What do you think of suicide laws

What do you guys think about laws against committing suicide? I honestly don't understand how such laws can be enforced. However I think they should not be a thing. A person should have the right to control their lives.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Just couldn't help yourself could ya. Starved for attention I suppose.

When you go into a thread confident you know who posted it, but then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    When you go into a thread confident you know who posted it, but then...
    I now demand the rest of the day we are flooded with "what do you think about _____ laws" threads back 2 back 2 back 2 back.

So long as the suicide attempt isn't done in a public setting (falling off a building or jumping in front of a train). Ultimately, it's your life that you should be free to end.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    You forgot to change accounts back again.

I think it ultimately comes down to whats the goal of such laws? If someone tries and fails do you arrest them? Wouldn't that just make them more suicidal? If they succeed what are you going to do? Arrest a corpse?

I've always been "Pro-Death."
    Pro-Choice, Pro-Death Penalty, Pro-Doctor Assisted Suicide.

15+ Year Old Account
    For the terminally ill i have no issue with it i know damn well if im ever diagnosed with something that will not be cureable and just make my life miserable in my final time im going out on my own terms
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

7+ Year Old Account
    Here's the thing: The right to live includes the right to die. No entity has the right or authority to force you to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I only agree with it if they’re dying (terminal) and want to end things quicker... and I don’t mean mentally.
    Not directing this at you, personally, but more to this type of thinking: It's none of anyone's business if a person decides they don't want to live. It falls directly under the same logic as abortion, etc: Bodily autonomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dien-Ap-Sten View Post
    I now demand the rest of the day we are flooded with "what do you think about _____ laws" threads back 2 back 2 back 2 back.
    Followed by posts where people use numbers for words, right?

They are for the best, for the most part. If there are examples of the laws being used in some unjust way, penalizing someone for a low moment in their life, then perhaps the associated penalties should be examined. For the most part these laws serve to help people who are in need. Suicide is typically an act of impulse, and making it easily accessible for people who are experiencing a temporary low would be a horrible social error. There is a lot of evidence that introducing even minor barriers to suicide reduces suicide rates, so I don't like to think of what would happen if you could just buy a kit at 7-11.

That said, it should be available for people who are needlessly suffering, particularly people who are terminally ill within strict, well defined guidelines.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    attacking people commiting (and failling obviously suicide) is the stupidest thing ever.

For committing suicide, a person has to be deeply desperate, at the lowest point of his life. To think some would on top of that charge then with whatever criminal charges they can think of, that's beyond despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    attacking people commiting (and failling obviously suicide) is the stupidest thing ever.

For committing suicide, a person has to be deeply desperate, at the lowest point of his life. To think some would on top of that charge then with whatever criminal charges they can think of, that's beyond despicable.
    Hell if we're trying to save their lives, making suicide a crime only incentivizes they don't fail for risk of prison time if they do. I am definitely in the band that sees no logic in outlawing suicide.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post

Is that actually how the law is used? My experience with it is that it's used to get people help, sometimes against their will. If someone is going to take their own life, it's generally to our benefit that they get help. Suicide is massively destructive to the lives of the people who love the person who took their own life. Obviously some exceptions apply, thinking specifically of the terminally ill.

you have a right to decide when enough is enough.. and i'd support assisted suicide so the person gets to say good by and choose when/how to go.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    People should have the right to die. Hell, if I wanted to die there's no way someone would be able to stop me.

10+ Year Old Account
    i eagerly await the 'what do you think of morality laws?' thread.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.