Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Ask ASoIF fans what they think of the ending of their favorite series. Not to mention how many fan favorite characters never even showed up on tv or were mashed together into an amalgam. Yeah I would much rather have no show than GoT S8.
    Perrin's played by a brown guy therefore WoT will be like GoT season 8? That's quite a stretch superfan.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Sooo.... are we still bitching about the two black characters in a tv show made for a country with a major black population?
    For character where there skin color does not really matter.

Also: ONLY all the black characters are wrongly cast. As aaaalwaaaaays everywhere. I am so looking forward when there is going to be a gay kiss in the background of some shot and everyone looses there shit. The Anti-SJW is more annoying than the SJW crowd.
    And predictable.

I am looking forward to the Tv show. Wanted this ever since i read the first book YEARS ago. Also i always imagined Perrin and the others there more dark skinned. Granted not black. But darker,

You will never get another movie/tv show without a black character. Get over it or just watch anime.
    I mean when they´re white in the books and then black in the show then yes, they´re casted wrong and please the us don´t have a major (a lil hint mate, major is a lot more 50% and we both know that the us don´t have over 50% blacks) of black people.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread continues to give me nothing but enjoyment watching people try and justify their blatant close-mindedness with "but the book says...!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    This thread continues to give me nothing but enjoyment watching people try and justify their blatant close-mindedness with "but the book says...!"
    And you believe this thread would exist if the books weren't popular?
    Write me a check for the Brooklyn Bridge please.

Sooo.... are we still bitching about the two black characters in a tv show made for a country with a major black population?

Also: ONLY all the black characters are wrongly cast. As aaaalwaaaaays everywhere. I am so looking forward when there is going to be a gay kiss in the background of some shot and everyone looses there shit. The Anti-SJW is more annoying than the SJW crowd.
    And predictable.

I am looking forward to the Tv show. Wanted this ever since i read the first book YEARS ago. Also i always imagined Perrin and the others there more dark skinned. Granted not black. But darker,

You will never get another movie/tv show without a black character. Get over it or just watch anime.
    The term is sun kissed aka farmers tan and no I'm more terrified because the showrunner doesn't give a shit about staying faithful to the series and there is no way they are going to actually collar young black women so the Seanchen sequences will have to be radically altered. Fairly sure I have complained about more than just Egwene Nynaeve and Perrin's casting. Liandrin is meant to look like she is in her early 20s not her 40s for example. Again we have a ton of official content we have comics we have the CCG and Rafe is just ignoring all of it.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20100322230518

He has also made noises about making Rand's harem be into fucking each other instead of a tight knit sisterhood that forms after they realize they love the same man. Bain and Chiad are almost certainly together but Rafe has diversity first and foremost in his mind instead of making an accurate adaptation so there will be a lot more than just them and pillowfriends.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    Perrin's played by a brown guy therefore WoT will be like GoT season 8? That's quite a stretch superfan.
    Rafe doesn't give a shit about accuracy to the books and casting black characters will mean sequences will have to be drastically altered both corporal punishment ones and the collaring ones there is no way those can exist with black characters so they will be removed or massively altered because certain segments of the media who have never read the series will go after them like mad for those.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Just like an Indiana Jones fan will argue that there are only 3 IJ movies, I will argue to my death, there are only 7 seasons of Game of Thrones.
    Sure you can argue that but the eighth season did happen and until the series actually gets finished in written form (probably not going to happen) it's the current end of the series. If this "adaption" is successful much like game of thrones it will mean nobody is going to risk remaking it for years and years to come. If it bombs hard preferably to the point of being canceled halfway through the first season we are more likely to see someone else try with a option closer to the books within a decade or so. With the idiot in charge this is going to become Legend of the Seeker or Shannara bad they even cast one of the actors from that trainwreck. Golden compass is a great example of that decentish film that didn't recieve the response wanted and is now being rebooted as a tv series that seems to be much closer to His Dark Materials in nature and has already been renewed. Reminds me I need to watch that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The thing is it was only his height, eyes and hair that made him stand out from the rest of the Two Rivers folk. If he was so out of character for Two Rivers then Padan Fain would have known he was straight away who he was.

And don't forget that nobody even suspected that Rand wasn't Tam's son - if all of the Two Rivers were dark skinned, that would be a hard sell.

Maybe they should cast Tuon as a pale-skinned - after all the colour of her skin has no impact on her character.
    Seriously people don't seem to get this the pattern is trying to hid him not paint a giant blinking neon sign on him that says this dude is different get him. Early on when Mat gives the Manetheren war cry in the old tongue it seems like he's the one Moraine is looking for to the reader. Now that's really not going to be a thing. Gee I wonder who the special one is the only one who stands out maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a lot of black people later on Alanna is a good cast for example they just aren't part of the Edmond's five. But we gotta be woke now can't be book accurate. Hey let's make For Life but with a white dude since race doesn't matter to pre-established characters (side note: this seems super interesting and is on my too watch list). Steel he can be white dude too. Tuon let's make her white color doesn't matter after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Great let's make Luke Cage white color doesn't matter after all. Oh I know we can talk about how casting iron fist a white dude in the comics as a white guy is racist and he should be cast as Asian instead.

Rafe doesn't give a shit about accuracy to the books and casting black characters will mean sequences will have to be drastically altered both corporal punishment ones and the collaring ones there is no way those can exist with black characters so they will be removed or massively altered because certain segments of the media who have never read the series will go after them like mad for those.
    I do love it when you have opinions you can back up with evidence, superfan.

Trolling isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-02-15 at 08:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great let's make Luke Cage white color doesn't matter after all. Oh I know we can talk about how casting iron fist a white dude in the comics as a white guy is racist and he should be cast as Asian instead.
    Once again, you tried to use this exact same example before, Luke Cage being black in a place and time where black people were viewed as lesser is a major part of his character. You remove that, you completely change the character and story. Same for Iron Fist, his entire story is about a white guy being raised in an asian culture. Now, I am only about half way through WoT so I may be wrong, but I have not seen any time when a person or people were discriminated against because of their skin color or where their skin color had any impact on their character bar one major example, the Aiel. They are the one group that people pre-judge based on the way they look. So as long as all the Aiel in the show look different than the rest of the cast and Rand has characteristics that separate him from the rest in that same way, the skin color of the other characters does not matter at all. Black, white, asian. Doesn't matter as long as they are not tall people with pale hair, skin, and eyes.

But this is the last time I am going to respond to you. It is clear you don't care about anything other than "boo, black people in my white fantasy story. Blah blah woke blah blah."

Have fun with that.

Once again, you tried to use this exact same example before, Luke Cage being black in a place and time where black people were viewed as lesser is a major part of his character. You remove that, you completely change the character and story. Same for Iron Fist, his entire story is about a white guy being raised in an asian culture. Now, I am only about half way through WoT so I may be wrong, but I have not seen any time when a person or people were discriminated against because of their skin color or where their skin color had any impact on their character bar one major example, the Aiel. They are the one group that people pre-judge based on the way they look. So as long as all the Aiel in the show look different than the rest of the cast and Rand has characteristics that separate him from the rest in that same way, the skin color of the other characters does not matter at all. Black, white, asian. Doesn't matter as long as they are not tall people with pale hair, skin, and eyes.

But this is the last time I am going to respond to you. It is clear you don't care about anything other than "boo, black people in my white fantasy story. Blah blah woke blah blah."

Have fun with that.
    It is sad that someone who is ostensibly a fan -- it's believable that this person has read the series -- doesn't grasp that one of the messages of the series is that skin color is irrelevant. It just... doesn't come up in the books really. It's mentioned, obviously, but the characters don't fixate on it, they only fixate on culture or gender. Where they notice skin color, it's to comment on culture. Even then, when a character fixates on culture they are shown to be more or less silly. Characters are often at their most foolish when they make assumptions based on such weak predictors, but this joker and apparently many others either didn't grasp what the author was trying to say, or don't care, yet presume to speak on his behalf. Jordan very clearly grasped that people are best understood as individuals, I would be shocked if he cared very much at all about the skin color of casting choices. You're right though, not worth engaging.

7+ Year Old Account

And predictable.

Shure i can have that, i just don´t have to watch american shows. Pretty ignorant of you mate.

Have fun with that.
    This would be the 'white fantasy story' which already had plenty black people in it, including the ruling family of the most powerful nation around (Seanchan), the Sharans and the Sea Folk?

- - - Updated - - -

My objections are based on it making no sense from a story telling and world building point of view. RJ spent a decade building the world and working out how it all fitted together. Meanwhile the show is doing change just for changes sake with no consideration of how it would change the story or the world.

I have no objection to changing race if it works or makes no major changes to the story. Idris Elba as Heimdall was great - hell, he'd make a great James Bond for that matter. Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury? Loved that as well.

And I dislike it when it happens the other way as well. One of my (many) problems with the Starship Troopers movie was that it whitewashed the cast, and that was over twenty years ago, before the whole diversity thing kicked off. In the book, Juan 'Johnny' Rico and Carmencita Ibanez are actually Fillipinos, not Aryan posterchildren.

The cover of knife of dreams has Perrin facing Berelain. Just saying.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The cover of knife of dreams has Perrin facing Berelain. Just saying.
    Which cover though? There's been two that I know of, and I think the books I have are all the original covers (as far as I know). The books came in boxes of three all the way up to The Gathering Storm, so Towers of Midnight and A Memory of Light were stand alone books, along with New Spring. I believe that is the cover you are talking about, however. There's been a newer print of the series since then, and that started rolling out after I had already bought most of the books, as I'm pretty late to the series.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2020-02-15 at 03:15 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's the book I have. Funnily enough, it's one of the books I hated reading the most aside from Crossroads of Twilight. I know a lot of people like to dunk on Winter's Heart, but I thought it was good enough, not as good as it's predecessors mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    It is sad that someone who is ostensibly a fan -- it's believable that this person has read the series -- doesn't grasp that one of the messages of the series is that skin color is irrelevant. It just... doesn't come up in the books really. It's mentioned, obviously, but the characters don't fixate on it, they only fixate on culture or gender. Where they notice skin color, it's to comment on culture. Even then, when a character fixates on culture they are shown to be more or less silly. Characters are often at their most foolish when they make assumptions based on such weak predictors, but this joker and apparently many others either didn't grasp what the author was trying to say, or don't care, yet presume to speak on his behalf. Jordan very clearly grasped that people are best understood as individuals, I would be shocked if he cared very much at all about the skin color of casting choices. You're right though, not worth engaging.
    It literally does come up when characters look different from what is considered the established norm it is remarked upon. The only people not worth engaging are the ones who don't get that the Pattern is trying to hide Rand and ignore that because they want to push diversity over faithfulness to the books. Alanna being different from the norm is remarked upon so is Tuon so is every character that is different from the norm. Randland is a single continent it's not the world as a whole.

- - - Updated - - -

Have fun with that.
    I literally named multiple characters who are black in the books just not the edmond's five and Fain. Alanna is a very good casting. You are wrong you are talking to someone who has read the series through cover to cover 3 times and has listened to every audio book multiple times so don't try to make claims when you haven't even read the damn series.

- - - Updated - - -

I do love it when you have opinions you can back up with evidence, superfan.
    You mean like threatening to make characters gay because you can't comprehend that people have reasons other than being bigots for disliking your moronic casting? That seems like evidence as to the idiot's state of mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    This would be the 'white fantasy story' which already had plenty black people in it, including the ruling family of the most powerful nation around (Seanchan), the Sharans and the Sea Folk?

- - - Updated - - -

My objections are based on it making no sense from a story telling and world building point of view. RJ spent a decade building the world and working out how it all fitted together. Meanwhile the show is doing change just for changes sake with no consideration of how it would change the story or the world.

I have no objection to changing race if it works or makes no major changes to the story. Idris Elba as Heimdall was great - hell, he'd make a great James Bond for that matter. Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury? Loved that as well.

And I dislike it when it happens the other way as well. One of my (many) problems with the Starship Troopers movie was that it whitewashed the cast, and that was over twenty years ago, before the whole diversity thing kicked off. In the book, Juan 'Johnny' Rico and Carmencita Ibanez are actually Fillipinos, not Aryan posterchildren.
    Sam Jackson wasn't even a change because Nick Fury in the Ultimate universe which is much closer to the MCU than the base universe is black. Also agree with you about Starship troopers. No point in bothering with talking to people who have admitted they haven't even read the series like that one.

You mean like threatening to make characters gay because you can't comprehend that people have reasons other than being bigots for disliking your moronic casting? That seems like evidence as to the idiot's state of mind.
    Lol you're justifying some guy making a death threat toward Rafe, who makes a joke about it in response, which you've taken seriously.

Good job convincing me you're not a bigot, superfan.

If they want to make characters gay that aren't then they're wasting time and money

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Shure i can have that, i just don´t have to watch american shows. Pretty ignorant of you mate.
    Sure you can. But the biggest tv shows are american. Just the way it is. I am from germany and most european tv shows are shit. Don't get me wrong. It is weird that there are many different races in the rivers. I just don't care if they are black or white. It does simply not matter.

Also: This particular part of the the overall story of the books is only apparent to people who read the books. TV shows have to have a way bigger audience. Look at game of thrones. Everyone i know watched it. I was the only one who read the books.

As hard as it is, the fans of the books will not make or break the tvshow. New people to the IP will carry it. And for that they have to serve everyone.
    If new people won't watch it the tv show will fail.

I hope everyone will give this TV show a chance no matter the race of the actors because they won't change it. If this tv show fails we won't get another one. So lets hope everything else is good for you all so you can overlook the skin color of the characters.
    But for some in the forums it is a already decided thing. You hate it. It could be apart from the skin color a perfect representation of the books. You will still hate it.
    Look at the Witcher. Good tv show. People are still bitching.

If they change characters for no reason then it deserves to fail.
    One thing that should be remembered is that most of the characters are still teenagers when this all begins.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If they change characters for no reason then it deserves to fail.
    One thing that should be remembered is that most of the characters are still teenagers when this all begins.
    Pretty sure it only spans like 2 years though in actual time. One thing I didn't really like is that the concept of time wasn't really projected in any sound way, so everything could have been either 6 months or 6 years for all we knew. I think they only end up by AMoL where Rand is like 20 or something. The only real constant was basically Elayne and company all being late stage preggers at the end of the AMoL.

Lol you're justifying some guy making a death threat toward Rafe, who makes a joke about it in response, which you've taken seriously.

Good job convincing me you're not a bigot, superfan.
    Yeah I sure believe it's a joke from someone who actually thinks it's good to be red ajah. You're utterly pathetic and very clearly have limited knowledge of the series.

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-02-15 at 09:40 PM.