Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    So to pivot the discussion: a friendly reminder that nobody in their right mind should be voting for Michael Bloomberg in the primary.

And just for good measure, here's a bit from Politico about him comparing teachers' unions and the NYCLU to the NRA.

Make no mistake, this man is Trump in blue patrician clothing and it's fairly telling how so many people have apparently jumped on the bandwagon.
    Yeah, if Bloomberg gets the nomination, I absolutely will not participate in the democratic party raising it's own Trump. It's worrisome that people are so obsessed with beating Trump that they'd pick a guy for the same reasons the right coalesced around Trump: to beat the other team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Yeah, if Bloomberg gets the nomination, I absolutely will not participate in the democratic party raising it's own Trump. It's worrisome that people are so obsessed with beating Trump that they'd pick a guy for the same reasons the right coalesced around Trump: to beat the other team.
    Like I said, Bloomberg is the one, the one Democratic candidate I would legitimately consider skipping voting for on the general and just voting down ticket.

As much as I dislike the Sanders camp, Bloomberg's worse. I don't buy that "vote for a racist to save the republic from racists because he's more civil and low key with his racism" is a good selling point for democratic participation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said, Bloomberg is the one, the one Democratic candidate I would legitimately consider skipping voting for on the general and just voting down ticket.

As much as I dislike the Sanders camp, Bloomberg's worse. I don't buy that "vote for a racist to save the republic from racists because he's more civil and low key with his racism" is a good selling point for democratic participation.
    Trump is so repugnant I'll vote for almost anyone the Dems nominate simply because even the worst of them would still be so much better for the country than Trump is.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Trump is so repugnant I'll vote for almost anyone the Dems nominate simply because even the worst of them would still be so much better for the country than Trump is.
    Not really countering the viewpoint that a lot of people's sole objection to Trump is that he's rude, but okay.

- - - Updated - - -

So, here's a nice middle finger to all the people crowing about how beneficial Bloomberg's money is.

Bloomberg blitzkreig media campaign is pulling people away from down ballot Democratic efforts that cannot afford to spend his exorbitant amounts of wealth on campaign staff.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really countering the viewpoint that a lot of people's sole objection to Trump is that he's rude, but okay.

- - - Updated - - -

So, here's a nice middle finger to all the people crowing about how beneficial Bloomberg's money is.

Bloomberg blitzkreig media campaign is pulling people away from down ballot Democratic efforts that cannot afford to spend his exorbitant amounts of wealth on campaign staff.
    Trump is racist, sexist, bigoted and crooked. His policies are awful and because of him so many norms we never made laws because we thought no one would ever violate them will need to be made laws. Then there is the tatters he has left the government in and his corruption of the government. See also his meddling with the Roger Stone case.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Every time I read something about Bloomberg's 'past' position on things like business/workforce/healthcare/security he comes off like a huge piece of shit. Are there middle class workers actually rooting for this guy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump is racist, sexist, bigoted and crooked. His policies are awful and because of him so many norms we never made laws because we thought no one would ever violate them will need to be made laws.
    Okay. And Bloomberg is a racist that bitches about women having the audacity to become pregnant and his policies involved a wide scale campaign of police violence against minorities.

Your point?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Every time I read something about Bloomberg's 'past' position on things like the business/workforce/healthcare/security he comes off like a huge piece of shit. Are there middle class workers actually rooting for this guy?
    The question kinda misses the mark, in that the moderates don't have anyone to "root for".

Bloomberg's got the same draws as Biden but is less gaffe prone in public and has enough wealth to smother scandals that would sink him. That's really all it is.

They banked on Biden as the moderate pick and, shockingly enough, now that he's proven to be something of an asthmatic horse they're trying to mobilise behind an alternative - you can see this with Pete's surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Every time I read something about Bloomberg's 'past' position on things like business/workforce/healthcare/security he comes off like a huge piece of shit. Are there middle class workers actually rooting for this guy?
    A lot of them probably haven't heard his history at all. I've only recently discovered myself that he was a former mayor in New York (Ran as a Traitorpublican), and what I read of his short stint was nothing short of reprehensible. Everything from approving Stop n' Frisk to stopping of minimum wage hikes, ect... There was a reason New York voted his horrific ass out. >_<

EDIT: One one good note though, his political campaign adds seem to be remarkably devoid of talking about himself, and more about painting Dump in a bad light. So, IMO he's doing the right thing ad-wise... for all the wrong reasons, of course! ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    A lot of them probably haven't heard his history at all. I've only recently discovered myself that he was a former mayor in New York (Ran as a Traitorpublican)
    Y'all need to stop throwing "they were a Republican" around as if it's a valid defense or criticism of anything.

Partisan realignments happen literally all the time and if we'd had people like you in the 60s the northern Republican party would never have been absorbed by the Democrats.

If they have bad policies, then point that out. But labels are literally the most superficial ass criticism and especially meaningless in the American political system with its big tent parties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay. And Bloomberg is a racist that bitches about women having the audacity to become pregnant and his policies involved a wide scale campaign of police violence against minorities.

Your point?
    And he was wrong on all those counts. If he wants my vote in the primaries he needs to demonstrate that he knows he was in the wrong, apologize for being in the wrong and making a serious effort to prove he knows he was wrong and is working to better himself.

Meanwhile, Trump will never admit he's wrong about anything ever. Trump whipped up a lynch mob against the Central Park 5 and refused to apologize even after the evidence exonerated them. He has a whopping 42 or so women accusing him of varying degrees of sexual assault. He's spent over 120 million dollars to go golfing at his own properties; how much of that do you think has ended up in his bank account?

Then there are his emoluments violations at his resorts, including the what I am sure is a massive coincidence of his failing Doral resort jacking up its rates just ahead of the GOPs winter retreat being held there soon. Cheapest rooms went from 254 dollars a night to a whopping 538 dollars a night. And that's just this Doral incident.

Your point?
    That Bloomberg is the lesser of two evils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Pretty much my mindset. For whatever bad most of the Dems still running have done, Trump is several magnitudes worse. Hence my vow to vote blue no matter who gets the nomination in November. As bad as Trump is now, just how much worse do you think he'll get if he gets reelected?

Pretty much my mindset. For whatever bad most of the Dems still running have done, Trump is several magnitudes worse. Hence my vow to vote blue no matter who gets the nomination in November. As bad as Trump is now, just how much worse do you think he'll get if he gets reelected?
    I think we all know if Trump gets re-elected him and his cult will try to have him become a dictator officially this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Yeah but the difference is like, Trump is an Evil 5, and Bloomberg is an Evil 4.5.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Yeah but the difference is like, Trump is an Evil 5, and Bloomberg is an Evil 4.5.
    As bad as Trump is now, how much worse do you think he'll get should he be re-elected?

10+ Year Old Account
    As bad as Trump is now, how much worse do you think he'll get should he be re-elected?
    That's a terrible reason to be ok with "questionably less evil but probably not by much".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a terrible reason to be ok with "questionably less evil but probably not by much".
    Don't blame me: I voted for Kodos.

10+ Year Old Account
    To reference South Park, a lot elections are between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. You need to decide which option sucks less. In this case, the 'sucks less' option is almost anyone running as a Democrat right now.

you are severely mistaken. bloomberg is an absolute oligarch that will hurt this nation far more than an incompetent like trump ever will be able to.

everything he's done has been through suggestive forces around him. he's not as stupid as people make him out to be, but he's sure not exactly the brightest. you want an actual hellscape administration, you elect bloomberg.

10+ Year Old Account
    To reference South Park, a lot elections are between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. You need to decide which option sucks less. In this case, the 'sucks less' option is almost anyone running as a Democrat right now.
    How appropriate, considering that South Park's propensity for reducing complex political issues to "people that care about things are losers" is part of the culture that produces a Trump presidency.