Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Who are the 'Deathbringers'?

The past couple of expansions have had a series of animated shorts focused on characters central to the story. Warlords of Draenor had the Lords of War, which introduced us to the stories of each of the Warlords. Legion had Harbingers, shifting the spotlight on Illidan, Khadgar, and Gul'dan, while Battle for Azeroth had Warbringers show us the tales of Jaina, Sylvanas, and Azshara.

Now, regardless of what this new series is going to be called—although I do think Deathbringers would fit the theme of Shadowlands quite well—who do you think the stars of our new animated shorts are going to be?

I'll be happy as long as at least one of them is Bolvar. He deserves his time in the spotlight. Unfortunately, I do think Sylvanas might get a new short showing her "true plan" or whatever crap the writers come up with. They could also be focused on the covenants, giving us a more thorough look into what each of them is about. Also if there's any merit to Bellular's Medivh theory, he might as well be one of them.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I mean the Lich King in general should be one; whether it focuses on Arthas or Bolvar or both. maybe Helya? Bwonsamdi definitely

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I mean the Lich King in general should be one
    I don't know why I didn't think of that. A short showing the story of the Lich King from its creation to present time would be awesome.

maybe Helya? Bwonsamdi definitely
    I feel like both of these are kind of unlikely. Helya and Bwonsamdi both feel thematically tied to the areas where they were introduced.

Bolvar will be one of them for sure, possibly alongside as of yet unknown characters. Perhaps the Jailer himself gets one, if Azshara can.

Fuck me if Sylvanas gets one. Bitch has had more than enough screentime and is more a plot device than a character now.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    I don't know why I didn't think of that. A short showing the story of the Lich King from its creation to present time would be awesome.

I feel like both of these are kind of unlikely. Helya and Bwonsamdi both feel thematically tied to the areas where they were introduced.
    yeah especially focusing on the Helm of Domination and how it came to be in the Dreadlords possession. Helya and Bwonsamdi are both going to be featured in Shadowlands and both are beings that deal with the afterlife so yeah they could definitely have some more backstory explained.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Bolvar will be one of them for sure, possibly alongside as of yet unknown characters. Perhaps the Jailer himself gets one, if Azshara can.

Fuck me if Sylvanas gets one. Bitch has had more than enough screentime and is more a plot device than a character now.
    I don't think they will do one for Sylvanas, we just had one for her prior to BfA - the Jailer, maybe? depends whether or not Blizz want to cast any light on who he is yet

Probably the four covenants but they may save them for a comic anyways...
    Uther
    Tyrande
    The Jailor
    Bolvar
    Kael'thas Sunstrider
    Sylvanas [?]

- - - Updated - - -

Let's be fair, Sylvanas was in... 3? rendered cinematics for BfA.
    Teldrassil
    BFA intro
    BFA war campaign ending

Now compare that to Jaina
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

-Sylvanas
    -Bolvar
    -Jailer or Tyrande

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post

Let's be fair, Sylvanas was in... 3? rendered cinematics for BfA.
    Teldrassil
    BFA intro
    BFA war campaign ending

Now compare that to Jaina
    And 3 consecutive expansion cinematics, plus her appearances in Saurfang's.

And Jaina's not going to be in Shadowlands anyway so why even bring her up.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

you were specifically referring to screentime in BfA, which is why someone brought up the Sylvanas vs Jaina screentime.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    you were specifically referring to screentime in BfA, which is why someone brought up the Sylvanas vs Jaina screentime.
    And Jaina being too omnipresent in BfA makes it OK for Sylvanas to be because?

Going with the idea it'll be three prominent NPC's my vote goes:

Bolvar - Former Lich King/ Jailer of the Scourge... who probably has a greater understanding of the Jailer and insights into his mechanations.

Talanji - Ties with Bwonsamdi... her father was just killed... her family line had ties to Rezan (whom was killed), but could possibly offer knowledge/assistance on current situation.

Calia - New leader of the Forsaken and rightful ruler of Lordaeron... has a unique outlook/ take on Undeath. Ultimately, I feel, she will be instrumental in restoring the veil once we put things back into place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Talanji - Ties with Bwonsamdi... her father was just killed... her family line had ties to Rezan (whom was killed), but could possibly offer knowledge/assistance on current situation.
    I doubt that. Talanji's expansion is over, and she will be relegated to being a Horde nobody just like Thalyssra and Mayla.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post

Bwonsamdi makes an appreance in one of the dungeons. Ion stated that in the "What's next" panel at BlizzCon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blysto View Post
    Bwonsamdi makes an appreance in one of the dungeons. Ion stated that in the "What's next" panel at BlizzCon
    I guess I kind of forgot about that.

sylvanas and anduin combined received less screentime than Jaina. Jaina has been in every cinematic in every patch of BFA
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

3+ Year Old Account
    I'd love one about Bwonsamdi that shows his 'true' origins as a mortal troll that ascended to God/Loahood. But what they'll probably do is only mention him in the book/dungeon

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    I doubt that. Talanji's expansion is over, and she will be relegated to being a Horde nobody just like Thalyssra and Mayla.
    Well, Thalyssra did appear in the War Campaign at some point. Mayla I can agree with though. She's with Baine in Anduin's throne room for some reason in 8.3
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Well let's run through the canidates
    Bolvar: we know he'll play a khadgar type role throughout the expansion but what the short could cover that isn't already ingame is kind of lacking
    Sylvanas: She will of course be in an antagonistic role in this expansion(so we'll probably be foiling her plans left and right) if she does get one hopefully it will cover event currently not seen in game like perhaps Lirath's death and it's effect on her and of course her suicide off Icecrown and the subsequent meeting with the Val'kyr and/or the Jailor
    Calia/Jaina/Anduin/others: we don't even know if they'll be in Shadowlands so I won't bother
    Kael'thas/Uther/Draka: we already know where they are perhaps they'll give us a glimpse at the Arbiters process of deciding where each soul goes
    Arbiter/Jailor: possible but would probably come later at least in the Jailors case

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    I'd love one about Bwonsamdi that shows his 'true' origins as a mortal troll that ascended to God/Loahood. But what they'll probably do is only mention him in the book/dungeon

Well, Thalyssra did appear in the War Campaign at some point. Mayla I can agree with though. She's with Baine in Anduin's throne room for some reason in 8.3
    Bwonsamdi is implied to be older than the troll race so maybe they'll show him as a proto-troll

Also I'd like to think Mayla is there because she wanted to meet Anduin since Baine considers him a friend

Edit: I had a different wording for the last line but I repressed my biased Ship brain
    Last edited by Psykho; 2020-02-24 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    This would be awesome.

I don't recall that, but I did rush through the Horde campaign just so I could get my wolf mount.

As for Mayla, they really threw away that character's potential as a uniter. We are Highmountain.. unless you're Alliance because for the Horde, right?

On the Shadowlands official page they mention how the leader of the Necrolords is missing, and how five different necrolords vie for position. On the Kyrian page, it mentions Archon, the first winged Kyrian. On the Night Fae page, it mentions a Winter Queen. And in Venthyr it name-drops Denathrius, but that crowning another sire may bring it to its former glory.

Part of me would have said we'd get a focus on some of the characters we'd seen before going through their sufferings in each zone - like Kael'thas in his. But if that sort of thing is off the table, then the others mentioned are the only other characters we have much to go on at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    i just want to know what millhouse manastorm's wife is going to do to him after we freed her. two expacs down iam still wondering! can we have an animation of that?!
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)