

I used to be an insurance examiner. People who spend a lot of time at the gym or, even worse, run as their primary form of exercise, are considered risk factors, not healthy people. While being obese may strip a few years off of your life on average, doing the types of exercise people here are advocating is going to shred your knees and back by age 50.

Do a moderate amount of simple body weight exercises at home. That’s all you need to do to maximize health benefits, and it doesn’t come at the cost of your joints and back, which are significantly more likely to ruin your later life than any other health problems that could be caused by lack of exercise.

We are even starting to see scientific evidence that too much exercise may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Ultimately, this stupid obsession a lot of people have with “health” is asinine. A lot of people just want an excuse to shit on overweight people, when in reality being a shitty driver or drinking a little too much is FAR more likely to shorten your life or ruin your health than being overweight. Again, this comes from working in insurance, so there is copious amounts of math backing this.

Bottom line, don’t eat too shitty, do a moderate amount of body weight exercises at home, and you’ll be fine.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady