Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Sucks you cant use FB video or voice call anymore.
    You can't use that in China?

wtf
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    @Jinro Be careful out there.
    The Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony, formerly known as Shincheonji Church of Jesus, said in a statement on its website that the patient identified as No. 31 by KCDC attended a worship service in one of its churches in Daegu. The pastor told local media that some 1,000 people attended the same service.

The outbreak in Daegu, a city about 235 kilometers (150 miles) south of Seoul, has raised renewed concerns about the virus after a lull in reported cases last week. On Tuesday, President Moon Jae-in warned that the impact from the virus on the economy could be bigger and longer-lasting than the 2015 MERS epidemic that killed 38 people in South Korea.
    @Muajin76 Just remember, in a few months you'll be in Ripongi staring at school girls competing to see whose school uniform has the shortest skirts. I'll be on a beach along the Caspian. Then, next year, when they can't find people to fill positions, they'll suddenly remember your WeChat. Same thing happened after the Olympics when they thought people were going to flock here, then they found out lots of people weren't willing to put up with the pollution and stuff. This time, I'd already made up my mind it is time to set off on a new adventure.

It must have been inspection day for the guys on the gate. They had a legitimate, full police officer out there who saw a laowai -- and of course laowai all go home during the holidays, everybody knows that. Luckily he was in such a rush to score points he stopped me on the way out -- so I wasn't carrying groceries yet -- because this took something over half an hour.

Damn! The foreigner has the proper gate pass. OK, show me your passport, that might not be the right paperwork. Laowai hands him the passport, numbers match. Ah, ha! It says your visa is expired. Show him the visa, show him the clerk insisted on writing down the day it was renewed and did not write down the expiration date. By this time, the regular gate guys are trying to chat with me and telling him I don't go out. Ah, where is your residence permit? Laowai opens the passport up, takes out residence permit. Finally, something out of line! This says building 8, but your paper says building 5! Laowai shows picture of the registration for the gate pass, filled out by my landlady's husband, it says building 5. I've been complaining about the "8" typo for a couple of years, but the data is that way in their computers and nobody cares enough to change it, especially since I'm registered with the compound's police as well. Mianzi is on the line now, he launches into a long speech ... and the laowai apologizes for his lousy Putonghua before going off into English. Damn! Now it is obvious he can't speak English. Oops! Regular gate guy (for extra insult the guy who is about a foot taller than the policeman and probably ex military) comes over uses one or two simple words and gestures to indicate what they tell me every time (and he knows it) -- don't go out unless you have to, wear your mask, wear gloves, wash your hands and face when you get home. Policeman has used every check for my ID he can reach, it is now obvious I've registered everywhere and that I'm known there. He calls the local station where they find somebody to translate (which means probably an officer who ain't gonna be happy with him). We go back and forth through several exchanges and they finally come up with "well, your landlady will be on record, we'll call her and tell her to go to the police station with you to get that corrected". By this time, the poor policeman realizes that this is *not* going to look good in his review, He thanks me profusely for my cooperation, tells me he was just doing his job, and assures me I'll have no trouble getting in when I come back from shopping. Sure enough, I come back with groceries and he jumps out of the van to wave like I'm his best buddy (otherwise translated as, "we're buddies, don't make a complaint")

I'm not going to hold my breath for them to successfully push my landlady to come into Beijing from Hebei to correct a typo in the middle of the virus. My bet is "well, fix that when you renew it".

Ah, a nice beach on the Caspian, an ice cold flask of vodka, and maybe even a bit of caviar. It will be worth the sunburn. <shadowmouse puts the Cups song back on loop>
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    You're getting away from the point. I was focusing on the concept of eating animals, not how they are treated prior to death.

And you're kidding yourself if you don't think animal cruelty isn't happening in slaughterhouses in every continent in the world. You can make laws against it but who's going to speak up when the law gets broken? The animal ? lol
    No, that's you getting away from the point... because the initial point of mine that you replied to pertained to the treatment of animals prior to slaughter. Is English your second language? I didn't say cruelty didn't happen in slaughterhouses; read what I said again. Animal cruelty in China is much more common due to lack of regulation and old beliefs that give a certain predisposition to the treatment of animals.

Plenty of people speak up for shithouse slaugtherhouse practices; there's even been court cases here where the people involved were prosecuted. You're using a whataboutism here, two wrongs don't make a right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Animal cruelty in China is much more common due to lack of regulation and old beliefs that give a certain predisposition to the treatment of animals.
    Compared to where ? Every single European country ? Do you have a source on that ? Sounds like you're making things up.
    Last edited by Poe; 2020-02-20 at 06:59 AM.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Quote Originally Posted by Stormvind View Post
    I thought this thread is about the virus, not animal cruelty?
    This thread has hijacked by WuMao

Seriously, animal cruelty is in all countries, not just China.
    Human tested new and improved virus on lab rat or whatever poor animals.
    Instead disposal them, they sell them in a wet market for money.
    Now the virus is leaked out. They can make more money by selling the cure now.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    Be careful out there.

Gotta love the cults. People lying about their attendance. Should just crack down hard on them and possibly throw them into prison, lol.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2020-02-20 at 10:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Jinro Welp, in this case, probably a large chunk of them need to be in quarantine at least.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-02-20 at 05:15 PM.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

There were news of deaths from virus in Iran. Was thinking Iran was covering it cos the deaths happened so fast.
    Now there is news a Canadian is infected who was in Iran in late January.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/richardzu...456929281?s=21

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...date-1.5470757
    Last edited by sabe; 2020-02-21 at 09:16 AM.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN2020022...ional/national

Daegu on full alert as coronavirus numbers soar

DAEGU/ANDONG, South Korea, Feb. 21 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's southeastern area was on full alert as the number of coronavirus patients continued to surge on Friday, with most cases assumed to be related to a church associated with a minor religious sect.

South Korea reported 52 new cases of the new coronavirus on Friday, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 156.

The number of COVID-19 infections here almost tripled in just three days, with most new infections traced to a branch of the Shincheonji church in Daegu, 300 kilometers southeast of Seoul.

Of the 52 new cases, 41 are in Daegu and neighboring North Gyeongsang Province, which together are home to a population of 5 million.

Among the regional cases, 35 are assumed to be linked to the Shincheonji church, with numbers feared to rise as 409 members of the congregation have reported having symptoms. Around 2,700 said they do not have symptoms, while 343 of them could not be reached.

Daegu, the country's fourth-largest city, is grappling to prevent the contagious virus from further spreading.

It has urged residents to refrain from going outdoors and to wear masks.

The city has recommended more than 1,300 preschools close down, while 252 welfare facilities for the elderly will be closely monitored on concerns over their health.

Concerns over the city's public health capacity are rising as some emergency units have been closed and health personnel quarantined after people who were later confirmed as patients were found to have visited.

On Friday, South Korea designated Daegu and Cheongdo in North Gyeongsang Province as "special care zones" following the mass outbreak.

Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun vowed government efforts to take "strong and swift" measures to prevent further spread of the virus, calling the latest development an "emergency" situation.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN2020022...ience/medicine

SEOUL, Feb. 21 (Yonhap) -- South Korea said Friday the new coronavirus is in the initial stage of a full-blown outbreak, but stressed that it is still "manageable," although the number of infections has almost quadrupled in just three days.

The country reported 100 new cases of the novel coronavirus as of 4 p.m. on Friday, bringing the total number of infections to 204, the Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said.

Most new infections have been traced to church services in the southeastern city of Daegu.

Daegu, where the 2.5 million inhabitants have been asked to stay indoors, and neighboring Cheongdo were designated as a "special management zone" earlier in the day. The nation's capital, Seoul, banned demonstrations in downtown areas.

Of the 100 new cases, 86 are in Daegu, 300 kilometers southeast of Seoul, and neighboring North Gyeongsang Province. Another seven were reported in Seoul, the KCDC said.

The health authorities vowed to make more containment efforts as the potentially fatal illness spreads fast across the country.

Health and Welfare Minister Park Neung-hoo told reporters that the health authorities will allow hospitals to separate respiratory patients from others in an effort to prevent human-to-human transmissions at hospitals.

Health authorities will also check all pneumonia patients in Daegu hospitals, Park said.

Still, the authorities have kept the virus alert at the third-highest, or "orange," level, but the virus response will be carried out with an urgency appropriate to the "red" level, Park said.

The spike of infections in Daegu and several cases in Seoul, where routes of infections are not immediately traceable, have prompted health officials to declare that COVID-19 has begun spreading locally.

The KCDC said eight new cases were reported in South Gyeongsang Province. In a sign that the virus may broadly spread nationwide, other provinces, including Jeju, Chungcheong and North Jeolla, reported cases. Gyeonggi Province also reported more new cases.

Of the 100 new cases, 85 are linked to the Shincheonji Church of Jesus in Daegu, where the 31st patient, the country's probable "super spreader," attended worship services, the KCDC said.

A 61-year-old South Korean woman, who tested positive for the virus earlier this week, attended worship services at the church on Feb. 9 and this past Sunday.

The total accumulated number of confirmed cases in Daegu and its neighboring North Gyeongsang Province stood at 153, with the number of cases linked to the Daegu church coming to 128.

"Currently, the COVID-19 situation at home is that the scope of mass outbreak via a single exposure is relatively big," KCDC Director Jung Eun-kyeong said.

Health authorities are investigating how the Daegu church was infected by the virus, Jung said.

The religious organization has branches in China and other nations, Jung said, adding that the investigation included whether the church members visited China's Hubei province, the epicenter of the virus.

Most virus-infected patients are stable, but about seven patients with underlying illness are in relatively critical conditions, Jung said.

The number of confirmed cases at the Daenam Hospital in Cheongdo, near Daegu, stood at 16, including five nurses, the KCDC said.

On Wednesday, a South Korean man, age 63, died at the same hospital and posthumously tested positive for the flu-like virus.

In a separate statement, the KCDC said the man with chronic pneumonia had been hospitalized for a long time, and he died as the illness worsened.

A group of health experts suspected the man died from the virus, but they expressed opinions that his death might have been also caused by other factors, the KCDC said.

The 31st patient also visited Cheongdo before testing positive for the virus, but she did not visit the Daenam Hospital, the KCDC said, adding that a larger probe is needed to identify how the 16 people at the hospital, including five medical staff members, were infected by the virus.

South Korea is set to release one more fully recovered novel coronavirus patient from a hospital later in the day, the KCDC said. So far, a total of 16 patients have been discharged.

The number of people being checked for the virus and under quarantine came to 3,180, up from 2,707 a day earlier, the KCDC said.

South Korea has screened 16,400 people for COVID-19 since Jan. 3, with 13,016 testing negative and 17 patients having been discharged from quarantine after making full recoveries.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said that despite the spike in infections in South Korea, the situation is manageable.

In Geneva, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters, "I think the number of cases are really manageable. And I hope that South Korea will do everything to contain this outbreak at this early stage."

The WHO chief said South Korea's virus response "is proportionate to the public risk they have."

@shadowmouse People going full panic mode here soon.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2020-02-21 at 09:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Rozz Thanks for cleaning that lag post up! Every time I tried to edit it out, the edit didn't load.
    @Jinro Ouch! Yes, I'm thinking there will be some serious questions for that cult.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    @Jinro Ouch! Yes, I'm thinking there will be some serious questions for that cult.
    Yeah, someone from it apparently escaped quarantine. People are saying they're trying to intentionally spread it now, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro
    People are saying they're trying to intentionally spread it now
    Not impossible. I tried to look up their background -- charismatic leader who is said to imply salvation comes from him. Doomsday cults and faith healing have happened before. That's the last danged thing anyone needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Some time ago I mentioned lifestyle as a factor that might explain why the virus seems more deadly here in China. Here is something from a recent article that seems to take the same things into account: https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-s...132519694.html
    Health behaviors that differ by sex in some societies may also play a role in disparate responses to infections.

China has the largest population of smokers in the world — 316 million people — accounting for nearly one-third of the world’s smokers and 40% of tobacco consumption worldwide. But just more than 2% of Chinese women smoke, compared with more than half of all men.

Chinese men also have higher rates of Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure than women, both of which increase the risk of complications following infection with the coronavirus. Rates of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease are almost twice as high among Chinese men as among women.

Despite the ban on protests due the virus conservative groups are protesting in Seoul.

Also the investigation of the cult members is concluded, over 9000 members, 1200~ are suspected to be infected.

https://news.v.daum.net/v/20200222104226282

This is just going to go downhill fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Despite the ban on protests due the virus conservative groups are protesting in Seoul.

Also the investigation of the cult members is concluded, over 9000 members, 1200~ are suspected to be infected.

https://news.v.daum.net/v/20200222104226282

This is just going to go downhill fast.
    what the fuck

A doomsday cult intentionally spreading a deadly virus you say ..

This is the type of shit you see in a apocalypse movie lol

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    A doomsday cult intentionally spreading a deadly virus you say ..

This is the type of shit you see in a apocalypse movie lol
    We see alot of apocalypse signs these days, though China seems to get hit harder than most.

Locusts Could be the Next Plague to Hit China

Doomsday cult predicted lots of things.
    However, none of them predicted this plague.

I guess all past plague are no worse than a flu.
    People don't think virus can doom us.

On topic, 2 hospitals in Beijing are infected.
    They are like infested command center in Starcraft.

It seems that the spread has been slowing down some. Recovery cases are on the rise. 77k confirmed/ 22.5 recovered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Doomsday cult predicted lots of things.
    However, none of them predicted this plague.

I guess all past plague are no worse than a flu.
    People don't think virus can doom us.

On topic, 2 hospitals in Beijing are infected.
    They are like infested command center in Starcraft.
    Beijing has 399 confirmed cases with only 4 deaths. 178 people have recovered in Beijing so far.

- - - Updated - - -

In Shandong, there was a situation in a supermarket. 2 girls in their 30s accused a guy next to them, of touching them and said don't get so close to them. They threw his groceries, told him they will make him die. One lady grabbed his facemask and pulled it off. He then wailed on both of them several times in the face with his fists.

Man...i can only imagine if this happened in wuhan, those girls would get sooo much more shit. Maybe the guy went a tad overboard but i don't blame him.

- - - Updated - - -

Korea has 433 confirmed cases, in one of the biggest cities in the country. Seems the virus spread quickly due to some church event in Daegu. Figure 433 confirmed with LOTS more that could potentially have it but not showing symptoms. I have a buddy currently visiting Korea *hopefully he got out soon*
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.