Page 1 of 69
... LastLast

Question WOW- Now pay to win?

I see 475ilvl items with socket and good corruption for like 2-3 million on the AH. So now ppl buy wow tokens for real life money and then buy this items...

Is this good gameplay or not? Pay to win?

Blizzard probly happy about it as they earn more $$$

EDIT: What i mean by p2w is win the damage meter. More dps make dungeon/raid/pvp easyer. One with buyed BIS for real life money VS one with no corrupt or a bad one. Who would you put your money on? Who would you like to have in your raid/dungeon/arena. Also my english are pretty bad so sorry for not explaining so all understand. I did my best, sorry.

VERY funny thing is that i asked both if its good gameplay and if its P2W. None/few answer if its good gameplay. All get stuck if its P2W instead. Ppl are funny

Apparently Preach Gaming have a video about it.

Last edited by Xauro; 2020-02-25 at 02:20 AM.

You could always buy BOEs for money, so either wow has always been p2w or never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    You could always buy BOEs for money, so either wow has always been p2w or never.
    BoEs typically weren't 15%+ damage increases though.

I wouldn't exactly call it "P2W", but it's certainly closer to that than it's ever been before. Preach/Bay had an entire discussion on this after the world first race, with multiple guilds spending 100m+ gold on corruption BoEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xauro View Post
    I see 475ilvl items with socket and good corruption for like 2-3 million on the AH. So now ppl buy wow tokens for real life money and then buy this items...

Is this good gameplay or not? Pay to win?

Blizzard probly happy about it as they earn more $$$
    is there anyone apart from guilds trying to compete for world first like Method or Limit actualy wiling to spend some 80-120euro to buy single item?
    if so, i pity the fool

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    buying BoE’s has been a thing since
    Classic so if that’s your metric then the game has always been P2W.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Not like this...corrupt effect does like 30-50% of your damge sometimes. Have never been like that before that BOE are so powerfull. Or maybe it have but that is bad gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -

yes but never this powerboost? 30%+ of your damage from one BOE? Really?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    BoEs typically weren't 15%+ damage increases though.

I wouldn't exactly call it "P2W", but it's certainly closer to that than it's ever been before. Preach/Bay had an entire discussion on this after the world first race, with multiple guilds spending 100m+ gold on corruption BoEs.
    I agree. Feels bad man!

I feel like this is more a result of corruption being broken and poorly planned than it is any intention of making the game p2w. But if any BOE has stars on it that's like... Well I got one as BOP and it was a 10k jump for me without adjusting my rotation at all. At that point regardless of intent it's functionally the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    That is a bit stupid as in classic/vanilla you can/could not use real money to buy gold (without using illegal sources). How could buying stronger items for gold be pay to win if you are not able to use real money to buy gold?????

7+ Year Old Account
    Not like this...corrupt effect does like 30-50% of your damge sometimes. Have never been like that before that BOE are so powerfull. Or maybe it have but that is bad gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Feels bad man!
    Buying power is buying power while the gap may be worse that doesn’t push one closer to P2W then the other.

Mabye if there was a gold cap like in Swtor it would be P2W but you can earn the gold to buy these things your self without spending a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    is there anyone apart from guilds trying to compete for world first like Method or Limit actualy wiling to spend some 80-120euro to buy single item?
    if so, i pity the fool
    Well some just choose to work abit more each day if they can and then they can buy pay to win gear for like 0 effort ingame. IM NOT a person like that but i been trying for 100+ hours ingame so far getting a good corrupt and it wont drop and feels so bad.

It's not a big deal to me.
    If the items were higher ilvl than obtainable in raids, then yes, I would have a problem.

People have been buying ingame boosts since Classic (For real money) - and noone bats an eye.. As soon as the AH is involved, people lose their marbles.
    If someone wants to spend their IRL money on supporting my ingame economy, so be it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo9999 View Post
    That is a bit stupid as in classic/vanilla you can/could not use real money to buy gold (without using illegal sources). How could buying stronger items for gold be pay to win if you are not able to use real money to buy gold?????
    Rather blizzard said it was illegal or not doesn’t really matter when thousands if not millions got away with it any way. You have always been able to spend real money for power in wow the sites to do so are still around today.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Feels bad man!
    You don't win Mythic World first by AHing BOEs, you win it by being the best players. You can put your standard/average WoW player in the best BOEs and they still aren't clearing shit they couldn't have already cleared.

And like others have pointed out (sad that it even has to be pointed out) you've always been able to buy BOEs in AH including some BIS items. But please, tell us more about buying items and how you automatically win the game with them.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Rather blizzard said it was illegal or not doesn’t really matter when thousands if not millions got away with it any way. You have always been able to spend real money for power in wow the sites to do so are still around today.
    Because people got away with doing illegal things, makes it okay?

wat.

You couldn't (legally) buy gold in vanilla, so it's vastly different now that blizzard offers those services.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    You don't win Mythic World first by AHing BOEs, you win it by being the best players. You can put your standard/average WoW player in the best BOEs and they still aren't clearing shit they couldn't have already cleared.

And like others have pointed out (sad that it even has to be pointed out) you've always been able to buy BOEs in AH including some BIS items. But please, tell us more about buying items and how you automatically win the game with them.
    When i say WIN. I mean WIN DPS meters. Haveing good dps helps out alot. Both in raids and arena. And NO BOE have never been this strong. When could a BOE do 30-50% of your total damage almost by itself? Its not normal anyway .

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I can't remember BoEs being objectively better than anything you could get inside the raid though
    also this^

wow has always been p2w. if blizz wanted the game to not be p2w it would be free, come with a house, pc, internet, any essential needs the person wants, would cure disease, the human condition, and would be completely luck based in all aspects.

noob blizzard cant even do that

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    You couldn't (legally) buy gold in vanilla, so it's vastly different now that blizzard offers those services.
    Blizzard has never taken strong measures against buying gold rather it’s technically legal or not is rather meaningless when blizzard has been making money off gold sellers for the whole Life of wow while only making poultry efforts to try and seem like they are against it.

There’s a reason why you can get banned and just buy a new account blizzard gets its money either way and have never really cared.

The fun thing is, this is player made Pay-to-win.