Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohut View Post
    That's not true. BWL is comparable in difficulty to Mythic Nyalotha and considering how many guilds already cleared the only logical conclusion is that all the best guilds quit retail and moved over to Classic when that came out.
    This makes sense. BWL is classics version of mythic raiding. It seems as though over 40000 people have cleared it. It makes sense that all of the best players have moved to classic but I would suggest that maybe a few of the good guilds left in retail prob also play classic too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Because you don't just win them in raffles. Obtaining one generally takes effort and suggests certain things about the owner. This is also why the way you acquired it affects the prestige; it diminishes the achievement of having done so if you just lent it from someone or had it randomly gifted to you.

And prestige doesn't simply require opinion. Prestige ultimately is opinion. Specificially, the (positive) opinion people have of a person or achievement.
    Yeh generally people dont win the lottery, but thats not always the case and it doesnt mean that a 10 million dollar mansion isnt prestigious, because its bought with lottery earnings..

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    You’re talking about how it should be, not how it is.

It took luck to get Thunderfury. But anyone who had it was considered prett prestigious.
    Because the item itself is prestigious <3 This guy gets it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Your anecdotal evidence and personal bias are duly noted.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point, its just your opinion.. and prestige requires opinion, but just because you say it doesnt make it so. No one cares if you dont like ferraris.. People perceive it as prestigious, regardless of your feelings.
    I dont see someone driving their gifted Ferrari, or won in a lottery, and think "oh wow, how prestigious". I think "oh wow, how lucky!"

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I dont see someone driving their gifted Ferrari, or won in a lottery, and think "oh wow, how prestigious". I think "oh wow, how lucky!"
    Except you dont "see" someone driving a ferrari and know they won the lottery.. lmao. Do you think lottery winners put stickers on their ferraris telling you they won the lottery?
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2020-02-18 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I would STRONGLY argue that there is nothing prestigious about opening a rare card. Prestige, by definition refers to a perception of quality and/or respect. The card may be rare or expensive, but it’s quality is no different than that of any other card in the pack and there is no reason to respect someone for being lucky enough to open it.

Prestige is related to achievements that take skill or are set apart by the quality of their components/creation. A sports trophy might impart prestige if it’s associated with a high level of skill. A Ferrari might be considered prestigious on the merits of its quality (though owning one just means you have money). Inheriting a fortune doesn’t impart prestige because it doesn’t mean anything in and of itself and it doesn’t speak to the quality of individual Or whether they’re worthy of respect.

Rarity alone doesn’t impart prestige.
    Those cards sell for like, 1 million dollars don’t they? I’d call that pretty prestigious for some dumb rng trading cards.

Anything can have prestige and value

- - - Updated - - -

Except you dont "see" someone driving a ferrari, won the lottery.. lmao. Do you think lottery winners put stickers on their ferraris telling you they won them with the lottery?
    For arguments sake, let’s say they slap a big old “daddy bought this” or “lottery bought this” on the back of your new Lambo or Ferrari

You know how you know it’s still prestigious? Because your friends and ladies and strangers would line up to just ride in it

The idea that you can’t luck, inherit, or just find something prestigious is laughable

They are mistaking prestige, with respect. Prestige can be given, but respect has to be earned

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    For arguments sake, let’s say they slap a big old “daddy bought this” or “lottery bought this” on the back of your new Lambo or Ferrari

You know how you know it’s still prestigious? Because your friends and ladies and strangers would line up to just ride in it

The idea that you can’t luck, inherit, or just find something prestigious is laughable

They are mistaking prestige, with respect. Prestige can be given, but respect has to be earned
    I suspect youre right. They collectively dont seem very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post

It took luck to get Thunderfury. But anyone who had it was considered prett prestigious.

- - - Updated - - -

key word there. that was the time before classic made vanilla look like a complete joke. nothing easily earned and earned entirely by look has any prestige to it.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    What you described, takes zero skill at all. Literally a warm body pushing buttons. You with that type of logic would never clear Heroic or Mythic. Ever. LFR was made to cater to the most casual of casuals. And it does that perfectly, and I love it for doing so. When school/work was rough, I didn't have time to raid at the hardcore end game, but LFR was there to still help me see the content.

Different is, in BFA there is content that is challenging if you seek it out and want to be challenged. There is not in classic.
    That's exactly what I said
    I used to do semi-hardcore raiding, 100-150 world guild. Did that for around 6-7 years before Legion came and broke me, I just can't get on board with the forced AP grinds, world quest grinds, mythic + grind for chance of random gear being an upgrade.
    Realm communities being dead? ...okay I can always be happy with my guild of almost a decade.
    Flying and traveling in the world being trivial? ...okay it's not like world pvp is a thing anyways.
    But being forced to grind content you have zero interest in doing for hours and hours every single day before you can raid? ...that's what made me quit modern WoW.

Don't get me wrong, if you like this forced grinding in order to raid then go for it. I'm happy for you!
    But for a lot of people those things are extremely bad, which is part of the reason why Classic is so popular- even if the gameplay is (honestly) quite shit.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

again your confusing jealousy with prestige. its a mistake people with false ego's make and makes them very easy to take advantage of

Another example: how often do you see stories of people going through their dead parents, grandparents stuff after they die only to find X rare and expensive item that oozes prestige.

Classic cars are practically built on the concept of prestige and exclusivity

Another example: how often do you see stories of people going through their dead parents, grandparents stuff after they die only to find X rare and expensive item that oozes prestige.

You guys are STARTING to get there. If a Ferrari cost $2,000 would it still be prestigious? Again, that person is just lucky - nothing more.

Side note - i have never once in my life had anyone queue up to go for a ride in my car, what an absolutely ridiculous statement (not you i realize).

the irony being you two are the ones ignoring the dictionary definition of the word to find prestige where there is non. bragging about an item that has no prestige and thus bringing ignominy on you selves for our entertainment at your expense.

like two people trying to convince them selves what they have isn't fools gold.

it is not prestige you have but praestigium
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-02-18 at 01:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Can I take a second to appreciate how this thread has literally devolved into "come at me bro" in the last two pages?

Thanks. Continue.
    Kinda happens when the Classic zealots use anything as "proof" that Classic is dominating Live...you don't see all of these desperate threads popping up trying to prove how Live is destroying Classic.

They don't need them because Live players will just play the game, they're not as desperate to prove Live is better like some of these CLassic players.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    You guys are STARTING to get there. If a Ferrari cost $2,000 would it still be prestigious? Again, that person is just lucky - nothing more.

Side note - i have never once in my life had anyone queue up to go for a ride in my car, what an absolutely ridiculous statement (not you i realize).
    You also don’t likely have a car worthy of said adulation. I have a Tesla model x irl, and my friends practically beg to ride in it

I’ve actually driven a Ferrari and a lambo and IF you could get it for a single dollar, it’s still prestigious. Prestigious has to do with rarity, not earning anything involved in it

You can have the most prestigious item in the world and it be hand me down, found, earned, inherited, or gifted. Makes no difference and there’s no judgements on rare items to collectors

Do the Crown Jewels of England have no prestige to you because they were hand me downs?
    Last edited by justandulas; 2020-02-18 at 01:07 AM.

You also don’t likely have a car worthy of said adulation. I have a Tesla model x irl, and my friends practically beg to ride in it

I’ve actually driven a Ferrari and a lambo and IF you could get it for a single dollar, it’s still prestigious. Prestigious has to do with rarity, not earning anything involved in it

You can have the most prestigious item in the world and it be hand me down.

Do the Crown Jewels of England have no prestige to you because they were hand me downs?
    the crown jewels have prestige only to the historical notion of the British empire as they were won with conquest. to a lot there a mark of shameful past, the the queen there a nice head piece worth a small fortune. but no one but a far right nut job would call them prestigious today.

i mean the fact your still doing this after hours is kind of telling that we have all touched a nerve, i know you probably thought wow classic was going to be like vanilla and having these items was going to bring some status, but that status and prestige was predicated on the illusion of difficulty that just isn't there in classic, all you have is a ugly mace that has a low drop chance and is over tuned for the difficulty you got it from. nothing more.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-02-18 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    If you aren't playing alts, ya classic gets boring pretty quick.
    And if you are playing alts - the level of boredom becomes extreme pretty quick.

Oh - here I am waiting 2 hours to kill this quest boss again... etc etc.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    And if you are playing alts - the level of boredom becomes extreme pretty quick.

Oh - here I am waiting 2 hours to kill this quest boss again... etc etc.
    Grinding dailies for ap is a lot of fun lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    No there isn't, you have yet to give proof of such.
    No evidence is ever gonna be sufficient with pedants like you, why does it matter anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    Maybe they can poll the AI and figure out why their game sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    No evidence is ever gonna be sufficient with pedants like you, why does it matter anyway?
    pedantry is a good thing when asking for evidence.