Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Stop giving old people medicine.

Once you hit 70 you're on your own. The fuck is a generation supporting a bunch of vegetables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm 100% in favor of this and would take it one step further and have forced sterilization on people upon puberty unless/until they can prove they can support their ONE child on their own without the aid of the government or anyone outside of the two parents (or one parent if a woman so elects to be a single mom).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I'm 100% in favor of this and would take it one step further and have forced sterilization on people upon puberty unless/until they can prove they can support their ONE child on their own without the aid of the government or anyone outside of the two parents (or one parent if a woman so elects to be a single mom).
    So, basically forced sterilization of the poor.

I didn't even think we needed this reminder but apparently we do, so: eugenics are a bad thing based on shitty pseudoscience, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    So, basically forced sterilization of the poor.

I didn't even think we needed this reminder but apparently we do, so: eugenics are a bad thing based on shitty pseudoscience, people.
    Yeah but... poor people are just... the worst.

Like, oh mai gawd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that specific minority of people cannot reproduce doesn't mean anyone else shouldn't, this projection is not necessary

Good idea, but we as humans could never get a global policy going so don’t see it happening.
    WW3 or a global sickness that will kill most population will be a more logical breaking point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    With overpopulation and everything that comes with it, one of the solutions that comes to mind is a 1 child policy, globally, for the next somewhat years. Would you be in favour of this or not? Why?

Personally id say this is a pretty big infringement on our autonomy, on the other hand, its needed. So if not for life, id say its cool.
    This should have been made international law years ago...it's too late now

Terribad idea? And both stupid and inapplicable at that, unless you're into inhumane stuff such as forced abortions/sterilization, infanticides/murder of babies and undocumented children.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    You mean out of dense urban areas into rural areas or what? The stats seem to indicate that countries level off at around 85% urbanization but there will always need to be some minimum amount of rural population in order to service all the rural industries.

IMO, people should just go wherever they want. (As long as it's legal)
    The current trend it towards more urbanization and centralization anyway : in several developed countries there is an ongoing marked decline of the suburban model and countryside, particularly in those with declining populations (eg : Japan), not only is the countryside being sucked dry of youth, but peripheral towns and cities are also declining in favor of The Big City, unless they can be made into viable, attractive "suburbs" with massive infrastructure projects like high speed rail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    The best way to deal with overpopulation is by education and providing birth control. I cant believe that people in poorer countries that can barely afford food for themselves have 9 kids on purpose. If there was a limit then what would you do if there WAS another kid? Force the mother to kill their child? Put the father on jail?
    The thing is, in the classical scheme of things in agrarian societies, numerous children are not a burden but a ressource : non mechanized farming is very labor intensive, and there is no cheaper labor than your own children. Plus you would need as many as possible to care for you in old age.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

7+ Year Old Account
    You are either a Russian troll account or a truly despicable human.

There is only one proper answer, and it is to empower women who live in the third world, religious nations and places like Russia where they are beaten and treated worse than a dog.

They should receive a proper education, knowledge and rights to birth control. Anyone trying to control women through religion or "culture" should be removed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Lead by example if you think humanity is a plague.
    Isn't there some place in the middle where you can meet and agree that animals are suffering and going extinct because of us?
    You dont have to hate humanity to admit we are flawed and are causing harm to other species.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure. But any other species on Earth would do exactly the same thing to other species if they could. Pretending that humanity is somehow different or especially immoral or bad is foolish.

We should strive to protect biological diversity in our environment because it benefits us in the long run.
    I agree, and we should strive to be better than we are , especially how we have treated our planet.

People don't see to take overpopulation very seriously and it's worrying. Even the climate fighters think that overpopulation isn't a big deal. All you need to do is perform a simple thought experiment in order to understand the gravity of it all...

1 Baby... how many tons of carbon will this human produce over the course of his life? How many chemicals will be poured down the drain by him? How much money will he leech off the system, because his college education is worthless?

It all adds up

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Here's a hint: farms used to be forests too.
    yes but not all forest is on flat land.

And also, hydroponics exists and requires no soil at all
    soil isn't the problem, labor is.

you can get incredible yields for mixed crop fields, but that kind of field ins't very suited for large farming machines. same for non flat land. giant machines often also destroy the plant, and pick all product, instead of only the ones at optimal ripeness. etc. paying a lot of people to do the work manually isn't economically viable for most products.

but developments in automation/AI could solve this in a few decades and then you could start seeing some interesting things happen.

and after that: the ultimate dream for farming is for electricity to become cheap enough to grow food with artificial light on large scales, then everybody can literally have a automated farm in their basement that provides enough fresh food for their household every day.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-02-17 at 10:54 AM.

So as a liberal you're ok with eugenics and forced sterilization of the poor.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Lead by example if you think humanity is a plague.
    We are. I don't plan on having any kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Because it creates unrest in your population and it leads to a generation of people that are rather unhappy, meaning they will be more likely to take your head with the next revolution.
    im pretty sure that being left to starve still cause unhappiness and revolutions, so that isnt a real problem

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    People don't see to take overpopulation very seriously and it's worrying. Even the climate fighters think that overpopulation isn't a big deal. All you need to do is perform a simple thought experiment in order to understand the gravity of it all...

1 Baby... how many tons of carbon will this human produce over the course of his life? How many chemicals will be poured down the drain by him? How much money will he leech off the system, because his college education is worthless?

It all adds up
    Because the problem of overpopulation is being overstated by a small group of @@@ and trolls who's only solution is either kill half the population (thanos route), sterilize everybody (based on specific usually ethic background) or reduce childbirth (worked so well for china).

Fact is we don't have a population problem and majority of the issues will and can be fixed over time. For example if you want to fix climate change then the issue is not population but more pollution caused by countries like US, China and India.

Coming back to the solution part. Maybe if the solution was actual a solution you could have a discussion, instead the ''solutions'' provided are borderline crazy with an proven failed record.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    80% of the planets landmass is used for agraculture to provide for food or food for animals we eat. I call that overpopulation.
    lmao stop making up statistics.

10+ Year Old Account
    specific combination of genes that produced you, a person capable of making the decision to sacrifice your own genetic line
    No, I don't think gretinism is a genetic disease, you get infected with one by media

Then the specific combination of genes that produced you, a person capable of making the decision to sacrifice your own genetic line in favor of the environment, will die out with you, leaving more resources to those with the genetic combination to not care about the environment and who will have more children who then in turn will have even more children.
    Yeeeeah, that's absolutely nothing to do with Society/Culture and how things are Governed with self interest and corruption by officials...
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-02-17 at 01:10 PM.