Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by themaster24 View Post
    Oh ya, IMO, nothing has meant anything in Classic. At least for me, I'm sure it's because I've been there and done that, and we're armed with more knowledge than we could have dreamed of back when it was all fresh.

The only thing I'm curious about regarding Classic is seeing just how long it will take for Naxx to be cleared. Now that every guild will know EXACTLY what they will need (MC's for General, Tanks for 4 Horsemen, etc), we likely won't see the massive struggle that we did when it first launched. We might still see the poaching though, so I'm interested to see how it plays out.
    origonaly id have said 2 weeks to clear nax.....

then i saw how easy this shit was im not convinced it will take more than a couple hrs mostly taken up traveling to each boss in the raid. i hate classic with a passion which is why i gank and greif on it, and i hate it because its made the memory of vanilla a laughing stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Items are prestigious, not the individual with it... how stupid are you trolls?
    prestige
    /prɛˈstiː(d)ʒ/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    noun: prestige

widespread respect and admiration felt for someone or something on the basis of a perception of their achievements or quality.

if something takes no skill, only luck its not an achievement worth any prestige. its a basic premise.

The item is prestigious you dolt, not the individual.
    Prestige relates to the individual, you dolt. A trophy can be considered prestigious if it signifies an achievement that people respect and/or admire. That means nothing if it doesn’t represent individual achievement.

Rarity and desirability are the words you’re looking for if you only want to describe an item separate from the perception that’s entailed with individuals who possess it. Ironfoe may be rare and desirable, but if acquiring it relies on nothing but luck then what is admirable about that?
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2020-02-17 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Prestige relates to the individual, you dolt. A trophy can be considered prestigious if it signifies an achievement that people respect and/or admire. That means nothing if it doesn’t represent individual achievement.

Rarity and desirability are the words you’re looking for if you only want to describe an item separate from the perception that’s entailed with individuals who possess it.
    Are you guys aware that words can have multiple meanings? Prestigious can also mean, "having high status". A rare and sought after item can be perceived as prestigious OR as a status symbol. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Are you guys aware that words can have multiple meanings? Prestigious can also mean, "having high status". A rare and sought after item can be perceived as prestigious OR as a status symbol. Stop embarrassing yourself.
    I could be wrong, but i believe what people are trying to explain is that if the only factor for receiving the item is luck, and not skill, does it lose any of its prestige? Winning a jackpot on a scratchy card, is that prestigious? Or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I could be wrong, but i believe what people are trying to explain is that if the only factor for receiving the item is luck, and not skill, does it lose any of its prestige? Winning a jackpot on a scratchy card, is that prestigious? Or just lucky?
    Now youre talking about extents. If something can lose prestige, it must have prestige to begin with. If a ferrari is prestigious, having it gifted to you may be less prestigious, possibly, but still prestigious none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    If you open a basketball card pack from 30+ years ago and find a rookie Michael jordan card, that’s both lucky and prestigious

Prestige can be earned, given, or lucked into

If you inherit an empire without working a day in your life, it doesn’t cheapen the prestige of it

If you are given a Ferrari or mansion without earning it; it’s still just as prestigious

What you guys are thinking of is RESPECT, not prestige. respect is earned, prestige can be you just picking up a rare and valuable penny off the ground

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    If you open a basketball card pack from 30+ years ago and find a rookie Michael jordan card, that’s both lucky and prestigious

If you inherit an empire without working a day in your life, it doesn’t cheapen the prestige of it

If you are given a Ferrari or mansion without earning it; it’s still just as prestigious
    I wonder how theyll move the goal posts next?

Having it is prestigious. Having a ferrari is prestigious, even if its gifted to you. The manner in which one is obtained is irrelevant, if its rare and sought after.
    Na. If I learn your Ferrari was given to you or that it's your dad's, I'll think you're a self-important poser. Similarly I couldn't give two shits about "prestige" that is glorified Titanforging. I'll be slightly more impressed by someone with the MoP CM armor, and a lot more impressed by someone with a Famed Slayer title or the Mythic ToV armor back when current. Because it means they actually earned that shit.

You seem to be the one having difficulty with language here. Ironfoe is rare, that’s a quantifiable fact. It has good stats so it’s desirable to certain players. However, it has no prestige or “status” because it is an RNG drop from a non-raid instance. It’s not that complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Na. If I learn your Ferrari was given to you or that it's your dad's, I'll think you're a self-important poser. Similarly I couldn't give two shits about "prestige" that is glorified Titanforging. I'll be slightly more impressed by someone with the MoP CM armor, and a lot more impressed by someone with a Famed Slayer title or the Mythic ToV armor back when current. Because it means they actually earned that shit.
    Your anecdotal evidence and personal bias are duly noted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    However, it has no prestige or “status” because it is an RNG drop from a non-raid instance. It’s not that complicated.
    At this point, its just your opinion.. and prestige requires opinion, but just because you say it doesnt make it so. No one cares if you dont like ferraris.. People perceive it as prestigious, regardless of your feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can the people playing classic please stop bragging about classic?

It's getting insufferable.

Just play what the fuck you want and stop being so condescending about retail.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Can the people playing classic please stop bragging about classic?

It's getting insufferable.

Just play what the fuck you want and stop being so condescending about retail.
    That’s a two way street

it would need to symbolize a status to be a status symbol. getting a rare drop from an easy 5man is not indicative of any status other than luck.

What you guys are thinking of is RESPECT, not prestige. respect is earned, prestige can be you just picking up a rare and valuable penny off the ground
    I would STRONGLY argue that there is nothing prestigious about opening a rare card. Prestige, by definition refers to a perception of quality and/or respect. The card may be rare or expensive, but it’s quality is no different than that of any other card in the pack and there is no reason to respect someone for being lucky enough to open it.

Prestige is related to achievements that take skill or are set apart by the quality of their components/creation. A sports trophy might impart prestige if it’s associated with a high level of skill. A Ferrari might be considered prestigious on the merits of its quality (though owning one just means you have money). Inheriting a fortune doesn’t impart prestige because it doesn’t mean anything in and of itself and it doesn’t speak to the quality of individual Or whether they’re worthy of respect.

Rarity alone doesn’t impart prestige.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2020-02-18 at 12:15 AM.

Your anecdotal evidence and personal bias are duly noted.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point, its just your opinion.. and prestige requires opinion, but just because you say it doesnt make it so. No one cares if you dont like ferraris.. People perceive it as prestigious, regardless of your feelings.
    because owning one of those cars indicates you have power, wealth and influence. owning iron foe indicate you spend way to much time on a game with no future and you got lucky.

Your anecdotal evidence and personal bias is duly noted.
    This entire thread is only that, so I feel like I'm in welcome company.

your confusing jealousy with admiration and prestige. its a comically common error of people with inflated ego's. but it is the error your making. they want the item, you they care little for.

Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    Since Classic was released, we have seen a drop in players in US, but not to the extend people were expecting. Our server is thriving so much that when Ony head is about to be dropped, the lag in Org feels like they are about to crash the server, as much as a 30sec to 1min delay.

The big ticket proof that Classic is more popular is Blizzard's advertisement to get new players to WoW. Blizzard isn't trying to pull new players touting retail WoW, but using Classic as a selling point for new players to subscribe. Currently in the US, Blizzard is offering 50% to new players for Classic. As we all know, classic is tied to the retail subscription, which in essence means that new players are getting BFA for 50% off. But the specific wording is "World of Warcraft: Classic".

TLDR: Blizzard is advertising for new players, using Classic WoW, proving Classic WoW is more popular.
    Or it's failing and that's why they're offering the 50% discount for Classic.

TLDR: OP makes shit up because doesn't have clue.

He is wrong to say it's comparable to mythic N'zoth (more like heroic), BUT that comparison of yours is also extremely disingenuous. Imagine if the top raiding guilds had years of practice on Mythic N'zoth, or even months, before it released. It would die opening night every time. Blizz doesn't test mythic raids for exactly that reason as a matter of fact.
    While I don't doubt that some people in those raids may have participated in pirate servers, I doubt the majority of them, or even all of them, as you seem to imply, did.

the guilds clearing BWL that fast have been doing it as a group for years.
    I wouldn't be so certain of that. You cannot prove that all those people are those who played on pirate servers for years.

Because you don't just win them in raffles. Obtaining one generally takes effort and suggests certain things about the owner. This is also why the way you acquired it affects the prestige; it diminishes the achievement of having done so if you just lent it from someone or had it randomly gifted to you.

And prestige doesn't simply require opinion. Prestige ultimately is opinion. Specificially, the (positive) opinion people have of a person or achievement.