Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I assume you must have watched a different trilogy.

- - - Updated - - -

Falling airplane? What reality do you live in? Disney is swimming in money.
    The only thing Disney has is The Mandalorian. Their themeparks are failing, their movies are failing, their stocks are dropping (https://www.google.com/search?q=disn...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-02-26 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    The only thing Disney has is The Mandalorian. Their themeparks are failing, their movies are failing.
    And yet somehow they're earning the largest profits of their history. Life is a bottomless dish of mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Some people have been drinking the "get woke, go broke" kool-aid so long it's distorting their view of reality and they have to believe that companies even showing lip-service to diversity or social awareness have to be losing money.
    Ghostbusters 2016. Disaster.
    Batwoman. Pretty much cancelled.
    Wokemen. Cancelled.
    Dr. Who the new series. BBC will never cancel it because it's the only thing they have, but it's doing so bad that it may as well be finished.
    Turds of Prey. Still hasn't broken even, and it looks like it's gonna lose money.

Get woke, go broke.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-02-26 at 11:02 AM.

The only thing Disney has is The Mandalorian. Their themeparks are failing, their movies are failing, their stocks are dropping (https://www.google.com/search?q=disn...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    What planet are you living on? You can't take a slight drop over one day and ignore the fact that Disney's stocks are way up compared to last year or the past 5 years. Disney movies make shit-tonnes of cash, even the pointless live-action remakes.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some people have been drinking the "get woke, go broke" kool-aid so long it's distorting their view of reality and they have to believe that companies even showing lip-service to diversity or social awareness have to be losing money.
    Some people have been drinking the woke culture kool-aid for so long that they think that equity policies equal equality, or that diversity matters in fictional stories. Also, if representation mattered at all, then why did Birds of Prey get dunked on at the box office by a blue fucking hedgehog? Oh right, because it doesn't matter, and if the film is objectively mediocre, not to mention markets itself in such a way that it doesn't target the actual market of people who will go see the films (which is comic book fans), no duh it's going to bomb. Star Wars suffered from doing the opposite of what it needed to. Instead of marketing itself to actual Star Wars fans, it attempted to pander to a certain crowd that is impossible to please ya know, the irrational SJW crowd? They've become known as Reylo's among those of us who dislike how the franchise has been handled. Reylo's are literally lunatics who cried like the giant children that they are after TROS came out because their stupid ass fan fiction and crazy fantasies turned out not the way they wanted.

Ghostbusters 2016. Disaster.
    Batwoman. Pretty much cancelled.
    Wokemen. Cancelled.
    Dr. Who the new series. BBC will never cancel it because it's the only thing they have, but it's doing so bad that it may as well be finished.
    Turds of Prey. Still hasn't broken even, and it looks like it's gonna lose money.

Get woke, go broke.
    Ooh, now do Black Panther, Captain Marvel or Fury Road, or try to rationalise how Peter Capaldi's run on Doctor Who was also lacklustre, or how Solo performed so terribly despite having the generic male lead you need to avoid wokeness...

Or maybe try to notice that films can be good or bad regardless of how angry they make fragile men.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Some people have been drinking the woke culture kool-aid for so long that they think that equity policies equal equality, or that diversity matters in fictional stories. Also, if representation mattered at all, then why did Birds of Prey get dunked on at the box office by a blue fucking hedgehog? Oh right, because it doesn't matter, and if the film is objectively mediocre, not to mention markets itself in such a way that it doesn't target the actual market of people who will go see the films (which is comic book fans), no duh it's going to bomb. Star Wars suffered from doing the opposite of what it needed to. Instead of marketing itself to actual Star Wars fans, it attempted to pander to a certain crowd that is impossible to please ya know, the irrational SJW crowd? They've become known as Reylo's among those of us who dislike how the franchise has been handled. Reylo's are literally lunatics who cried like the giant children that they are after TROS came out because their stupid ass fan fiction and crazy fantasies turned out not the way they wanted.
    Does it occur to you that Birds of Prey didn't too well because DC have a really poor track record when it comes to making movies? Birds of Prey is a sequel to suicide squad which was, to be generous, shit. I don't think you can attribute its failing to wokeness any more than you can blame a lack of wokeness for Solo's failure.

Ooh, now do Black Panther, Captain Marvel or Fury Road, or try to rationalise how Peter Capaldi's run on Doctor Who was also lacklustre, or how Solo performed so terribly despite having the generic male lead you need to avoid wokeness...

Or maybe try to notice that films can be good or bad regardless of how angry they make fragile men.
    You don't really know what a woke movie is.

Alright, let me instruct you.

A woke movie is a movie that through dialogue, backstory, or plot, rags on the male gender, white skin colored people, or both at the same time. A movie is not woke just because it has a female protagonist or a gay protagonist or whatever.
    The vast majority of male/white characters in woke movies are depicted as villains, oppressors, jokes, or are just pretty boys, while ALL female/gay characters in these movies are good, strong willed, heroic, or are just victims, pushing the idea that female and gay characters can do no wrong.

The Black Panther movie never ragged on white people. Never implied that white people are garbage. It was only the villain of the show that did. If the movie was woke like Wokemen, then the whole idea behind it was how white people are trash, and T'challa would have been the villain for thinking otherwise.

Fury Road never did it either. Sure, the villain was a male and white, but it was never implied that he's a representative of all.

Woke movies tend to have unattractive female characters because of the notion of the "male gaze", meaning that if the character is attractive, then it's being objectified by the straight male audience, and that's a no-no. Ironically, when the male characters are attractive and walk around half naked (Aquaman), then it's no problem, there is no such thing as the "female gaze".

The Alien movie was not woke. The Wonder Woman movie was not woke.

It stands to no surprise that the male audience doesn't want to pay $15 to get told they're trash.

And Turds of Prey would have probably got away with at least breaking even if Ewan McGregor ("husband of the year" who cheats on his wife) hadn't run his mouth off and said that the movie tackles misogyny and is a testament to female empowerment, thus instantly turning a lot of fans off the movie, who rightfully so considered that it's not a movie for them. And the female audience? Well women don't like violence in movies, so why would they be interested in watching Turds of Prey?
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-02-26 at 11:50 AM.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Disney is still busy with SW:

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    He delayed his retirement 4 times already, and now he's stepping down.

He didn't get booted, I'm not sure what it is you're trying to celebrate here, but he's ushered Disney into a VERY lucrative 15 year-run. Star Wars ain't their only cash cow, I hope you know. He will also remain for a while to make the transition smooth as an executive Chairman.

The man is 69 years old. Him retiring shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
    Did you read the part saying "Effective immediately" ?

Basically imagine Bob Iger sitting at his desk, and some guy storms into his office and says "Bob, put down the pen, and step away from the desk, you are no longer CEO".
    People who retire just don't renew their contracts, they don't get forcefully removed from their position and instantly replaced with someone else.

No, someone higher up than Bob Iger (which would be the shareholders) decided that he needs to retire right there and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post

Falling airplane? What reality do you live in? Disney is swimming in money.
    Why is this Jeezy clone allowed to have a screen name that is an obvious derogatory insult on Pete Buttigeg about his sexual orientation? Isn’t that against the TOS?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Disney is still busy with SW:
    Expected and fine, tbh. The franchise is still good, hence The Mandalorian. What is not good is the direction the franchise had until now. MAYBE they can do better with this series or whatever it is, if they fire Kathleen Kennedy. Thought apparently KK is tabula rasa at Disney, the Unfire-able.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Why is this Jeezy clone allowed to have a screen name that is an obvious derogatory insult on Pete Buttigeg about his sexual orientation? Isn’t that against the TOS?
    It has nothing to do with him. LMAO.
    https://twelve-forever.fandom.com/wiki/The_Butt_Witch

Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-02-26 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    sip
    I am one of those Scifi nerds who gets off on world building.

While the prequels had issues, they did an exceptional job at world building and have given a plethora of memorable scenes, sayings, characters who had far reaching impact on popular culture, for better or worse (Jar Jar).

Maul had 2 lines of dialog, 2 grunts and 2 fight scenes and even people who never seen the movies will instantly recognize him.

Obi-Wan's development was excellent.

While people complain about all the politics, the politics have given us Palpatine the shady, scheming, two faced politician.

Everyone remembers the locations like Naboo and Coruscant.

The Battle Droids and the Clones have become iconic.

All this akin to how instantaneously things like Vader, Yoda, the Emperor, Tatooine, Endor, Han&Luke&Leia, Millennium Falcon became iconic in their time.

The only things I can remember from Disney SW are a couple of places, characters and lines from Rogue One (which also gave the best battle scenes and did the most world building).

I can't remember a single place name from episodes 7-8-9 apart from Starkiller Base, Canto Bight (universally considered pointless) and Exogol...the unifying feature of all 3 is that they didn't make any sense.

I can't quote a single line of dialog and I haven't really seen any being quoted anywhere.

All the characters introduced in episodes 7 to 9 are mostly known for either having terrible character development for various reasons (wasted potential, illogical, pointless) and the old characters brought back are also mostly remembered for being butchered.

Are 7 to 9 technically and visually good? Sure, I guess. But it's not the Star Wars I am into (except Rogue One, Rogue One was good, not perfect but good).

So all I have for good post prequel content is the Clone Wars, The Mandalorian and to some extent Rebels.

It's odd how the Mandalorian seems to be universally liked.

You don't really know what a woke movie is.

Alright, let me instruct you.
    Nah, a woke movie is a film that doesn't have a white male lead and is therefore guilty of white genocide or whatever the angry YouTubers have moved on to. Black Panther was presented, praised and lamented as a woke film. Fury Road is ferociously woke with the antagonists being the epitome of toxic masculinity. The only reason to pretend otherwise is because it goes against your wokeness/brokeness rhyme scheme.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you read the part saying "Effective immediately" ?

Basically imagine Bob Iger sitting at his desk, and some guy storms into his office and says "Bob, put down the pen, and step away from the desk, you are no longer CEO".
    People who retire just don't renew their contracts, they don't get forcefully removed from their position and instantly replaced with someone else.

No, someone higher up than Bob Iger (which would be the shareholders) decided that he needs to retire right there and then.
    You know telling someone to imagine something isn't the same as presenting facts, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I am one of those Scifi nerds who gets off on world building.

While the prequels had issues, they did an exceptional job at world building and have given a plethora of memorable scenes, sayings, characters who had far reaching impact on popular culture, for better or worse (Jar Jar).

Maul had 2 lines of dialog, 2 grunts and 2 fight scenes and even people who never seen the movies will instantly recognize him.

Obi-Wan's development was excellent.

While people complain about all the politics, the politics have given us Palpatine the shady, scheming, two faced politician.

Everyone remembers the locations like Naboo and Coruscant.

The Battle Droids and the Clones have become iconic.

All this akin to how instantaneously things like Vader, Yoda, the Emperor, Tatooine, Endor, Han&Luke&Leia, Millennium Falcon became iconic in their time.

The only things I can remember from Disney SW are a couple of places, characters and lines from Rogue One (which also gave the best battle scenes and did the most world building).

I can't remember a single place name from episodes 7-8-9 apart from Starkiller Base, Canto Bight (universally considered pointless) and Exogol...the unifying feature of all 3 is that they didn't make any sense.

I can't quote a single line of dialog and I haven't really seen any being quoted anywhere.

All the characters introduced in episodes 7 to 9 are mostly known for either having terrible character development for various reasons (wasted potential, illogical, pointless) and the old characters brought back are also mostly remembered for being butchered.

Are 7 to 9 technically and visually good? Sure, I guess. But it's not the Star Wars I am into (except Rogue One, Rogue One was good, not perfect but good).

So all I have for good post prequel content is the Clone Wars, The Mandalorian and to some extent Rebels.

It's odd how the Mandalorian seems to be universally liked.
    The sequels were trash. They had no unifying plan and winged it, that explains Palpatine in the last moment (and not even explaining how he survived). I find it hilarious when KK said there's no source material to draw on, when JJ clearly borrowed elements from Dark Empire.

Nah, a woke movie is a film that doesn't have a white male lead and is therefore guilty of white genocide or whatever the angry YouTubers have moved on to. Black Panther was presented, praised and lamented as a woke film. Fury Road is ferociously woke with the antagonists being the epitome of toxic masculinity. The only reason to pretend otherwise is because it goes against your wokeness/brokeness rhyme scheme.
    Nah, it's about ragging on straight white men, or in many words, "Being aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

Nah, it's about ragging on straight white men, or in many words, "Being aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke
    Like Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Fury Road then...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    The sequels were trash. They had no unifying plan and winged it, that explains Palpatine in the last moment (and not even explaining how he survived). I find it hilarious when KK said there's no source material to draw on, when JJ clearly borrowed elements from Dark Empire.
    The issue was the middle film, it threw out any plot points of Force Awakens (forcing Rise of Skywalker to paint over the cracks) while also having a meandering, nonsensical and awfully paced plot reminiscent of some of DC's worst offerings. The kindest thing I can say is she clearly knew where she wanted the characters to be but really didn't care how they got there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Might want to take a look at that analysis I posted earlier regarding Mary Sues.
    I won't go into outright denying Rey's Mary Sue-ness, but her not having a hero's journey is at least debatable and her lack of internal struggle is plain false.

Disney can basically print money. It's weird how much some people want to rage, and get triggered at the idea that a main character isn't a straight, white male.

The issue was the middle film, it threw out any plot points of Force Awakens (forcing Rise of Skywalker to paint over the cracks) while also having a meandering, nonsensical and awfully paced plot reminiscent of some of DC's worst offerings. The kindest thing I can say is she clearly knew where she wanted the characters to be but really didn't care how they got there.
    It certainly threw a spanner in the works, and not a good one at that.

Though TFA was playing it too safe - introducing basically what was Empire vs Rebels Mk II. Can't forgive them for not putting Luke, Leia and Han together in the same scene.

Disney has a fuckload of other properties. They have Marvel. They have Fox.

Their movies are failing? Here is a list of the highest grossing films of all time. Three of the top ten was delivered by Disney in the last year alone and one more the year before. They own 13 of the top 20.

Their stocks are doing quite well if you look at it over the past few years. ( https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/dis ) They're falling over this week but so are all the stocks out there.

I get it, you hate Disney. It would be easier to just write that instead of inventing obvious falsehoods.