Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Leaving the game, guild etiquette

Is it bad form to just quit the game and not saying anything to my guild who heavily invest in its members? They have a webpage, discord, raid signups and do split-runs so I have to raid twice/week. I don't wanna deal with explanations I just wanna disappear from the game with no excuses or stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Is it bad form to just quit the game and not saying anything to my guild who heavily invest in its members? They have a webpage, discord, raid signups and do split-runs so I have to raid twice/week. I don't wanna deal with explanations I just wanna disappear from the game with no excuses or stress.
    Well yes. It sucks for them not knowing if you ever come back online or if they should start looking for a replacement. You can just drop a line and log off. No need for excuses, explanations and whatnot.

My dad did this once

Yes.

There is nothing wrong with quitting the game for any reason. It is a game. Remember however you are also dealing with real people, that are not just a part of the game. If you do not want to post out some long goodbye just send a message to someone trustworthy within the guild (usually an officer/GM) and move along. If they get upset with you, that is on them. If they ask to know why, just say its a personal matter that you do not wish to discuss.

I guarantee you any guild worth being in will be far happier knowing someone is quitting so they can begin finding replacements instead of just getting ghosted and wondering what they should do/how long they should wait before looking.

If you're vital to the guild just send someone a PM before you bail and leave it at that

7+ Year Old Account
    If you are fine with burning bridges, and don't care about them, you have every right to just vanish.

however if you care about them, and don't wish to burn bridges, incase you return someday and want to play again, i would tell them "hey i plan to quit, would yall be fine with me leaving now, or do you want me to do like a month of runs till you can find a replacement"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Just post something saying you have irl problem and need to sort it out.
    They have at least some tight to know if you stop or not.

Yeah it's bad form. Put on your grown-up pants and leave the diaper in the corner. Be an adult and let them know you're done. It doesn't have to be a drawn out conversation, but it's a shit thing to just disappear.

I am a very asocial person. One of the things I like about the internet is that it makes it easier to just up and disconnect from people when I've grown tired of dealing with them.

Additionally, my experiences with guilds, no matter the online game, hasn't ever exactly been positive and as such, on the rare occasion I actually join one, I almost always end up leaving soon after.

All that being said, I have always told the people in a given guild that I was leaving, and given the reasons why. It's just common courtesy.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

If you don't want it to be a conversation, just make it a notification. Post that you are "leaving the guild because you no longer enjoy the game, thanks for the fun, sorry for any impact this may have, good luck" and then leave the guild and discord. No need to get into a discussion, and then they know they need to move on without you, instead of being uncertain.

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    I am a very asocial person. One of the things I like about the internet is that it makes it easier to just up and disconnect from people when I've grown tired of dealing with them.

Additionally, my experiences with guilds, no matter the online game, hasn't ever exactly been positive and as such, on the rare occasion I actually join one, I almost always end up leaving soon after.

All that being said, I have always told the people in a given guild that I was leaving, and given the reasons why. It's just common courtesy.
    If you're a "very asocial person", may I ask why you would play a game where teaming up with others and creating social bonds is a core mechanic of the game? Not trying to be offensive here, just genuinely curious. Personally I'm the complete opposite, I'm the dude who starts conversations on planes with complete strangers I will never see again in my life because I'm bored and want to kill some time. Wouldn't a single-player console (or PC) RPG be better for you? I just finished Ni-No-Kuni II and Dragonball Z: Kakarot on the PS4, and they were both stellar games, worth every penny.

On Topic: let the leadership know. Whisper multiple officers and make sure they relay the message between themselves so recruitment can start A.S.A.P. Doesn't have to be long, nor does it even have to be true; you can easily give an innocent white lie as to why you're leaving the guild. The important part though is to not disrupt the guild's raiding schedule, cause that just fucks over everyone, without them deserving it. It's like when you're stuck in traffic & late for work - call your manager/boss/superior, inform them, and all will be good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks all, I'll mention something to them in the next main raid. It's not like they're short of replacements anyway but I have been 100% reliable.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2020-02-15 at 10:30 AM.

I understand where you are coming from, but as an ex guild master and officer for many years, its the fucking worst when people just ghost on you. it is the one thing that makes me never want to grp or guild up with the person ever again. almost anything else ill give a 2nd chance down the road.

The best you can do is give a full explanation, and a 1-2 week warning.

but all you have to do is give any reason. "Im not really feeling the game anymore, so Im going to let my sub run out, sorry for the inconvinience" or w/e else u want to say, doesnt really matter at the end of the day, just keep in mind 20+ ppl will ask that officer what happened with Twoddle, why did he quit, so giving him anything he can reply with is just nice, wether its true or not really doesn't matter.

It takes very little effort from you, to make life a lot easier for someone else who has invested time and energy into you

Ninja leaving guild is apparently what so called "ghosting". According to Washington Post it is the worst possible behaviour nowadays.

Please don't act like that

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    If you're a "very asocial person", may I ask why you would play a game where teaming up with others and creating social bonds is a core mechanic of the game? Not trying to be offensive here, just genuinely curious. Personally I'm the complete opposite, I'm the dude who starts conversations on planes with complete strangers I will never see again in my life because I'm bored and want to kill some time. Wouldn't a single-player console (or PC) RPG be better for you? I just finished Ni-No-Kuni II and Dragonball Z: Kakarot on the PS4, and they were both stellar games, worth every penny. .
    you can play without creating any social bonds
    guilds are a tool for raiding, nothing more for me

and there is a lot of solo content

Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    you can play without creating any social bonds
    guilds are a tool for raiding, nothing more for me

and there is a lot of solo content
    This is a thread about Classic, not Retail

Sure, you can play Classic solo. But you're missing out on 90% of the fun. Guild-groups doing 5mans with Discord banter, where even in full current BIS from Ony/MC/Dire Maul you can wipe if you pull 3 packs of mobs in Strath UD are easily the most fun moments in the game. Like, I log on Discord before I log into the game. I also happen to be the guilds main enchanter, so De Facto I interact with every single guild member on a weekly basis, to enchant their gear .

Vanilla/Classic is the closest thing to an actual RPG while being an MMO. The MMO part should not be disregarded.

Be smart then, write a nice goodbye letter, post in discord and immediately drop that server, remove the friendlist, gquit and everything. Boom, you are gone and they got info so they wont be wondering for the next 4 weeks if you perhaps even died as you just disappeared.

It's not hard to be nice and you can do this in a way that obviously wont mean you have to explain more than needed and only once! Drop the info and disappear!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    If you're a "very asocial person", may I ask why you would play a game where teaming up with others and creating social bonds is a core mechanic of the game? Not trying to be offensive here, just genuinely curious. Personally I'm the complete opposite, I'm the dude who starts conversations on planes with complete strangers I will never see again in my life because I'm bored and want to kill some time. Wouldn't a single-player console (or PC) RPG be better for you? I just finished Ni-No-Kuni II and Dragonball Z: Kakarot on the PS4, and they were both stellar games, worth every penny.
    With any online game I've ever played it's always been more about the story or gameplay for me, rather than the social aspects. I do actually enjoy single player RPGs as well, but I also appreciate the continually-evolving nature of a given MMORPG's story and background lore. Also, there are some settings I enjoy that don't have a single-player RPG readily available for them; WoW being a good example. I greatly enjoyed WarCraft III when I was younger, but needed to play WoW if I wanted to see what happened to the characters and plotlines I liked.

It's also important to note that I said I am "asocial" not "antisocial". I'm not hostile to the notion of social interaction, it's just not my preference. As such, I don't mind having to group with other people where necessary (I did mention being apart of guilds, before), but I still generally prefer playing alone, where possible. Thankfully for people like me, a lot of online games these days do allow people to mostly play solo, while also giving them the tools to create transitory groups to complete content that can't be done alone.

And no offense taken. I always appreciate an attempt to understand a perspective different from one's own.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

You don't really owe anyone anything, but to me it says a bit about your character if you can't let them know

...I mean, do you care about them or plan to maybe return one day?
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!