Thread: I like Anduin !

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    they used a portal to evacuate a lot of darnassian citizens to the stormwind, how the reverse situation was impossible ? alliance has many great mages in their ranks. there is a ship line from stormwind going exactly to the teldrassil, they could atleast attempt to send some help there? they sent some elite forces ASAP to pandaria when anduin was missing, howcome they couldnt do that even tho we see night elven ships return back to teldrassil ?

( and I dont even go into the length of asking the big question: where the hell were the Draenei when they are so close to the night elves? or why the army of the light didnt come to help when we see they have this giant spaceship capable of landing all kinds of support, both soldiers and lightforged turrets ?
    They did send the forces back from Silithus (where they thought the attack was going to be) to Teldrassil immediately. But just like in Pandaria, a small forwards team (player and their squad) can get there quick, the rest of the fleet arrives 2 months later. Or in the case of Teldrassil simply too late for anything else but evacuation (of people that could still be evacuated)

The thing about the Draenei I can't answer either. Something about them still being busy with... something about Argus... probably. But their absence is unexplained really.

As the one everyone looks up to Anduin should be more than just someone people like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Just hit 110 and started levelling on alliance, I must say, I really like Anduin, really don't understand the hate.

What's so bad about having a kind and optimistic leader? And he is written to be quite intelligent, which is cool, since he is not the Grrr, roarrr, smash warrior type.

He is the type of leader a kingdom would want, good, kind hearted and wise. He isn't afraid to step up either to fight, but only if he absolutely must. Also willing ot offer his enemies a hand if it would help bring peace of if their plight is just.

This is the type of leader you really want. Why the hate? He also looks cool in the cinematic.
    I like him in every way except for a leader of the Alliance. Thanks to his naivety different catastrophes have happened leading to the death of many.

As described by Blizzard themselves, his journey is one of realizing peace isn't everyone's motive. Problem is he learns on the back of victims.

Turalyon and Genn and others advised him against the summit in Arathi, but he relayed to his sovereign authority and did as he wanted anyway. What happened? A blood bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Clickbait Mick View Post
    Anduin pulled back the war effort after the victory in Daz'aralor because he didn't want to be "too mean" to the Horde, costing them a quick victory and thousands of lives on both sides. He's an absolute idiot and a trash character who should never have been in charge of the entire fucking Alliance.

People who like him clearly have the ability to entirely ignore his glaring flaws. And no, those flaws don't make him an interesting character.
    You're not really complaining about Anduin then. You're complaining about the writers having to balance a story where neither side can have a decisive, crippling, war-ending victory. I mean, what were you really expecting? That Anduin or any other Alliance character would actually beat the Horde? The appeal of Anduin is that he isn't just another warmonger in a sea of warmongers. His actions and their outcomes are irrelevant because neither the pacifists nor the warmongers will ever actually make a difference in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    You're not really complaining about Anduin then. You're complaining about the writers having to balance a story where neither side can have a decisive, crippling, war-ending victory. I mean, what were you really expecting? That Anduin or any other Alliance character would actually beat the Horde? The appeal of Anduin is that he isn't just another warmonger in a sea of warmongers. His actions and their outcomes are irrelevant because neither the pacifists nor the warmongers will ever actually make a difference in the long term.
    Acting like Anduin is some kind of unique character in the Alliance is a false dichotomy. Tyrande and Genn aren't warmongers just because the seek revenge on Sylvanas. Varian hasn't been a warmonger since Wrath ended. Jaina is the original peacemonger who Anduin just copied. Velen was never a warmonger. None of the Dwarven leaders have been very active in combating the Horde. Malfurion is the original neutrality guy.

Anduin sucks, and his characterization will never amount to anything because Blizzard will never allow true peace between the factions since they want the red vs blue crap to go on forever. So what you get in the end is a whiny pissant king who exists to spit pointless peace platitudes.

...So who will be the new king be if Anduin dies?because,It is necessary that he dies and another one comes, worthy. Someone worthy of Wield Varian´s sword. There is someone worthy out there? And no paladins, he has to be a warrior ...

I think the lore is badly done, it seems that there are not many options...

Anduin is boring as fuck too much of a peace seeker, they said in legion he would become more of a man or adult in BFA but he still acts like his old self and acts like a kid who wants peace.

He should have become more torn on the matter and instead the alliance (and anduin) became more boring while tyrande and the night elves just became a looser part of the alliance but that has always been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    what "mistakes" anduin made that not end up being because he is too good/inocent/pure?

even the "wrong" thing you said, like releasing saurfang, in fact, was just him being right above anyone would think, doing the "right decision" despite people not liking, and that "lawful good decision" ended the war and archieve peace. Geez what a perfect character

Like i said, those kind of characters are just bland and boring, its lawful good and "meh"

i said "decent" in way of being forthright/decisive, like Lothar was
    Baine's risky choice this expansion of releasing Derek Proudmoore also ultimately made a huge difference towards ending the war and achieving peace, yet I still see plenty of people on this forum wanting his head on a pike for it, I don't see why Anduin should be immune to such criticism.

And there was just an argument less than a page ago about him being too decisive, "not listening enough" to older racial leaders like Tyrande and going on with his own plan instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    Anduin is boring as fuck too much of a peace seeker, they said in legion he would become more of a man or adult in BFA but he still acts like his old self and acts like a kid who wants peace.

He should have become more torn on the matter and instead the alliance (and anduin) became more boring while tyrande and the night elves just became a looser part of the alliance but that has always been the case.

Surrender or die.

He never would have done this in MOP. Again, refer back to comic for the change in his mindset. "You traded words with warriors and almost died for it" etc. Plus the end of Before The Storm where he sees that "Sylvanas is well and truly lost" and abandons trying to reason with her. Even throughout the whole process of setting up The Gathering, he did everything in his power to ensure his people would be safe in the event of things going awry, being cautious and defensive rather than merely "hoping in the light" that it all turns out fine. (And to his credit none of his people died, no one expected Sylvanas to kill her own.)

Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-02-23 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Surrender or die.

He never would have done this in MOP. Again, refer back to comic for the change in his mindset. "You traded words with warriors and almost died for it" etc. Plus the end of Before The Storm where he sees that "Sylvanas is well and truly lost" and abandons trying to reason with her.

The end of BTS should basically not even have him say the quote "Surrender or die" he should just go kill her with the others. that would make him make more sense.

He doesnt need to test his doubts about sylvanas three times. She just burned a world tree and they had a big fight. why would she surrender? just to have her death delayed by a few days?

*Her leaving the Kirin Tor in Legion when the Horde was allowed into the city
    *A moment I can't recall the exact source on, possibly Before The Storm, which had her conversing with Kalecgos about her current state. Very aimless and empty without Theramore or Dalaran, channeled into rage.
    *This eventually leads to the above prequel comic where she ruminates on the choices that lead her to this point and steels herself to return home to defend her country from the Horde and redeem herself in their eyes.
    *Daughter of the Sea song, which has her return to Theramore and resurrect Dad's old flagship, declaring "I'm listening now, father." Hearkening back to previously shown WCIII scene.
    *In-game we see her back on the front lines defending the Alliance at Lordaeron.
    *Later in BFA proper we see her whole questline of humbly asking for forgiveness, being denied, imprisoned, before her mother ultimately coming to understand the choices that lead her to this point and telling her to "forgive your father...and forgive yourself." As Lord Admiral, she re-establishes her roots and has something to care about again, but still holds no love for the Horde.

*Baine and his immense bravery mark the final turning point. Stopping Sylvanas and returning Derek to Jaina, her initial fury melts into compassion for the first time in years.

*Meeting with Lor'themar again, remembering the pandarens' words as well as he does, she's willing to put aside their differences and work together against common enemies once again.

I know I'm missing the Dazar'alor raid and her comment of mercy (or was it Anduin's? Can't quite remember.) But IDK where that falls on the timeline.

- - - Updated - - -

That would make him conniving, manipulative, and evil, notably three traits absent from his portfolio.
    Conniving and manipulative, sure, but not evil. That's what a good king should be. That's why Anduin is a terrible character.

Just hit 110 and started levelling on alliance, I must say, I really like Anduin, really don't understand the hate.

What's so bad about having a kind and optimistic leader? And he is written to be quite intelligent, which is cool, since he is not the Grrr, roarrr, smash warrior type.

He is the type of leader a kingdom would want, good, kind hearted and wise. He isn't afraid to step up either to fight, but only if he absolutely must. Also willing ot offer his enemies a hand if it would help bring peace of if their plight is just.

This is the type of leader you really want. Why the hate? He also looks cool in the cinematic.
    He is a toxic man with a deep disdain for women who paints justified female rage as women being mentally unstable and consumed by vengeance. He is also more sympathetic towards the leading architect of two successful genocides and one attempt than to a longterm ally, considering that he was unwilling to support the Night Elves in their quest to reclaim their homeland and instead rather gave his entire army into the hands of a genocidal monster with a machismo complex, probably because of dudebro reasons.

And yeah, I am subverting Christie Goldens claims about how Anduin Wrynn is a non-toxic male role model.

So far, Anduin as a character has proven by far stronger sympathies towards genocidal war criminals than to the victims of genocide, which should tell us alot about the politics of Anduin Wrynn and of his creators.
    Last edited by Shiza; 2020-02-23 at 05:45 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Baine's risky choice this expansion of releasing Derek Proudmoore also ultimately made a huge difference towards ending the war and achieving peace, yet I still see plenty of people on this forum wanting his head on a pike for it, I don't see why Anduin should be immune to such criticism.
    because he is a shit character that made a lot of shit, like being mostly pro alliance than pro horde later, there is no comparison here Anduin is ten times better than him
    And there was just an argument less than a page ago about him being too decisive, "not listening enough" to older racial leaders like Tyrande and going on with his own plan instead.
    that end up being the right decision all along

Found another really good tidbit that I had forgotten about from A Good War, where Genn not being reprimanded by Anduin for ambushing Sylvanas against orders was then used by Sylvanas to manipulate Saurfang into striking first in the War of Thorns.

That sure as hell counts as a mistake in his record book, I can't believe I forgot about that. It's not enough to make me hate Anduin but it definitely shows not all of his decisions are right in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    because he is a shit character that made a lot of shit, like being mostly pro alliance than pro horde later, there is no comparison here Anduin is ten times better than him
    They literally both released a character affiliated with the opposing faction back to said faction, potentially endangering their own position in the process, it's extremely comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
    He is a toxic man with a deep disdain for women who paints justified female rage as women being mentally unstable and consumed by vengeance. He is also more sympathetic towards the leading architect of two successful genocides and one attempt than to a longterm ally, considering that he was unwilling to support the Night Elves in their quest to reclaim their homeland and instead rather gave his entire army into the hands of a genocidal monster with a machismo complex, probably because of dudebro reasons.
    That's a really big stretch to misconstrue Anduin. Even Shandris shows concern over this. It's a plot point.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-02-23 at 06:09 PM.
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

7+ Year Old Account
    They literally both released a character affiliated with the opposing faction back to said faction, potentially endangering their own position in the process, it's extremely comparable.
    one is the leader of their faction, that can do the fuck he want, and would lead to a tatical rebellion weakening the enemy, the other is a dumb passive cow who did nothing in face of Sylvanus shit work for a lot of time, but only decide to kick the bucked when she is distorting a damn alliance character and end up helping the alliance and dividing the horde even more

Look, not saying what he did was not morally right, but everything in the table make him a shit character and thats it

And yeah, I am subverting Christie Goldens claims about how Anduin Wrynn is a non-toxic male role model.

So far, Anduin as a character has proven by far stronger sympathies towards genocidal war criminals than to the victims of genocide, which should tell us alot about the politics of Anduin Wrynn and of his creators.
    If ANduin is toxic, then every man alive is, and people should just accept being male is toxic.

If ANduin is toxic, then every man alive is, and people should just accept being male is toxic.
    If you think that misconstructing justified female rage after a genocide as a woman being mentally unstable, afterwards befriending a leading war criminal of multiple genocides and attempted genocides and giving him access to all of your troups instead of helping your longterm military ally who was a victim of a genocide in which said war criminal was a leading architect is positive masculine behavior, the problem is solely on you and you should rethink your values.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a really big stretch to misconstrue Anduin. Even Shandris shows concern over this. It's a plot point.
    It isn't. It is an obversation of Anduins behavior with Goldens claim that Anduin is supposed to be Blizzards big non-toxic role model in mind. Which he isn't, his behavior is highly toxic and sickening.

It isn't. It is an obversation of Anduins behavior with Goldens claim that Anduin is supposed to be Blizzards big non-toxic role model in mind. Which he isn't, his behavior is highly toxic and sickening.
    Continuing to shelter your allies despite them directly subverting your authority is toxic now? You also ignored my point that I was really trying to hammer in: It is not just Anduin concluding that she's "consumed by vengeance." Blizzard makes a point of showing that other night elves close to her feel the same way. She's always been impulsive, and now she's impulsive, empowered by a goddess, and tied to an ancient, dark blood ritual. We'll have to see where that goes, but you can hardly blame the people close to her going "I'm a little worried about that."

Like most wow characters these days and it's problem is he doesn't realistically react to situations happening but rather reacts in ways that push the plot.

The horde should of been disbanded entirely. It makes MoPs story pointless if every time we have a war things go back to normal the next day.

Blizzard just really,really wants night elves as a villian as well to the point of going above and beyond to paint them as one. They even had to retcon a few characters from the book they published pre mop because even for blizzard they had characters acting to strangely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry123 View Post
    Anduin wimp and coward
    Legion: afk throne room
    BFA: crying like bitch
    Shadowlands: afk throne room

nice king LOL
    You would do well to consider your words about His Majesty more carefully...

oh majesty blanduin! passive and weak whiner with syndrome cerebral palsy! death will be a great gift for him