Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    No it was not good.

WoD was for sure better given the classes were actually fun to play and the content that existed (while there wasn't much) was both of a good quality and it was fun.

Well WoD didn’t have ap grind so there’s that but then again WoD didn’t have anything fun ether so.. lest I have something to do other than check my followers table:/

I agree for these 3 reasons, that appears to be really important to me:

1. You were able to 100% play your healer spec. In Legion and BfA you have to constantly switch to a DPS spec to "do the daily stuff" then back, else you are really slow. This does not seem to improve in Shadowlands with their solo content being the main draw. The focus on daily DPS-focused busywork is absurd.
    2. It had a PvP gearing system without RNG.
    3. No endless AP grinds.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD did start the mission table bullshit that Blizzard can't just fucking get rid of.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

You know a review is trash when people use vague argument 100% base on feeling. "The classes felt better" what a baseless way to compare stuff. Can you at least dare give a class and spec so we can actually relate to. Also, feeling base on 6 years old memories... yes, no chance of that being tainted by nostalgia right? /sarcasm.
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if WoD was better. But I quite literally played a lot more during WoD.

Though to be fair FFXIV didn't have quite the appeal at that point, whereas now I've given WoW up completely in favour of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    You know a review is trash when people use vague argument 100% base on feeling. "The classes felt better" what a baseless way to compare stuff. Can you at least dare give a class and spec so we can actually relate to. Also, feeling base on 6 years old memories... yes, no chance of that being tainted by nostalgia right? /sarcasm.
    Druid felt better in WoD, as did Warrior/DK/Paladin.

Nothing is as bad as legion man.

Just think about it

I believe. Why?

Garrisons were awesome money-making machines.
    Didn't have to spam dailies/WQuests for stupid RNG caches.
    Raids were actually good(BRF was fun, HM wasn't that bad and HFC was too homogenous, but I liked the mechanics).
    Though I didn't like the idea of time travelling it was nice to see Draenor in it's prime time.
    I liked class design, it wasn't the best in WoW, but still much better than BFA.

What about BFA?
    I like WQuests with emissary rewards.
    PvP is better, but still would preffer to have PvP venders.
    Raids are nice.

The only reason why BFA is worse for me is because it has more BIG cons(like heavily RNG dependent loot).

Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    It wasn't probably pointed at my comment, but I'll try give a good example: Subtlety Rogues. They were kings in WoD and now they're pretty much useless. Assassination has better cleave/ST dmg, even while being less complicated and more smooth. Outlaw on the other hand is one of the best spec in the whole game for AoE/M+. Subtlety right now is... on the bottom of pit.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2020-02-10 at 01:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD was better because atleast it was still somewhat of an mmorpg at that point

now its some looter-slotmachine-game where when they say "we want less rng" they put in even more

hell, even the story was better and thats saying alot

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    WoD was an objectively worse effort.

Good on ya'll for letting the devs know that they could get away with such a low effort, badly realized expansion once more though.

Sheesh, dat rose shimmer that sets on most people's minds... And mark my words, once Shadowlands has been out for a while, the narrative will shift once again.
    WoD had objectively better gameplay no unending grind and far less reliance on rng

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    WoD had the better classes and itemization. BFA has more to do though.
    Quantity doesn't equal quality which is something bfa is sorely lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Classes in WoD were NOT deeper. MoP hilariously dumbed down classes and WoD took it a step further. Classes have been the same since then, besides a couple lackluster reworks here and there for too few specs.

Though I do agree that WoD was much more polished. All it needed was a reason to play it. At no point during WoD's runcycle did I ever feel insulted and disrespected like BFA has.
    MoP... dumbed down? In what universe? Sure, WoD did that a bit after MoP, but it was still decently close to the peak in MoP. It's gotten worse every expansion since.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Sheesh, dat rose shimmer that sets on most people's minds... And mark my words, once Shadowlands has been out for a while, the narrative will shift once again.
    Yup. It keeps shifting. Some people just have to retroactively change shit times to good times in order to excuse their hatred of whatever is new. It really begs the question as to why they're playing or discussing the game at all. I know I only really discuss WoW when I'm playing it, and I only play it when it's some kind of fun for me, but apparently that's not true for everyone.

Anyway, the three biggest "historical revisions" in WoW remain:

A) "Cataclysm didn't suck you guys...", which seems to almost entirely come from players who started in, or after, Cataclysm, and are quite sure that, actually, it must have been a good expansion, not a coke-addled shitshow with by far the worst and most self-indulgent writing in WoW history.

B) "WoD wasn't that bad really!" - Admittedly this started off with people, including me, saying "Hey Garrisons aren't that bad, I kinda enjoy them!" at the start of WoD, but a few months in? Yeah I was quitting because I loathed Garrisons and the associated mechanisms (I did come back for later raids). WoD wasn't pure Shit-tanium, it had a few bright spots, but it was bad, real bad, and very short on content, and just a lot of the content was actively ANTI-fun (a problem Cataclysm shared). Not just not fun, but designed to not be fun (whereas Mythic+ actually is fun, and is more challenging so...).

C) "Everyone always thought Legion was great!!!" - This is a spectacular one given how short a time ago it was. When Legion came out, and through all of 8.0, people were shitting all over Legion. At some point after 8.1 (I think before 8.1.5, but not sure), the various tweaks and changes had caused people to have a rethink, and by the end of the expansion, people loved it, but it was definitely not always loved.

No doubt either in Shadowlands, or in whatever comes after Shadowlands, people who right now are taking a dump on BfA will be praising it to the high heavens.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    MoP... dumbed down? In what universe? Sure, WoD did that a bit after MoP, but it was still decently close to the peak in MoP. It's gotten worse every expansion since.
    No talents.

While Cataclysm changed the direction of the talent system, MoP's the one that put it down.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    The fact that some people truly believe WoD was better shows how twisted a human mind can become when remembering the past
    Or it shows how expansions gradually got better, peaked in MoP and then declined in quality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    No talents.

While Cataclysm changed the direction of the talent system, MoP's the one that put it down.
    The MoP talent system has more depth than what came before it.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

WoD will always be the worst. Because not only the features they added during the expansion were bad, but it's also the expansion where we lost the biggest amount of features :
    -Garrison was a good idea, but it didn't increased the quality of openworld content (because there wasn't any open world content at all). It actually made it useless because you just had to stack alts to get stuff.
    -Shipyard was a worse version of garrisons where your followers could simply die in a 91% mission.
    -Only 1 true major patch.
    -They removed gems, half of the gear enchant, profession perks.
    -They also started the ability pruning.
    -Also was the expansion with the most cutted content.

WoD still had good content. Its dungeons and raids were goods. You know, the things Ion Hazzikostas used to work on .

BFA is not the best expansion and has its flaws. But I actually think it's one of the most daring expansions they've ever made. They've tried a lot of things here (azerite traits, essences, a new way to design items with use / proc, visions, island, warfront) and while I agree that most of those features were not well designed (because of the grind, the way to get essences, warfront is just boring and island don't have any good directive line) they still tried to bring something new to the game.

If you want to blame BFA's class design, blame WoD and Legion. Because BFA didn't brought anything major in class design outside of azerites who are, if you're not a min / maxer, a good feature that gives you the opportunity to adapt your build and who can in a few case change the way you play your class by adding a Divine Storm in your melee rotation thank to a proc for example.

I don't remember doing anything at all in wod apart from raids and one set of challenge modes. I can't remember anything else. It was the only time i've had a break of this game for a whole year. In the first month of bfa i'm quite sure i spent more time with the game than in entire wod (outside of raids).

WOD was crap and while I did unsub during it, I lasted longer then I did when I tried BFA, WOD still had a hint of the old class design (was the start of the gutting) the scaling in BFA sucks too IMO and most of all I could still play my ranged survial hunter in WOD.

not really a matter I think of one being better one just sucked a hair less. (but not much).

Quote Originally Posted by Overdispersion View Post
    From a raiding PoV (honestly the only thign I care about) WoD was so much more fun. Better raids, better class design and a lot more alt friendly.
    ill give you alt friendlines, but raids and classes (most of them, some might be exception) were not better, classes were pruned as hell and raids were at best comparable to bfa but not better in any (objective) way - bfa actualy tried some new things with raids (like different bosses and boss order in 8.1), WoD raids were just... standard

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's certainly MUCH better than WoD's recycled Draenor aesthetic, which I'm sure didn't blow away anyone; though Blackrock Foundry does stand out as a gorgeous zone.
    Wait what? You realize that the vast majority of BRF is recycled from the lower half of Siege of Orgrimmar right?
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.