Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    conformism isn't the same thing as any of what you linked lol...
    Exactly what do you think motivates genocide besides a desire for conformity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    very few in sweden gives a shit about how you look...
    And here's why that's absolutely irrelevant to what was said.

The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    its not irrelevant at all... there's not going to be a genocide in sweden... you're delusional if you think that...
    And how does whether or not a genocide is "going to happen" remotely relevant to the point as to whether or not nation-states are good or bad?

The point, Felicia, is that the desire for a homogeneous society necessitates oppression. Something you yourself admit in how people who act "insufficiently Swedish" are treated regardless of how long they have lived in the country. The fact you even post a source stating that the rise of populism is a problem demonstrates that, as well.

And that's fundamentally why democracy is important, among other reasons. To ensure a singular voice doesn't drown out all the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    that is cultural... not something political parties can do anything about lol... they'd have to break the culture... no party is authoritarian enough to pull that off...
    Cool. We're not talking about its feasibility.

Thanks for conceding the point about nation-states, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    you think they are bad... i think they are not a problem...
    That's nice. You are not entitled to an opinion you can't substantiate.

I don't give anti-vaxxers or flat earthers the time of day for the same reason.

- - - Updated - - -

I genuinely think the world would be a much better place if more European students were handcuffed to their desks and made to read Maus and Persepolis.

10+ Year Old Account
    there is no problem with conformity... if people think the culture to be a problem to them they can go to another country...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popula...ece_and_Turkey
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_of_India
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

Doesn't tend to work out so well. What you're describing is literally ethnic cleansing, by the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is just one giant facepalm.

10+ Year Old Account
    i guess i was ethnically cleansed from estonia lol...
    I'd believe it, considering ethnic cleansing was Eastern Europe's favourite pasttime until relatively recently.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    conformism isn't the same thing as any of what you linked lol...
    We only tried to kill the sami people...
    Among others
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    us leaving for another because we didn't like it in estonia doesn't mean we were ethnically cleansed lol...
    When you enlarge that to the scale of thousands to hundreds of thousands, it definitely does mean that.

Context, s'il te plait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    We only tried to kill the sami people...
    Among others
    They might not cover that in high school, cut them some slack.

- - - Updated - - -

that's long before sweden even existed as a democracy...
    You're defending the idea of a nation state, not the idea of a democracy.

Keep your argument consistent.

10+ Year Old Account
    sweden wasn't a nation-state in the past... it was a kingdom... ruled by a monarch...
    You really think that a nation-state has to have a democratic government? Lol.

Oh...wait. You were serious. Let me laugh harder.

10+ Year Old Account
    a nation-state is incompatible with a kingdom/empire ruled by a monarch...
    What a crock of shit.

A nation state is a function of being ethnoreligiously homogenous. It has fuck all to do with form of government.

Also: kingdom and empire are not the same thing. Like at all. An empire doesn't even have to be a monarchy, lol.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    a nation-state is incompatible with a kingdom/empire ruled by a monarch...
    Tell that to Germany
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell that to Germany
    Or, like...the United States.

Or the Soviet Union.

Or the People's Republic of China.

All empires.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    that's long before sweden even existed as a democracy...
    Tell that to the segregated schools with worse educational standards imposed on them in 1913.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    -snip-
    That's nice. Now do Japan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell that to the segregated schools with worse educational standards imposed on them in 1913.
    "The Kalmar Union was a thing therefore nation states cannot be monarchic governments!"

Is something an insane person would say.

10+ Year Old Account
    sweden wasn't a democracy in 1913...
    Sweden isn't a democracy now by that ridiculous standard.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    did they have a monarch ruling the country during the conquests and wars in the 20th century?
    ... they were united under the Prussian king. Who became the Emperor of Germany.
    Who then was smack dab in the middle of the myriad causes for the first world war.
    An emperor that was fairly autocratic
    - Lars