Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Wolcen is fantastic. I've had a blast playing it.

Of course, very few ARPGs can beat Diablo series (I'm biased because me and Diablo go back to the '90s)
    Diablo 1 and 2 are and were great. But everything about diablo 3 with the exception of its smooth combat is very mediocre.

Lol, Path of Exile took the best part of ARPG and monetized it.
    monetized interesting builds, talent trees that are actually rewarding to think about, incredibly intelligent currency systems, and trading? power spikes and character progression? item bonuses that actually make you stop and ponder about?

Because i hope you never played ARPGs for the way gear looks.

Fuck F2P.
    Okay sure but there's a reason that Poe is far and away objectively superior to things like diablo and grim dawn with a wealth of satisfying and innovate endgame content while also getting new content more consistently than any of those games.
    Last edited by Beastiel; 2020-02-16 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    fixing of the most glaring bugs(unhittable mobs for instance).
    What mobs have been unhittable? Just curious as I haven't run into any and I'm bout to wrap up the story. Closest thing I could think of are the tiny little bat mobs that could be a PITA to directly target but I just kill those with my skills which all aoe all over the place or force attacking if I need to basic attack so I imagine it isn't them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    but I've definitely been having 2nd thoughts on my tanky-tank build, just because my caster build has been killing shit so fast and that actually makes me wanna try a Child of Fury build (just going balls to the wall big dick melee / fire dmg).
    On my online char (that I only got to lvl 9) I was splitting points between ferocity and toughness cause I was worried bout tankiness. On my offline char I figured I'd just dump ferocity until my health started to be a problem and thus far my health is keeping up fine (9.3k at lvl 39) just from passive talents I got along the way to damage ones and gear. I've made barely any effort to build tanky and the game hasn't really given me a reason to.

Would definitely recommend building "glass cannon", though you may not end up very glassy either.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Online server status: We want to give you more information about what happened and what we're working on right now.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/42437...6358205578309/

Lol, still not even an ETA. There's nothing wrong with server outage due to a huge surge in players, but this only exposed the glaring problems this game still has. This is not about servers not being able to handle the amount of players. This is about the whole infrastructure and tech of the game. They shouldn't have released a faulty product like this. They really should have worked on it a few months longer. Even when the servers will be online again in couple of days, they will still need a lot of time to fix this.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2020-02-16 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    What mobs have been unhittable? Just curious as I haven't run into any and I'm bout to wrap up the story. Closest thing I could think of are the tiny little bat mobs that could be a PITA to directly target but I just kill those with my skills which all aoe all over the place or force attacking if I need to basic attack so I imagine it isn't them.
    Its the tiny bats yes, I had no issues with it as Melee but on launch day I watched Bahroo seriously struggle with hitting them with his gun. Their hitboxes can be super finicky if your not using aoe attacks.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Sigh, still down and probably for another day. I really hope they someday implement Offline characters to at least directly connect to others. I am able to understand more of the game in my Offline character but I never wanted to play Wolcen as SSF.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    Blows my mind how popular poe is,is it because of the f2p?the combat felt clunky(its better these days),the gearing and progression just feels wrong to me,and like you said,the gear looks like crap if you dont pay,grim dawn is the pinacle of arpg in the modern era,hopefuly torchlight 3 will deliver,also i have recently tried titan quest again,its basicaly an inferior grim dawn in almost every aspect,but i simply ADORE the seting its in.
    Combat in PoE is actually among one of the smoothest atm unless you have a build that melts the CPU (some exist that casts shit too fast). I would argue that even if the combat we're as rubberbandy as back then, it would still hold highest popularity for a few good reasons: Crazy build concepts that actually work, a neat complext stat system that allows the crazy and viable builds to work, and an endgame that has depth beyond any game ARPG that exists atm.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Sigh, still down and probably for another day. I really hope they someday implement Offline characters to at least directly connect to others. I am able to understand more of the game in my Offline character but I never wanted to play Wolcen as SSF.

Combat in PoE is actually among one of the smoothest atm unless you have a build that melts the CPU (some exist that casts shit too fast). I would argue that even if the combat we're as rubberbandy as back then, it would still hold highest popularity for a few good reasons: Crazy build concepts that actually work, a neat complext stat system that allows the crazy and viable builds to work, and an endgame that has depth beyond any game ARPG that exists atm.

It really isn't though, it's janky as fuck. Wolcen has some problems with hitboxes for the small enemies but the gameplay is much smoother otherwise than PoE, while not as smooth as D3 which is kinda the peak for the genre ATM.

Oh my god, I just got to the after campaign scene and they forgot the main characters animations and my characters just sitting there T posing and then doing animations from the T pose and the awkwardly slides away still in T pose I can't

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    It really isn't though, it's janky as fuck. .
    Elaborate please

far as i can tell it's mostly preference, diablo 3 has a good level of pacing and variation to it's combat. Poe has a lot of spamming your main skill and your mobility skill, but that allows you to put more emphasis on what to look out for and where you're going. The speed is a little over the top but running into several massive packs in high level maps can feel like a total rush and after that type of play the tedium of wolcen's forced dual resource system feels like a momentum-killing dick tease and something about the combat feels slightly delayed although that might just be servers.

but i've never experienced anything in poe like whack hitboxes or unresponsiveness or any other adjectives befitting of the word jank.
    Last edited by Beastiel; 2020-02-16 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    It really isn't though, it's janky as fuck. Wolcen has some problems with hitboxes for the small enemies but the gameplay is much smoother otherwise than PoE, while not as smooth as D3 which is kinda the peak for the genre ATM.
    It literally is. Maybe its the PC system but a few leagues ago I played a speedy Raider with frost blades and could freely dash around the map with zero issues and delete packs with a high APS skill. PoE registers animations very well atm, some builds like my CwC Volatile Dead will drop frames because reasons but fast builds don't feel janky at all.

Wolcen atm is sticky with some animation locks and hopefully, the flasks being unable to be used while attacking is only a bug and not intended.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    Elaborate please

far as i can tell it's mostly preference, diablo 3 has a good level of pacing and variation to it's combat. Poe has a lot of spamming your main skill and your mobility skill, but that allows you to put more emphasis on what to look out for and where you're going. The speed is a little over the top but running into several massive packs in high level maps can feel like a total rush and after that type of play the tedium of wolcen's forced dual resource system feels like a momentum-killing dick tease.
    I don't mean which skills you use and the variation thereof, but how they interact with the mobs and how impactful they feel. Which is kinda underwhelming in PoE, whereas in D3 when you hit that first mob with your basic attack you can really feel the impact of your blow, like the character is actually hitting something and not just pixels on a screen. I can't speak about PoE and how it feels in endgame because I never got to that part since I can't get past level 30-40 before I get bored with it. I'll give it another go when 2.0 drops cause maybe they improve that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    the tedium of wolcen's forced dual resource system feels like a momentum-killing dick tease and something about the combat feels slightly delayed although that might just be servers.
    I feel like you haven't played much if you believe its forced. Its basically just having mana and fury on your bar at the same time... but choosing to only use one is no different than playing a barb vs a sorc in D3 for instance. If you make a willpower build you have a mana bar and you can pretend the rage bar isn't there, and if you make a rage build you can pretend the mana bar isn't there and you're just working like any other fury style character.

I just finished the campaign can do 35k crits and my character passively regenerates fury instead of willpower and is entirely rage based. I'm not at all being forced to use willpower. Also because I'm capable of doing that much damage I damn near 1 shot everything except for magic / rare monsters which maybe take a few swings. Its concerning how quickly I power creeped already if anything, nowhere near as slow as people claimed it was.

I feel like you haven't played much if you believe its forced. Its basically just having mana and fury on your bar at the same time... but choosing to only use one is no different than playing a barb vs a sorc in D3 for instance. If you make a willpower build you have a mana bar and you can pretend the rage bar isn't there, and if you make a rage build you can pretend the mana bar isn't there and you're just working like any other fury style character.

I just finished the campaign can do 35k crits and my character passively regenerates fury instead of willpower and is entirely rage based. I'm not at all being forced to use willpower. Also because I'm capable of doing that much damage I damn near 1 shot everything except for magic / rare monsters which maybe take a few swings. Its concerning how quickly I power creeped already if anything, nowhere near as slow as people claimed it was.
    Doesn’t leap use mana though? So if I make myself fury oriented with passive fury règen, wouldn’t it creep to capped fury between packs, meaning i’m running with full fury while not fighting?

That’s pretty inconvenient, if you can’t use your initiating ability, because you have no mana because of maxed up fury due to passive regen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tang0 View Post
    Doesn’t leap use mana though? So if I make myself fury oriented with passive fury règen, wouldn’t it creep to capped fury between packs, meaning i’m running with full fury while not fighting?

That’s pretty inconvenient, if you can’t use your initiating ability, because you have no mana because of maxed up fury due to passive regen.
    The leap doesn't cost Willpower, it generates Rage. Which kinda makes it look like it costs willpower I guess but you can use it at full rage.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Online server status: We want to give you more information about what happened and what we're working on right now.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/42437...6358205578309/

Lol, still not even an ETA. There's nothing wrong with server outage due to a huge surge in players, but this only exposed the glaring problems this game still has. This is not about servers not being able to handle the amount of players. This is about the whole infrastructure and tech of the game. They shouldn't have released a faulty product like this. They really should have worked on it a few months longer. Even when the servers will be online again in couple of days, they will still need a lot of time to fix this.
    I'm glad it released now, this whole thing doesn't impact me in the slightest and I get to play a pretty good game while the 2 (poe and d3) are in a season lull. But I'm weird, I'd rather game companies release a partial game so I can play it and then add to it later.

Like... I'd totally take a half completed Shadowlands in July instead of a full completed SL in Nov just so I can play what they have done. As long as they don't charge extra for improvements I'd rather play things early and deal with bugs over not playing them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tang0 View Post

The leap skill is a cooldown that generates rage, theres rune options that can modify that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    There were already pre established mmos at the time.
    Yeah,but there were no wow like ''casual'' mmo's that were popular,all the popular ones at the time were rather punishing,xp loss,full loot steal in pvp,outdoor only bosses etc,wow made the casual mmo style popular,as all mmo's after folowed that model

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post

I need to try poe again to see if it rly changes the combat so much,but last time i played it was rly stiff,diablo 3 as shity as it is,atleast its combat is buttery smooth,heck even titanquest a 2006 game felt better

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    I need to try poe again to see if it rly changes the combat so much,but last time i played it was rly stiff,diablo 3 as shity as it is,atleast its combat is buttery smooth,heck even titanquest a 2006 game felt better
    Combat is easily the weakest part of PoE, its basically ARPG cookie clicker. The character animations are still stiff and awkward looking as well. Im hoping PoE 2 helps a bit there but it mostly looks like more of the same but better if you enjoy the game for what it is.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wolcen's launch as far as gameplay/content are suprisingly good consider how little was in EA for so long. It's pretty smooth, has a good balance of POE type complexity and freedom with D3 slickness/feel. Very fun to play mechanically.

Voice acting solid:
    Writing: fucking terrible

Player Stats: interesting and impactful
    Gear/Items: Pretty bad until you get purps and oranges to drop

Above all else, this game completely fails at a few key things:

Networking. This issue is still unresolved without any meaningful communication to what is going on.
    Quality of Life: No item filters, no permanent item visibility, so many basic ARPG features it's like they didn't care at all to spend time on this which suggests a major crunch to get the rest of the game out. This can be added with time, sure, but it's not very fun to deal with now.

Ultimately as long as this doesn't turn into abandonware and they use the tons of money these sales give them to fix all of the above, this could become a very solid Diablo replacement. Still miles away from PoE for what you want and get out of it and could also use some more diverse archetypes for the stats/spells/wheel. But yeah, maybe wait until it's 50% off or they patch a few things before buying.

Fun as hell right now if you just like solid ARPGs, but not remotely perfect.
    BAD WOLF

Combat is easily the weakest part of PoE, its basically ARPG cookie clicker. The character animations are still stiff and awkward looking as well. Im hoping PoE 2 helps a bit there but it mostly looks like more of the same but better if you enjoy the game for what it is.
    IDK man, poe2's animation look smooth AF to me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Fun as hell right now if you just like solid ARPGs, but not remotely perfect.
    Sums up the game right there lol, couldn't agree more.

Fuck you click issue, i just want my gear

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Sounds good, but don't forget defense points, you'll hate yourself if you don't put anything into your defenses.
    I hope they don't have the same issue PoE has where if you don't have some stuff invested in defense, you're a paper doll who will get 1 shot constantly. They should know how gamers work (in that most players want to just build straight damage for them big numbers) and design it so, at baseline, you can simultaneously do damage and take damage, and the points themselves are just specialization on top of the competency you innately have.

Think of wow. How many DPS actually have to spec defensives, or use defensive items to have baseline survivability? None. They removed the "choice" for you to be a complete bonehead and just gave all you needed on the gear without asking you if you wanted it or not.