Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sarkayan View Post
    Has Blizzard ever done this in a previous xp? Protect the game files so well to avoid data mining, do they want to hide important points in the story or any surprises?
    I just think that they are doing this just in order to tell us that we're close (generates hype, and hype does them good) and we will be getting the regular data mine-able version soon (again, the data mining "season" as I call it does them good because of general hype)

I setup 24/7 stream on my PC so I waste this planet some power. In the end, we may decrypt it if we are lucky, but getting wowdev alpha access this way will probably give us long winter with 50c temp

https://www.twitch.tv/stiven_rs

Quote Originally Posted by sarkayan View Post
    Has Blizzard ever done this in a previous xp? Protect the game files so well to avoid data mining, do they want to hide important points in the story or any surprises?
    Yes, encrypting the first few alpha builds like this happened during 8.0 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    We can't, actually. To even access the data archives we need to be able to read the encrypted configs.
    Eh, nevermind that, remembered what you mean by archives.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiven View Post
    I setup 24/7 stream on my PC so I waste this planet some power. In the end, we may decrypt it if we are lucky, but getting wowdev alpha access this way will probably give us long winter with 50c temp

https://www.twitch.tv/stiven_rs
    Stop encouraging entropy!
    Last edited by huth; 2020-02-20 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axzel View Post
    Let's take a look shall we.. The number 33411 is repeated over and over again.. 33411.. 3+3+4+1+1=12. There are exactly 12 classes in WoW. If you combine the first letters of all classes in WoW you get WDPHSDRMDMWP.. If you rearrange the letters, remove some and replace all the rest with new letters you get LEPTEMBER, which is almost exactly like SEPTEMBER but with an S instead of the L. The number of letters you had to replace was 1.. So the date is 1.. The two letters combined form SL=Shadowlands..!

2020-09-01 confirmed release date.
    NERDFIRMED. You saw it here first. Well second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

To answer the OP, no, third-parties won't be decrypting it. Need to wait for the actual alpha to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    Welp, Blizzard strikes again - the plot thickens
    https://twitter.com/Stiven_SRB/statu...13903090077697
    Shouldn't have used 1234567890 as the key.

Sorry folks Blizzard banned me for streaming this unauthorized World of Warcraft game

https://twitter.com/Stiven_SRB/statu...16794618105856

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry folks Blizzard banned me for streaming this unauthorized World of Warcraft game

https://twitter.com/Stiven_SRB/statu...16794618105856
    Well that's just bullshit.

Banned cus streaming command prompt I think I am really special case xD

Ya, probably not wise to stream your computer trying to bruteforce their encryption lol. I'd wader if the stream was you on camera talking about it while it was going on, they wouldn't have had an issue.

Isn't trying to break the encryption against the EULA?
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

It's happening! New build!

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Isn't trying to break the encryption against the EULA?
    Datamining too afaik, or at least it used to be, but they didn't usually enforce it

Edit: Having said that, I hope the ban is not for long, because I neeeeed those datamined armors, weapons and dialogue strings!

No, decrypting that stuff requires a supercomputer.

I think I love this ban

Did other streamers really leak an installed client? I feel like that’d be huge news

Quote Originally Posted by Defend View Post
    Did other streamers really leak an installed client? I feel like that’d be huge news
    No. Faking installations has been possible for years.

Nobody is going to break the encryption. Bruteforcing their file host, on the other hand, could actually lead to an unencrypted client and that would be very meaningful. Pretty dang boring to watch happen live, though, except for the moment the streamer actually finds something. Which he probably won't.

That said, this clearly wasn't infringing content. It could be seen as illegal content, however, as it is a low-rent form of hacking.