Ouch, looks like they announced a massive spike in both numbers of infections and deaths - Hubei province just announced almost 15,000 new cases and 242 deaths in a single day, taking the total passed 60,000 and 1,365 deaths.

So apparently there has been a huge uptick in cases due to “the adoption of a new diagnosis classification”. “14,840 new cases and 242 new deaths.”

If someone here can review and translate anything relevant in this article, that would be great.

http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/dtyw/20..._2025581.shtml

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Ouch, looks like they announced a massive spike in both numbers of infections and deaths - Hubei province just announced almost 15,000 new cases and 242 deaths in a single day, taking the total passed 60,000 and 1,365 deaths.
    Just saw this, but would still be great if someone could translate the article. I don’t trust google translate to translate everything correctly

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    My students are old enough to be expected to deal with online classes. For yours, being dropped at school is pretty much daycare. Your school probably got flooded with "I have to go to work, who is going to be there with my kids"? Shifting them to makeshift daycare would kind of make the whole isolation thing pointless, so might as well go ahead with classes.

For us, it is a bit bigger problem because our students are old enough to be going out on weekend trips and such ("such" probably involving Sanlitun or Wudaokou and more alcohol applied internally than externally).

- - - Updated - - -
    @Muajin76 Per the Beijinger pharmacies now have to report who buys cough or fever medicine.
    Now this is very interesting! I think that is just over-doing it just a bit.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    More irreverent news for English speaking nations.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    So apparently there has been a huge uptick in cases due to “the adoption of a new diagnosis classification”. “14,840 new cases and 242 new deaths.”

If someone here can review and translate anything relevant in this article, that would be great.

http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/dtyw/20..._2025581.shtml
    Page won't load so no idea what that one entails.

As far as I know, basically people that have been clinically diagnosed has been added instead of only tested. Effectively anyone that has all the hall marks of the virus including CT scans and what not are put into the infected list. Those that died with clinical diagnose today are also put into that pile. If you want to the scary take on it, that means death toll would probably be about twice as much.
    This is just taking into account of those that are hospitalized or whatever weird method the CCP goes with.

So now anyone that buys cough or fever medicine in Beijing has to register complete information. Including address, ID number, contacts and names. I can fully understand this. If someone even has the chance of having the virus, you know exactly how to find that person!
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76
    If someone even has the chance of having the virus, you know exactly how to find that person!
    It does, however, suck to be one of the people who has a bad reaction to high AQI levels like we have right now. Want something for that stuffy nose? If I have my passport I can buy ... compound pseudoephedrine tablets, which will put me right on that list. I also have chronic pain and most OTC NSAIDS (all that the common ones that I can think of) will also put me on that list.

I'm not particularly worried about the virus, but I am mildly worried about how virus control measures may end up putting me at greater risk of being exposed to it. When the AQI goes over 100, I cough. Right now, that's a good way to get herded in with a bunch of other people who may be ill. The pharmacy rule now adds one more way for that to happen. Yay.

@Remilia Looks like that is the original announcement, but you summed things up nicely. Thanks!
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2020-02-13 at 07:50 AM.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

If anyone is interested, here are a few things I am doing to prepare.

-Stocked up on plenty of lysol, bleach and hand sanitizer.
    -Stocked up on powdered milk, if we have to isolate to avoid infection, my kids will all be set.
    -Masks are hard to come by these days, but I have a few N95, P100 and some washable ones (I know the washable ones are not the best, but they should be adequate in areas with low risk of human contact)
    -We're good on food and water, I am planning on being able to isolate for up to a month if need be.
    -I've gone over infection prevention procedures with the family and they will be reinforced over the coming days till it becomes second nature.
    -I plan on routing all traffic entering the house to the back porch (it is closest to a bathroom). I accidentally bought an extra tent for a music festival last year and plan on using it as a decontamination station in the backyard. It is plenty big enough to stand up in and can be divided into separate chambers in the interior. It will have plenty of bleach water and trashbags. Fresh towels to wrap up in will be on the clean side of the tent. From the back door, it is only around 10 feet to the nearest bathroom, so anyone that comes inside can shower off to remove any remaining COVID-19 viruses. I will have more bleach water available in a spray bottle to decontaminate the hallway that leads to the bathroom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post

-Stocked up on powdered milk, if we have to isolate to avoid infection, my kids will all be set.
    -Masks are hard to come by these days, but I have a few N95, P100 and some washable ones (I know the washable ones are not the best, but they should be adequate in areas with low risk of human contact)
    -We're good on food and water, I am planning on being able to isolate for up to a month if need be.
    -I've gone over infection prevention procedures with the family and they will be reinforced over the coming days till it becomes second nature.
    -I plan on routing all traffic entering the house to the back porch (it is closest to a bathroom). I accidentally bought an extra tent for a music festival last year and plan on using it as a decontamination station in the backyard. It is plenty big enough to stand up in and can be divided into separate chambers in the interior. It will have plenty of bleach water and trashbags. Fresh towels to wrap up in will be on the clean side of the tent. From the back door, it is only around 10 feet to the nearest bathroom, so anyone that comes inside can shower off to remove any remaining COVID-19 viruses. I will have more bleach water available in a spray bottle to decontaminate the hallway that leads to the bathroom.
    How close are you to confirmed cases? Seems way overkill unless you're living in a village that has confirmed cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post

Just out of curiosity, in which Chinese city do you live that you need to make such preparations?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus
    my kids will all be set
    You are a parent and of course you worry about your kids. I would, however, ask that you reflect on the lessons you want to teach them. What you have described is hoarding. Instead of "screw y'all, we're going to be safe when the Zombie Apocalypse comes", think about teaching them a lesson that they are more likely to need in the future -- to care about other people. Think about donating some of that stuff to lower income people, or selling it back at cost online. They might never be exposed to the virus, but you are exposing them to negative life lessons like greed, paranoia, and "me first".

If, after reflection, you feel you really need to do this -- do it right. You've left out eye protection and surgical gloves. The advice here is to take steps to avoid contact with your eyes or nose -- don't shake hands, cough into the crook of your elbow rather than using your hand to cover your mouth, wear at least ordinary gloves when outside, and avoid unnecessarily touching common surfaces. Keep in mind that N95 masks are fatiguing to wear for an extended period; if you think they aren't your mask probably isn't properly fitted and they aren't much good if they don't fit.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I wonder why the mortality rate is so much higher in Hubei than in other provinces. Might be lack of medical attention due to the scale.

You are a parent and of course you worry about your kids. I would, however, ask that you reflect on the lessons you want to teach them. What you have described is hoarding. Instead of "screw y'all, we're going to be safe when the Zombie Apocalypse comes", think about teaching them a lesson that they are more likely to need in the future -- to care about other people. Think about donating some of that stuff to lower income people, or selling it back at cost online. They might never be exposed to the virus, but you are exposing them to negative life lessons like greed, paranoia, and "me first".

If, after reflection, you feel you really need to do this -- do it right. You've left out eye protection and surgical gloves. The advice here is to take steps to avoid contact with your eyes or nose -- don't shake hands, cough into the crook of your elbow rather than using your hand to cover your mouth, wear at least ordinary gloves when outside, and avoid unnecessarily touching common surfaces. Keep in mind that N95 masks are fatiguing to wear for an extended period; if you think they aren't your mask probably isn't properly fitted and they aren't much good if they don't fit.
    Nothing greedy or paranoid about having emergency supplies, there's absolutely no reason being prepared runs counter to caring about others. Even a doctor has to tend to his own wounds before he can help others.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    I wonder why the mortality rate is so much higher in Hubei than in other provinces. Might be lack of medical attention due to the scale.
    Most of the (reported) cases are in Hubei.
    From what I've gathered, it's one of the poorest provinces.
    Reported cases are bs and it proved yesterday when the case number jumped from 45k to 60k. China is probably secretly preparing for a catastrophe and so should the rest of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos
    Nothing greedy or paranoid about having emergency supplies
    People are cleaning stores out, particularly on masks. It is possible that "Masks are hard to come by these days, but I have a few N95, P100 and some washable ones" was mentioned because of color or fit, but that sure looks to me like hoarding, particularly since I don't recall that poster living in an area with a significant risk of exposure to the Wuhan virus (backyards and tents for music festivals don't sound like China for example). The decontamination protocol crosses over to paranoia where it hits the point of wrapping up in a towel after stripping and decontaminating, showering, and then spraying the hall behind them.

Edit:

@Strawberry Check @Remilia breaking out why that jumped happened. A really rough analogy is that they went from needing a DNA test to prove something is a duck, to just saying "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2020-02-13 at 11:17 AM.

People are cleaning stores out, particularly on masks. It is possible that "Masks are hard to come by these days, but I have a few N95, P100 and some washable ones" was mentioned because of color or fit, but that sure looks to me like hoarding, particularly since I don't recall that poster living in an area with a significant risk of exposure to the Wuhan virus (backyards and tents for music festivals don't sound like China for example). The decontamination protocol crosses over to paranoia where it hits the point of wrapping up in a towel after stripping and decontaminating, and then spraying the hall behind them.
    It seems a little excessive, but there hasn't been a mask shortage in the US, I could be wrong. Either way, his money and his property.

And storing 2 weeks to a month's worth of food and water is just common sense. I've seen that advice given long before this current outbreak. Not everyone wants to rely on benevolent big brother for immediate survival if there's a natural disaster or emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Nothing greedy or paranoid about having emergency supplies, there's absolutely no reason being prepared runs counter to caring about others. Even a doctor has to tend to his own wounds before he can help others.
    Damn Preppers, taking all my can o' beans!

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems a little excessive, but there hasn't been a mask shortage in the US, I could be wrong. Either way, his money and his property.
    We have a different focus, you're looking at property. I'm looking at the lesson the kids are going to see. To each their own, I work with spoiled rich kids, so I'm probably a bit sensitive to situations that make me wonder why the hell they're turning out like that. The answers that I find often trace back to helicopter parenting.

And storing 2 weeks to a month's worth of food and water is just common sense. I've seen that advice given long before this current outbreak. Not everyone wants to rely on benevolent big brother for immediate survival if there's a natural disaster or emergency.
    It depends on where one lives and under what conditions. Water is more a problem than food, a gallon a day is fairly conservative -- by the end of a week plan on being pretty ripe and don't ask about taking a dump. With kids that are still dependent on having milk, I would think it more prudent to have plans to evacuate to an emergency shelter if a problem is going to go on for more than a week.

@Daedius The beans you can have, but that SPAM is mine! (During an emergency, more time needed in the crapper is not something I endorse.)

South America and Indonesia have zero cases of infection wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Guangzhou has stepped down hard on stopping the outbreak. All villages are fully closed off from outsiders (I can't even go to the two villages I live next to, so I have no easy access to a supermarket anymore), there is mandatory curfew from midnight to 6am, all workers and residents who have not already come back to Guangzhou can no longer enter the city (or if they do they have to stay at special hotels used for quarantine), and you have to use valid ID cards and a prevention permit to enter/exit anywhere now.

They've also banned all take out and delivery services from entering villages and no gatherings of people are allowed anywhere.