Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It got reviewbombed way harder than it deserved. 0.5/10 sounds like it's unplayable garbage, not an underwhelming game.

Does it deserve 10/10? Nah. But even taking into account that it's just a lazy refresh, it's still a decently competent game from what I've seen.

- - - Updated - - -

It's been scored by 45k people. That's some decent pull that guy has.
    Takes 1 minute to do that with a botnet

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    When a company does something to copies of an 18 year old game to the extent that the workaround essentially is "torrent an old copy and apply a crack for a previous game version of a game you legally bought", that absolutely deserves a 0/10.

Blizzard could have left the client for old WC3 as it was, and just shut off the matchmaking servers for it, if they didn't want to continue supporting that, and released a separate client for reforged, but they didn't do that.
    Do you really think that people would have taken that any better? Now they can't play online?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Do you really think that people would have taken that any better? Now they can't play online?
    Can't is a bit of a stretch there. Servers for old games frequently go offline, that's not anything that can't be dealt with through unofficial means.

It would absolutely have caused less outrage not fucking with core functionality of the client itself of people who didn't even buy Reforged, and forcing a 27GB install on them no less.
    Last edited by zealo; 2020-02-16 at 09:45 PM.

Can't is a bit of a stretch there. Servers for old games frequently go offline, that's not anything that can't be dealt with through unofficial means.

It would absolutely have caused less outrage not fucking with core functionality of the client itself of people who didn't even buy Reforged, and forcing a 27GB install on them no less.
    The game plays, they didn't "fuck with the core functionality" they broke some custom map shit, which can happen in any update ever. It would be much worse if people suddenly couldn't play online because Reforged was released. "Pay for online" would have gone over like spoiled milk.

Are you trying to tell me Starcraft Remastered deserves a high score based purely off it's remastered additions?
    I don't, but we aren't talking about that. Plus, that wasn't as bad as it didn't ruin StarCraft with its downgrades.

Not to mention that nobody played StarCraft, while Warcraft 3 was fully functional and still had a bit of a playerbase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Like I said, I don't own the remaster game, and never did, so I cannot give an accurate score about the game.

With that said, I would never rate it a zero, unless it actually does not even load up on my computer, has glitches that constantly fuck up my save files, or causes severe crashes that force me to reboot my computer.
    Ok. I'll be honest, I wouldn't rate WC3:RF 0/10 in a vacuum, probably somewhere around 3/10-4/10, but the fact that it made WC3 a lot worse by launching, plus the fact that their new ToS is scummy (that as far as I know applies to both games), makes it a 0/10 until those issues are fixed, which they likely won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    How about by giving an honest opinion and give the game a fair score? I've literally said that, repeatedly, over my posts.

By the way: if you think Blizzard does not care about customer feedback, why do you think they would care about the Metacritic score?
    Yes, we saw the reaction already - "we are sorry you did not get the experience you wanted". Not we fucked up, we will fix it, but a blame shift to the players. It is US who are wrong because we had foolish expectations and totally not the false advertising and shitload of bugs plus fucking up the game for those who did not buy Reforged.

So I guess Blizzard actually does not care, unless it hurts their wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I don't, but we aren't talking about that. Plus, that wasn't as bad as it didn't ruin StarCraft with its downgrades.

Not to mention that nobody played StarCraft, while Warcraft 3 was fully functional and still had a bit of a playerbase.
    WCIII isn't "ruined" either, it's still a functional game. But saying nobody played SC is hyperbole, many people still played it, maybe not AS many as WCIII (which was probably small as well, i mean come one, it's an 18 year old game) but still far from nobody.

7+ Year Old Account

No. They didn't just turn the online off. They "updated" the client to a completely different one, that REMOVED FEATURES (I'm talking graphical/game features here, NOT just the online stuff), and dramatically increased the system requirements. At least one person had an old computer that can't run the new client (but ran the original WC3, you know the one they paid for, just fine), and they were told by Blizzard CS: "Too bad you can't play the game that worked yesterday, so sad, you can play it when you buy a new computer." IF all they did was disable battle.net for the old version but otherwise left it alone, it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

The fact that it is possible to get around this by being tech savvy, installing an old version, looking up old patches on mirror sites, and not allowing it to update to the "current" version is a side effect, that is NOT intended by Blizzard. There is even a way to do online with the old version with a third party tool called PVPGN, but again, that is not intended to be possible by Blizzard.

It takes a special kind of incompetence to ruin the experience of people *who didn't even buy the product*.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    No. They didn't just turn the online off. They "updated" the client to a completely different one, that REMOVED FEATURES (I'm talking graphical/game features here, NOT just the online stuff), and dramatically increased the system requirements. At least one person had an old computer that can't run the new client (but ran the original WC3, you know the one they paid for, just fine), and they were told by Blizzard CS: "Too bad you can't play the game that worked yesterday, so sad, you can play it when you buy a new computer." IF all they did was disable battle.net for the old version but otherwise left it alone, it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

The fact that it is possible to get around this by being tech savvy, installing an old version, looking up old patches on mirror sites, and not allowing it to update to the "current" version is a side effect, that is NOT intended by Blizzard. There is even a way to do online with the old version with a third party tool called PVPGN, but again, that is not intended to be possible by Blizzard.

It takes a special kind of incompetence to ruin the experience of people *who didn't even buy the product*.
    Games update, it happens, big whoop.

Btw the system requirements for even REFORGED are so low that if you really do have a friend who can't run the old game anymore (which I doubt), they need to put that old ass computer out of it's misery.

What, did no one ever put Superman 64 up for rating? Blah.

I'm going with how grubby said it.

It was a 3 on launch because of bugs and missing features
    then 4 once they fixed the server issues
    and 5 after some of the bugs

its hated cause it should have been a 9, but blizzard fucked it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    As customers we are probably not doing any favors in deliberately ruining a rating system that can and should have been used to give us a reasonable representation of the quality of a product, in order to help us decide whether to buy it or not and what to realistically except.
    IMO the people giving it 0 are justified if they were people with no interest in Reforged who had it forced upon them when they tried to play the original version. That's a super dick move.

Games update, it happens, big whoop.

Btw the system requirements for even REFORGED are so low that if you really do have a friend who can't run the old game anymore (which I doubt), they need to put that old ass computer out of it's misery.
    Tell me, how you can manage to update a game from 2002-2003 to not run in 2020? And then preposterously say to the player that he should get a new PC.
    Not fix their shit, but get a new PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Tell me, how you can manage to update a game from 2002-2003 to not run in 2020? And then preposterously say to the player that he should get a new PC.
    Not fix their shit, but get a new PC?
    The minimum specs is shit from 10 years ago, and generally people can get things to run well below minimum specs. So yea, it is time to put that thing out of it's misery.

Overall the engine got updated, it happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    The minimum specs is shit from 10 years ago, and generally people can get things to run well below minimum specs. So yea, it is time to put that thing out of it's misery.

Overall the engine got updated, it happens.
    So should all old games be "put out of their misery"?

Should Nintendo go around with a bat smashing every NES and game cartridge they find?

Because that's what you're defending when trying to justify removing the ability to play the old CD based version of the game. W3 doesn't need to be online to play it, this isn't some 'live-service' nonsense.

Blizzard had 0 need to invalidate the old version, they could have left it well enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    So should all old games be "put out of their misery"?

Should Nintendo go around with a bat smashing every NES and game cartridge they find?

Because that's what you're defending when trying to justify removing the ability to play the old CD based version of the game. W3 doesn't need to be online to play it, this isn't some 'live-service' nonsense.

Blizzard had 0 need to invalidate the old version, they could have left it well enough alone.
    It had to be updated for crossplay with Reforged. Could they have added a popup that said "do you want to update? Failure to update will disable online play"? Sure, but they're not obligated to, they are within their rights to updated the game as they see fit.

Consoles aren't the same, they're a physical piece of equipment that never changes, an NES now is similar to an NES in 86. PCs and PC games evolve constantly, you're not going to "update an NES game" like you will a PC game. Even SC received updates when Remastered was released, but due to the more... simple nature of that game and the limited remastering, nothing really changed with specs.

Would you prefer they just shut down the servers for WC3 for everyone and make you pay for Online?

10+ Year Old Account
    It had to be updated for crossplay with Reforged.
    No. It didn't.

Either keep the MP servers separate, or release a statement saying "hey look, going forward we're only maintaining MP for Reforged, sorry about any inconveniences".

Plenty of games have done this before.

- - - Updated - - -

Consoles aren't the same, they're a physical piece of equipment that never changes, an NES now is similar to an NES in 86. PCs and PC games evolve constantly, you're not going to "update an NES game" like you will a PC game. Even SC received updates when Remastered was released, but due to the more... simple nature of that game and the limited remastering, nothing really changed with specs.
    Oh?? A physical medium you say?

Like, the original W3 CDs are? Whoa. Crazy right?

Oh guess what BTW, my old Age of Empires 2 CDs still work and can be played just fine, even though the game has been remastered twice. Strange how the world works.

No. It didn't.

Either keep the MP servers separate, or release a statement saying "hey look, going forward we're only maintaining MP for Reforged, sorry about any inconveniences".

- - - Updated - - -

Oh guess what BTW, my old Age of Empires 2 CDs still work and can be played just fine, even though the game has been remastered twice. Strange how the world works.
    CDs are not a physical system, they are a snapshot of a game at the current time.

And Blizzard chose a different route then AoE did, they wanted crossplay between WCIII owners and Reforged owners. Like I said, they could have offered an option, update or no online, but they didn't have to, and they didn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    CDs are not a physical system, they are a snapshot of a game at the current time.
    I'm at a loss of words to put into writing how ignorant this is.

Like, do you not remember a time where everything wasn't online? There is no difference between a game put on a floppy, a cartridge or a CD, other than storage capacity.

Your mental gymnastics to defend an unnecessary removal of previously available software is fascinating.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. It didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

You can also still play the original one online via unofficial services such as voobly and gameranger, even though the official service for that version has been shut down for years.

There's no sane justifiable reason for what Blizzard did here.