Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharill View Post
    So Blizzard and Activision didn't defend the oppression of Hong Kong protestors then?
    They didn't defending anything. They enforced a pre-existing rule that existed with out controversy for years. People like you can't accept that it has nothing to do with the what the message is about but everything to do with simply saying the message. Most corporations are morally corrupt. Because they are not people but a corporation and business is business.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    They didn't defending anything. They enforced a pre-existing rule that existed with out controversy for years. People like you can't accept that it has nothing to do with the what the message is about but everything to do with simply saying the message. Most corporations are morally corrupt. Because they are not people but a corporation and business is business.
    I mean they did but you keep telling yourself whatever made up shit's in your head.

Like the other 2 don't respond to me thanks.

I mean they did but you keep telling yourself whatever made up shit's in your head.

Like the other 2 don't respond to me thanks.

Obviously a SJW troll.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean they did but you keep telling yourself whatever made up shit's in your head. Like the other 2 don't respond to me thanks.
    Blizzard themselves did not. A company that operates for them in China added a message on which they tend to do because China is China. The rule about political messages existed in the rules. It is a rule that doesn't care about the message but simply saying the message in the first place. If you don't want people to respond to you then stop responding to them.

That is how conversations and discussions work. One person says something. The other says something back. If you want a monologue then stick to a blog or something.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I think he'd have made a great extra in "The Men Who Stare at Goats", as a part of Jeff Bridges' collective.

[[snip]]
    I went to research the dates, but its difficult to find via google as they're now flooded with alternate stories relating to Titan/Destiny.

However, I distinctly remember the announcement trailer of Destiny being the same week (or thereabout) as the announcement that Titan was canceled. I remember that distinctly as my group of friends that meets up bi-weekly discussed how the two clearly seemed to be linked due purely how close the timing was.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Before working for Blizzard, Brack's big job was being a producer for Star Wars Galaxies, during a time period where many players felt that the game's quality started to go downhill. But aside from game decisions... The guy isn't exactly a great public speaker, and at times even appears to belittle the audience "You think you do, but you don't." Him looking like a music store worker doesn't help matters.

And with all that... Blizz has been in a sea of controversy over the past year, with Blitzchung and Warcraft 3 reforged being at the heart of it. Brack's apologies have been... underwhelming, to say the least. So what did Morhaime or anyone else see in this guy to be president of Blizzard?
    Not terribly hard to understand. Activision cares about exactly one thing: $. Brack is only known for his ability to cutback and save money, usually while producing crap. He is basically the guy they call in when an MMO is on its way out but they still want to milk it for a few more years with bare minimum investment.

If you truly look at it... of the old school Blizzard very few are left. They where calling the shots until very recently but then you start seeing Chris Metzen leaving, Mike Morhaime... and many others that where there since the beginning. Think atm Jeff kaplan is one of the few still holding the boat but I wouldn't be surprised if we see him leaving too.. And where's Samwise Didier? the guy pratically disappeared from public Blizzard. There where all very passionate Blizzard people and all we have now is the likes of ppl like JAB. Back when Activision merged with Blizzard I truly thought things wouldn't get bad. I had a ray of hope once Bobby bought them out of Vivendi. But that just turned Blizzard into Activisions slave in case the money does not keep pouring in. And that's why Activision probably pushed Mike out and put JAB in his spot as a Yes man to them.

I wish old school blizz, Mike, Frank, Chris would get together and bought Blizzard out of Activision like Bungie did. That would be the only chance of actually having Blizzard back but I truly don't see that hapenning anytime soon...

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well I would assume he was appointed but what the fuck do I know.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    I went to research the dates, but its difficult to find via google as they're now flooded with alternate stories relating to Titan/Destiny.

However, I distinctly remember the announcement trailer of Destiny being the same week (or thereabout) as the announcement that Titan was canceled. I remember that distinctly as my group of friends that meets up bi-weekly discussed how the two clearly seemed to be linked due purely how close the timing was.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_...nment_project)

"On May 28, 2013, it was reported that development on the project had been rebooted"
    "On September 23, 2014, Morhaime revealed in an interview with Polygon that production of Titan had been cancelled"
    "While Blizzard publicly stated that Titan had been delayed in May 2013 as they refocused its development,[1] the game had already been canceled internally. Of the 140 members on the Titan team, only 40 were kept in a group to develop a new intellectual property, while the others were transitioned into other departments within Blizzard"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destin...e)#Development

"Development for Destiny began at Bungie in 2010 under the code name "Project Tiger", shortly after the release of Halo: Reach.[36][37] This coincided with the announcement of a 10-year publishing agreement with Activision Blizzard.[38][39] Under Bungie's agreement with Activision, new intellectual property developed by Bungie will be owned by Bungie, not Activision, in a deal similar to the EA Partners Program."

"Destiny's official unveiling occurred at the PlayStation 4 announcement event on February 20, 2013."

"Destiny was released worldwide on September 9, 2014 for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One"

Titan was not canceled because of Destiny and Activision Blizzard not wanting two of their games competing against each other. They were both being developed at the same time. One made it to release and one was scrapped and turned into Overwatch. Titan was not forced to change because people were worried that Destiny wouldn't perform. Not to mention Activision released Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in November of 2014. It would be potentially competing with Destiny even though it is a FPS and not a looter shooter world.

Morhaime also commented about it after he left Blizzard. Stating that turning Titan into Overwatch was one of the best decisions that Blizzard has made.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    This post feels like a jab at a person knowing only surface level knowledge and fueled by heavy bias. It adds nothing new and parrots past controversies for the sake of argument. Blizzard has made mistakes that are worth discussing, sure. But couldn't the post have been written more constructively? The point of discussion is to better the community and find solutions, not belittle and vent at others' expense.
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" ~Einstein
    Wish more people would take that to heart.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackwiss View Post
    I wish old school blizz, Mike, Frank, Chris would get together and bought Blizzard out of Activision like Bungie did. That would be the only chance of actually having Blizzard back but I truly don't see that hapenning anytime soon...
    Bungie didn't buy themselves out and were never owned by Activision. They had a contract that was ending which they didn't renew. Blizzard is wholly owned and would take a lot to buy out. The people you want to get together and "save" Blizzard were also perfectly fine with selling out to a parent company. People need to quit romanticizing the people that already sold the company out long ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Not terribly hard to understand. Activision cares about exactly one thing: $. Brack is only known for his ability to cutback and save money, usually while producing crap. He is basically the guy they call in when an MMO is on its way out but they still want to milk it for a few more years with bare minimum investment.
    Brack was hired by Blizzard in 2005 and started with the company in January of 2006. He was hired then as a senior producer for World of Warcraft and did a significant amount of production work on Burning Crusade. So, no. Everything quoted there is wrong unless you want to discuss why Blizzard started to cut back in 2006 before BC was out and exactly why you imagine in your head that Blizzard thought WoW was "on its way out."
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-02-16 at 07:25 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Before working for Blizzard, Brack's big job was being a producer for Star Wars Galaxies, during a time period where many players felt that the game's quality started to go downhill. But aside from game decisions... The guy isn't exactly a great public speaker, and at times even appears to belittle the audience "You think you do, but you don't." Him looking like a music store worker doesn't help matters.

And with all that... Blizz has been in a sea of controversy over the past year, with Blitzchung and Warcraft 3 reforged being at the heart of it. Brack's apologies have been... underwhelming, to say the least. So what did Morhaime or anyone else see in this guy to be president of Blizzard?
    He went to Blizzard in 2005, the Jump the Shark moment for SWG was Jump to Lightspeed which was released in October of 2004, and even though it was the moment that changed SWG from an Open Sandbox Star Wars Simulator with a Raid Game to an Actual good RPG with Flight Simulator, it was disliked because it changed the game, it however did not hurt the game. If anything it's what turned the Game from a small community into one of the larger MMOs, well until WOW sank all the early MMOs in 2007.

Honestly J Allen Brack has done a good Job at Blizzard, the problems we have with today's Blizzard has everything to do with Activision being a lesser evil trying to follow EA's Greater Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Kennedy's track record is based on working on movies with Steven Spielberg and her husband's company. She might be really good at being a president, running all the departments and such, but she has little to no track record as a creative professional, hiring directors and other leads and approving scripts and such. Her track record with directors speaks volumes to that. "Producer" can mean a lot of things in the movie world, and she was working with people who were not relying on her for creative input.
    I won't touch on why she's still there, as I don't know. But to say she's the right fit to be making creative decisions - nope. Not gonna let that one stand at all. The performance of Lucasfilm since she took over points towards her not being the right person - or taking on too many roles she's not cut out for.
    Okay, just an excerpt from her Wikipedia page:
    “Kennedy has participated in the making of over 60 films that garnered 8 Academy Award nominations[4] and over $11 billion worldwide, including three of the highest-grossing films in motion picture history.[5] Kennedy is third only to Kevin Feige and Steven Spielberg in domestic box office receipts, with over $7 billion as of October 2019.[6]”

So, again, as to people asking how she became president and has held on to that position since, her history probably plays a big part.
    You also glossed over the other points of my post where she is also executive producer to The Mandalorian, a series people love and use as a reason to get rid of her (if they only knew), as well as Rogue One. She also has a history of producing and making tons of money from her movies than losses.
    The original response was to someone stating they don’t know how she got/keeps her job. Her history, and the fact Star Wars is still making money. Hell, even The Last Jedi, which most people disliked (anecdotal from reviews), still earned 1.3 billion.
    I personally haven’t really enjoyed episodes 7-9, as o think JJ just rehashes old movies and banks off of nostalgia, and Rian has too many plot lines that went nowhere or had no impact when they did. That is more on the directors than Kennedy, but I recognize she still has a hand in it.
    So, please do some research before you state she’s bad for the position. There’s a reason she has the position, and while I might not like how some, some, of the Star Wars media has been handled, she is still making money and, most importantly, doing things people like.

Blizzard sold out long before Activision. Also one of the co-founders of Blizzard is still involved with the company. It is crazy the amount of things people over look or invent in order to hate on corporations or Blizzard. They do enough where things don't need to be fabricated.

- - - Updated - - -

That doesn't make sense. Blizzard canceled Titan internally in 2013 and announced it "publicly" in 2014. Activision signed a deal with Bungie in 2010/2011 (I have seen articles say both 8 year and 10 year length). You don't wait 2-3 years to cancel a game from your other studio just because you are afraid of competition. The months for announcements about Destiny and Titan do not match up either.
    I love how you go: Yes, they did that but not all of them, so you're fabricating it. xD

I figured that this new Jim Sterling video describes well why I wouldn't trust Brack with anything:

10+ Year Old Account

Wait what, Brack is responsible for the NGE?

Is he stalking me and ruining any MMO I like?

Jab: "I'm the one who makes decisions here!"
    kotick: "You think you do, but you don't!"
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©