Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    You don't really know what a woke movie is.

Alright, let me instruct you.

A woke movie is a movie that through dialogue, backstory, or plot, rags on the male gender, white skin colored people, or both at the same time. A movie is not woke just because it has a female protagonist or a gay protagonist or whatever.
    The vast majority of male/white characters in woke movies are depicted as villains, oppressors, jokes, or are just pretty boys, while ALL female/gay characters in these movies are good, strong willed, heroic, or are just victims, pushing the idea that female and gay characters can do no wrong.

The Black Panther movie never ragged on white people. Never implied that white people are garbage. It was only the villain of the show that did. If the movie was woke like Wokemen, then the whole idea behind it was how white people are trash, and T'challa would have been the villain for thinking otherwise.

Fury Road never did it either. Sure, the villain was a male and white, but it was never implied that he's a representative of all.

Woke movies tend to have unattractive female characters because of the notion of the "male gaze", meaning that if the character is attractive, then it's being objectified by the straight male audience, and that's a no-no. Ironically, when the male characters are attractive and walk around half naked (Aquaman), then it's no problem, there is no such thing as the "female gaze".

The Alien movie was not woke. The Wonder Woman movie was not woke.

It stands to no surprise that the male audience doesn't want to pay $15 to get told they're trash.

And Turds of Prey would have probably got away with at least breaking even if Ewan McGregor ("husband of the year" who cheats on his wife) hadn't run his mouth off and said that the movie tackles misogyny and is a testament to female empowerment, thus instantly turning a lot of fans off the movie, who rightfully so considered that it's not a movie for them. And the female audience? Well women don't like violence in movies, so why would they be interested in watching Turds of Prey?
    All this just because you're mad the main character of a Star Wars trilogy was female.

Don't you have some Gillette razors to burn in protest?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    To be fair, the span between the events of ANH and ROTJ is several years.
    Of which the only other Jedi was yoda and Obi wan didn't interact with him most of the time. Ghosts can't teach physically and self taught is the obsolute worst way of learning you're going to do more harm than good.

So who taught Luke between ANH and Empire and between Empire and ROTJ? Self taught is more stupid than anything that anyone comes up with Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    All this just because you're mad the main character of a Star Wars trilogy was female.
    Or maybe it's the fact that she's a boring, bland, Mary-Sue kind of character who has little personality?

You don't see people bitching about Sigourney Weaver's character from the Alien films. Ellen Ripley was a great character and a billion times better than Rey.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    The only thing Disney has is The Mandalorian. Their themeparks are failing, their movies are failing, their stocks are dropping (https://www.google.com/search?q=disn...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Evidence, please.

Oh wait, you are full of shit. There's no need to lie to push your woke agenda.

https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-c...wns-worldwide/

Or maybe it's the fact that she's a boring, bland, Mary-Sue kind of character who has little personality?

You don't see people bitching about Sigourney Weaver's character from the Alien films. Ellen Ripley was a great character and a billion times better than Rey.
    Have you read his posts?

I'm not saying everyone that hates the new trilogies hates them because a female starred in them, I'm saying that specifically to that poster.

But thanks for jumping in.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

It certainly threw a spanner in the works, and not a good one at that.

Though TFA was playing it too safe - introducing basically what was Empire vs Rebels Mk II. Can't forgive them for not putting Luke, Leia and Han together in the same scene.
    They leaned way too hard into the nostalgia+ with TFA. You like orphans from desert planets? This one doesn't even have an uncle! You like moon-sized space stations destroying worlds? This one is planet-sized and destroys several worlds! You like small cute utility droids? This one is smaller and cuter!

Luke and Anakin were also boring as shit.

Before Jar Jar came out, most people seemed to find Luke to be the most annoying character. As for Rey, let's be honest... the writing for this trilogy was atrocious. The plot was total garbage. The movies were simply bad, and Rey being boring was only a very small part of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Of which the only other Jedi was yoda and Obi wan didn't interact with him most of the time. Ghosts can't teach physically and self taught is the obsolute worst way of learning you're going to do more harm than good.

So who taught Luke between ANH and Empire and between Empire and ROTJ? Self taught is more stupid than anything that anyone comes up with Rey
    That's still plenty of time, and it is canon now that Force ghosts can interact physically with the world. Yoda was still around between ESB and ROTJ.

Self-taught isn't so stupid when you have a sound base from which to work from, it's not like Luke started from nothing. And yes, self-taught is better than just mysteriously being stronger than beings like Yoda in no time at all.

Get woke go broke. I mean I don't really care if politics are put into movies in a hidden or creative way and the audiences discover it over time. Or if they run someone in parallel with the times told in a unique way. But Disney had become very up front and direct with it. To the point of it not being a message but an agenda instead. I bleed into everything in the company. It was on ESPN. It's in Marval. It's in Star Wars. ABC. Everything was built on this forceful push of a world view and fuck I even like and agree with that world view most the time (besides it extreme edge of nutcases). I get it orange man bad! I don't like him either! Ladies are great! Fuck yeah they are! Equality is cool! But I don't need it pounded into me while watching basketball highlights on ESPN. For me that is what Disney had become. A vertual singling company that would melt down franchises for a message they want to push.

I mean the man did a lot of good and I hate to see people lose thier jobs and positions but he will be ok. I just hope the company just focuses on entertainment. I can get my political commentary from 24 hour news networks of which I can pick which one to watch and shape my world view into me always being right and the world agrees because the talking head says so. I don't need it in beloved franchises unless it's done VERY tastefully. Disney lost the tastful part.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2020-02-26 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Luke and Anakin were also boring as shit.

Before Jar Jar came out, most people seemed to find Luke to be the most annoying character. As for Rey, let's be honest... the writing for this trilogy was atrocious. The plot was total garbage. The movies were simply bad, and Rey being boring was only a very small part of it all.
    Luke was never boring, lol. People could sympathise with his struggles and his triumphs. I'll give you Anakin in the first two movies, but the third one he was far more interesting than anything Rey has done. Scenes like Duel of the Fates will be remembered as some of the most iconic Star Wars scenes of all time - something that Rey fails to replicate.

Well of course, he wasn't as popular as Han or Chewie. But so what? That's no slight against him. And I'd argue that C-3PO was more annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Get woke go broke. I mean I don't really care if politics are put into movies in a hidden or creative way and the audiences discover it over time. Or if they run someone in parallel with the times told in a unique way. But Disney had become very up front and direct with it. To the point of it not being a message but an agenda instead. I bleed into everything in the company. It was on ESPN. It's in Marval. It's in Star Wars. ABC. Everything was built on this forceful push of a world view and fuck I even like and agree with that world view most the time (besides it extreme edge of nutcases). I get it orange man bad! I don't like him either! Ladies are great! Fuck yeah they are! Equality is cool! But I don't need it pounded into me while watching basketball highlights on ESPN. For me that is what Disney had become. A vertual singling company that would melt down franchises for a message they want to push.
    Star Wars was not a woke trilogy.
    '
    Are you insinuating Marvel is suffering?

Literally nothing you people think about these things is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Like Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Fury Road then...

- - - Updated - - -

The issue was the middle film, it threw out any plot points of Force Awakens (forcing Rise of Skywalker to paint over the cracks) while also having a meandering, nonsensical and awfully paced plot reminiscent of some of DC's worst offerings. The kindest thing I can say is she clearly knew where she wanted the characters to be but really didn't care how they got there.
    Captain Marvel was a tad boring for me, tho I found most of the Thor movies boring too (except Ragnarok which was genius), found the first Captain America movie cringey and didn't like any of the Iron Man movies after the first one, plus I think most of the backlash was because of the shit Brie Larson was saying in interviews not because of what was happening in the movie.

I loved Black Panther and I think Fury Road was an absolute masterpiece.

Still, every time I criticize stuff like the Ghostbusters reboot (it just wasn't funny), Disney SW there will be someone calling me sexist. It's like I am almost not allowed to not like and criticize movies if they are female centric, it doesn't matter that the reason I dislike the movie for has nothing to do with women. I'm not one of those anti SJW/anti-woke loons, but having to constantly defend that can get exhausting.

I haven't been called out in this specific thread, but holy shit it has happened many times.

And yes, Disney SW after Force Awakens had potential...but it was lit on fire and wasted completely by Rian Johnson and after that it just become a dumpster fire in damage control.

I mean the man did a lot of good and I hate to see people lose thier jobs and positions but he will be ok. I just hope the company just focuses on entertainment. I can get my political commentary from 24 hour news networks of which I can pick which one to watch and shape my world view into me always being right and the world agrees because the talking head says so. I don't need it in beloved franchises unless it's done VERY tastefully. Disney lost the tastful part.
    As has already been pointed out on this page, Disney is very, very far from going broke.

Luke was never boring, lol. People could sympathise with his struggles and his triumphs. I'll give you Anakin in the first two movies, but the third one he was far more interesting than anything Rey has done. Scenes like Duel of the Fates will be remembered as some of the most iconic Star Wars scenes of all time - something that Rey fails to replicate.

Well of course, he wasn't as popular as Han or Chewie. But so what? That's no slight against him. And I'd argue that C-3PO was more annoying.
    Luke was boring, and he was annoying. His lines were bland, and he sounded whiny. People can also sympathize with Rey's struggles... that doesn't mean she cannot also be boring.

Duel of the Fates was Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, not Anakin. It was a great scene, and had nothing to do with how fucking boring or terrible some of the characters were.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    As has already been pointed out on this page, Disney is very, very far from going broke.
    I also think anyone allowing the context of the statement to have meaning instead of focusing purely on the literial sees that it really has nothing to do with profit margins or bank accounts.

I also think anyone allowing the context of the statement to have meaning instead of focusing purely on the literial sees that it really has nothing to do with profit margins or bank accounts.
    This is akin to saying Disney is totally failing by being more popular, and making more money.

Disney has long been a company that pushed boundaries, whether people want to realize it, or not. Their target demographic is 10-year-old girls, and teenage boys (with Marvel).

They are doing just fine.

Luke was a whiny brat who got over the death of his aunt and uncle (who raised him) with barely a shrug but got really sad when the old man he knew for a few days died. He learned to use space magic because that old man told him he could, infiltrated the Empire's secret weapon/most heavily defended base pretty much on a whim to rescue a high-ranking prisoner and was an ace combat pilot because his poor-as-dirt ass could somehow afford a personal aircraft with the same control systems. Personally I struggle to relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Star Wars was not a woke trilogy.
    '
    Are you insinuating Marvel is suffering?

Literally nothing you people think about these things is true.
    You people? Hmmm.. Interesting..

Luke was boring, and he was annoying. His lines were bland, and he sounded whiny. People can also sympathize with Rey's struggles... that doesn't mean she cannot also be boring.

Duel of the Fates was Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, not Anakin. It was a great scene, and had nothing to do with how fucking boring or terrible some of the characters were.
    That's still more personality than robotic Rey... considering she didn't struggle all that much.

Oops, my bad. I was confusing that with "Heroes Collide", still, my point stands. You call Anakin boring, but he has one of the best fight scenes in SW under his belt. Rey doesn't even come close there.

This is akin to saying Disney is totally failing by being more popular, and making more money.

Disney has long been a company that pushed boundaries, whether people want to realize it, or not. Their target demographic is 10-year-old girls, and teenage boys (with Marvel).

They are doing just fine.
    You are right. The positive part of this is what I said has nothing to do with that.