Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how you went from "It had a shitty launch" to "it's a failed project!".

It had a shitty launch, probably the worse I ever seen, because most of what Murray advertised and hyped up wasn't there.

Did eventually became a decent game? Sure.

Edited: Financially however, now that I think about it... I wonder if you can call it a success...
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12
    Star Citizen will crash and burn like NMS did, and just like the fanatics defending NMS, it's not until after it has happened that they will wake up. But by then nobody will care or even feel sorry about them.
    Turns out the NMS fans got the last laugh in that case.

Will Star Citizen end up ok? No idea. I hope it does, it seems like a cool project, but I didn't have much faith in it in the first place.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2020-02-23 at 12:51 AM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Just one thing, as someone who doesn't really care as I've never been a backer nor that interested because I thought this was way too ambitious at the start.

But No Man's Sky did apparently turn it around somewhat. It was a terrible game at launch and they deservedly got a lot of resentment but apparently it's pretty decent fun these days. This Beyond update has moved the score up to user review 7.8 on metacritic from an original score of 3.1. I haven't tried it, but it appears all the various critic reviews say it's pretty good now.

-GameSpot

And most every other review is as positive.

Point being you keep using NMS as an example of a failed project and it's not now. It got better.
    I didn't use NMS as an example of a failed project. Feel free to point to where I said that.

Myobi figured it out pretty nicely with the quotes.

I was going to repeat myself here but I re-read my other post and it sums everything up nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Turns out the NMS fans got the last laugh in that case.

Will Star Citizen end up ok? No idea. I hope it does, it seems like a cool project, but I didn't have much faith in it in the first place.
    The NMS "fans" like me, you mean, refunding the game and never looking back all the while thinking Sean Murray is a piece of shit who conned his own customers on purpose?

I'm happy for the new NMS fans. I for one won't ever support HG again unless Murray leaves. I have more self-respect than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    The beatdown and trouble for CIG stems from the fact that they had to use backer money in order to defend against a lawsuit, when I(in my glorious wisdom), knew that CIG would have tremendous issues releasing anything at all as things stood already. Luckily for CIG the private investor stepped in and basically saved the project... for now.

I still stand by my prediction. NMS was undoubtedly one of the worst launches for me personally when it came to actual marketed features vs. what the game released with. Star Citizen, if it ever gets out, will have it even tougher. All Chris did was to talk year after year, it'll be impossible to satisfy people who have invested themselves into feature x or y.

I watched the NMS community crash and burn real-time and it was glorious. They had an equivelent fanboy-community that no matter what tried defending the game until the very end. Then, they slowly stopped responding and disappeared into the winds - much like I expect most fans in this thread to. In fact, they've even started to disappear already. Spectrum has been full of concerns for months and barely any defender posts in this thread anymore(except you and Kenn).

Shock -> Denial -> Disappointment -> Anger. That is what awaits all SC backers, and then they'll go after Chris and Sandi.

All I ever care about in the project now is SQ42. I want to see Mark Hamill's work and play through it just once. As for SC, it's a dead dream.

You will join me eventually, brother.

For anyone wanting to understand more about the Carrack Hype this video does a good job explaining it.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-02-23 at 07:43 AM.

This topic is legendary.
    %1 info about game.
    Same people fighting over same stuff with same arguments.
    Chris Robbers is Robbing people! OMG!! Then go complain to the government not here.
    People are happy for being robbed or raped or whatever.

At least bring some other info, argument so we will read something new.
    Hell with the repeating posts.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    This topic is legendary.
    %1 info about game.
    Same people fighting over same stuff with same arguments.
    Chris Robbers is Robbing people! OMG!! Then go complain to the government not here.
    People are happy for being robbed or raped or whatever.

At least bring some other info, argument so we will read something new.
    Hell with the repeating posts.
    Precisely why I stopped posting here as much as I did five years ago. It's just the usual posters coming here to shit over and over again. Even when you reply to them in good faith with evidence to support your claims, even when you voice your own concerns, you'll be labeled as a delusional fanboy supporting a doomed project. Moved on to discussing it with various Discord groups, where I found civil (and rational) conversation.

... and again... good for them! Still pretty irrelevant to the point that was being made though.

Even video games such as Fallout 76 & Anthem that suffered from similar problems can also become decent video games eventually, as long as the developers dedicate themselves to it, now that doesn’t change that the developers over-hyped those games by marketing what the game could eventually become instead of what was actually going to be… causing the most fanatical part of the community to bury their heads in the sand after going around talking about it as if it was the second coming of Jesus while insulting every “hater”, “naysayer”, or whatever other fancy term they were calling them at the time.
    Thw thing is that the point is moot. NMS, Fallout, Anthem and many others were developed in secrecy behind closed doors and people only found out what kind of game they were playing after release.

Star Citizen has been in open development with playable version for years now whille doing several free-flys a year where anyone can play for themselves without spending a penny.

The continuous hype around Star Citizen has as much to do with what they have delivered already as with what they have promised.

That is why it's hype has continuously increased along the years as the steady incremental growth in players and funding shows.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-02-23 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    What "people"? When you adress something so vaguely does it realy have a point? Everyone is different and you could say that about anything. New game/music/movie coming out? Some "people" will be disapointed, some will like it.

People own expectations are just that. Their own expectations.
    No matter what you show you'll never be able control everyone's expectations aka please everyone hence it's irrelevant to try or care about it because it's fundamentally utopian.

With that said it's completely acceptable that for some gamers Star Citizen is the best game to portray the "real life but in space" experience due to the sheer freedom it's gameplay systems and graphical fidelity provide.

Just like for someone else that game would be Kerbal, NMS, Elite, EVE etc.

It's has as much of variable as the human being in itself.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-02-23 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    For anyone wanting to understand more about the Carrack Hype this video does a good job explaining it.
    Eh, its alright, I guess. It just has no "character". Maybe it's because its an Anvil ship, but I feel that they could have done so much better. The Carrack is one of the most bland looking ships in the game, and you'd expect something that's trying to be a Serenity to have a bit of character instead of a long box with a pointy nose. I appreciate what the ship is trying to accomplish, but the design itself is quite lacking. But you can't fault SC for their variety of ships, so maybe we'll see a better Serenity-style ship in the future.

Imo think it turned out quite well for it's role:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Eh, its alright, I guess. It just has no "character". Maybe it's because its an Anvil ship, but I feel that they could have done so much better. The Carrack is one of the most bland looking ships in the game, and you'd expect something that's trying to be a Serenity to have a bit of character instead of a long box with a pointy nose. I appreciate what the ship is trying to accomplish, but the design itself is quite lacking. But you can't fault SC for their variety of ships, so maybe we'll see a better Serenity-style ship in the future.
    It's the silhouette. Iconic spaceships have very distinct silhouettes. You can't mistake the Enterprise, the Millennium Falcon, or Serenity for any other ship.

Contrast that with the Carrack's silhouette. It doesn't look very distinctive. As you say, it's mostly a box shape. There are tie fighter wings on the sides, but they aren't prominent enough to change the silhouette.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It's the silhouette. Iconic spaceships have very distinct silhouettes. You can't mistake the Enterprise, the Millennium Falcon, or Serenity for any other ship.

Contrast that with the Carrack's silhouette. It doesn't look very distinctive. As you say, it's mostly a box shape. There are tie fighter wings on the sides, but they aren't prominent enough to change the silhouette.
    Exactly, and they can do interesting silhouettes (eg: Origin, Drake, CO, Esperia), they just, for some reason, chose not to. The only thing I can think of is that this is an Anvil ship, and most of their ships are fairly plain looking, outside of maybe the Hawk and Crucible. If that was what they were going for, they nailed it.

... and again... good for them! Still pretty irrelevant to the point that was being made though.

Even video games such as Fallout 76 & Anthem that suffered from similar problems can also become decent video games eventually, as long as the developers dedicate themselves to it, now that doesn’t change that the developers over-hyped those games by marketing what the game could eventually become instead of what was actually going to be… causing the most fanatical part of the community to bury their heads in the sand after going around talking about it as if it was the second coming of Jesus while insulting every “hater”, “naysayer”, or whatever other fancy term they were calling them at the time.
    That really is the point though. NMS is more an example that sometimes games that have problems and everyone claims as a total travesty end up good if people stick with it. I have no idea if Star Citizen will follow that or not.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

… and again, every “total travesty” can turn around as long as the developers are willing to throw the extra resources at it, but that doesn’t make it ok to lie and mislead people about it, NMS deserved a lot of the heat it got at launch, just as Blizzard with WC:Reforged, Bioware with Anthem and Bethesda with Fallout 76, that said, NMS also deserves the praise it’s getting for putting the effort into turning into a good game instead of just turning their backs at it as many others have.
    That's nice and all but the initial thing I responded to claimed NMS was an example of a game that everyone finally abandoned and stopped defending and that is clearly false. It's not a game that "Crashed and burned" as I quoted. Its a game that had major problems that were turned around. Where Star Citizen is right now, reputationwise, NMS actually would be an example of what they SHOULD do, not an example of a failure.

So... to be perfectly blunt, my biggest problem with Star Citizen is that to play the game, you basically have to "buy" a ship. But since I haven't gotten to play with a ship, I don't know what to even look for. So what winds up happening, is that I just don't pay to play the game, because the choice they've offered is insurmountable.

I would be *WAY* more interested if they just said "Hey, drop $20 and you can play the game, you just don't get a ship to start out with".

The fact of the matter is, if I get a ship, I want it to feel like MY ship. Like I earned it for myself, and actually chose it. But without playing the game, you have no way to knowing the value of any of these ships. It's weird, but that's just how the game feels right now. I want to jump into the alpha/beta/whatever it is now, but I also think it's crazy that I'm first asked to make such a potentially important decision, with no context.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    So... to be perfectly blunt, my biggest problem with Star Citizen is that to play the game, you basically have to "buy" a ship. But since I haven't gotten to play with a ship, I don't know what to even look for. So what winds up happening, is that I just don't pay to play the game, because the choice they've offered is insurmountable.

I would be *WAY* more interested if they just said "Hey, drop $20 and you can play the game, you just don't get a ship to start out with".

The fact of the matter is, if I get a ship, I want it to feel like MY ship. Like I earned it for myself, and actually chose it. But without playing the game, you have no way to knowing the value of any of these ships. It's weird, but that's just how the game feels right now. I want to jump into the alpha/beta/whatever it is now, but I also think it's crazy that I'm first asked to make such a potentially important decision, with no context.

They offer free weekends every now and then for people to test ships.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

There are free-fly events where you can just load up the game and try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about no? How about developers just start releasing games in a decent state at launch? How about developers being honest about what they are selling you instead? At best, NMS should be an example of what you should do AFTER fucking up big time...

No duh thats obvious dude, credit is still where credit is due. The fact they were able to redeem the game itself is still a good thing. Try to lighten up a little.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

SC was never marketed as a free to play game, and the initial pledge package is cheaper than the vast majority of AAA games these days. Keep an eye out for the Free Fly weekends that pop up, they happen pretty regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    SC was never marketed as a free to play game, and the initial pledge package is cheaper than the vast majority of AAA games these days. Keep an eye out for the Free Fly weekends that pop up, they happen pretty regularly.
    All true, but when being presented with different options, you're still asked to make a choice. In all honesty, I'd almost be more inclined to spend $40 if it *didn't* come with anything, simply because it removes that aspect of decision-making. Am I going to reflect back in a few months and think "Man, I should've picked one of the other ships"? That's my concern.

As for the free-play weekends, I did indeed jump into one back in November. I was extremely impressed with what I experienced, even though my laptop really couldn't run it very well (I plan to upgrade my desktop at some point, so not a huge concern). I still wasn't able to experience flying a ship, though, which was a bit of a bummer.

All in all, it left a positive impression, but I still can't justify dropping the money when I don't know which ship I "should" pick. Like I said, that's why I think they should consider offering a lower package that doesn't include anything, just to get a more "pure" experience, and not being weighed-down by "did I make the right choice?".

All true, but when being presented with different options, you're still asked to make a choice. In all honesty, I'd almost be more inclined to spend $40 if it *didn't* come with anything, simply because it removes that aspect of decision-making. Am I going to reflect back in a few months and think "Man, I should've picked one of the other ships"? That's my concern.

As for the free-play weekends, I did indeed jump into one back in November. I was extremely impressed with what I experienced, even though my laptop really couldn't run it very well (I plan to upgrade my desktop at some point, so not a huge concern). I still wasn't able to experience flying a ship, though, which was a bit of a bummer.

All in all, it left a positive impression, but I still can't justify dropping the money when I don't know which ship I "should" pick. Like I said, that's why I think they should consider offering a lower package that doesn't include anything, just to get a more "pure" experience, and not being weighed-down by "did I make the right choice?".
    Your starter ship isn't that big of a deal. It's your starter ship. It's okay if you start with an Aurora, because you're going to upgrade out of it once you earn enough UEC ingame to rent or buy bigger ships.

Before the Star Citizen/SQ42 package split, the base package into Star Citizen costed $45 and came with the Aurora (has a bed, can carry multiple people, and has a cargo bay). Today, the cheapest Star Citizen packages are $45 and come with either an Aurora or the Mustang (single seater fighter, no bed or cargo bay). If you had to pick between the two, I'd say go for the Aurora, for the advantages of being able to haul stuff, carry passengers, and using the bed to log off away from a hangar.

If you are willing to throw in an extra $20, you can upgrade your Aurora/Mustang to either an Avenger or an Origin 300 variant, which have the agile characteristics of fighters and hauling capabilities. The 300 series has a really nice, unobstructed cockpit view, and also has a bed for logging out. IMO, the 315p is the best, as it comes with 12 SCU of cargo space, making it the most versatile ship for me. I can make a lot of money off of hauling and quickly upgrade to a rental Freelancer, or I can do combat missions.

That being said, I will once again say that like all early access games, you should only throw money at the project if you are satisfied with what you see right now. Assume that the current version of the game is the final version. If you don't like it right now, you should hold off.