Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Really hope that Bernie wins this so that Mayo Pete’s campaign can finally die. I’m starting to think that I’d rather have Bloomberg as the head of the moderates since he’s at least doing good against Trump in the polls

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Not sure if you get what’s going on, but if Pete loses this one his campaign won’t be dead. Since he “won” in Iowa it’ll take a few losses before he comes close to throwing in the towel.
    He’s got no support from minorities. He would for sure lose Nevada, and SC will be a disaster. He’ll be dead in the water by Super Tuesday, where he’ll also perform terribly due to minorities not liking him. He needs to win NH or else his campaign is basically over. Same for Warren

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I think the point is that if she drops and her voters flock to Bernie, he may become unassailable as the leading candidate, which establishment democrats would not favor.
    Exactly, I didn't think I had to spell it out so much

The question for today is will Bernie hit 30%
    Last edited by Seiklis; 2020-02-11 at 05:35 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Iowa and NH are adorable, and certainly set a tone - but SC and then Super Tuesday are key. Prior to that it really doesn't matter, after that; if you're not in, you're out.

10+ Year Old Account
    !!Update!!

Bloomberg won both the REPUBLICAN and DEMOCRATIC primaries in Dixville Notch!! OMG. This is .... well 5 votes total across both parties.

Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Dimensius View Post
    Really hope that Bernie wins this so that Mayo Pete’s campaign can finally die. I’m starting to think that I’d rather have Bloomberg as the head of the moderates since he’s at least doing good against Trump in the polls
    Klobuchar is the only moderate that's not awful and she has no way of winning. And that may simply be because she's been so far behind the whole time she hasn't faced the same level of scrutiny.

If Pete's staying in then he really, really needs to address the policing issue that he keeps dodging. But I assume he won't, because he has no good answer for it.

Biden literally can't stop saying stupid shit and telling people to not vote for him. And Bloomberg is a Republican trying to buy his way into the Democrat nomination, basically everything wrong with American politics.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Klobuchar is the only moderate that's not awful and she has no way of winning. And that may simply be because she's been so far behind the whole time she hasn't faced the same level of scrutiny.

If Pete's staying in then he really, really needs to address the policing issue that he keeps dodging. But I assume he won't, because he has no good answer for it.

Biden literally can't stop saying stupid shit and telling people to not vote for him. And Bloomberg is a Republican trying to buy his way into the Democrat nomination, basically everything wrong with American politics.
    Don't forget Sanders moderately unpopular policies and a fan base continues to claim they won't vote for anyone if Bernie doesn't get the nod.

I disagree about your evaluation of Biden. Bloomberg is rich, not a republican.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Bloomberg is rich, not a republican.
    He was literally a Republican for most of the 00s.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    !!Update!!

Bloomberg won both the REPUBLICAN and DEMOCRATIC primaries in Dixville Notch!! OMG. This is .... well 5 votes total across both parties.

I don't get this...pure parody or something oddly legit?

Interesting point overall that I hadn't thought about, Bloomberg would definitely draw in a LOT of potential GOP drifters - he's certainly attractive in that regard. Give him Warren or Abrams or that super awesome Rep from Florida as a running mate.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get this...pure parody or something oddly legit?
    It's legit. It's a very small town with a somewhat eccentric voting tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixvil...ting_tradition

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It's legit. It's a very small town with a somewhat eccentric voting tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixvil...ting_tradition
    Awesome. If Bloomberg can legit pull in GOP voters mores the better.

I disagree about your evaluation of Biden. Bloomberg is rich, not a republican.
    Biden literally told millennials to fuck off and vote for someone else because he didn't give a shit about their problems.

And yes, Bloomberg is a Republican. He became a Democrat like 2 years ago, likely in preparation for a presidential run.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Biden literally told millennials to fuck off and vote for someone else because he didn't give a shit about their problems.
    I feel that something like that would have made the news. Can you link what he said?

And yes, Bloomberg is a Republican. He became a Democrat like 2 years ago, likely in preparation for a presidential run.
    And do we remember what he was before he was a Republican? Bloomberg actually became a Republican to run for NYC Mayor, previous to that, he was a "lifelong Democrat".

And if we're ok with Sanders being in the nomination run, then we're ok with Bloomber, right? Because neither is a "Democrat".

I feel that something like that would have made the news. Can you link what he said?
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-b...b0acb57fcd5486

It's no surprise that Biden has very little support among millennials.

If Bloomberg wants to try and appeal to dem primary voters that's fine. I don't think he will convince most of them due to his record.

But, it's not really a direct comparison to Sanders being an independent. He still caucused with dems and voted with them a majority of the time.

I'll take some umbrage with this comment.

My Rep. in the House is a former Republican, and he's fucking amazing. He actually swapped parties after being a Republican for many years because he disagreed with where the party was going and was changing some of his own views, and he's a staunch Democrat and supporter of a wide range of progressive ideals. He remains more a realist than a dreamer, to boot. And he's fucking great, hosts town halls frequently, always engages with constituents respectfully no matter who it is, and is always ready to drop some recent statistics or information from studies he pays close attention to.

He's actually the one that really opened my eyes to the sham that "THE WALL" was when he went through the litany of things they hadn't done that should have been done before construction began (cost-benefit analysis, environmental impact reports, expert testimony etc. etc.)

So this alone isn't an inherent negative, though as others pointed out you're also not working with full information here and are incorrectly assuming the worst.

So he didn't literally tell millennials to fuck off and vote for someone else because he didn't give a shit about their problems. He told them to get engaged in politics and help change things instead of just complaining about what's wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloomberg will get destroyed once they hammer on his past regarding policing minority neighborhoods. Aside from that he's only getting attention because of the absurd amount of ads he buys.

“We have an obligation to get engaged,” Biden said at Saturday’s AFSCME forum, co-moderated by HuffPost. “You all have an obligation to get engaged.”

“Don’t tell me how bad it is. Change it. Change it. Change it,” he said.

He added: “My generation did it.”
    Where does he tell them to "fuck off"? This exchange seems fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Where does he tell them to "fuck off"? This exchange seems fine to me.
    Isn't telling politicians how bad something is being engaged? Biden doesn't want to hear it.