Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So the new build of the "month" is out..

It's amazing just how bad this is. Just what I quickly found to be wrong reading though it:
    Pippy and Dolphin -
    1: Puppy and Dolphin do mix and match. There's nothing stopping you from using a 2600x in an X470 or a 2700x in a b450.
    2: 8gb of RAM for Puppy and Dolphin? 16gb is really the minimum, especially when you aren't even getting good RAM.
    3: A 1060 for Puppy and Dolphin? A 580 or 1660/1660 super is just better and/or cheaper
    4: No SSD? In 2020? I hope you're joking.

Narwhal -
    1: The Phanteks P400A is currently cheaper and way better than the H510
    2: On the subject of cases, the H510 doesn't support an internal DVD drive
    3: A 9600k? No. The 3600 is just better in every way while being cheaper.
    4: PSU is bad. Not "blow up" bad, but overpriced for what you get. You can get a fully modular Corsair RM650x or SeaSonic Focus+ Gold 650W for around the same and they're just better.
    5: You could at least link to one of the 2060's that cost 300 instead of 360 dollars.. There's no point getting the 360 ones at all.
    6: Samsung is just so overly expensive it's kinda pointless

Unicorn:
    1: The Phanteks P400A is currently cheaper and way better than the Define R6.. So much cheaper and so much better. Though you lose out on the DvD drive, but that didn't stop you in Narwhal..
    2: A 9600k? No. The 3600 is just better in every way while being cheaper. Again.
    3: Again, link to a 300 dollar 2060, or maybe a 2060 super. The 2070 is awful, and you shouldn't buy one. Hell, if you really want 2070 performance, get a 5700xt for cheaper.
    4: Samsung PRO drive? HOLY FUCK NO. Not only are you paying the Samsung tax, you're paying the pro tax on top of it. It's LITERALLY 2 and a half times more expensive than the MX500. Do not buy the Samsung pro drives.

That stuff has been a joke for almost as long as I can remember. Think it was more or less reasonable back in Z170 times, and it was a while ago.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

My head hurts just by looking at these builds. Nobody's buying these components and they want to get rid of them.

I agree - there wasn't any level of due diligence performed when listing these builds.

Half the stuff isn't even in stock from their affiliate links, just a cheap cash in that is bad. I've just started building my own PCs and even I can tell how bad all those builds are.

Like I said in the main thread, I bought a 9600k around cyber Monday of 18 and is by far the worst decision I've made the lack of ht just blows

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Like I said in the main thread, I bought a 9600k around cyber Monday of 18 and is by far the worst decision I've made the lack of ht just blows
    Maybe if you're trying to do like a billion things at once, sure.

But i have an 8600K in my gaming rig, and i still easily get well into the 120+fps range in every game i care to play at 1440p.

Not that im saying the BotM rigs are any good.

I wouldn't recommend a 9600K just because of the price, really. A 3600 is very nearly as good in terms of absolute gaming performance, and costs less.

Also, looking at those builds...

/insertasciipicardfacepalmhere

dear gawd.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Maybe if you're trying to do like a billion things at once, sure.

But i have an 8600K in my gaming rig, and i still easily get well into the 120+fps range in every game i care to play at 1440p.

Not that im saying the BotM rigs are any good.

I wouldn't recommend a 9600K just because of the price, really. A 3600 is very nearly as good in terms of absolute gaming performance, and costs less.

Also, looking at those builds...

/insertasciipicardfacepalmhere

dear gawd.
    We run a lot of Android emulation and my wife's 2600 just runs circles around it

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    XX[IMG]
    Also no m.2 like the Intel SSD 660p 1TB or Crucial P1

The monitors they recommend also dont have 144 hz or freesync.
    I mean full hd 60 hz on a 2060 is borderline...

I mean this builds will work but you pay too much for the performance.
    For 1080p gaming the best you can get for your money is a Ryzen5 3600 and a 1660super. Maybe a rx590 if you are on a tight budget. But no new system in 2020 should have less than 16 GB RAM.
    The power supplies are odd. Just take the Puppy PSU for every system.

I hear a lot of suggestions that a rx5700xt is way better and cheaper than a 2070super but I advise to do some research. The 5700xt is a garbage card. Its theoretically better than a 2070super IF IT WORKS. So many people have problems with this card. Game crashes, Bluescreens, overheating. I personally would pay 50 bucks more for a "worse card" that works fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    The power supplies are odd. Just take the Puppy PSU for every system.
    Absolutely do not do this. EVGA BR is cheap budget stuff, good enough for an office PC but don't use it for a gaming system.

Everything in the build of the month is trash. Either too expensive for what you get, weird choices or old stuff. Imagine recommending a case from 2012 in a pc build for 2020....

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Absolutely do not do this. EVGA BR is cheap budget stuff, good enough for an office PC but don't use it for a gaming system.

Everything in the build of the month is trash. Either too expensive for what you get, weird choices or old stuff. Imagine recommending a case from 2012 in a pc build for 2020....
    I mean there are Bequiet or Corsair PSUs with 600 or 650 Watts for 60 bucks out there. That is enough for pretty much every system. You dont have to buy this exact EVGA PSU. But you dont need a 100 Dollar either.

I mean. MMO-Champ has been a bit of a joke for anything but datamining for 5+ years now. They're even behind the 8ball on the datamining too with wowhead quite often beating them to the punch.

Aren't they using affiliate links too? Pathetic.

This is on the same level of bad as them posting a guide on how to give Blizzard more money via RAF.

A 1060 if your PC already has one is still "ok" for 2020 but it's showing it's age and I really have no idea why this site would recommend a brand new PC in 2020 to have one. They're not even in production anymore, so you will likely have to get one used, and you should only use used components if you really know what you're doing. And any 1060 that isn't used is either as expensive/slightly less than a 1660 with far worse performance or is the 3GB version and 3GBs of VRAM is a joke in 2020.

Just pay for the slightly more expensive 1660 or 1660ti and you have a pretty solid Mid-range PC as far as graphics are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    3GBs of VRAM is a joke in 2020.
    People repeat this myth all the time, because there is, for some unknown reason, a huge missapparehension as to how much VRAM things actually use.

even at high/ultra settings (which is all you're going to be realistically pushing with a 1060 of any variant) 3GB of VRAM is fine. Most games dont use more than 2-3GB at 1080p.

The absurd amount of VRAM slathered on high end GPUs is something of a joke, TBH.

Ive never seen my 1080Ti use more than 6-7GB at 1440p Ultra. Ever.

And that means its *actually* using more like 4-5GB, and simply not dumping stuff it doesn't need all the time.

Now, im not saying "run out and grab a 3GB card" - but the "YOUS GOTS TO HAVE LOTS OF VRAMZ" argument is bunk.

If you're not playing above 1080p, its not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    People repeat this myth all the time, because there is, for some unknown reason, a huge missapparehension as to how much VRAM things actually use.

even at high/ultra settings (which is all you're going to be realistically pushing with a 1060 of any variant) 3GB of VRAM is fine. Most games dont use more than 2-3GB at 1080p.

The absurd amount of VRAM slathered on high end GPUs is something of a joke, TBH.

Ive never seen my 1080Ti use more than 6-7GB at 1440p Ultra. Ever.

And that means its *actually* using more like 4-5GB, and simply not dumping stuff it doesn't need all the time.

Now, im not saying "run out and grab a 3GB card" - but the "YOUS GOTS TO HAVE LOTS OF VRAMZ" argument is bunk.

If you're not playing above 1080p, its not that big of a deal.
    The 1060 3GB was seen as a bad release back when it came out. It ended being the bastard child between the regular 1060 and the 1050 ti, and overall the regular 1060 was just better value and a bit more future proofing.

But aside from all of that, if you already have a pc with a 1060, then you can still get some mileage from it. But for a brand new PC in 2020, yeah you don't recommend a mid-range that came out three and a half years ago, especially since they are becoming harder and harder to come by.

Looking at quick benchmarks, the 9600K outperforms the 3600 (Ryzen I assume). Maybe not enough to warrant a $90 price difference. It even very slightly outperforms the 3600X for not much more in price, so I wouldn't say that it's better in every way. That being said, the Ryzen chip would be the better deal.
    CPU: Intel i9-14900k | MOBO: ASUS RoG Strix Z790-F
    GPU: ASUS Strix 4070 TI Super | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR5 32GB
    SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1TBx3 | PSU: Corsair HX 1200i Platinum | CASE: Lian Li 011 EVO
    DISPLAY: Triple 27" Monitors | ASUS Swift ROG PG2780 27" 1440p - 2x BenQ 27" IPS 1440p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strand NE View Post
    Looking at quick benchmarks, the 9600K outperforms the 3600 (Ryzen I assume). Maybe not enough to warrant a $90 price difference. It even very slightly outperforms the 3600X for not much more in price, so I wouldn't say that it's better in every way. That being said, the Ryzen chip would be the better deal.
    What reviews? Because the ones I've seen they trade blows depending on the game

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    The 1060 3GB was seen as a bad release back when it came out. It ended being the bastard child between the regular 1060 and the 1050 ti, and overall the regular 1060 was just better value and a bit more future proofing.
    That's more down to it having a worse graphics processor than the 6gb version than the lower amount of vram

I'm only an amateur level computer enthusiast and even I can tell at a glance that these builds are not even remotely close to the best choices in each category.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    What reviews? Because the ones I've seen they trade blows depending on the game
    At stock clocks, perhaps, but that 9600K will almost assuredly hit 5ghz+ and will handily outperform the 3600.

The issue then becomes, "is the extra 10-15% performance" (which might be like.. 5-10fps, and probably above 80 in either case) worth the extra cash.

For most people the answer is gonna be no.

And for anything that ISNT gaming, the extra 6 threads are assuredly a better deal.

WIth the absurdly named 10-series about to hit, though, it may bring that topic back to the forefront.

If the 10600K (which will be 6/12) hits 5.2ghz all-core (which seems likely), itll handily beat the snot out of the 3600, even for non-gaming tasks.

The issue will then be, is the extra peformance worth it for you.

For people on a budget... i'd still say no. But for people who can afford the extra cash.. it could be a compelling choice.