Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Ugh, fucking Bloomberg. Buying the nomination is just about the worst possible look for the Democrats coming out of the primaries.
    No, it's not. Beating Trump is about the best possible look for the Democrats. THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

Ugh, fucking Bloomberg. Buying the nomination is just about the worst possible look for the Democrats coming out of the primaries.
    Yup, the optics of "Our billionaire beats your alleged billionaire!" are awful.

That being said, I'm still fucking voting for him if he somehow gets the nomination, he's still infinitely better than Trump. And if he doesn't (I hope he doesn't), the Democrats will still have benefitted from his throwing around vast sums of money on anti-Trump attack ads (which help any candidate) and on building and training a pretty extensive ground game across the country. I'm sure there are all kinds of legalities around that, but if he can get even a portion of his ground forces to mobilize behind the eventual nominee that'll be huge.

Best case scenario: He stays in until the convention, just dumping money into attack ads until then, all while remaining low in the polls. Withdraws after the convention and a final dump of cash, throws support (voter and financial) behind the nominee and keeps going.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I feel like she'd be more useful in the Senate if she can't win the nomination.
    She would be a good secretary of something. She is a useful person, and still my pick for President, but she could be useful in plenty of roles. Same for all of them really. Bloomberg and Gabbard are the only two that need to disappear and never be spoken of again.

Pete should absolutely go for Senator if he can't secure the nomination. He has a good chance of taking a GOP seat.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I feel like she'd be more useful in the Senate if she can't win the nomination.
    She would definitely be useful in the Senate, and as a running mate for a Biden or Bloomberg (not sure re Pete). I'm leary of setting up another geriatric as the heir apparent for 2028 (assuming the Democrats win). I would rather get back to our late 40's and early 50's candidates, and say goodbye to boomers and their almost bygone issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

That being said, I'm still fucking voting for him if he somehow gets the nomination, he's still infinitely better than Trump. And if he doesn't (I hope he doesn't), the Democrats will still have benefitted from his throwing around vast sums of money on anti-Trump attack ads (which help any candidate) and on building and training a pretty extensive ground game across the country. I'm sure there are all kinds of legalities around that, but if he can get even a portion of his ground forces to mobilize behind the eventual nominee that'll be huge.

Best case scenario: He stays in until the convention, just dumping money into attack ads until then, all while remaining low in the polls. Withdraws after the convention and a final dump of cash, throws support (voter and financial) behind the nominee and keeps going.
    If he doesn't get the nod himself, agreed. He's worth, what? $55B - let's give 2% of that to helping defeat Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    She would definitely be useful in the Senate, and as a running mate for a Biden or Bloomberg (not sure re Pete). I'm leary of setting up another geriatric as the heir apparent for 2028 (assuming the Democrats win). I would rather get back to our late 40's and early 50's candidates, and say goodbye to boomers and their almost bygone issues.
    She is a great running mate for anyone that wants to bring in the progressive wing without having to deal with Bernie.

Not sure who Sanders would pick as a running mate though. Pete would be a good choice, but 1) Not sure he would take it 2) Not sure Bernie would offer.

Sanders/Klobuchar could work though. (And given Bernie's heart, could result in President Klobuchar pretty fast)

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not. Beating Trump is about the best possible look for the Democrats. THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.
    Great, so instead of actual fascism we get a situation where the office of President is effectively auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Whoopie. *chugs champagne*
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'll hold my nose and vote for Bloom...

Because lets face one fact; Trump losing...I have to say that aloud because it tastes so nice.

And then Bloomberg with the reality of facing the reality check to him in the form of congress...and his own had damn well take him to task should he follow the same shitty behavior as his predecessor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Sanders/Klobuchar could work though. (And given Bernie's heart, could result in President Klobuchar pretty fast)
    What is it with people putting forward these nonsense tickets.

It's like not one of you learned the lesson of Hillary's mishap with Tim Kaine.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Well, I guess then we'd have a "mutually assured destruction" thing going where both of them can't mention the other's support for "stop and frisk."

I doubt Bloomberg will score the nomination since he'll likely have trouble getting the black vote, but damn it'd be a bad look to just have nomination being sent off to the highest bidder.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    She is a great running mate for anyone that wants to bring in the progressive wing without having to deal with Bernie.

Not sure who Sanders would pick as a running mate though. Pete would be a good choice, but 1) Not sure he would take it 2) Not sure Bernie would offer.

Sanders should reach outside the current pool for his running mate. A young female minority would be ideal, preferably from a conservative state. FL's 10th District Rep who ran the House Prosecution comes to mind (I love that I can remember her district number but not her fucking name - woe is my brain).

10+ Year Old Account
    Bennet, out
    Steyer, out

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Warren not getting any delegates. Thats a 2 Yikes from me.
    Her campaign is over. If she wants to regain trust from progressives after smearing Bernie, then she needs to endorse him. Honestly though, a lot of Warren supporters have sour grapes over Bernie supporters calling out Warren for bullshitting about Bernie being a sexist, so a majority of them might not even go to Bernie.

Biden literally told millennials to fuck off and vote for someone else because he didn't give a shit about their problems.

And yes, Bloomberg is a Republican. He became a Democrat like 2 years ago, likely in preparation for a presidential run.
    He was also a Democrat for a long ass time before running as a Republican to primary Rudy Giuliani. In fact, the only time he's ever been Republican has been his time as NYC mayor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I guess then we'd have a "mutually assured destruction" thing going where both of them can't mention the other's support for "stop and frisk."
    I sincerely hope Bloomberg gets hammered in any prospective town halls for his wealth.

As far as I'm concerned if he does win the election he'd best be flagellating himself and chanting the Prayer of St Francis while entering the White House for the first time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sanders should reach outside the current pool for his running mate. A young female minority would be ideal, preferably from a conservative state. FL's 10th District Rep who ran the House Prosecution comes to mind (I love that I can remember her district number but not her fucking name - woe is my brain).
    Yeah, that would be a good pick too. Some people have also floated someone like Stacy Abrams too. I don't like Abrams, but it could be a strong ticket.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    At this point, I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about. Do you epitomize who we have to woo to get Bernie Bros on fucking board so Trump doesn't "win" again? Just fucking vote for the (D) in November and ignore the name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimensius View Post
    Her campaign is over. If she wants to regain trust from progressives after smearing Bernie, then she needs to endorse him. Honestly though, a lot of Warren supporters have sour grapes over Bernie supporters calling out Warren for bullshitting about Bernie being a sexist, so a majority of them might not even go to Bernie.
    Speaking as a "progressive", Bernie's currently barely tied for Pete in terms of primary options.

I literally just might abstain from the primary and just get super wasted before voting in the general, this field is so bad.

Bennet, out
    Steyer, out
    Steyer dropping is fake news. He’s staying in until after SC because he has some delusion about winning SC and getting the momentum to win Super Tuesday. I would say that his chances went to 0 when Bloomberg entered the race and out-billionaired him, but he never had a chance to begin with.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Great, so instead of actual fascism we get a situation where the office of President is effectively auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Whoopie. *chugs champagne*
    Jesus...really? What's your goal for the 2020 presidential election?

At this point, I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about. Do you epitomize who we have to woo to get Bernie Bros on fucking board so Trump doesn't "win" again? Just fucking vote for the (D) in November and ignore the name.
    Bloomberg supported "stop and frisk" policies targeting minorities when he was mayor.