Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    Okay, superfan.

- - - Updated - - -

Also don't we only ever see her with no hair/short stubble on her head?
    Ask ASoIF fans what they think of the ending of their favorite series. Not to mention how many fan favorite characters never even showed up on tv or were mashed together into an amalgam. Yeah I would much rather have no show than GoT S8.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Ask ASoIF fans what they think of the ending of their favorite series. Not to mention how many fan favorite characters never even showed up on tv or were mashed together into an amalgam. Yeah I would much rather have no show than GoT S8.
    Very strong argument, you're definitely a very proud superfan.

Trolling isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-02-14 at 10:28 PM.

Very strong argument, you're definitely a very proud superfan.
    You definitely have never read the books and are here to just try to attack people who don't like the casting it's fairly obvious.

You definitely have never read the books and are here to just try to attack people who don't like the casting it's fairly obvious.
    You got me, since I'm so unaware that Perrin having african features and brown skin is intrinsic to the narrative and his own character progression it only makes sense that I haven't read the series twice and am currently up to Fires of Heaven in my audiobook listenings.

Keep it up superfan, whatever makes you feel better about hating on the media content you profess to love.

You got me, since I'm so unaware that Perrin having african features and brown skin is intrinsic to the narrative and his own character progression it only makes sense that I haven't read the series twice and am currently up to Fires of Heaven in my audiobook listenings.

Keep it up superfan, whatever makes you feel better about hating on the media content you profess to love.
    Fires of Heaven is a great one, though it's bracketed by two of the best books in the series, which part are you up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Fires of Heaven is a great one, though it's bracketed by two of the best books in the series, which part are you up to?
    Just started, this is mostly my attempt to get my girlfriend into the series, so I only get through about 30mins of stuff per day since we put it on before bed. I'm really enjoying hearing her theories as we get through stuff and it's such a struggle not to give spoilers when she straight up asks me shit like 'IS ELAIDA A DARKFRIEND?', just as we listen to an exchange between her and Alviarin. It's hard not to giggle in response.

I really hope they keep as much foreshadowing in the show as possible, or maybe make up some new ways to foreshadow things that translate better on screen vs. in the books.
    Last edited by Kharadin; 2020-02-14 at 10:39 AM.

Just started, this is mostly my attempt to get my girlfriend into the series, so I only get through about 30mins of stuff per day since we put it on before bed. I'm really enjoying hearing her theories as we get through stuff and it's such a struggle not to give spoilers when she straight up asks me shit like 'IS ELAIDA A DARKFRIEND?', just as we listen to an exchange between her and Alviarin. It's hard not to giggle in response.
    Nice, that's a smart way to get someone into it. You're stronger than I am, I can't help but tease people/spoil a little sometimes. Had you listened before? Those narrators are top notch, and I dig the concept of having a male/female pair, it was a really clever touch for a series built like this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I would much rather have no show than GoT S8.
    Just like an Indiana Jones fan will argue that there are only 3 IJ movies, I will argue to my death, there are only 7 seasons of Game of Thrones.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Sooo.... are we still bitching about the two black characters in a tv show made for a country with a major black population?
    For character where there skin color does not really matter.

Also: ONLY all the black characters are wrongly cast. As aaaalwaaaaays everywhere. I am so looking forward when there is going to be a gay kiss in the background of some shot and everyone looses there shit. The Anti-SJW is more annoying than the SJW crowd.
    And predictable.

I am looking forward to the Tv show. Wanted this ever since i read the first book YEARS ago. Also i always imagined Perrin and the others there more dark skinned. Granted not black. But darker,

You will never get another movie/tv show without a black character. Get over it or just watch anime.

Nice, that's a smart way to get someone into it. You're stronger than I am, I can't help but tease people/spoil a little sometimes. Had you listened before? Those narrators are top notch, and I dig the concept of having a male/female pair, it was a really clever touch for a series built like this one.
    No, only read. The pronunciation of some words is really grating on me but otherwise I'm a big fan of Cramer/Reading. I always said 'Egg-win' in my head, and 'Care-hine' as opposed to 'Egg-wain'/'Cai-ree-en'. I will never, however, be okay with 'Roo-ih-deen' or 'Moe-geh-deen', my head canon is absolutely 'Roo-ih-dee-uhn' and 'Moe-geh-de-uhn'.

Fun fact, they're also a married couple who do readings at some of Brando Sando's siginings and shit, they're very cool people.

I'm also really looking forward to getting a bit more development of Elayne/Egwene/Aviendha in the next few books, my girlfriend really dislikes the supergirls right now and doesn't understand my constant blatherings as to Egwene being awesome when I was finishing my last read-through.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Sooo.... are we still bitching about the two black characters in a tv show made for a country with a major black population?
    For character where there skin color does not really matter.

Also: ONLY all the black characters are wrongly cast. As aaaalwaaaaays everywhere. I am so looking forward when there is going to be a gay kiss in the background of some shot and everyone looses there shit. The Anti-SJW is more annoying than the SJW crowd.
    And predictable.

I am looking forward to the Tv show. Wanted this ever since i read the first book YEARS ago. Also i always imagined Perrin and the others there more dark skinned. Granted not black. But darker,

You will never get another movie/tv show without a black character. Get over it or just watch anime.
    Honestly, I always imagined them as white, but my position is that as long as the relative appearances make sense I'm happy. Aiel lighter than most characters (and sharing appearance traits w/ Rand), Tuon darker than most characters, everything's cool. But yeah, I agree.

The only casting error they've made thus far is Mat. He should be as dark-skinned as Perrin, Nynaeve, and Egwene. His being as light-skinned as Rand takes away part of a pretty major plot point regarding Rand's lineage. I guess blue eyes and red hair will have to suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    The only casting error they've made thus far is Mat. He should be as dark-skinned as Perrin, Nynaeve, and Egwene. His being as light-skinned as Rand takes away part of a pretty major plot point regarding Rand's lineage. I guess blue eyes and red hair will have to suffice.
    The thing is it was only his height, eyes and hair that made him stand out from the rest of the Two Rivers folk. If he was so out of character for Two Rivers then Padan Fain would have known he was straight away who he was.

And don't forget that nobody even suspected that Rand wasn't Tam's son - if all of the Two Rivers were dark skinned, that would be a hard sell.

Maybe they should cast Tuon as a pale-skinned - after all the colour of her skin has no impact on her character.

No, only read. The pronunciation of some words is really grating on me but otherwise I'm a big fan of Cramer/Reading. I always said 'Egg-win' in my head, and 'Care-hine' as opposed to 'Egg-wain'/'Cai-ree-en'. I will never, however, be okay with 'Roo-ih-deen' or 'Moe-geh-deen', my head canon is absolutely 'Roo-ih-dee-uhn' and 'Moe-geh-de-uhn'.

Fun fact, they're also a married couple who do readings at some of Brando Sando's siginings and shit, they're very cool people.

I'm also really looking forward to getting a bit more development of Elayne/Egwene/Aviendha in the next few books, my girlfriend really dislikes the supergirls right now and doesn't understand my constant blatherings as to Egwene being awesome when I was finishing my last read-through.
    They mostly follow the pronunciation guides so can't do much about it. I get you though, imagined a lot of those words differently in my head. Read Faile as "fail" but it's meant to be fah-EEL, or Nynaeve as nih-knave instead of nigh-NEEV.

The girl power struggle is hard to read, they so frequently act like the 18 - early 20s people they are but that bit gets old fast. Elayne is one of the most annoying people in the books. The best part about all of it is Egwene, who iirc really starts the best part of her journey in Fires.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    Guess it could be an issue, but if they picked the right personality it's worth the loss. Reserving all judgment on casting until I see these actors working with the material. It can be challenging, as that defunct pilot demonstrates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Tbh there are plenty of black people in the books, especially later on.
    Indeed. My problem with casting isn't that they're adding too many brown people... it's that they're adding them in the wrong freakin place. There are PLENTY of other races and cultures in WoT. Add them when we reach them. Don't try to make the tiny and vaguely xenophobic village of Emmond's Field a cultural melting pot, like it's modern day London.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    You know who could change race easily and is important from early in the series without affecting them as a character? Min

Or you could change Cairhien to be black and with it Moraine.
    Yup, I would be totally fine with either of those. I actually always pictured Min as looking a little asian. but mostly because she was the wife I had the biggest crush on, and at the time I was all abuot short haired asian ladies... Still works, though.

And yeah, Moiraine being a PoC would totally work, AND she's a leadning character. Add in that by he time she leaves (albeit temporarily) we'd have met a few of the other cultures, there'd still be adequate representation.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

They mostly follow the pronunciation guides so can't do much about it. I get you though, imagined a lot of those words differently in my head. Read Faile as "fail" but it's meant to be fah-EEL, or Nynaeve as nih-knave instead of nigh-NEEV.

The girl power struggle is hard to read, they so frequently act like the 18 - early 20s people they are but that bit gets old fast. Elayne is one of the most annoying people in the books. The best part about all of it is Egwene, who iirc really starts the best part of her journey in Fires.
    Post-captured by tower Egwene is best Egwene. Dunking on Elaida for DAYS.

Post-captured by tower Egwene is best Egwene. Dunking on Elaida for DAYS.
    I just got to that part in my reread and it really is fantastic, from the moment it begins. She is instantly more poised than the loyalist sisters, and more committed to the tower. And it connects very well to the training she received in Fires, Wise Ones know how to build leaders.

I just got to that part in my reread and it really is fantastic, from the moment it begins. She is instantly more poised than the loyalist sisters, and more committed to the tower. And it connects very well to the training she received in Fires, Wise Ones know how to build leaders.
    Absolutely. Also the entire Rhuidean flashback in TSR I was underrated in my initial read, learning about the heritage of the Aiel is super cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plus it would be interesting having Cairhien culture with black people. And Galad could be mix-race which given he is supposed to be the hottest guy ever, works.
    Yup. Frankly, the more I think about this, the more annoyed I am that they didn't go that route. Imagining Moiraine looking something like Lorraine Pascale... Yeah. That works for me XD.

Plus it would be interesting having Cairhien culture with black people. And Galad could be mix-race which given he is supposed to be the hottest guy ever, works.
    Gawyn and Elayne would be mixed-race as well as a result as their shared father was from Cairhien.