Nintendo being behind.

I keep hearing about Nintendo being behind, especially in regards to online.

What exactly makes their online behind?

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    I keep hearing about Nintendo being behind, especially in regards to online.

What exactly makes their online behind?

nintendo is obligated to protect kids from a goverment standpoint. this has resulted in alot of weird choices over the last years, where communication between players is very small or not really possible.

it also resulted that their online structure just isnt up to par what we as consumers/players find acceptable , because we are used to our pc / ps4 / xbox standard, wich in terms are more western orientated then nintendo's japan/asia orientation

this results into a janky pokemon overworld, or lag/bad connection in smash bro's , or rubberbanding in splatoon resulting into non accurate shooting etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by osmo View Post
    nintendo is obligated to protect kids from a goverment standpoint.
    Any specific reason why that's just Nintendo and not Sony, another Japanese game company? Because that's the first I've ever heard anyone say it was a government thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Any specific reason why that's just Nintendo and not Sony, another Japanese game company? Because that's the first I've ever heard anyone say it was a government thing.
    I dont know if what he is saying is true, but it sounds reasonably true. Any company that deals directly with kids is under far more regulatory laws. If you look at the current debacle on YouTube you can see a tip of the iceberg.

The general rundown is there are far more laws regulating interactions, especially online, when dealing with children.

Nintendo almost specifically targets children as their user base, vs the other named platforms who are basically open.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I dont know if what he is saying is true, but it sounds reasonably true.
    That doesn't make it true.

nintendo is obligated to protect kids from a goverment standpoint. this has resulted in alot of weird choices over the last years, where communication between players is very small or not really possible.

it also resulted that their online structure just isnt up to par what we as consumers/players find acceptable , because we are used to our pc / ps4 / xbox standard, wich in terms are more western orientated then nintendo's japan/asia orientation

this results into a janky pokemon overworld, or lag/bad connection in smash bro's , or rubberbanding in splatoon resulting into non accurate shooting etc etc
    Do people still have bad connection in Smash? Whenever I boot up my switch the matches go pretty smoothly, Mario maker 2 on the other hand...

10+ Year Old Account
    Similarly, I wish they offered systems with fidelity comparable to other modern systems, they're seemingly always a generation or two behind.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2020-02-19 at 01:19 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

What ass did you pull this out of? The lack of online infrastructure is literally nintendo having thier heads up thier asses. The CEO was quoted as saying he doesnt understand online gaming. They subcontracted through third parties like gamespy for wii online features leading to the loss of access after certain years. THey have zero ability to plan ahead again leading to the loss of online ability after a few years. Try and do something online with the old pokemon games, they cannot decide on a fucking storage system that will last more than like 2 generations.

This has nothing to do with protecting children and everything to do with just not understanding a tech trend that was sweeping the very niche they made product for. SONY is Japanese so there really is no excuse though sony was behind microsoft for many years untill the ps4 gen was announced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alosiboy View Post
    Do people still have bad connection in Smash? Whenever I boot up my switch the matches go pretty smoothly, Mario maker 2 on the other hand...
    i remember playing smash on wii online and using halo 3 lobby to voice chat while playing it because nintendo had no ability to do voice chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    What ass did you pull this out of? The lack of online infrastructure is literally nintendo having thier heads up thier asses. The CEO was quoted as saying he doesnt understand online gaming. They subcontracted through third parties like gamespy for wii online features leading to the loss of access after certain years. THey have zero ability to plan ahead again leading to the loss of online ability after a few years. Try and do something online with the old pokemon games, they cannot decide on a fucking storage system that will last more than like 2 generations.

This has nothing to do with protecting children and everything to do with just not understanding a tech trend that was sweeping the very niche they made product for. SONY is Japanese so there really is no excuse though sony was behind microsoft for many years untill the ps4 gen was announced.

- - - Updated - - -

i remember playing smash on wii online and using halo 3 lobby to voice chat while playing it because nintendo had no ability to do voice chat.
    When did Furukawa say he doesn't understand online gaming?

10+ Year Old Account

This isn't quite correct, there's no law obligating Nintendo into not allowing e.g direct contact between users on the system itself.

What's far more likely is that the shitshow that was Miiverse has convinced Nintendo to scale back on social features.

I think their online has a long way to go but with the Switch Nintendo is ahead of the times. People can naysay all they want but computing is moving to the very small and when it comes to gaming Nintendo made the first leap towards making mobile chip-sets mainstream in gaming which in the next 10-15 years I am guessing consoles are going to be very small compared to today and move away from x86.