Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Hopefully non-hunched Undead as well.
    Yes please. The only thing I need.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    that's why it shouldn't happen.

you don't make changes like this in spite of the lore. the lore should be the guiding point of how you can and cannot change a race.

- - - Updated - - -

i think void elves will be the exception to their rule. they'll likely give them lighter skin tones, since they will most likely give blood elves blue eyes. they know doing that will cause an absolute diaper-shitting rage that'll bankrupt huggies if they don't.

but that void form isn't permanent. what people don't seem to get about void elves, is that their current skin isn't their void form. their void form triggers ever so often in combat, they don't control when they enter it like alleria does. their purple skin comes from the fact that they were almost fully mutated into void beings, it isn't their void form. so while it's a cool idea, i don't think there's lore precedent to do this.

- - - Updated - - -

the biggest letdown is that nightborne will likely languish in complete and total mediocrity for the rest of their existence.

this would be the perfect time to go back and re-tool them to be taller and have narrower eyes, like the npc models.
    "Lore procedent" won't stop Blizzard, if people want that customization option, even if it's just a niche one, they'll make up a lore precedent anyway. Lore precedent could be that they found a way to do it thanks to the knowledge kept in Telogrus Rift. Lore precedent means nothing to a writing team that thinks continuity exists to enhance their story and not tie their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Your example is terrible because it literally took them 5 and a half years to 'address' it.
    I never said it would happen in 9.0 and neither did this thread.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    White skin and red eyes for Mag'har Orcs to fill in for the missing Shattered Hand skintone

i couldnt care less about visuals when i dont even wanna log on any of my chars because they play like shit

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    It makes as much sense to make a black-skinned gnome as it makes to create a purple or blue skinned one. Because gnomes already have non-human hair colours (green, pink) so who said their skin colours should follow human palette.

So I wonder which kind of races you think it would fit to follow the human example.
    Like I said : Every white skinned race. The ones who rely on Caucasian human palette. The pink skins. Humans, dwarves, gnomes, blood elves.

And I'm feeling obliged to repeat, at this point : it's not really a wish, more like a guess.

Also I wouldn't mind for skin colours outside the human palette, like you said. Blue dwarves could be just Frostborn, green gnomes could be just leper.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    that's why it shouldn't happen.

you don't make changes like this in spite of the lore. the lore should be the guiding point of how you can and cannot change a race.
    Like Varodoc said, lore is merely an obstacle. You can just add the usual "it wuz here all along !" and get on with whatever you want to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Lore precedent means nothing to a writing team that thinks continuity exists to enhance their story and not tie their hands.
    When you put it that way, it doesn't sound that terrible. It's the way I prefer to see lore "evolutions".

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Like I said : Every white skinned race. The ones who rely on Caucasian human palette. The pink skins. Humans, dwarves, gnomes, blood elves.

And I'm feeling obliged to repeat, at this point : it's not really a wish, more like a guess.

Also I wouldn't mind for skin colours outside the human palette, like you said. Blue dwarves could be just Frostborn, green gnomes could be just leper.

Like Varodoc said, lore is merely an obstacle. You can just add the usual "it wuz here all along !" and get on with whatever you want to add.

When you put it that way, it doesn't sound that terrible. It's the way I prefer to see lore "evolutions".
    Oh I didn't try to paint it as terrible. Lore is cool and all, but only up to a certain point. So long as it is not a retcon (and in this case it wouldn't be, because they already set-up that Umbric wants to learn new things about his condition in Telogrus Rift), then they should totally add new and original customization options.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

I expect to be suprised in a good way about what custom elements I can play with and that the end resukt is close to what we have with pandaren.
    Meaning 30 or so different faces, beards, and hair styles

I'm not expecting anything, nor do I want anything. Stuff like this is such a waste of time and development resources, I'd much rather they focus their art team on more important and relevant things.

WoW is the only major MMO on the market besides OSRS (lol) that doesn't have sliders for customization. It's honestly pretty pathetic. Blizzard has always been dogshit with customization so I'm not expecting much.

Love to get some nice skirts but that is but a dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    WoW is the only major MMO on the market besides OSRS (lol) that doesn't have sliders for customization. It's honestly pretty pathetic. Blizzard has always been dogshit with customization so I'm not expecting much.
    I think toggle options are a better fit for WoW than sliders.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhart11 View Post
    Pretty sure Hazzikostas already said there won't be sliders because the game engine doesn't support that properly. Although i don't understand that, at least in regard to height. We already have potions who can increase or decrease the size of the character.
    Blizzard are very particular about aesthetics and the way the WoW models are built indeed isn't really compatible with sliders, not without leading to a lot of aesthetic horror shows.

It is true that height would be doable but it presents a few issues. First off, they'll need to check that the max and min heights for each race don't create any new problems. This isn't huge, as really only the smallest and largest races need to be checked, but it's a thing, because unlike a potion or whatever this is semi-permanent (Barber to change).

Second off, however wide the limits are, people will complain they're not wide enough, and if they are wide, you get some potentially dodgy aesthetics that again, are semi-permanent. And from other MMOs it's clear people cluster at extremes - ie if you let human males be up to 20% bigger or smaller, you can bet like 95% of them will be 20% bigger, so you've basically just increased the default size of human males. That is a real issue and it shows how that sort of slider does not really increase customization, just sets a new norm.

Finally, once one slider is added, people will demand more. Doesn't matter how well or truthfully you tell them it isn't practical, because they aren't interested. They just want to make demands and score internet points with similar nincompoops by saying "lol 2020 and still no sliders Blizz".

Re SL my biggest hope is more and better faces, especially for Horde races, especially for older ones.

Realistically I suspect it will be mostly hairstyles, jewellery, tattooes, warpaint and so on, but I'd really like to see more faces.

Oh and one worry is that the number of options may be inflated because they're adding separate eye colour. If Blood Elves have 40+ new options that is a lot but if 6 are shades of green glowing eyes and 2 yellow glowing, and say another 10 are new jewellery, that's quite a chunk. Of course if they add blue glowing eyes well that will probably cause a riot in a good way...

5+ Year Old Account
    I love for pandaren to have black skin and the option of a tail. Also the entire hair needs to be able to be changed in colour, rather than just a streak.
    Eyes separate from face.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Sliders don't lead to great customization and they don't lead to diverse and interesting-looking characters in most cases, either. Mindlessly demanding them shows you're using a cargo-cult approach rather than analysing the actual benefits for a game like WoW. With most fantasy MMOs the sliders are poorly used, with a bunch of idiots running around with maxed boobs, minimum waist, or if male, max height and shoulder width (or just width) and either the prettiest face they can make or some attempt to make a monster and break the sliders. BDO is a great example. For every reasonable character, you get three boobmasters or hideous monsters. FFXIV shows the opposite issue. It has a shit ton of sliders and countless options, yet most characters of the same subrace and gender look as or more identical than WoW characters.

Sliders have their place. You need them for something like City of Heroes, but cargo-cult demands to add them to WoW are senseless.

7+ Year Old Account
    Beards for trolls and undead
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    Hopefully Worgen and Goblins don't get left out again
    For specific things I want, well white skin colors for worgen, half-elf options for humans, half-troll options for orcs, Big beards for Night elves (plus for the blindfold not to be restricted to one face), and Dragonmaw orc skins
    Blindfold needs to be completely removed, now that we have demonhunters. Same logic as was applied when they decided against adding warglaives to transmog table for rogues/warriors.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Blindfold needs to be completely removed, now that we have demonhunters. Same logic as was applied when they decided against adding warglaives to transmog table for rogues/warriors.
    You know that there are moggable blindfolds, right?

Also Blizzard aren't likely to remove any options. Change, maybe, but remove, nah.

-Fully customizable druid forms
    -To be able to fix broken back at barber shop (blood elf male, troll male) just like Orcs can.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    You know that there are moggable blindfolds, right?

Also Blizzard aren't likely to remove any options. Change, maybe, but remove, nah.
    Remove those as well. Doesn't matter rogues been using them for ages. Only DHs can have the cool things from burning crusade.