Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Lan's perfect actor is Liam by far and Thom's would be Sir Patrick Stewart. Both of them still fit so well and were exactly who Jordan has in mind. Nynaeve, Egwene, Perrin, Fain, Lan, and Liandrin even Thom are all horribly cast. Thom is way too young for how he is portrayed in the book. Tam isn't great either literally the only decent casts so far are Rand and maybe Moraine although there are kuch better actresses for her. In a dream world give me someone like Kate Beckinsale or Natalie Portman.
    Neither of those two actresses are anywhere near on Rosamund Pike's level. Natalie Portman has the range of a piece of dry white toast. Thom needs to be relatively young if they plan to make the whole series - the books may take place over a couple of years but if a series lasts it could/should/probably would take over a decade to make. Do you imagine a 90 year old Patrick Stewart as the perfect Thom? I'm at a bit of a loss as to how you think present day Stewart could pull off a role like this, in Picard it looks unrealistic when he walks a little too fast. He's a very old man.

If these are the kinds of reasons you guys don't like the cast, yeesh. To me, they are mostly actors I'm not familiar with, could be good, could be bad, will know much more once we see something like a trailer. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

- - - Updated - - -

Liam Neeson and I left Mat out he actually seems to have the personality to fit.

- - - Updated - - -

https://i.imgur.com/4tuCyoV.jpg

He really doesn't look 80 but the actor they picked looks like he is in his late 30s early 40s.
    Neeson is another good example of a little too old. He is almost 70 right now, and maybe could pull off Lan - a character who is in his 40s, but if the show takes hold... no.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Neither of those two actresses are anywhere near on Rosamund Pike's level. Natalie Portman has the range of a piece of dry white toast. Thom needs to be relatively young if they plan to make the whole series - the books may take place over a couple of years but if a series lasts it could/should/probably would take over a decade to make. Do you imagine a 90 year old Patrick Stewart as the perfect Thom? I'm at a bit of a loss as to how you think present day Stewart could pull off a role like this, in Picard it looks unrealistic when he walks a little too fast. He's a very old man.

If these are the kinds of reasons you guys don't like the cast, yeesh. To me, they are mostly actors I'm not familiar with, could be good, could be bad, will know much more once we see something like a trailer. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

- - - Updated - - -

Neeson is another good example of a little too old. He is almost 70 right now, and maybe could pull off Lan - a character who is in his 40s, but if the show takes hold... no.
    Yeah I guess if it takes hold that could be an issue but you need someone hard edged for Lan think hard granite not really a pretty boy. Ewan McGregor would have been amazing for Tam. Also I disagree with your assessment of Portman there is a reason she was doing broadway before she had to attempt to give Lucas's words actual depth. Tom Hardy could work super well as Lan. Peter Franzen who was actually cast could work well as either Gareth or Tam.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, you could go with one of them internet suggestions and have Mads Mikkelsen as Lan

And you know what? I suggested a LotR time Viggo Mortensen as Lan. You could have current Viggo as Thom. They're both 60 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I mean, you could go with one of them internet suggestions and have Mads Mikkelsen as Lan

And you know what? I suggested a LotR time Viggo Mortensen as Lan. You could have current Viggo as Thom. They're both 60 :P
    Mads for Fain give him a prosthetic nose and ye absolutely has the range. Fain is an insanely hard character to play. There are times where he is literally drifting between eloquence and madness in the space of a sentence. I'd take Viggo for Thom or Geoffram.

Yeah I guess if it takes hold that could be an issue but you need someone hard edged for Lan think hard granite not really a pretty boy. Ewan McGregor would have been amazing for Tam. Also I disagree with your assessment of Portman there is a reason she was doing broadway before she had to attempt to give Lucas's words actual depth. Tom Hardy could work super well as Lan. Peter Franzen who was actually cast could work well as either Gareth or Tam.
    Tom Hardy or Ewan McGregor of course, but good luck getting them, don't think this show has an incredible budget which is why we're seeing a lot of these choices.

Really curious to see who Franzen was cast as. Agreed he could have been a solid Lan.

Not even trashing Portman based on SW, she is like a beautiful art piece you set in a film. Some directors know how to use it and some don't. To me Moiraine needs to be someone who can say much in a subtle glance. Just don't see Portman or even the more competent Beckinsale pulling it off. Certainly not the way I've seen Pike do it.

I'm a lot less worried about actors looking like their characters than I am with their portraying the personalities right. Time will tell. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Majority, if not all, movies Kate Beckinsale is in get poor ratings. She’s not a good actress.
    Neither is Portman, she's just more of a blank slate and easier to project emotion onto. She also has much better taste in projects because she's a very intelligent person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to think of a character Eva Green could fit into.

Trying to think of a character Eva Green could fit into.
    Maybe a little old for Lanfear but I feel like she could pull it off. Definite Aes Sedai material, she's maybe too pretty to be a perfect Elaida but could pull it off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe a little old for Lanfear but I feel like she could pull it off. Definite Aes Sedai material, she's maybe too pretty to be a perfect Elaida but could pull it off.
    Hmm i thought of Elaida but i can't really picture her as a stuck up delusional fool.
    I think Vanessa Kirby, from The Crown could do it.
    Helen Mirren, who always looks 19 years younger, could pull off Cadsuanne, if the show gets that far.

Hmm i thought of Elaida but i can't really picture her as a stuck up delusional fool.
    I think Vanessa Kirby, from The Crown could do it.
    Helen Mirren, who always looks 19 years younger, could pull off Cadsuanne, if the show gets that far.
    Oh man, Mirren as Cadsuane would be so great. That immediately makes me ask, who could be Sorilea? No actor I can think of has that force of will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, Mirren as Cadsuane would be so great. That immediately makes me ask, who could be Sorilea? No actor I can think of has that force of will.
    Hmm Judi Dench maybe? Or Diana Rigg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously how are they going to handle the collaring of the young black women they have cast just completely cut that part out? It's a pretty damn big part to cut.
    Oh man, I'd forgotten about that part. Yeah, this is not going to end well. Then again, aren't the Seanchan canonically quite dark skinned? That might be just enough to calm some people down. But tbh, that's a pretty late story arc, and frankly, I don't see the show lasting that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    oh geez... RIP this show
    Yyyyuuupppp. This is getting to Legend of the Seeker/Dark Tower levels of fuckery.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

He really doesn't look 80 but the actor they picked looks like he is in his late 30s early 40s.

Patrick Stewart looks his age. Those comparison pictures show that very clearly. And, like I said, Thom was in very good shape for 60...extremely spry when he needed to be. In 1990 Patrick Stewart may have been perfect for Thom....but that was 30 years ago.

Keep in mind that was fantasy casting even then...Jordan would have needed a time machine to get most of his casting choices. He wanted Audrey Hepburn to be Egwene, Val Kilmer as Perrin, and James Garner to be Matt...but he wanted them all to be 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Oh man, I'd forgotten about that part. Yeah, this is not going to end well. Then again, aren't the Seanchan canonically quite dark skinned? That might be just enough to calm some people down. But tbh, that's a pretty late story arc, and frankly, I don't see the show lasting that long.
    Dark skinned people enslaving other dark skinned people? That ain't going to go down well either because, you know, only white skinned people ever enslaved dark skinned people.

I'm not holding out much hope for the project though I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Despite some rather odd casting choices, at least it hasn't got anything on the insanity of the casting going on for The Watch, based on the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. They are dumping on the memory of a great writer from a great height.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Patrick Stewart looks his age. Those comparison pictures show that very clearly. And, like I said, Thom was in very good shape for 60...extremely spry when he needed to be. In 1990 Patrick Stewart may have been perfect for Thom....but that was 30 years ago.

Keep in mind that was fantasy casting even then...Jordan would have needed a time machine to get most of his casting choices. He wanted Audrey Hepburn to be Egwene, Val Kilmer as Perrin, and James Garner to be Matt...but he wanted them all to be 18.
    Yes but it showed what in his mind the characters looked like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Dark skinned people enslaving other dark skinned people? That ain't going to go down well either because, you know, only white skinned people ever enslaved dark skinned people.

I'm not holding out much hope for the project though I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Despite some rather odd casting choices, at least it hasn't got anything on the insanity of the casting going on for The Watch, based on the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. They are dumping on the memory of a great writer from a great height.
    Well the Seanchan are mix from pale white like Egeanin to ebony like Tuon so hey you could have their leash being held by black people and white people that should make it okay right :P

- - - Updated - - -

Well the Seanchan are mix from pale white like Egeanin to ebony like Tuon so hey you could have their leash being held by black people and white people that should make it okay right :P
    The Seanchan would certainly be very....interesting.

A mixed race society that's basically "pro gun rights" but with swords, happily enslaves certain kinds of people, regardless of race, then "trains" them to be happy to be enslaved. All while wearing armor and clothing similar to Samurai and their time period. Oh, and they're the only society that drinks coffee. Everyone else just has tea.

It's such a unique mash-up of cultures, I can't say I have much faith in "Big Screen" types not dumbing it all down to their idea of "digestible."

I'm not disputing that. But again...we're talking 30 years ago. He also wanted Rand to be played by Ben Affleck...that doesn't mean that they should try to cast Ben now.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I'm not disputing that. But again...we're talking 30 years ago. He also wanted Rand to be played by Ben Affleck...that doesn't mean that they should try to cast Ben now.
    No but it does kind of show facial type and skin colors he had in mind. It wasn't necessarily the actors ability more their characteristics although in Stewart's case it was likely both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Yeah, that dumpster fire is one show I'm hoping doesn't even get aired... If you want live action Pratchett, just watch Good Omens. Great show.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Yeah, that dumpster fire is one show I'm hoping doesn't even get aired... If you want live action Pratchett, just watch Good Omens. Great show.
    Hogfather and Going Postal were both pretty good.