Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Potential returning player.. worth resub right now?

Hey all, pretty simple question. I stopped playing pretty much around the time wow classic came out and Eternal Palace and lately i've been pretty bored. I was thinking about giving WoW another shot again(I've played since release and this is basically my first sub lapse.. Former hardcore raider and multi glad to give some background on the type of player i am).

Is it worth taking another look at the game and is there some good content to keep me satisfied for a while?

I've personally found 8.3 to be the best patch of the expansion.

Visions are fun shit.

There isn't much story in 8.3. All of it is a grind to keep you occupied until 9.0. And the said grind prevents you from enjoying other aspects of the game until you catch up with it and keep doing it every day to stay on top of the curve. So no, guard your sanity and stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooble View Post
    Hey all, pretty simple question. I stopped playing pretty much around the time wow classic came out and Eternal Palace and lately i've been pretty bored. I was thinking about giving WoW another shot again(I've played since release and this is basically my first sub lapse.. Former hardcore raider and multi glad to give some background on the type of player i am).

Is it worth taking another look at the game and is there some good content to keep me satisfied for a while?
    Some things you may want to consider:

8.3 is the final major patch of BfA. Ion has gone on record saying there will be no 8.3.5.
    Rumors are Shadowlands will be released between Aug-Oct.
    There's currently a 6 month sub deal with a mount( squeakers). Your view on shop mounts may vary.
    LFR wing 1 just released I think?

Everyone seems to think Horrific Visions are a great bit of fun. How long that piece of content will last though...probably not until the next expansion. But you do have a fair amount of content to work through if you haven't played since 8.2.

Personally I'd just go play something else. But it sounds like you're pretty invested in WoW and looking for excuses to come back. So I have to be honest and say that it's not a bad time to resub as long as you ignore all the rotten things Blizzard has being doing lately outside of the game.

I pretty much still play to level my alts. I haven't touched 8.3's story or legendary cloak at all. Just waiting for all the LFR wings to open so I can bang it out in one weekend. First thing I did when 8.3 launched was unlock the new allied races and heritage armors for Goblin/Worgen. Now I'm just leveling alts through Love Boss, so it depends on what you're into.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Everyone seems to think Horrific Visions are a great bit of fun.
    A substantial number of people appear to not agree with you on that.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    All I've seen are reviews that it's more or less the high point of the patch. Usually the complaints stem from the grinding needed to get thw currency to run a vision, not the vision itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post

Visions are fun shit.
    Agreed so far. I'm finding myself eager to log on and work on stuff again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The 'substantial number of people' whining on these forums amass to little more than a drop in the bucket of this game's player base.

oh god no. unless u play classic, its a blast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuze View Post
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

IMO: If you did not enjoy WoW at the time EP came out, then you won't enjoy it now. Visions are somewhat fun, but are only available a few times a week, so nothing too fulfilling. Also the fun you can have with them depends on the class you are playing, some are fun, some are not. Especially casters are not that fun to play in a Vision. Also your funfactor may depend on whether you play them alone of with a group. Considering you ask MMOC, I assume you don't have a guild waiting for you atm.

Outside of Visions there is not really anything new. Essences are still there, TF was replaced by corruption (which some consider to be a change from bad to worse), M+ has nothing new, only a new kind of "skip" mechanic to play around with. There's rep grinding, daylies are back (which I also consider a downgrade from WQs). The new Raid is just that: a new Raid. Island expeditions and Warfronts are pretty much the same. Maintaining an alt got not better. Classes got no rework or even slight changes. So yeah. nothing new really.

Considering 8.2 had two new places with much more content than the recycled zones 8.3 introduced, I would not recommend returning now. I personally rate 8.3 lower than 8.2 and that patch seemed to bore you enough to leave the game.

tl,dr:
    If you are a caster, don't play the game.
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2020-02-09 at 11:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post

The 'substantial number of people' whining on these forums amass to little more than a drop in the bucket of this game's player base.
    QFT. Vocal minority, and all.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Corrupted gear is the single dumbest MMO idea ever. Horrific visions are pretty good, but I seriously doubt they'll hold the attention and/ or passion of players for the next 9-10 months. So why bother playing for 2 or 3 months if you're probably not going to be the following 3-4 months or more. I'm very biased however; I strongly believe BFA is the worst xpac ever. Terrible character progression systems, failed new features with Warfronts, Isles and of course AZ gear, ridiculous RNG, gated grinds everywhere and a totally unbelievable story line in a genre where you're supposed to suspend your a belief to enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    QFT. Vocal minority, and all.
    Lets consider the nature of the complaints too: "Why can't I play more visisons?!?" is technically a complaint. But really a compliment when you think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I let my sub lapse prior to 8.3 and I like it very much so far. I don't raid though, so I can't comment at all on that part.
    Also, I don't play alts, so I can dedicate time to farming essences and stuff on just 1 character :P
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Here's what happens in any "is it worth coming back" thread:

1. people say it's worth to return
    2. people say it's not worth to return

In other words you learn absolutely nothing of value. If you feel like playing some wow again, come back, if not, then don't. That's really all there is to it. It's not like you're committing a fortune to it, the sub is like 11$. That buger you ate yesterday was probably more expensive

MMO-Champion is the last place you want to go to get an objective opinion for anything WoW related. Nothing but no-lifers with hate boners for Blizzard lurking around here nowadays.

8.3 is great.

What I like:

Nyalotha is great
    Visions are fun as fuck
    M+ affix is great, possibly best so far
    Intro quest/cloak quest was fun
    Raid transmog sets are fantastic - Plate set is 10/10
    assaults are fun and returning to the vale/uldum is nice because the zones are beautiful
    corruption is engaging and forces choices and decisions about how much is too much

What I dislike:

N'zoth fight is terrible
    Ending cinematic cutscene is a joke
    Getting alts raid/M+ ready with essences is really tedious. 8.2 content should not be time-gated (memory of lucid dreams....)
    you can get really unlucky with corruption rolls and feel like you are useless to do anything about it

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post

Visions are fun shit.
    When you have do them a fews time, it become a boring grind

I assume you have gotten all the allied races. It may be worth it just to get reps up in case they add some more so your not grinding reps when shadowlands prepatch comes out.

I dont know, but from what I've seen it seems like you can probably just sub a month before the pre patch and not miss out on much.