Poll: What is your preferred gearing system?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

What style of gear RNG do you prefer?

I'm interested to see what kind of gearing is most popular at the moment. Considering the increasing systems and layers of RNG on gearing now, do people enjoy this, or were the "good ol' days" the best?

Personally I've disliked the addition of so much RNG on loot, it feels too much like Diablo for my tastes now. I miss BiS lists, and I feel it's ok for you to hit a gear ceiling for a bit until the next round of content comes out.

However, it's all subjective so let's see what the community thinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Static gear......And with an option to reforge.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Static gear where the only question is "did it drop" or not.

3+ Year Old Account
    Right now the game is like this:
    1. Bosses have a loot table
    2. You get something random in that list
    3. That random item can be an upgrade or something you don't need
    4. That upgrade can be randomly socketed and/or corrupted (with some exceptions like trinkets can't corrupt)
    5. That corruption can be a good one or a bad one
    6. That good corruption has different ranks, from shit to OP

I'm fine with 1 2 3. The rest can go suck itself. Sockets should be on every gear with a system even more fun than the colors we originally had. Corruption should be a system unrelated to drop rates, like an upgrade system kinda like the bonus ilvl we had in previous xpacks, but instead of ilvl we PICK WHAT CORRUPTION WE WANT and as we put more ressource into it the power of that corruption increases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally i like the idea of corruption style influences but i think it should be changed slightly. Make all gear drop with corruption, and part of the cleansing process, we chose which effect it gets (it rolls what tier, that is fine) or choose to purify.

So item drops:
    Sword of Useful Exampleness
    Itemlevel 9001
    Str yes
    Stam Sure

Corrupted (in spooky text)

Then you have the following options with the corruption.
    Cleanse it entirely and get a socket.
    Partially cleanse and get a target corruption effect. You target the effect but it rolls the tier randomly (to add a bit of randomness).

This allows you to get cool effects, and yet you can cleanse and still be rewarded. Id say if you choose the gamble option, you can then cleanse it but not get the socket due to "item still be slightly tainted".
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

I like whatever encourages me to collect many different items and mix and match.
    It can be done with randomness, but to do it well it would need either HUGE loot pools or these random additions to standard gear.

I'm fine with either.

But playing my character for a few weeks, checking a box on a BIS list and then never needing gear from that content again is not good for this game if you ask me.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Maybe corrupted but not how it's currently done.
    Tiers should be by item level, 430 ilvl with t3 corruption. Bad.
    Corruptions should be balanced, getting a corruption should be always be a goos thing, unless you already have them and not a "ah crap I got a useless corruption" like bonus avoidance or bonuses when getting damaged as a dps.

Current implementation is just a bad version of titanforging.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    I'm fine with either.

But playing my character for a few weeks, checking a box on a BIS list and then never needing gear from that content again is not good for this game if you ask me.
    I can get that. How do you feel about the AP grinds of Legion and BFA? For me, gear having such a low chance of rolling "perfectly" goes hand in hand with the infinite grinds of AP (granted, lately the AP grind has a cap).

By the time the majority of the player base has completed their BiS list, there's new content right round the corner. I get it's personal preference, but I quite like having something checked off for the next few months knowing it's as good as is possible, and I can focus on other gear slots or other areas of the game.

When I last played a LOT was MoP. I was BiS and I liked being able to move on to other areas like the challenge modes and brawlers guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    I liked the TF system (ignoring the ilvl bloat it exacerbated). I also liked the totally rng free badge system back in bc/lk. If I should choose I'd go back to the badges.

Quote Originally Posted by Testodruid View Post
    This over anything, I miss having a BiS-list that I could work towards, and tier-sets!
    YeS BuT iT fEeLs LiKe WoRk AnD tHeRe’S nO rEaSoN tO gO tHrOuGh OlDeR cOnTeNt

Seriously, choice 1. Deterministic reward system was the best. It really was something that didn’t need to have some time spent on / be fixed. But as usual with Blizz, gotta fix what works and leave what’s broken for later

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Maybe corrupted but not how it's currently done.
    Tiers should be by item level, 430 ilvl with t3 corruption. Bad.
    Corruptions should be balanced, getting a corruption should be always be a goos thing, unless you already have them and not a "ah crap I got a useless corruption" like bonus avoidance or bonuses when getting damaged as a dps.

Current implementation is just a bad version of titanforging.
    Just to add the bonus when damaged as dps is fine. Name one area where dpsing where you arent taking damage. Mythic+ has damage raids have damage if you are soloing you are taking damage.

Well my all time favorite system is drop of ingredients and you craft your gear, so the closest is static drop with no bells and whistles.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Right now the game is like this:
    1. Bosses have a loot table
    2. You get something random in that list
    3. That random item can be an upgrade or something you don't need
    4. That upgrade can be randomly socketed and/or corrupted (with some exceptions like trinkets can't corrupt)
    5. That corruption can be a good one or a bad one
    6. That good corruption has different ranks, from shit to OP

I'm fine with 1 2 3. The rest can go suck itself. Sockets should be on every gear with a system even more fun than the colors we originally had. Corruption should be a system unrelated to drop rates, like an upgrade system kinda like the bonus ilvl we had in previous xpacks, but instead of ilvl we PICK WHAT CORRUPTION WE WANT and as we put more ressource into it the power of that corruption increases.
    Yes. Nothing is better. That thing was the best. I fucking hate RNG so much in this game right now.

It's like a false carrot on a stick that makes people grind gear even more for ~1-2% upgrades.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be willing to do more if I knew what I was getting at the end of it.

I liked what @bloodwulf had to say in his post too.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I would be willing to do more if I knew what I was getting at the end of it.

I liked what @bloodwulf had to say in his post too.
    Thanks, my guild and i have been trying to come up with a better system as a thought experiment. I felt our system makes receiving an upgrade more obvious. Also if people don't like to deal with RNG or gamble mechanics, they can easily purify for a socket and move on. It also allows you to target abilities you like or desire, so you can craft the set you want. Myself personally, i don't care for how Echoing Void requires me to play in melee on my mage, so i tend to favor slightly lower rated corruptions that allow me to play the way i want. This new system would allow me to pick and choose the corruption to seek, and if i running to high on corruption, i could just purify new pieces and have extra sockets. Sure some people will math it out and know exactly what the corruption to socket ratio should be for optimal dps, but i am fine with it, as min/maxing should not be removed from the game.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

I liked it best when there were no extra RNG systems.

But I don’t really mind the random tertiary stats (avoidance, leech, etc) and even warforging wasn’t too bad when it was limited to +5 or 10 ilevels.

I’m also firmly against reforging.

I like the old system but I think bad luck protection should be added to all major gear (rare mounts and other aesthetic only items don't need it) drops. The idea being that if you run a dungeon/raid enough times, bad luck protection will ramp up to 100% eventually and you will get that item.

Not listed but this is what I'd prefer:
    - Gear drops with secondary stats predefined
    - Chance to RNG into tertiary stats or a socket
    - Secondaries are reforge eligible much as they were in MoP
    - A four-tier currency system where you can upgrade the item potentially four times (similar to MoP)

With the upgrade system you run content to get your currency so it encourages that play. The same for the chance for sockets. The tertiary stats are purely icing - could even get rid of those altogether.

Bad luck protection is too subjective when determining what gear is eligible and there is a LOT of gear in the game. There's nothing anywhere stating that you always get your BiS. Corruption is a nice system but it is extremely punishing for the quality items and has the very real chance that you'll use ilvl downgrades because the corruption effect is just that good (had a blue sim higher than a purple that was 40 ilvls higher solely due to corruption). Benthic folds a bit into the currency upgrade system.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    I've never understood this line of thought. How is it bad?

Wanting to be constantly searching for something in a video game is like wanting to buy a hooker to get you 90% of the way there, but never letting you finish.

If you're worried you won't want to come back to the hooker for the next hit, maybe you just don't enjoy their services. Now, on the business side of things, I can absolutely understand why the hooker wouldn't ever want you to finish... but hearing a customer advocating for that outcome is strage.

Coruption system is my preferred from all the ways it's been. Its not perfect mind or all hat good but its better.

Static is boring,

Static stat increases are boring,

Oooo I got a gem slot for a little extra stat whupty fucking doo.

What I'd like to see is a marrsge of the corruption system and legion legendary system. So hae the more class / spac specific abilities that change up your rotations along with the more obtainability of corrupted gear.

If you want linear progression play classic, but retail needs to keep doing fresh things that keep thing interesting and mix things up or it gets dull doing the same shit over and over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I've never understood this line of thought. How is it bad?

Wanting to be constantly searching for something in a video game is like wanting to buy a hooker to get you 90% of the way there, but never letting you finish.

If you're worried you won't want to come back to the hooker for the next hit, maybe you just don't enjoy their services. Now, on the business side of things, I can absolutely understand why the hooker wouldn't ever want you to finish... but hearing a customer advocating for that outcome is strage.
    Because the hooker you do eventualy get, and the hooker is different each time.

I can't under stand the mentality of people who just want the same thing over and over in a stagnant game.