Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I'm not allowed to vote in US presidential election

I was born a US citizen and have never lived in the US. After reading about my situation it seems that I'm not allowed to vote.

So I don't have the "privilege" to vote... But I do have the "privilege" of being forced to file my taxes even though I don't live nor work in the US....

BS

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I was born a US citizen and have never lived in the US. After reading about my situation it seems that I'm not allowed to vote.

So I don't have the "privilege" to vote... But I do have the "privilege" of being forced to file my taxes even though I don't live nor work in the US....

BS
    Honestly, I wouldn't do the taxes if I were in your place. The only downside is you wouldn't ever be able to go to the US, but I don't see that as a bad thing at this point. Depending on how things go later this year I may be trying to get out of this country for good too. Because if the worst comes to pass, I definitely will.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am very curious if you could link the info stating this and a little more back story. I believe you and I'm pretty sure this isn't a new thing.

BS
    What state are your parents from because it looks like you should be able to vote in at least 37 states?
    https://vhd.overseasvotefoundation.o...eas-can-i-vote

Even then you can contact a state that isn't listed and you might be able to get help.
    https://www.fvap.gov/citizen-voter/reside

10+ Year Old Account
    Paying taxes is part of your duty, for that you retain citizenship, which allows you access others don't . If you weren't a citizen and renounce then you don't. Can't have it both ways.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Paying taxes is part of your duty, for that you retain citizenship, which allows you access others don't . If you weren't a citizen and renounce then you don't. Can't have it both ways.
    usually you are entitled to skip US taxes, because you are just obliged to file the very taxes where you live and earn the money.
    not much sense in the filing duty, if USA never will gain a single cent.

and no, citizenship is not linked to tax payments unless somebody was stripped of his citizenship for blatant tax evasion in USA already
    feel free to correct me
    Last edited by ranzino; 2020-02-12 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    usually you are entitled to skip US taxes, because you are just obliged to file the very taxes where you live and earn the money.
    not much sense in the filing duty, if USA never will gain a single cent.

and no, citizenship is not linked to tax payments unless somebody was stripped of his citizenship for blatant tax evasion in USA already
    feel free to correct me
    Do you have assets in the U.S? This is probably why you have to do your taxes. If anything its a formality, but you still have to file as the IRS likes to know how much gross income you have

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Depending on how things go later this year I may be trying to get out of this country for good too. Because if the worst comes to pass, I definitely will.
    Again?
    10chrs

The US is one of the only countries where you have to pay income taxes if you're a citizen even if you're not living in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No taxation without representation friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Again?
    10chrs
    Got a quote for this?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

BS
    Huh? Why in the world do you have to do taxes? I´m a dual citizen US/DK and never heard of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't do the taxes if I were in your place. The only downside is you wouldn't ever be able to go to the US, but I don't see that as a bad thing at this point. Depending on how things go later this year I may be trying to get out of this country for good too. Because if the worst comes to pass, I definitely will.
    Unfortunately, none of you who threatened this in 2016 followed through.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDoor View Post
    Unfortunately, none of you who threatened this in 2016 followed through.
    And you know this for sure because....?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Because they are still crying about it on online forum boards when presumably, had they left to a multicultural haven such as brazil, they would have no reason to.

Are you somehow working in the U.S. without living there? What are the taxes based on?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Are you somehow working in the U.S. without living there? What are the taxes based on?
    This was news to me, but apparently you have to pay taxes just for having a citizenship in the US... Can live in Australia and never set your food in the US, but you still have to pay.

I'd give up the US citizenship immediately.

i mean, if you don't and never have lived here, you probably hold ideals more close to the country's you live in.

people with non-american ideals shouldn't be allowed to vote in the US, it's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i mean, if you don't and never have lived here, you probably hold ideals more close to the country's you live in.

people with non-american ideals shouldn't be allowed to vote in the US, it's that simple.
    So Americans shouldn't be allowed to vote unless you feel they hold American ideals? That's very un-American of you. Why do you always expound the most ridiculous stances?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So Americans shouldn't be allowed to vote unless you feel they hold American ideals? That's very un-American of you. Why do you always expound the most ridiculous stances?
    it's american of me, since the founders seem to have thought the same thing.

he's basically not even a US citizen if he's never lived here. people without our cultural mindset shouldn't get to say what laws effect us. that's why our immigration system needs a serious overhaul to train people to be more american before they're allowed to be full citizens.