Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I wonder the same thing as to why Kathleen Kennedy is still allowed to make Star Wars movies. Both have brought out nothing good as of yet, quite the opposite actually, yet they remain in a leading role. Brack also seems incredibly disconnected with the playerbase and thinks to highly of himself, he thinks he knows what the playerbase wants and doing these fake apologies while they actually just want to stay on China's good side. Ofcourse this is all based of what we see and hear from him and I don't know how he acts behind the screens.
    Since you opened the door:
    I love how everyone acts like Kennedy is some no name hired on to helm Star Wars and has never done anything of note. Just a quick google search shows what she has done in her career.
    Also, as people like to act like she has done nothing good in Star Wars, she is listed as an executive producer for The Mandalorian, which is hilarious when people list it as a reason to remove her from Star Wars. She is also listed as executive producer on Rogue One, which has mixed reviews but overall well received. You should also look at things she’s done before all of this and you might understand why she is in her position.

As to the topic at hand, as others have stated, no one knows everything he has done behind the scenes or before he got his current position. He also isn’t in the developer position and more than likely just oversees everything in place while trying to balance making money with the product while handling negotiations between Blizzard and Activision, as well as handling the budget. Keep in mind, most of his information and decisions are based on paper, and when a dev takes him something for approval he has what they tell him. He trusts others to actually deliver on what he is told they will do. The guy isn’t in quality control and isn’t supposed to be.
    As far as his attitude, while abrasive at points, has not been shown to be wrong (for the things I’m aware of). The infamous “you think you do,” quote is pretty hilarious because this website alone has proven how correct he was. Since the announcement people have asked for changes, asked for continuation, been split on what they want, and Classic has had a massive decline from what people said would never happen. While I’m happy Blizzard finally did it and made a lot of people happy, he wasn’t wrong.

The Last Jedi was awesome. Blame JJ's bland ass for the wreck that was TROS.

He had the highest rank so they chose him.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jeff Kaplan and good will? What the hell is that? xD

But on serious note. Brack became Blizz president only, because Activision got since 2016 more influence on Blizzard, Morhime didin't liked it so he quited sinking ship.

he either had really good weed or some serious dirt on some Activision people. Because lets face it, despite the claims, blizzard doesn't call any shots any more. Especially when it comes to hiring upper management

I have no idea what he's like internally or as a person to be around and work under. Maybe he's amazing, I have NO idea.

What I can say is before he became president, he was my least favorite dev as a player. He's too "comic book store guy" from the Simpsons for my taste. He SEEMS like he'd be a great pick if I was on the board and wanted someone to run Blizzard that was easily influenced and agreeable. Basically a tool.

I don't think we really know what happened with Morhaime (or do we?). He could have been pressured out. I also don't think he's as much of a good guy as people think. I like him, but the dude is also partly responsible for merging with Activision and in that getting filthy rich. He's valued at over 2 billion, which is kind of disgusting when you see that Chris Metzen, the major creative voice that developed their franchises, is worth $10 million. Don't get me wrong, he deserves great success, but that kind of stuff rubs me the wrong way and makes me feel likes he's not actually what he seems. I've known people like that, that are really lovable on the surface, but have a ruthless dark side. I sort of see him that way.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2020-02-16 at 08:31 AM.

He had sexy time with Kotick, ain't that obvious at the moment?

Itt people seeing a small slice of someone's character and dvd making judgements and assumptions.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I don't think we really know what happened with Morhaime (or do we?).
    No, we do not. It's all speculation. Some pretend to know but they don't. If I were worth a couple of billion dollars after 27 years with the same company I'd likely retire as well and do something else. That's the simplest explanation and pretty much the one he gave. I don't know either but Blizzard has clearly been stuck in a rut since Titan failed so perhaps it's not a terrible thing that there's someone else at the top.

By the way, Brack has been a long-time producer on World of Warcraft. I don't know if that's really development (I think not) but mostly producers execute the design that's given to them, co-ordinate teams and are responsible for getting shit done on time. Good ones will express their opinion on things but the final say on what goes into a game is generally someone else. Personally, I like the fact that in the past he says what he thinks, even when it pisses people off. I much prefer that over the mealy-mouthed public-relations speak we generally get. Since he's now been promoted I suppose that's over.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-02-16 at 08:52 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

i am bobby kotick

this is why i hired j allen brack for president of blizzard and ceo of wow.

i drew his name out of a hat but his name wasnt in the hat, i drew my own name.

i am j allen brack

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    No, we do not. It's all speculation. Some pretend to know but they don't. If I were worth a couple of billion dollars after 27 years with the same company I'd likely retire as well and do something else. That's the simplest explanation and pretty much the one he gave. I don't know either but Blizzard has clearly been stuck in a rut since Titan failed so perhaps it's not a terrible thing that there's someone else at the top.

By the way, Brack has been a long-time producer on World of Warcraft. I don't know if that's really development (I think not) but mostly producers execute the design that's given to them, co-ordinate teams and are responsible for getting shit done on time. Good ones will express their opinion on things but the final say on what goes into a game is generally someone else. Personally, I like the fact that in the past he says what he thinks, even when it pisses people off. I much prefer that over the mealy-mouthed public-relations speak we generally get. Since he's now been promoted I suppose that's over.
    I agree, that it's better to have someone that expresses what he thinks. I guess I never really saw him that way, though I can think of a couple things that would make you say that. I more just didn't like his perspective and way he expressed himself. Wasn't something in particular he said, just the general way he expressed himself and spoke about projects didn't really vibe with me. He's actually the only past dev I really felt that way about.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2020-02-16 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Since you opened the door:
    I love how everyone acts like Kennedy is some no name hired on to helm Star Wars and has never done anything of note. Just a quick google search shows what she has done in her career.
    Also, as people like to act like she has done nothing good in Star Wars, she is listed as an executive producer for The Mandalorian, which is hilarious when people list it as a reason to remove her from Star Wars. She is also listed as executive producer on Rogue One, which has mixed reviews but overall well received. You should also look at things she’s done before all of this and you might understand why she is in her position.
    Kennedy's track record is based on working on movies with Steven Spielberg and her husband's company. She might be really good at being a president, running all the departments and such, but she has little to no track record as a creative professional, hiring directors and other leads and approving scripts and such. Her track record with directors speaks volumes to that. "Producer" can mean a lot of things in the movie world, and she was working with people who were not relying on her for creative input.
    I won't touch on why she's still there, as I don't know. But to say she's the right fit to be making creative decisions - nope. Not gonna let that one stand at all. The performance of Lucasfilm since she took over points towards her not being the right person - or taking on too many roles she's not cut out for.

mistook J. Allen Brack for JJ Abrams. :P
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

I would guess that as producer, he worked closely with the executive office, and Morhaime's team, with the backroom issues of keeping the WOW teams running and funded and on track. That's all the foot in the door someone would need. It's hard to say. There are other people there, even founders, who could have taken the job (or didn't want it), who knows? But I've worked for companies when lower levels are promoted to President, through sheer politics. He may have even expressed an interest in stepping up from game director to the executive office in the years before Morhaime stepped down, and was fast tracking towards that.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Bitch all you want, BfA sold 3.4M up to first day, most in history. They haven't study forums and opinions of "passionate fanbase" to pick a guy, just they results.

By the way, I think that Brack was behind releasing BfA so early (which caused like 80% of BfA problems) to get another success on his CV. I don't have any evidence, it's just most logical explanation in my opinion.

It's simple. He is a morally bankrupt yes man that will protect the bottom line no matter who he tramples over or craps on in order to kiss what ever butt he has to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    he either had really good weed or some serious dirt on some Activision people. Because lets face it, despite the claims, blizzard doesn't call any shots any more. Especially when it comes to hiring upper management
    Show me your proof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Every company needs that stupid guy whose face is gettin controlled. E voila

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Before working for Blizzard, Brack's big job was being a producer for Star Wars Galaxies, during a time period where many players felt that the game's quality started to go downhill. But aside from game decisions... The guy isn't exactly a great public speaker, and at times even appears to belittle the audience "You think you do, but you don't." Him looking like a music store worker doesn't help matters.

And with all that... Blizz has been in a sea of controversy over the past year, with Blitzchung and Warcraft 3 reforged being at the heart of it. Brack's apologies have been... underwhelming, to say the least. So what did Morhaime or anyone else see in this guy to be president of Blizzard?
    There's posts from fellow SOE employees at the time he was working on SWG that Brack was actually strongly against certain changes to the game, in addition to the fact that he was undermined with rushed with untenable deadlines because of WoW's impending release. The higher ups wanted to make sweeping changes fast to maintain their income. Meanwhile, Brack was actually working with high end players playtesting other changes that were looked upon fondly by the community and addressed their concerns. He actually left SOE for that reason.

Lots of accounts of people who worked with him before WoW say he was a guy who was really focused on the happiness of the player. Even accounts from behind the scenes state that he was one of the driving forces behind Classic after he received so much blowback from "you think you do".

I think Morhaime thought he got his loads of money, doesn't need to work anymore and is tired of putting up with Activision so up and packed.

Wich btw is what i think the Bioware doctors did too.

The owners don't really care about the company. When they sell it's cause they preferred the money over continuing the company. In truth, Activision and EA are simply the devil's desire, but it's these people that capitulate to it. I can understand why. It gives them and their family monetary stability. It's still a betrayal of the fans, but alas. Priorities.
    So, these companies, when they sell out you know they are finished. Brack is just the tool that sucked up to the overlords and got the job.

All I can say is I once met him at Gamescom prior to the 2012 MOP launch and I have to disappoint you: He didn't come across like the power hungry douche some want him to be. The problem with Blizzard CEOs is: They are Nerds and not business men. No wonder they can be pushed around so easily.