Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I posted recent stuff, try to keep up. Here's the thing, unless you find newer information that is different you can assume old information is true. You guys are passionate about girl scouts having declining members, which is odd.
    Yup and I saw. Here's the thing if you give a source from 7 years ago and say HAHA I WIN! then I'm gonna ask for a more recent source to either back up your claim or prove you wrong. So thanks for finally providing newer data

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenlo View Post
    Yup and I saw. Here's the thing if you give a source from 7 years ago and say HAHA I WIN! then I'm gonna ask for a more recent source to either back up your claim or prove you wrong. So thanks for finally providing newer data
    Should really take it with a grain of salt when "newer data" is an opinion piece by some chud complaining about the Girl Scouts being too feminist and something explicitly stating a change in marketing strategy from two years ago, lol.

Especially when talking to someone who is very well known for posting sources without reading their content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Weren't you literally just crowing about how easy it is to find all of this data on Google?

Where's the recent data, Zenkai.
    That's the most recent data, please if you find even more recent data correct me, I beg you. I won't hold my breath

It makes sense. They are facing a multiple lawsuits and accusations of child molestation. They probably lost way more members then they gained due to including women. I am not saying including women is bad, I am saying that more people left because of it then they gained. If I had a daughter that wanted to do scouts I would probably have them join the girl scouts over the boy scouts as it isn't facing accusations of child molestation and I would prefer a more inclusive organization.

Heres the thing if I was wrong you could have pulled more recent data and proved me wrong, but since it didn't matter the date because it's on decline ever year I was right and I am still right.

Funny how you guys aren't harping on the guy who lied saying the girl scouts are thriving.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the most recent data, please if you find even more recent data correct me, I beg you. I won't hold my breath
    You said it was super easy to find on google, Zenkai. Put up, or shut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    You said it was super easy to find on google, Zenkai. Put up, or shut up.
    Now you're just baiting, I posted the most recent stuff, unless you can prove they are increasing the numbers I will echo what you said to me. I was right all along that's all I will say on this topic.

Heres the thing if I was wrong you could have pulled more recent data and proved me wrong, but since it didn't matter the date because it's on decline ever year I was right and I am still right.

Funny how you guys aren't harping on the guy who lied saying the girl scouts are thriving.
    I mean sure they don't seem to be getting many new members but I don't think they are doing poorly. And you made the claim burden if proof is on the one who makes the claim

I mean sure they don't seem to be getting many new members but I don't think they are doing poorly. And you made the claim burden if proof is on the one who makes the claim
    Then wouldn't the burden of proof be on the one claiming the Girl Scouts are going strong?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Then wouldn't the burden of proof be on the one claiming the Girl Scouts are going strong?
    Sure here are all the financials https://www.girlscouts.org/en/about-...inancials.html

The 2017-2018 has more money than previous years to invest in what they do, unless I can't read which is possible, unfortunately there isn't a 2018-2019 from what I am seeing. But imo that means they are doing fine.

Sure membership is down especially from 15 years ago but they seem to be sailing right along and while may not be "thriving" they aren't failing either

According to the public audits and IRS filings of the Girl Scouts today they have about 2.5 million members, about 700 thousand of which are adults.

Apparently they are doing fine financially.

https://www.girlscouts.org/en/about-...inancials.html

Sure here are all the financials https://www.girlscouts.org/en/about-...inancials.html

The 2017-2018 has more money than previous years to invest in what they do, unless I can't read which is possible, unfortunately there isn't a 2018-2019 from what I am seeing. But imo that means they are doing fine.

Sure membership is down especially from 15 years ago but they seem to be sailing right along and while may not be "thriving" they aren't failing either
    Its hard to compare, looking at 2016, 2017, and 2018. A brief look makes 2017 look like an anomaly, and seems to be propped up a sale of assets (of which 2m was deferred into 2018) 2016 doesn't look good and neither does 2018 when you consider 2017. I was looking for more information on the 2017 other deferred revenue since that decreased in 2018 by nearly 6M. in 2016 that amount was 226k. Cash is down but more than that amount went to investments. I wouldn't say they need to go bankrupt but I would definitely say they need to smooth things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    According to the public audits and IRS filings of the Girl Scouts today they have about 2.5 million members, about 700 thousand of which are adults.

Apparently they are doing fine financially.

https://www.girlscouts.org/en/about-...inancials.html
    Never said they were hurting financially I only stated they are losing members every year. Which all data backs that up.

Never said they were hurting financially I only stated they are losing members every year. Which all data backs that up.
    The 500k membership loss number you threw out there likely primarily refers to all the people who stop being members as they grow out of it without taking into account new members who join.

Otherwise the organization would have evaporated by now.

In its first 100 years of existence they had about 50 million members total. I honestly doubt they would have had more than 3 or maybe 4 million members at any given time during their peak years.

Yeah, as I suspected. They peaked at 3.8 million in 2003.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...drops-sharply/

So in the 17 years since, they dropped by 1.3 million members, so they are losing about 77k a year at a fairly steady rate.

They are far from unsalvageable. You need to turn down the hyperbole.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-02-19 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The 500k membership loss number you threw out there likely primarily refers to all the people who stop being members as they grow out of it without taking into account new members who join.

Otherwise the organization would have evaporated by now.

In its first 100 years of existence they had about 50 million members total. I honestly doubt they would have had more than 3 or maybe 4 million members at any given time during their peak years.
    My original point was that The boy scouts are probably losing members on top of everything else already detailed out because there are less kids today that care about that kind of stuff, go back and read that. Both scouts declining rings true, especially since if you lose members despite population increasing.

My original point was that The boy scouts are probably losing members on top of everything else already detailed out because there are less kids today that care about that kind of stuff, go back and read that. Both scouts declining rings true, especially since if you lose members despite population increasing.
    Sure. Tho being known for having hundreds of kiddy fiddling cases on record probably doesn't help with recruitment.

I was a scout because I was in a catholic school where scouting was essentially a mandatory part of the "extracurricular curriculum".

If I had kids I would never sign them up to the scouts and would rather pick camps and activities which don't have a religious component.

I care about outdoor activities, I enjoy running, biking, hiking, spelunking, kayaking, snowboarding and swimming and I would like my kids to enjoy those things too (tho I don't really want kids), what I don't give a flying fuck about is the faux military play, the prayers, prayer circles, blessings, church going and all that dipshittery that is a trademark of American scouting.

I have scouted abroad and have been to several Jamborees and interacted enough with scouts to know that the religious peddling isn't universal and it isn't necessary.

Dropping it would probably go some way towards rebranding and reviving scouting. Tho I doubt it would be possible as religious groups still dominate scouting in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    religion seems to be doing perfectly fine though?
    Shamefully. They must be shut down as well

And I thought Mr Slippyfist was just an absurd joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I mean you knew they were desperate when they decided to ok letting girls join. Let's be real most kids these days would rather be sitting at home playing fortnite or minecraft. Parent's don't want to spend their off time taking kids to extracurriculars either.