Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Republican Facebook exec: Purging Fake News would disproportionately affect cons

Kind of a stunning admission IMO. That Joel Kaplan advised against Facebook cracking down on misinformation hard in the aftermath of the fake news being peddled in 2016 because conservatives didn't believe that their fake news is fake news and that they would scream bloody murder if the Facebook pages peddling fake news were taken down.

“Facebook does not speak Republican,” a former employee of Facebook’s Integrity Team told the paper. “This is what they know about Republicans: Tell them ‘yes’ or they will hurt us.”

Non-paywalled version for those who are curious.
    Last edited by Zaydin; 2020-02-21 at 10:05 AM.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Who is suprised though? Go through any comment section regarding combating propaganda and the first thing you will see are right-wingers talking about slippery slope and thousands of other nonsense just to keep the lies going.

Propaganda is not free speech issue and your freedom of speech ends where my safety begins.

They keep saying the quiet part out loud no surprise Zuckerbot is in cahoots with Trump.

This is a surprise to exactly nobody.

Most internet savvy "conservatives" like the ones spamming this forum, who follow the ilk of Tim Pool, Sargon, Crowder, etc KNOW what they are peddling is bullshit. They are not being mislead themselves. They are doing the misleading for ideological reasons.

I find that surprising with how much meme disinformation gets shared along with a quip of outrage from my left wing Facebook friends. All the right wing memes are mostly jokes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I find that surprising with how much meme disinformation gets shared along with a quip of outrage from my left wing Facebook friends. All the right wing memes are mostly jokes.
    Yeah, sweet anecdote. The people that actually matter and know what the fuck is going on, seem to disagree with what side goes hog wild with the Facebook misinformation crap.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Yeah, sweet anecdote. The people that actually matter and know what the fuck is going on, seem to disagree with what side goes hog wild with the Facebook misinformation crap.
    Yeah went on Facebook and sure enough I got one from a Bernie Bro.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/if-yo...subsidies/?amp

10+ Year Old Account
    A shocking revelation.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean they've said this before, simple answer: stop posting fake news.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I don't think your anecdotal and very biased view of these things is a good measure of anything.

Yeah went on Facebook and sure enough I got one from a Bernie Bro.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/if-yo...subsidies/?amp
    I debunked 5 non-sense conservative lies and conspiracies on my page alone last night. And that's just what I bothered to respond to. So I guess my bullshit dumb anecdote not only cancels yours out but supersedes it.

Seriously man. At least try and be intellectually honest.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    They keep saying the quiet part out loud
    This is something that has started to alarm me. They are starting to just openly admit stuff -- which in turn is an admission that their base won't care about morals, fairness, or ethics.

Suppressing the vote? Used to be hush hush and now they are flat out admitting it.

Creating politically motivated investigations? Openly admit it's to hurt the polling of the opposition.

Combat fake news? Openly admit it would hurt their side.

The lack of care from their base is alarming as you have to wonder what they would excuse. We're to a point where if Trump actually ordered all of the Dem nominees to be thrown in jail I don't know how much his base would care. In fact they'd probably cheer like they do at his hate-fest rallies.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    This is something that has started to alarm me. They are starting to just openly admit stuff -- which in turn is an admission that their base won't care about morals, fairness, or ethics.

Suppressing the vote? Used to be hush hush and now they are flat out admitting it.

Creating politically motivated investigations? Openly admit it's to hurt the polling of the opposition.

Combat fake news? Openly admit it would hurt their side.

The lack of care from their base is alarming as you have to wonder what they would excuse. We're to a point where if Trump actually ordered all of the Dem nominees to be thrown in jail I don't know how much his base would care. In fact they'd probably cheer like they do at his hate-fest rallies.
    Well he still gets his base to do the Lock Her Up chant at his rallies.

No it's just you claiming things are jokes without any specifics behind your claim to try hiding the truth.

The shit conservatives I know share are not jokes, they are falsehoods they and a great deal of other people believe. A few weeks back one of the managers at my job got a "update" on his phone which said Pelosi was about to be arrested for ripping up Trumps speech. He and the other conservatives on the room believed it.

I don't think it's funny that people are so easily mislead to believe conservative lies and conspiracies. It's not a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    No it's just you claiming things are jokes without any specifics behind your claim to try hiding the truth.
    It's just a variation of "what he meant was". It's attempts to normalize behavior that isn't acceptable and to enable people to speak the unspoken part out loud.

And Dacien knows it. He's just being disingenuous because he's too far down the rabbit hole and admitting it would unravel his core self identity at this point.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post

The shit conservatives I know share are not jokes, they are falsehoods they and a great deal of other people believe. A few weeks back one of the managers at my job got a "update" on his phone which said Pelosi was about to be arrested for ripping up Trumps speech. He and the other conservatives on the room believed it.

I don't think it's funny that people are so easily mislead to believe conservative lies and conspiracies. It's not a joke.
    All I got from righties on Facebook:

Pretty funny start, and then political, but not misleading.

All I got from righties on Facebook:

Pretty funny start, and then political, but not misleading.
    Odd, considering I've literally corrected my mother dozens of times when she posted random bullshit and fake news from just about everywhere.

She's a die-hard Trumpster, as are all the Qanon dipshits who spam lies day and night.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Odd, considering I've literally corrected my mother dozens of times when she posted random bullshit and fake news from just about everywhere.

She's a die-hard Trumpster, as are all the Qanon dipshits who spam lies day and night.
    It might have something to do with most of the politically active folks on my feed are under 40. My grandmother and everyone else older doesn't really talk politics.

It might have something to do with most of the politically active folks on my feed are under 40. My grandmother and everyone else older doesn't really talk politics.
    odd, most of the Trumpsters under 40 spam the same bullshit memes that are easily proven false by a simple Google fact check and 30 seconds of free time.

Political stuff that gets spread has its roots in grifting. After all, a lot of people ultimately are trying to profit off of it in one way or another.

So if you have a group of people that you know for a fact are easy marks then of course they'll continue to be targeted. Facebook is mostly old people at this point and they are more easily duped. You then go after Trump supporters because, as we know, they fell hook line and sinker for a conman. On top of that they've shown their willingness to place themselves in an alternative reality in order to continue supporting him while believing he's actually doing a good job.

If you want to take advantage of a lot of people to either profit or further a cause then there's no more lucrative group to target than old Trump supporters.

There's a short story I can share related to this. I work with elderly on a regular basis. One poor old lady, who is a republican, was absolutely convinced during the Obama years that he was out to get her and other conservatives. He was going to take their guns, take their religion, force them to become muslim or something, etc... Conservative media like FOX and propaganda on facebook had her believing some crazy shit. Unfortunately, this made her an easy mark. People convinced her to buy rations, supplies, and purchase various other merchandise that would supposedly fund opposition to Obama and prevent the destruction of christianity.

Anyways, point is if you're a scammer of any kind and you want easy money then target Trump supporters, particularly older ones. It's happening right now.