Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Hogfather and Going Postal were both pretty good.
    Hogfather was great, yeah. Don't think I saw Going Postal, where/when did it air?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Hogfather was great, yeah. Don't think I saw Going Postal, where/when did it air?
    No idea where but it's from 2010. I watched in on Amazon Prime in the US. Solid cast. Charles Dance, Richard Coyle, and Tamsin Greig among others.

My excitement for a WoT show is almost as large as the amusement I derive from people getting mad about the Emond's Fielders being not white.

I like all the castings so far, but I think Rand and Lan stand out as my favourite. Former looks like he could pull a good crazy vibe and Lan's actor looks solid - alas, it didn't click with me that the Borderlanders were modelled off've Mongolian culture until after I imagined him as a tall old grizzled white guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    No idea where but it's from 2010. I watched in on Amazon Prime in the US. Solid cast. Charles Dance, Richard Coyle, and Tamsin Greig among others.
    Sadly, Prime UK is postage free... The hunt continues.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    My excitement for a WoT show is almost as large as the amusement I derive from people getting mad about the Emond's Fielders being not white.

I like all the castings so far, but I think Rand and Lan stand out as my favourite. Former looks like he could pull a good crazy vibe and Lan's actor looks solid - alas, it didn't click with me that the Borderlanders were modelled off've Mongolian culture until after I imagined him as a tall old grizzled white guy.
    Well, that's what fans do. They get upset when someone fucks over something they love. Emondsfield is a small town with zero immigration. When Tam brought home an 'outside' wife with a kid it was what they talked about for years.

But that's not how things work anymore, they take a big dump on all the descriptions in the books and make it fit 2020. Oh the joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    Well, that's what fans do. They get upset when someone fucks over something they love. Emondsfield is a small town with zero immigration. When Tam brought home an 'outside' wife with a kid it was what they talked about for years.

But that's not how things work anymore, they take a big dump on all the descriptions in the books and make it fit 2020. Oh the joy.
    'Fucks over' is a strong phrase. My memory of book one describes Emond's Fielders as dark of hair and dark of eye, with the caveat that Rand is taller and paler than the typical person. I see that reflected in the casting and I'm cool with it.

The biggest travesty here is that Rosamund Pike is 5 ft. 8!
    Last edited by Kharadin; 2020-02-10 at 05:07 PM.

Well if the show is anything like the books.

The interesting characters will get progressively less and less screentime (chapter time) and this will devolve into the utter boringness of awful characters midway before bringing the interesting characters back for the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post

Very little, not zero, and that still leaves room for the very small amount of Emondsfielder diversity we're seeing. One outsider per generation would be enough to introduce some color, depending on who the outsiders were. More to the point, why does anyone care what skin color their favorite characters are? Why does this matter at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Well if the show is anything like the books.

The interesting characters will get progressively less and less screentime (chapter time) and this will devolve into the utter boringness of awful characters midway before bringing the interesting characters back for the finale.
    Just cresting past the bad parts in my reread (at book 11) and the complaints are overblown. There are some less than stellar storylines (anything to do with Valan Luca, Faile's kidnappings after the first time, and Elayne's Camelyn storyline come to mind), but book 10 was the only really dreary one.

Not Mongolian. The Borderlands were a mixed group, from a variety of sources (some of which RJ confirmed.)

Shienarans were Japanese with a bit of Feudal Europe thrown in (knights, chivalry, castles.) Not sure what Kandor was but RJ stated that Saldaea was 'a number of Middle Eastern cultures and several cultures in countries surrounding the Black Sea' and Arafel was similar.

Oh, and Malkier was Tibet. As someone observed, 'Malkier and Tibet have both disappeared under an evil empire that swallowed them up without reason, leaving behind one last leader as a touchstone for the kingdom itself.'

The other nations are often a mix as well - The Aes Sedai are the Catholic Church/Papal State, Andor is England/United Kingdom, The Aiel were culturally according to RJ the Cheyenne, Apache, Zulu, Bedouin, Japanese, Berbers, but physically they are Vikings, Altara was Italy, including their physical looks, Amadacia were the Puritans, while the Whitecloaks were the Teutonic Knights, Arada Doman was Arabic/Persian with a little bit of Asia thrown in, Cairhien was French with a dash of Japan, Illian was Greek, Mayene is Cities of Hanseatic League, Venice, Genoa, the Sea Folk are a mix of Sub-Saharan African in looks initially though later they were a little more Indian, the Seanchan were Imperial China, Imperial Japan, Persian Empire, Ottoman and Byzantine Empire, but, according to RJ, they spoke with a Texan accent, the Sharan were African in appearance with a little bit of Imperial China (silk roads, closed ports etc), Tarabon was Arabic, and Tear was Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    book 10 was the only really dreary one.
    The middle books of the series are all about characters sitting around talking about nothing. Nothing is revealed about the world. The world has been fully unveiled since book 6. The characters aren't acting, they're just sitting around, passively flailing their arms around, reacting to irrelevant events. The important bits of 7-9 should be condensed into a couple episodes, and the season pick up again at 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The middle books of the series are all about characters sitting around talking about nothing. Nothing is revealed about the world. The world has been fully unveiled since book 6. The characters aren't acting, they're just sitting around, passively flailing their arms around, reacting to irrelevant events. The important bits of 7-9 should be condensed into a couple episodes, and the season pick up again at 10.
    Not even close to true, have you even read the books? Plenty happens between 6-9, don't want to go into any detail since the thread is spoiler enough but that's an absurd description. I churned through those books quickly because they were still quite engaging.

'Fucks over' is a strong phrase. My memory of book one describes Emond's Fielders as dark of hair and dark of eye, with the caveat that Rand is taller and paler than the typical person. I see that reflected in the casting and I'm cool with it.

The biggest travesty here is that Rosamund Pike is 5 ft. 8!
    Except it's not. Elaidia only remarks on his skin color after she lifts a sleeve and notes how pale his untanned skin is. They have farmer tans aka sunkissed they aren't black the pattern is trying to hid him not put a giant neon sign on him saying this one is different.

- - - Updated - - -

Very little, not zero, and that still leaves room for the very small amount of Emondsfielder diversity we're seeing. One outsider per generation would be enough to introduce some color, depending on who the outsiders were. More to the point, why does anyone care what skin color their favorite characters are? Why does this matter at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Just cresting past the bad parts in my reread (at book 11) and the complaints are overblown. There are some less than stellar storylines (anything to do with Valan Luca, Faile's kidnappings after the first time, and Elayne's Camelyn storyline come to mind), but book 10 was the only really dreary one.
    Because if they can't even be faithful to the casting how are they goingnto deal with the young black women they have cast getting collared? How about the corporal punishment. The physical abuse of young women (spoiler they won't care about it happening to the men). How about how his belpved red ajah is basically set up as a secondary antagonist and definitely not the good guys he seems to percieve them as especially Elaidia. He's already made noises about how "problematic" the Rand harem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Except it's not. Elaidia only remarks on his skin color after she lifts a sleeve and notes how pale his untanned skin is. They have farmer tans aka sunkissed they aren't black the pattern is trying to hid him not put a giant neon sign on him saying this one is different.

- - - Updated - - -

Because if they can't even be faithful to the casting how are they goingnto deal with the young black women they have cast getting collared? How about the corporal punishment. The physical abuse of young women (spoiler they won't care about it happening to the men). How about how his belpved red ajah is basically set up as a secondary antagonist and definitely not the good guys he seems to percieve them as especially Elaidia. He's already made noises about how "problematic" the Rand harem is.
    He said he wanted the harem to be polyamorus instead of polygamous. This actually bothers you?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    hopefully this is wheely good......

He said he wanted the harem to be polyamorus instead of polygamous. This actually bothers you?
    He's said a lot more than that also yes changing sexualities does both me. Rand's harem largely functioned as a sisterhood they didn't fuck each other.

He's said a lot more than that also yes changing sexualities does both me. Rand's harem largely functioned as a sisterhood they didn't fuck each other.
    What else? All I've read is that he's more interested in polyamory. So what if their relationships change a bit, there are plenty of examples of sisterhood in the series.

What else? All I've read is that he's more interested in polyamory. So what if their relationships change a bit, there are plenty of examples of sisterhood in the series.
    They have talked about how the show needs to be brought into 2020 he also flat out said when it was announced that he was focused on diversity in casting. Dude doesn't give a shit about the books or that the world being broken apart into homogeneous groups is important to the story since rejoining them into a whole is a big thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have talked about how the show needs to be brought into 2020 he also flat out said when it was announced that he was focused on diversity in casting. Dude doesn't give a shit about the books or that the world being broken apart into homogeneous groups is important to the story since rejoining them into a whole is a big thing.
    There are ways for a world to be divided other than skin color. I always read the world of WoT being broken up by culture and ideals. There is one exception to this, being the Aiel. As long as they remain a group of pale red-heads, I don't see an issue at all with some people of the various groups having darker skin than others of the same group. It's such a minor thing that is constantly surprises me how bend outa shape some people seem to be getting over casting choices.

Have read just about everything Judkins has had to say about the series and somehow I don't get this sense of doom and gloom or carelessness. What changes have been discussed are incredibly minor and this ire over a diverse cast or wanting to be more lgbt inclusive is absurd. The books were always that way, making it a bit more explicit for a modern audience, right or wrong, does little/nothing to violate their spirit. It's a fetish for some viewers at this point, and I suspect it's going to be like the anger over Picard - much sound and fury, little substance to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Not Mongolian. The Borderlands were a mixed group, from a variety of sources (some of which RJ confirmed.)

Shienarans were Japanese with a bit of Feudal Europe thrown in (knights, chivalry, castles.) Not sure what Kandor was but RJ stated that Saldaea was 'a number of Middle Eastern cultures and several cultures in countries surrounding the Black Sea' and Arafel was similar.

Oh, and Malkier was Tibet. As someone observed, 'Malkier and Tibet have both disappeared under an evil empire that swallowed them up without reason, leaving behind one last leader as a touchstone for the kingdom itself.'

The other nations are often a mix as well - The Aes Sedai are the Catholic Church/Papal State, Andor is England/United Kingdom, The Aiel were culturally according to RJ the Cheyenne, Apache, Zulu, Bedouin, Japanese, Berbers, but physically they are Vikings, Altara was Italy, including their physical looks, Amadacia were the Puritans, while the Whitecloaks were the Teutonic Knights, Arada Doman was Arabic/Persian with a little bit of Asia thrown in, Cairhien was French with a dash of Japan, Illian was Greek, Mayene is Cities of Hanseatic League, Venice, Genoa, the Sea Folk are a mix of Sub-Saharan African in looks initially though later they were a little more Indian, the Seanchan were Imperial China, Imperial Japan, Persian Empire, Ottoman and Byzantine Empire, but, according to RJ, they spoke with a Texan accent, the Sharan were African in appearance with a little bit of Imperial China (silk roads, closed ports etc), Tarabon was Arabic, and Tear was Spanish.
    Yeah for sure, I probably should've said East Asian-influenced more than Mongolian, but that's where my head goes between physical description and their (particularly the Shienaran's) cavalry fetish. But either way, based on the physical description and the cultural background I'm super happy with Lan's casting.

The Seanchan speaking like Texans was a big whoosh moment for me before I started reading the WoT subreddit, it didn't click on my first read-through at all.

All the cultural nods throughout the series is cool, I hope we get a lot of that in the show.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not convinced, the entire first book has several people mention that Rand looks different to the others, between the height, the lighter eyes and the skin it's fairly obvious before Elaida pulls back his sleeve. But I guess that's personal interpretation for you - I just think the stink regarding the race of the actors is way overblown.

If that ruins your anticipation for the show then I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm hyped.