Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    As a Sylvanasfag I'm on pins and needles. As long as they keep releasing badass cinematics with her I don't care about the direction of the story. She can be evil or she can be redeemed, whichever option keeps her in the game the longest.

Naw. Sylvy is the bad guy. She’s doing all this for entirely selfish reasons. And I say this as a Sylvy fan.

Blizzard storytelling is as straight as an arrow. They've never done a major plot twist / secret reveal ever. If Blizzard tells you someone is the Big Bad, that's it, end of discussion. The Jailer and Sylvanas are bad guys. End of story.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    snip
    If Sylvannas was a dude none of these threads would exist, most likely yours included. It would all be chalked up to well they are super evil we need to kill em. They have been ramping Sylvanas up as an evil Villain for many expansions now, she has next to no redeeming qualities left. She just needs to be killed off and laid to rest permanently so the story can move on.

The Jailer is a totally new character, whose face was already leaked by someone who visited Blizzard's HQ some time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUwi5Di2xWA

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    If Sylvannas was a dude none of these threads would exist, most likely yours included. It would all be chalked up to well they are super evil we need to kill em. They have been ramping Sylvanas up as an evil Villain for many expansions now, she has next to no redeeming qualities left. She just needs to be killed off and laid to rest permanently so the story can move on.
    That's probably true for the community, but that sure hasn't stopped Blizz from trying to add at least twists of redemption to several of the major male villains.

The Arthas part of the Lich King was just holding back the army of the dead from wiping us all out
    Illidan got an entire expansion redemption arc
    Garrosh was made a product of Thrall not properly preparing him to lead and even made to look like a tragic figure when Thrall killed him
    AU Grom was set up as a villain, committed genocide, then got to have the "Draenor is Free!" line after helping out once. They then went on to have Yrel become a religious fanatic to give Grom a heroic last stand moment.
    Even Kil'jaeden got to have some lines about doing what he did because he saw no way to stop Sargeras so he sided with the Legion to protect the Eredar...
    Sargeras was also setup as a character trying to protect the cosmos from the threat of the Void Lords

Because of what we've seen with other characters I actually expect Sylvanas to get a redemption story at this point. I would honestly be surprised if Blizz didn't try to give her a redemption arc or some post-humous story about how she was actually protecting people from being imprisoned by an angry Azeroth or something. Half of WoW is basically "this character did bad things but had good reasons!".

They at least don't try that with Old Gods or things completely corrupted by Old Gods (Deathwing). I can only imagine how stupid a N'zoth redemption story would have looked. Like revealing the Old Gods used the curse of flesh to grant titan creations free will or something.
    Last edited by Fritters154; 2020-02-09 at 06:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    That's probably true for the community, but that sure hasn't stopped Blizz from trying to add at least twists of redemption to several of the major male villains.

The Arthas part of the Lich King was just holding back the army of the dead from wiping us all out
    Garrosh was made a product of Thrall not properly preparing him to lead and even made to look like a tragic figure when Thrall killed him
    AU Grom was set up as a villain, committed genocide, then got to have the "Draenor is Free!" line after helping out once
    Even Kil'jaeden got to have some lines about doing what he did because he saw no way to stop Sargeras so he sided with the Legion to protect the Eredar...
    Sargeras was also setup as a character trying to protect the cosmos from the threat of the Void Lords

Because of what we've seen with other characters I actually expect Sylvanas to get a redemption story at this point. I would honestly be surprised if Blizz didn't try to give her a redemption arc or some post-humous story about how she was actually protecting people from being imprisoned by an angry Azeroth or something.

They at least don't try that with Old Gods or things completely corrupted by Old Gods (Deathwing).
    I don't think Garrosh was shown to be redeemed in anyway at all, it only meant Thrall had some hand because he did chose Garrosh over others and thats on him. Garrosh can try and claim its all Thrall's fault but it seems like he didn't care too much until that final duel.

Kil'Jaeden was a surprise but that again does not erase the thousands of years of hounding Velen and his people and burning countless worlds for Sargeras. Even if he thinks he couldn't be stopped, he CHOSE to go along with it all. At best, death gave him time to think "Maybe I fucked up." Doesn't mean he's redeemable...just self reflection.

Sargeras same thing...purging worlds of life so they aren't corrupted is the worst you can do. Sure we get his reasoning but its still wrong and messed up. The thing about big villains who have some redeeming quality, it is the fact their horrible acts aren't ignored or pushed aside. They are acknowledged heavily.

At this point it would be weird if Sylvanas was forgiven by Tyrande, although Sylvie fans probably would welcome it...for obvious reasons.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Anyone thinking that Sylvanas is playing some sort of 4D chess, or has some grand plan, or some good intentions is setting themselves up for massive disappointment. What you see is what you get.

Remember the whole Teldrassil thing? "Wow, who burned it??" "It couldn't of been Sylvanas!" "...Oh, it was just Sylvanas.."

/Eyeroll
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    Anyone thinking that Sylvanas is playing some sort of 4D chess, or has some grand plan, or some good intentions is setting themselves up for massive disappointment. What you see is what you get.

Remember the whole Teldrassil thing? "Wow, who burned it??" "It couldn't of been Sylvanas!" "...Oh, it was just Sylvanas.."

/Eyeroll
    "Greymane caused the Burning of Teldrassil, he blew up the azerite caches found in Darnassus to halt Sylvanas' march, it will be revealed that Sylvanas never even wanted to attack Teldrassil and was actually trying to warn the night elves about Greymane's madness."
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Sylvanas haters?! Are you kidding me?!

She is a genocidal lunatic and a traitor to her own people. Disliking that is what a normal person does. Liking that is what is weird.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    "Greymane caused the Burning of Teldrassil, he blew up the azerite caches found in Darnassus to halt Sylvanas' march, it will be revealed that Sylvanas never even wanted to attack Teldrassil and was actually trying to warn the night elves about Greymane's madness."
    God don't even get me started on that.

They tried so damn hard to try and make it sound like the Alliance would genocide their own people my lord what an awful time to be on these forums.

EDIT: OT abt Forsaken, they are not natural creatures nor can they reproduce naturally, for them to exist a self-aware being has to die and be reanimated which has been proven to be a scarring experience.

They absolutely should not reproduce, and trying to twist that as Alliance racism is just bonehdead.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post

AU Grom was set up as a villain, committed genocide, then got to have the "Draenor is Free!" line after helping out once. They then went on to have Yrel become a religious fanatic to give Grom a heroic last stand moment.

Because of what we've seen with other characters I actually expect Sylvanas to get a redemption story at this point. I would honestly be surprised if Blizz didn't try to give her a redemption arc or some post-humous story about how she was actually protecting people from being imprisoned by an angry Azeroth or something. Half of WoW is basically "this character did bad things but had good reasons!".

They at least don't try that with Old Gods or things completely corrupted by Old Gods (Deathwing). I can only imagine how stupid a N'zoth redemption story would have looked. Like revealing the Old Gods used the curse of flesh to grant titan creations free will or something.
    Most of that is explaining their motivations absolutely none of them had any form of redemption except Illidain. Most of that was because his story line was off the rails batshit for TBC and made little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Blizzard storytelling is as straight as an arrow. They've never done a major plot twist / secret reveal ever. If Blizzard tells you someone is the Big Bad, that's it, end of discussion. The Jailer and Sylvanas are bad guys. End of story.
    Illidan proves this isn't true. He was the villain of TBC, and then we find out in his novel and Legion that not only was he not a villain, but he was trying to save us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Again, Illidan proves this isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post

/Eyeroll
    Then, why does Steve Danuser say this?

"Question: With BFA, we have the option to support Saurfang or Sylvanas. Do you feel like that was a success? Did that work out how you wanted? And might we be seeing more of that in Shadowlands?

Answering: Steve Danuser

"We knew that when we were making Battle for Azeroth that it was going to be an expansion that tested people's feelings and loyalties. And again, putting these two sides against each other in a way that really hadn't been done to that degree in WoW yet, so far. And knowing that what we were doing with Sylvanas, where she was going into the Shadowlands, all this time, she's been doing these things in BfA because we knew where she was going to end up. It's hard when you can't yet connect the dots for people, you have to kind of set that trajectory in motion. So we knew that, well, it's going to look bad for Sylvanas; people are going to take some of this stuff wrong, but we have to stick to this."

If she's just so obviously a villain, then why continue to tease that there's something else going on that we don't know about?
    Last edited by AbalDarkwind; 2020-02-10 at 04:52 PM.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

3+ Year Old Account
    Since when ever has Blizzard put the FINAL expansion boss on the cover art/ Blizzcon video?

The only time they've done this was for Cataclysm and Deathwing.

The Jailor and 'Sylvanas' are 1st raid tier bosses. Mark my words!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivex View Post
    Since when ever has Blizzard put the FINAL expansion boss on the cover art/ Blizzcon video?

The only time they've done this was for Cataclysm and Deathwing.

The Jailor and 'Sylvanas' are 1st raid tier bosses. Mark my words!
    Oh your just being pedantic by not including the Lich King.

Also they did say Jailor was the big bad of the expasion. That said they said that about Grom in WoD and that bfa was focused on the Faction war.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    Oh your just being pedantic by not including the Lich King.

Also they did say Jailor was the big bad of the expasion. That said they said that about Grom in WoD and that bfa was focused on the Faction war.
    true i did forget WoTLK xD

Can I have a source regarding Jailor confirmed as the big bad? ty x

true i did forget WoTLK xD

Can I have a source regarding Jailor confirmed as the big bad? ty x
    Ahh I was assuming you were using Ruby Sanctum twilight dragon as the final boss :P

I validly remebered it from Blizzcon, looked it up on Wowpedia. It says it was during the BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: Q&A, not really in a position to find the exact timestamp sorry!

All this said, I do reckon Slyvannas will be early raid tier. Reckon Nathandos wont make it past launch endgame.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    Ahh I was assuming you were using Ruby Sanctum twilight dragon as the final boss :P

I validly remebered it from Blizzcon, looked it up on Wowpedia. It says it was during the BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: Q&A, not really in a position to find the exact timestamp sorry!

All this said, I do reckon Slyvannas will be early raid tier. Reckon Nathandos wont make it past launch endgame.
    Ah fair enough thanks for looking though!

Ah fair enough thanks for looking though!
    Wasn't a actually that hard to find. This is from the transcript on wowhead.

Q: Identity of mysterious jailer - is he someone that we know connected to death i.e. Argus or Helya?
    A: Intended to be a mysterious new figure - not someone we've met before but an important part of the cosmology of the Warcraft universe. Applying what we know about the universe to a new place. He's a center piece villain of this expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    I think this is too intelligent for Blizzard's writing.
    This.

Over the last 3 addons there hasn `t been any secret plot or a "ohhhh i didnt expect that" moment.
    Most of the time it`s the community and fans that construct some super awesome storys / plots.