Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What do you remember and miss about 2000s video game culture?

It seemed like a lot of people made music videos to video game footage and posted them to YouTube when YouTube became popular in the 2000s.

What 2000s video game culture do you remember? What do you miss about 2000s game culture?

Does anyone still use the word "pwn" anymore?

I miss the RTS genre.

I remember more gamer words and less women.

Getting a full game.

No mtx.
    No patches to fix stuff that shouldn't need fixing in the first place.
    No "optional" anything.

You buy the game, you own it, all of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyOne View Post
    Getting a full game.

No mtx.
    No "optional" anything.

amen

/10 chars

Quote Originally Posted by IsmaelCraig52 View Post
    Lol I miss the 80's video game culture more. Must be getting old.
    You mean when people thought you were weird just for playing video games and the culture was basically nerd-only?

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting a full game.

No mtx.
    No "optional" anything.

The idea that games used to launch without it's share of bugs isn't exactly true.

More like you sometimes got a game with gamebreaking bugs, with there being absolutely no way for the devs to get a patch to you to fix them.

Kinda miss when it wasn't so mainstream. When the "gaming"-affix for everything wasn't a thing. Nowadays "gaming" just means more RGB light and higher price. When larger game companies hadn't yet attracted the greed and fast money mentality to it's full extent.

Having phones that at best could play snake.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

The freedom of self hosted community servers with absurd amounts of moddability.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The idea that games used to launch without it's share of bugs isn't exactly true.

More like you sometimes got a game with gamebreaking bugs, with there being absolutely no way for the devs to get a patch to you to fix them.
    Sure but you can't deny that when there is no possibility to patch it later there is a ton more attention on QA and making sure there are as little bugs as possible.

You can't tell me things like wc3r could be launched like that back in the day, publishers/game studios simply know nowadays they can patch it/fix it later anyways, some use that as the gift it can be, some kind of rely on it...

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post

FF6 physical evasion comes to mind

- No endless DLC's (i would not count xpacks to WoW or D2:LoD as DLC's but it is very personal view i guess)
    - No lootboxes
    - No 'optional things' in $$ shops
    - You bought the game - you got it and can play from start until end day 1
    - Games were READY WHEN RELEASED only with small bugs
    - No paid betatesting, early access or similar bullshit
    - Only a few games were focused on the meta or esports
    - No bullshit anti-piracy systems that only annoys people that bought the game

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    - No endless DLC's (i would not count xpacks to WoW or D2:LoD as DLC's but it is very personal view i guess)
    - No lootboxes
    - No 'optional things' in $$ shops
    - You bought the game - you got it and can play from start until end day 1
    - Games were READY WHEN RELEASED only with small bugs
    - No paid betatesting, early access or similar bullshit
    - Only a few games were focused on the meta or esports
    - No bullshit anti-piracy systems that only annoys people that bought the game
    The early 2000s were rife with shitty anti-piracy, some of the worst was from that time period

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting a full game.

No mtx.
    No "optional" anything.

Imagine being that delusional, look at old games. They are full of bugs, atleast now we get patches to fix things that are overseen.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Imagine being that delusional, look at old games. They are full of bugs, atleast now we get patches to fix things that are overseen.
    Have i said there where no bugs at all?
    There weren't enough/gamebreaking ones that would suck the fun out of it, while having the option now is great there are certain games where devs. go into it with the mindset of "duh, can do that later".

10+ Year Old Account
    Have i said there where no bugs at all?
    There weren't enough/gamebreaking ones that would suck the fun out of it, while having the option now is great there are certain games where devs. go into it with the mindset of "duh, can do that later".
    That argument has no value, just look at pokemon or ff6 with gamebreaking bugs which they couldnt fix em later.
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    That argument has no value, just look at pokemon or ff6 with gamebreaking bugs which they couldnt fix em later.
    Speedrunning is built off gamebreaking bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Yep. Look at Paper Mario thousand year door. There's a weird bug where mario can just fall through nearly the entire world and then just beat the last half of the game.

The early 2000s were rife with shitty anti-piracy, some of the worst was from that time period
    Try to find me something worse than Denuvo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye but atleast with new games they can just run on the prefered version(see hollow knight for example). Without having everyone else to deal with bugs aswell.