Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    Spotted the 'belieber'. Sure, discussing how horrible these movies are to fans are a big waste of time, they are fanboys at heart, nothing can be said to convince them how incredible dull these movies are.
    Hollywood sure hit a goldmine with these movies, they don't even need to bring a proper script, just pump it out boys, fans will buy no matter what.

Am I salty? Of course, they are pumping billions into the most dull entertainment the world has ever seen, and it doesn't seem to be an end in sight.
    I'd argue that Hollywood only hit a goldmine so long as the movies are good. Considering this film after a week in theaters got stomped on by a Sonic movie that even from the early trailers, looked pretty mediocre, should be telling of how much they dropped the ball here. After Suicide Squad they should have learned their lesson about expecting to churn out shitty movies, while Joker was a hit, it wasn't marketed from a sociopolitical standpoint, while BoP was. Marketing alone can have an impact on the end results.

To my understanding and what i keep hearing is that the movie was "not made for you dumb men"

In today's society men are expected to pay for everything or they're "cheap".

So not only did they cut their market in half... they also cut out that half that was expected to pay for the other half.

Kind of like... men are supposed to pay for dinner... but you have a sign outside that says "no men allowed".

This was about as good as Suicide Squad. A few good characters can't really save the shit script.

So I went back to see BoP a second time because a colleague made me aware of some parts I haven't recognized the first time:

+ I really is some kind of emancipation as The Joker appears only in the beginning to set things up and running. Compared to a lot of other movies, BoP doesn't mention Mister J as lot. On the other hand the BoP are not as independent as they would like to be and heavily rely on the goodwill of others (mostly male) enablers.
    ++ It is not as toxic SJW b*shit as e.g. the current Star Wars or Ghostbuster installments. Its a good and fun, women based movie. However the major let down could be that there is not even one good male person in the whole movie. Every male is automatically an antagonist/impediment to Quinn and the birds. If one would have done that with revised genders... the outlash would be huge. (on the other hand it doesn't really matter for that kind of movie that much as it seems).
    + Margot does a good job to let her personal psycho out. Nevertheless it sometimes feels very forced...

~ It is nowhere as close to the TV series as it should be in terms of quality, character development or anything lorewise (the movie is not a spin-off, the series not a pre-/sequel). Basically both are somewhat running lose from each another. Also it is kinda disturbing that Kaley Cuoco syncs Harley on TV (I atleast get setbacks to Bing Bang theory...). The TV show however is a lot better regarding plot (I just got noted that the series is running for some time and have to catch up on it...)

- One could say that BoP is a Deadpool ripoff (Deadpool 2 in specific). Storyline is pretty much the same (with some characters being replaced directly in terms of role during the movie).
    -- a lot of style elements are not just borrowed but pretty much copied from Deadpool (e.g. the anachronious story telling with travels back and forth, some scenes are even 1:1 copies) - the only major difference: Reynolds is Deadpool and his improvised humour carries the whole installment, whilst Margot, well some jokes are really really forced and badly timed.

Personally I like the BoP a lot better than Suicide Squad - the movie feels more fluent, the characters more integrated. Suicide Squad just lost a lot of quality due to focus on merchandise. It got better after reshoots and reediting but you just notice where parts are glued together. BoP doesn't have the problem. Let's see if the reboot "THE suicide squad" will do...

Is it my favourite DC installment? no. Is it better than most of the other DC movies? yes. Would I pay another 30$ for visiting a cinema if I could get a blu-ray DC series like Gotham? I guess no.

PS: Really love how Winstead and McGregor carry a lot of the movie.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    After actually seeing i can’t quite say it’s a bad movie even if it’s not all that good either. Parts of it are well done but when all the parts are put together they come out as just kinda meh.

The sets are all pretty nice.

The fights/action is all good.

The characters while not being like the comic ones aren’t bad and some like zash are really good.

The movie being framed by Harley relaying info gets old pretty fast and they seem to try and be a bit to whacky.

The story in of it self is basic but not bad.

It might be that this kinda movie just isn’t my cup of tea which is why I don’t think it’s good even if a lot of it is done really well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alduin View Post
    the major let down could be that there is not even one good male person in the whole movie. Every male is automatically an antagonist/impediment to Quinn and the birds. If
    This isn’t actually true. There are I think 4 men in it shown to fine, the egg sandwich maker, the mob goon who saves huntress and then his father and brother who take in/train huntress. While all minor roles and being in the extreme minority there are positive males.

If you compare it to females to there are only about 5 positive female all being the birds of prey them selfs and Mabye the one girl in the bar who’s forced to dance. Percentage wise it’s way bigger but that’s mostly due to there being few females over all compared to males.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-02-17 at 07:27 AM.

On par with Suicide Squad.

They could've done much better.

I wanted her to just go sniff a line when she found all that coke sitting around, but nope.

Suicide Squad and Jared Letos joker were the best. This on the other hand.. nah, not gonna go watch it. I might be wrong but I heard it promotes a certain ideology I disagree with too much. I watch movies for entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Suicide Squad and Jared Letos joker were the best. This on the other hand.. nah, not gonna go watch it. I might be wrong but I heard it promotes a certain ideology I disagree with too much. I watch movies for entertainment.
    Lol what ideology?

Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Lol what ideology?
    Does it matter? I liked Suicide Squad.. and I read the reviews about this one and too many said that this was filled with political messages and was caught in "the culture wars" so decided not to go watch it. Maybe when its on Blu-ray.. I guess we'll see.

7+ Year Old Account
    Does it matter? I liked Suicide Squad.. and I read the reviews about this one and too many said that this was filled with political messages and was caught in "the culture wars" so decided not to go watch it. Maybe when its on Blu-ray.. I guess we'll see.
    The movie was pretty non political though for some reason people frame mobsters and bounty hunters being bad guys as political.

The pre movie stuff might have been more political though I don’t know I don’t tend to follow promo stuff.

Yeah, like the poster above said, idk where you heard that, but this film has essentially none of whatever you’re talking about. Unless you happen to be one of those hyper sensitive types that forces politics into everything they see, there is no agenda here. For the type of film it is, there’s even a shockingly low amount of “ra ra girl power” stuff. It’s just a movie. One of the best in the DCU in fact, but I have a pretty low opinion of all the other films, so that isn’t necessarily some glowing endorsement. It’s for sure worth a watch, and better seeing in IMAX than at home, no matter how nice your TV is.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The movie was pretty non political though for some reason people frame mobsters and bounty hunters being bad guys as political.

The pre movie stuff might have been more political though I don’t know I don’t tend to follow promo stuff.
    Like a lot of movies now the marketing is the one doing that more then the movie. Ewan McGregor went in an interview saying it was a movie about toxic masculinity, that might be where people got that idea. Same for terminator dark fate where the writer goes on twitter and talk about how his new character is gona scare the men. Then nothing of these claims is in the movie anyway. I am not sure why marketing let these people go public about stuff before the.movies out.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Dark fate failed because it was an ad-libbed version of T2. Not to mention a HUGE plot hole they ignored. John and Sarah blew up a building. Destroyed tons of police equipment. Used illegal weapons (m60 minigun and grenade launcher) yet they were chilling on the beach before John was killed by a t-800...that shouldn't exist any more?
    People cant know these things before the movies out. However how the marketing, actors, director, writers, media around the movie is talking about it, has more to do with how its receive then any of the movie itself. Because people wont have deep knowledge of the actual film, before they see it. Bird of prey has marketing attacking males a few time, which is very odd, considering when i think of who would be longest lasting of fans of the characters, would probably be in majority males. Which is also who turned up the most at the movie, just need in big enough numbers.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2020-02-18 at 12:24 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Like a lot of movies now the marketing is the one doing that more then the movie. Ewan McGregor went in an interview saying it was a movie about toxic masculinity, that might be where people got that idea. Same for terminator dark fate where the writer goes on twitter and talk about how his new character is gona scare the men. Then nothing of these claims is in the movie anyway. I am not sure why marketing let these people go public about stuff before the.movies out.
    That makes sense though it makes me wonder how stupid these people can be to promote the movie that way when it doesn’t really show up in the movie it self.

That makes sense though it makes me wonder how stupid these people can be to promote the movie that way when it doesn’t really show up in the movie it self.
    Is it stupid? I assumed that getting people talking about your product is marketing 101. Hell, people are still salty over the Gillette ad, and shaving has literally nothing to do with any of the social/political stuff that got their panties in a twist.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Is it stupid? I assumed that getting people talking about your product is marketing 101. Hell, people are still salty over the Gillette ad, and shaving has literally nothing to do with any of the social/political stuff that got their panties in a twist.
    With how thin skinned people are id say so ya. It pretty much just drives people away for something that’s not actually in the movie and while there will always be some back lash on movies like this playing it up more doesn’t seem to help. Mabye if people didn’t just follow what outrage peddles said on the internet it would be different but for a big part they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Lol what ideology?
    How did you even read past "Suicide Squad and Jared Letos joker were the best"?

With how thin skinned people are id say so ya. It pretty much just drives people away for something that’s not actually in the movie and while there will always be some back lash on movies like this playing it up more doesn’t seem to help. Mabye if people didn’t just follow what outrage peddles said on the internet it would be different but for a big part they do.
    To me its clear hollywood marketing did not yet adapt to the internet. Used to be you didnt have actors and people in the shadow like writters able to give their thoughs on everything ALL the time. Therefore it had less effects on movies. What dumb ass millionaire said at the oscar where unlikely to hurt the film 6 months later. Every press is good press was always a lie.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    To me its clear hollywood marketing did not yet adapt to the internet. Used to be you didnt have actors and people in the shadow like writters able to give their thoughs on everything ALL the time. Therefore it had less effects on movies. What dumb ass millionaire said at the oscar where unlikely to hurt the film 6 months later. Every press is good press was always a lie.
    I’d say they adapted to the internet but haven’t adapted to the major shift around I went to say 2012 where people started going berserk on both side of social justice with Sjw saying every thing is a problem from one side and anti Sjw saying every thing is a problem from another.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Dark fate failed because it was an ad-libbed version of T2. Not to mention a HUGE plot hole they ignored. John and Sarah blew up a building. Destroyed tons of police equipment. Used illegal weapons (m60 minigun and grenade launcher) yet they were chilling on the beach before John was killed by a t-800...that shouldn't exist any more?
    You complaining about time being used for the plot?
    Seriously? That's like every Terminator movie...

To be fair...they explained it...but not to your satisfaction it seems. (But then that's like a lot of so-called fans...that refuses to understand that...that which exists in the here and now, is time-written in...there's no going back to a future that doesn't exist for something that remains to exist in the past)