Thread: No Man's Sky

10+ Year Old Account
    holy shit, i thought this game would be a nice, easy alternative to star citizen that i could play solo after work but its actually quite complex and dont know what to do

i played it for 1.5h now on a PC with m+kb. i dont even know how to change camera between TPP and FPP. what else should i know to enjoy this game? i have a hard time just surviving radiation on a planet.
    general tips are welcome

thanks in advance
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're wanting to switch perspective, going with the default keybinds, hit X, then Q a few times until you hit the gear, then scroll through that menu to find the 'Change Perspective' option.
    The Z and X menus are going to be your best friends for everything.

And I fully recommend getting a controller, even a cheap one, for flying. As soon as I get in my ship I grab my controller to fly around, then when I land I just put it down and go back to using mouse and keyboard.

Oh, and as for surviving, try to stick with more earth-like type planets. Rainy planets, Bountiful, Tropical, etc, until you get stuff like the radiation protection.
    And once you get that stuff, keep it charged. You'll always want to have a fair bit of Carbon, Oxygen, and Sodium on you at pretty much all times to keep your suite and tool charged.
    Last edited by Vouksh89; 2020-02-09 at 02:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    If you're wanting to switch perspective, going with the default keybinds, hit X, then Q a few times until you hit the gear, then scroll through that menu to find the 'Change Perspective' option.
    The Z and X menus are going to be your best friends for everything.

And I fully recommend getting a controller, even a cheap one, for flying. As soon as I get in my ship I grab my controller to fly around, then when I land I just put it down and go back to using mouse and keyboard.

Oh, and as for surviving, try to stick with more earth-like type planets. Rainy planets, Bountiful, Tropical, etc, until you get stuff like the radiation protection.
    And once you get that stuff, keep it charged. You'll always want to have a fair bit of Carbon, Oxygen, and Sodium on you at pretty much all times to keep your suite and tool charged.
    i do have an xbox 360 controller already but i rarely use it for games that really require it like emulated pokemon or i dont know, dark souls and racing games

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    i do have an xbox 360 controller already but i rarely use it for games that really require it like emulated pokemon or i dont know, dark souls and racing games
    but what he's saying is use BOTH controller and m+kb. have the controller plugged in and use your mouse for exploration and then once you get in your ship, pick up the controller and use that. The game detects inputs from either one. I use the same setup with GTA for vehicles(controller) vs combat(m+kb).
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

10+ Year Old Account
    How do u actually save progress in this game?

Also is there any way to turn vsync off? Theres a significant input lag

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To save:
    1. Find an outpost and interact with a beacon - the one you use to claim the discovery of it
    2. Get into your ship - and get out
    3. As you learn to build your base you will learn how to create a portable save point to carry with you for convenience.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    To save:
    1. Find an outpost and interact with a beacon - the one you use to claim the discovery of it
    2. Get into your ship - and get out
    3. As you learn to build your base you will learn how to create a portable save point to carry with you for convenience.
    Its quite gimmicky imo

Is there any way to keep the HUD turned on at all times?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its quite gimmicky imo

Is there any way to keep the HUD turned on at all times?
    Well it is a survival game, kinda

Persistent hud - only with mods
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

There's several ways.

1) Exit your spacecraft (autosaves)
    2) Construct and place down a Save Point or Beacon and manually save.

It's worth to note that in each save file you get 1 "autosave" and 1 "Manual" save that overwrite eachother. This is actually quite handy if you're experimenting with a lot of things and want to keep a "good" savepoint way down the chain via manual saving.

Also is there any way to turn vsync off? Theres a significant input lag
    Can't help you there - I'm just a lowly Console player and don't have to deal with "Master Race" issues like that. ;P

- - - Updated - - -

i dont even know how to change camera between TPP and FPP.
    Don't know if anybody has answered this yet, but it's easy.

I forget the hierarchy, but you press "Down" on the d-pad to bring up the HUD menu, then nav to the one icon that lets you toggle between the two.

FYI - it saves your preferences individually between Starship and Player, so you can play FPS in Spaceship while running around in Third person, if you so desire.

Visited one of the community bases and it broke my game lmao.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can eliminate vsync in settings. Also turn up max FPS.

There's a mod on nexus (don't remember the name) that get rid of the hazy look and significantly improves game performance.

Planets with survival hazards aren't meant to be be settled (unless you are in for a real challenge) same way we wouldn't settle Mercury in real life for instance. You there, poke around. Maybe find some data/treasure, then gtfo. Survival on hostile planets get a lot easier with progression though. Dig caves to aid exploration on hostile planets.

The UI is a real pain at first then it becomes completely intuitive. You can also hotkey stuff

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You can eliminate vsync in settings. Also turn up max FPS.

There's a mod on nexus (don't remember the name) that get rid of the hazy look and significantly improves game performance.

Planets with survival hazards aren't meant to be be settled (unless you are in for a real challenge) same way we wouldn't settle Mercury in real life for instance. You there, poke around. Maybe find some data/treasure, then gtfo. Survival on hostile planets get a lot easier with progression though. Dig caves to aid exploration on hostile planets.

The UI is a real pain at first then it becomes completely intuitive. You can also hotkey stuff
    Thanks, I will check these out. Playing in experimental is also a big performance boost apparently. They've done a lot to alleviate some of the QoL stuff, but the menus are still a pain. They really need to look into reducing the number of clicks it takes to do things, like adding fuel to your refiner and what not.

- - - Updated - - -

Downloaded the synthesis mods pack from nexus mods and the game runs way smoother now. Animations are crisper and faster, there's more fauna, etc. I wish the game still had more variation - I feel like every planet within the same biome always looks the same 80% of the time. Flora / Fauna doesn't really change that much, you never get any really interesting geographic locations (thinking something like Arches National Park, huge cave systems, etc.).

I really like this game a lot, and I hope they are working on a sequel with better tech that can truly live up to the full potential a game like this could be.
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2020-02-10 at 04:36 AM.

With that update we can have No Mans Sky: Farscape Edition

10+ Year Old Account
    We are back with another free update for No Man’s Sky. Introducing the EXO MECH update!

https://www.nomanssky.com/2020/04/no...-mech-release/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fid View Post
    We are back with another free update for No Man’s Sky. Introducing the EXO MECH update!

Looks fun! The mechs definitely need a gun of some sort, beyond the mining tool.

"Added a coordinates readout to the Exocraft HUD data."

Alright, the rest is fluff. THIS is the real update.

Quote Originally Posted by Fid View Post

Anything new game play wise? I liked NMS but after the story mode was completed, there wasn't that much to do anymore.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Anything new game play wise? I liked NMS but after the story mode was completed, there wasn't that much to do anymore.
    I mean after the story, gameplay is exploration and crafting. The update adds cool exploration tools and some QoL features.

One key takeaway is that exocraft are actually useful instead of just juggling your ships for storage and environmental protection while exploring (at least that's how I played).

Resident Cosplay Progressive

After watching the Internet Historian video on No Mans Sky I decided to try it and got 3 other friends to get it as well. So far we are having a blast. I highly recommend anyone who is thinking about trying it to try it out.