Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    I’d like to see something new for Paladins alliance side. Night elf Paladins would be great and actually make sense, so much so they’re already in the game.

The allied races we got don’t count for Paladin since it wasn’t anything new. Just another Draenei and dwarf, cant even tell the difference with transmog on. We haven’t gotten any new playable race for Paladin on alliance in 12-14+ years I believe.

As for everything else I think opening up some restrictions would make sense and keeping others also makes sense.
    It is very silly that the players don't have the option to play Nelf Paladins but are allowed to play nelf mages.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

I had a warlock I loved. Blizzard yanked away my metamorphosis and shoved it in a new class. I'd gladly remake the character as a demon hunter, but racial restrictions prevent me from doing so. If Blizzard is going to gut class fantasy and then put it in a new class, then that new class should have the same or broader racial restrictions as the previous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I actually think there is too much for too many classes. Take some away. Why would zandalari and kul tiran be druids? Nightelf mage. Gnome Warrior?
    Zandalari druids are explained by Gonk (though I feel this is weak explanation). Kul'tiran druids and the Drust make a lot more sense, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    The Horde started dying when they added Blood Elves. Horde players are always bragging about being the badasses of WoW, however 90% of them are playing female Blood Elves because “they are pretty”.. not very badass. The Horde is Orcs, Trolls and Taurens... and the Horde is dead.
    Shouldn't the Horde have been dead when undead were added, then? Though I'm sure some feel the Horde died when Thrall was added...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Make their skin red, their eyes green, call them Eredar and bam. Draenei warlocks. I mean, every Eredar started off as nothing more than a regular Draenei.
    The Eredar didn't "start off" as a Draenei; the original Draenei were Eredar who chose self-exile over joining the Burning Legion. Though I do wonder why we still have blue-skinned Draenei if presence to fel is what turns skin (ala orcs becoming green) and we just went through a massive infusion of fel into Azeroth with the last Legion invasion. Seems at least the playable character Draenei should've been exposed to enough fel during that expansion to change their skin color.

5+ Year Old Account
    I like thinks to be unique and not general, its gives some flavor.

SWTOR did something nice, their jedi healer/dps was a copy of the sith healer/dps, they just used different spells and graphics, but the numbers were exactly the same.

well...lets say you are a draenei and want to be a rogue

cant that draenei not learn from some master rogue and become a rogue themself?

like in that movie "american shaolin", where he patiently waits outside the temple for days without food/water until they let him in and beginn with his training.

i mean, i am sure there was at least 1 of each race who wanted to be nothing else but <insert class that that race cant be for whatever reason>

so i am sure there are trainers of almost all classes who would take in any worthy trainees and over the course of a couple of years, train them to be one of that class.

another thing i never understood: i am a human priest, dedicate all my life to being a priest, i eventually die and get resurrected a forsaken, and i am still a priest, since that is what i was before i died.

but if i am a dedicated paladin and get ressurected after i die, i all of a sudden cant be a paladin anymore? (or any other class UD cant be).

how does that make sense?

why cant any race NOT be any class if they where to train with others to become one of that class? (maybe except dk's, if u never happen to be chosen by the LK)

Considering Blizzard doesn't give a shit about the lore making sense at all anymore, yes I think they should.

One of my favorite things about ESO actually was how you could be whatever race you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    All of the classes have overlap. That is inconsequential. The Pandaren channeling the Celestials makes more sense than a Kul Tiran or Nightborne.

It's not like a class gets to call dibs on an elemental force for showing up first. Mages: "Sorry Shaman and Warlocks, only I get to use Fire. I waited in line all night and got here first."
    Stupid comparison. Fire isn't just fire in the Warcraft universe. There are different distinct "fires" that are tied to completely different schools of magic in the Warcraft lore which is why the fire Warlocks wield is completely different from the fire mages or shamans wield. You can't say the same thing about the August Celestials because they're very distinct deities. Monks tap into them because their temples are tied and dedicated to the August Celestials. We don't even know whether they have any connection to the Emerald Dream/Druidism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post
    It is very silly that the players don't have the option to play Nelf Paladins but are allowed to play nelf mages.
    Except there's a good reason for why Nelves can play mages. Shen'dralar > a single Night Elf Paladin. Though knowing Blizzard, they'll likely use that as an excuse to introduce them at some point (maybe tied to a sneaky pre-order bonus, who knows? )

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BB8 View Post
    I like thinks to be unique and not general, its gives some flavor.

SWTOR did something nice, their jedi healer/dps was a copy of the sith healer/dps, they just used different spells and graphics, but the numbers were exactly the same.
    See I'm of the mind they could make things general while also retaining unique flavor.

Let's see they removed combat racials and made classes race-wide for everyone.

But then they put in things such as spell skills for races in a similar vein to Vanilla and how certain priest races got access to unique spells, though it would be all cosmetic and no power. With this, now you can create your character to be what you want it to be, but you would also still be a unique version of said class compared to everyone else.

I won't deny it would require a ton of work, but big gains can be made from big changes imo. Blizzard has been playing it super safe lately which is why, in my opinion, the game feels so sluggish. They really need to shake things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Stupid comparison. Fire isn't just fire in the Warcraft universe. There are different distinct "fires" that are tied to completely different schools of magic in the Warcraft lore which is why the fire Warlocks wield is completely different from the fire mages or shamans wield. You can't say the same thing about the August Celestials because they're very distinct deities. Monks tap into them because their temples are tied and dedicated to the August Celestials. We don't even know whether they have any connection to the Emerald Dream/Druidism.

Except there's a good reason for why Nelves can play mages. Shen'dralar > a single Night Elf Paladin. Though knowing Blizzard, they'll likely use that as an excuse to introduce them at some point (maybe tied to a sneaky pre-order bonus, who knows? )

Void Elves are a tiny subset of an already tiny race, yet they are a fully playable race with prominent characters and appearances in the world.

Numbers stopped mattering a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    The Eredar didn't "start off" as a Draenei; the original Draenei were Eredar who chose self-exile over joining the Burning Legion. Though I do wonder why we still have blue-skinned Draenei if presence to fel is what turns skin (ala orcs becoming green) and we just went through a massive infusion of fel into Azeroth with the last Legion invasion. Seems at least the playable character Draenei should've been exposed to enough fel during that expansion to change their skin color.
    So original Draenei were still blue though, right? And yeah, I'm not clear on that since most Eredar seem red, like Kil'jaeden, Rakeesh, etc., and yet Archimonde remains blue-ish. Maybe Shadowlands' customization options will add red skin and green eyes options for Draenei? Would be cool.

No, I don't want to see the fat bloated human male as a Demon Hunter. Human male model has got to be the ugliest race in the game, with big Popeye forearms, fat legs, fat waist, and just way too thick, like they've never worked out. And Gnomes too, those little wimpy F'ers would be terrible as Demon Hunters. But Allied race Elves would be cool for DHs

See I'm of the mind they could make things general while also retaining unique flavor.

Let's see they removed combat racials and made classes race-wide for everyone.

But then they put in things such as spell skills for races in a similar vein to Vanilla and how certain priest races got access to unique spells, though it would be all cosmetic and no power. With this, now you can create your character to be what you want it to be, but you would also still be a unique version of said class compared to everyone else.

I won't deny it would require a ton of work, but big gains can be made from big changes imo. Blizzard has been playing it super safe lately which is why, in my opinion, the game feels so sluggish. They really need to shake things up.

Void Elves are a tiny subset of an already tiny race, yet they are a fully playable race with prominent characters and appearances in the world.

Numbers stopped mattering a long time ago.
    It's still Void Elves. Notice something? Plural. There's only a single existing Nelf Pally and just because it exists somewhere in the lore, doesn't mean it should be a playable option. Using that logic we might as well be playing Draenei-Human-Orc hybrids.
    It's already a big stretch to imagine that one Night Elf would abandon their Goddess in favour of the Holy Light. It's just an entirely stupid concept.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    No, I don't want to see the fat bloated human male as a Demon Hunter. Human male model has got to be the ugliest race in the game, with big Popeye forearms, fat legs, fat waist, and just way too thick, like they've never worked out. And Gnomes too, those little wimpy F'ers would be terrible as Demon Hunters. But Allied race Elves would be cool for DHs

As opposed to a skinny elf with twig arms wielding two giant weapons that she can swing with effortless ease. Yet all elves and gnomes for that matter can be warriors.

Realism isn't a valid counterargument.

It's still Void Elves. Notice something? Plural. There's only a single existing Nelf Pally and just because it exists somewhere in the lore, doesn't mean it should be a playable option. Using that logic we might as well be playing Draenei-Human-Orc hybrids.
    It's already a big stretch to imagine that one Night Elf would abandon their Goddess in favour of the Holy Light. It's just an entirely stupid concept.

And yet tons of Nelves had no problem abandoning their Goddess after being raised in undeath.

If one Nelf could do it without being forced/influenced, it sets the precedent that more could follow. The lore is already there and this def isn't even one of the more iffy race/class combos.

Fire was just an example. Warlocks and Demon Hunters both use Fel. Paladins and Priests both use the Light. There are too many examples of thematic overlap to list really.

Not sure why the Emerald Dream has to be a prerequisite. How much does Drust magic or Dinomancy tie into with the Green Dragon Flight? There are already examples of Race/Class restrictions that adhere to racial logic more than Class rules. Sunwalkers. Gnome Priests.

Whenever the topic of race restrictions comes up people want to invent all of these rules that prohibit new combinations while at the same time completely ignoring all of the existing combinations that break those rules. That's even before taking into account that Blizzard could simply right new lore to accommodate anything they wanted.

If one Nelf could do it without being forced/influenced, it sets the precedent that more could follow. The lore is already there and this def isn't even one of the more iffy race/class combos.
    It's also one of the shittiest examples of recent WoW lore. A literal priestess of Elune going "oh, I feel like my education always was incomplete " and then joining an order of human knights. This degrades both human and night elf lore to a ridiculous degree and we certainly don't need more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    Fire was just an example. Warlocks and Demon Hunters both use Fel. Paladins and Priests both use the Light. There are too many examples of thematic overlap to list really.

Not sure why the Emerald Dream has to be a prerequisite. How much does Drust magic or Dinomancy tie into with the Green Dragon Flight? There are already examples of Race/Class restrictions that adhere to racial logic more than Class rules. Sunwalkers. Gnome Priests.

Whenever the topic of race restrictions comes up people want to invent all of these rules that prohibit new combinations while at the same time completely ignoring all of the existing combinations that break those rules. That's even before taking into account that Blizzard could simply right new lore to accommodate anything they wanted.
    Sure, Blizzard could also write lore that involves Man'ari having three cocks on their forehead instead of horns. That's not a good argument for introducing any change.
    You're making the case for Pandaren druids that wouldn't use nature magic tied to the Emerald Dream but somehow tap into the August Celestials. That's literally monks for you.
    We also knew that Zandalari could shapeshift into different forms since classic. There's no such thing when it comes to Pandaren (because monks already fill a similar role). Not every race needs to be the same in WoW.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2020-02-13 at 07:55 PM.

While I wouldn't be opposed, it would mean making unique druid forms and unique shaman totems, and unique paladin mounts etc. Now I'm not calling the wow art team lazy, the art team is fantastic, but I am saying they aren't gonna do work when they don't have to. And since this isn't something that has to be done, it's not gonna happen.

5+ Year Old Account
    It's also one of the shittiest examples of recent WoW lore. A literal priestess of Elune going "oh, I feel like my education always was incomplete " and then joining an order of human knights. This degrades both human and night elf lore to a ridiculous degree and we certainly don't need more of it.
    How is it degrading?

They have literally been close allies since Vanilla, and not even out of necessity, it really isn't surprising that the cultures would begin to mix.

Boxing Nelves into only being strict worshipers of Elune is more story-stifling if anything.

How is it degrading?

They have literally been close allies since Vanilla, and not even out of necessity, it really isn't surprising that the cultures would begin to mix.

Boxing Nelves into only being strict worshipers of Elune is more story-stifling if anything.
    WoW races have always had very distinct identities. It's what makes them interesting in the first place. Night Elves are a very proud race of ancient, superhuman beings that have only survived because they shut themselves off from other races and sticked to their culture that is heavily based on druidism and their worship of Elune. They're also traditionally very wary when it comes to other types of magic. The time they've been allied with humans pales in comparison to the time in which they've lived in complete isolation. Why would these beings (that are usually ten to one hundred times older than any human) suddenly start converting to the Church of the Holy Light?
    I mean, sure. We can let any race believe in anything they want. Get some Mechgnome shamans, Void Elf druids and Orc Paladins while we're at it.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2020-02-13 at 08:13 PM.

In all honesty? I think Blizzard should *REMOVE* certain options (and simply offer free race-changes to those affected). Race/Class restrictions are incredibly important, and they've essentially relaxed them to the point they're undermining themselves.

See, here's the thing; when you see only certain Races can be certain Classes (and vice-versa), it communicates a ton of information about both of those things.

"Night Elves can be Druids, but not Mages. That must mean they have a connection to nature, but not magic. Tauren can be Druids and Shamans, but Orcs can only be Shamans? That must mean Shamans are a bit more primal in using elemental forces, but not quite as in-tune with nature as Tauren or Night Elves are."

And quite brilliantly, Blood Elves originally couldn't be Warriors. That also communicated information; that Warriors are clearly a more rugged class, not just "anyone who picks up a weapon". It simultaneously communicated that Blood Elves were less "rugged" than other races, including Gnomes!

When they released Death Knights, Blizzard made a massive mistake by allowing everyone to be a DK. This was due, quite literally, because some of the devs thought "it would be funny" to have Gnome DK's running around. In doing so, they basically took a shit on their own lore. With Demon Hunters (and indeed, Legion as a whole), Blizzard returned a bit more to form, perhaps even slightly overkill, by restricting them to only two races, one per faction. In being *SO* restrictive, I would say it didn't *really* communicate a lot of information, and I would totally support them expanding the selection of Demon Hunters a bit. I'm not sure who I would extend it to, though. Draenei might make some sense for the Alliance (particularly if they had Broken or Man'ari options), and maybe Fel Orcs (or Mag'har) for the Horde?

In any case, those restrictions are incredibly important for world-building, and by loosening and even outright removing many of those restrictions, I think it has had the adverse effect of making the game worse.

I mean, if Blizzard truly doesn't give a shit about their lore (and it doesn't seem that they do), then by all means, let everyone be everything. But I genuinely feel that -- with the sole exception of the Demon Hunter -- the game would be better off having *fewer* Class-Race combinations, not more. It would also make "Allied Races" a lot more exciting, by having those as the "exceptions" that allow for more unusual options (again, such as introducing Broken or Man'ari Eredar, who might have access to Warlocks or Rogues, but no Paladins or Priests).

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    It's been way past time. Anybody who falls with the ''lol lore'' crap obviously hasn't played the past 3-4 expansions nothing in lore matters anymore it's just another arbitrary restriction placed on players.

Honestly wow should go much further and say fk it. no class restrictions, server-wide gold, much more BOA aspects to the game (essences/reputations/achievements/etc etc etc)

This stupid 1998 mentality of 'oh your alt needs to experience the same as your main cuz he's out in the big wide world of LORE!' and akin is outdated and annoying tbh.
    "The lore is already shit" is not really a compelling argument for making it even worse but I get where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    How does disallowing class restrictions mess with lore at all, other than in head cannon and maybe a bio in a novel here or there? What REALLY changes? Hell leave class restrictions for RP servers if you want, thats what they're for after all
    Because classes have lore backgrounds and aren't just vehicles to explore the world. That's what makes WoW classes interesting compared to other MMORPGs.

I think they should open up more race/class combinations that haven't really ever made sense being restricted (undead Paladins when we have undead Priests for example) but completely removing all of them makes it seem kinda boring.

Then again I'm talking about a game that now has allied races which are probably the most blatantly obvious concept of shoehorning monetisation into races, and which now places armour sets behind paywalls (CLASS SETS DIED AND WE GOT THIS SHIT LMAO).