Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Wait, is this going to be a new extended universe by Disney? Is it going to be novels? Films? New series? The announcement trailer isn't clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Revenge of the Sith is 10x the film any of the sequel trilogy films are.
    This, if I were to rank them, and I'm biased because Episode III got me into SW, but it'd be

1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. A New Hope
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Force Awakens

and the other 3 trash in irrelevant order.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Wait, is this going to be a new extended universe by Disney? Is it going to be novels? Films? New series? The announcement trailer isn't clear.
    Looks like it’s just gonna be a new period like the old republic with novels comics and Mabye shows down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Looks like it’s just gonna be a new period like the old republic with novels comics and Mabye shows down the line.
    They're trying to re-invent the wheel here. They discarded the EU to now create one presumably just as vast. Should have just made The Old Republic canon like someone said and spun off from that.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're trying to re-invent the wheel here. They discarded the EU to now create one presumably just as vast. Should have just made The Old Republic canon like someone said and spun off from that.
    Who said they aren't going the Old Republic?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Everyone praises that for some reason, but you know he is the one that made the prequel trilogy, which is faaaar worse then the new trilogy.
    And he also made the original trilogy which is still the best, why do you leave this out? Oh yeah, to push a narrative through a stupid strawman argument because we're on MMO-C.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Who said they aren't going the Old Republic?
    Looks like they're doing The High Republic with brand new stories, characters, and villains. Maybe it's Old Republic inspired, but it's like re-doing it all

7+ Year Old Account
    They already are making part of the old republic canon with likely more to come it’s not like making new stuff and working with the old republic are mutually exclusive.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like they're doing The High Republic with brand new stories, characters, and villains. Maybe it's Old Republic inspired, but it's like re-doing it all
    It’s really not like redoing it all, the old republic has the hight of the sith where they are a comparable if not greater force to the Jedi and the republic.

The high republic is after the s it h have died out and the rule of two is in place with the Jedi/republic jsut expanding.

One is a time of equal powers at war the other is one power taking more of the galaxy without anything to really stand in there way.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Is Filonis team in charge or being utilized in any way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Kyle Katarn or we riot

feminist movie series about Mara Jade will do, actually
    she's the captain marvel of SW
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

10+ Year Old Account
    High Republic takes place well before the Old Republic. Its post-Darth Bane. Think middle-aged Yoda/Yaddle, young Maz, baby Chewie, Darth Plagueis (or his master/masters master), Jabba? I don't know how old Jabba is. More Mandalorian stuff (I don't know when they went pacifists).

Its an era where the Jedi and Republic were dominant. Probably going to full of a bunch of Jedi romanticism with hints of Sith scheming since they are underground at this point. Its going to add some depth to the Jedi that isn't the broken fraction we see in the PT or the dead faction we see afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Is Filonis team in charge or being utilized in any way?
    Its only print stuff as of now. So books and comics.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-02-26 at 04:58 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    High Republic takes place well before the Old Republic. Its post-Darth Bane. Think middle-aged Yoda/Yaddle, young Maz, baby Chewie, Darth Plagueis (or his master/masters master), Jabba? I don't know how old Jabba is. More Mandalorian stuff (I don't know when they went pacifists).

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, well that's cool too I'm down for some new comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    Kyle Katarn or we riot

feminist movie series about Mara Jade will do, actually
    she's the captain marvel of SW
    No she's not. Her character is awesome, Rey is the mcu captain marvel of sw

This is extremely boring. Travel and expansion? That's not the point of "Star Wars". Oh my god...

KOTOR is so much better because this was the Sith at their height. Hence making the war between the Jedi and Sith that much more brilliant.

Everyone praises that for some reason, but you know he is the one that made the prequel trilogy, which is faaaar worse then the new trilogy.
    People like you should be chemically castrated to avoid the risk of polluting general population's gene pool with your retarded genes. Honestly, your comment is why Internet should be de-anonymized. I think your name should be known and every person you ever encountered would start ignoring you forever. Actually, I think people should just bash your face in whenever they saw your retardation anywhere in public.

If that was a troll statement, good fucking job. But something tells me you're just an inbred moron whose iq is somewhere around 50. If I had a choice to go back in time and either stop Hitler or 9/11 I'd take my fucking time and find you instead and choke you to death.

Here you might think, woah, the guy must be nuts. But I don't think any argument I can make can actually get through to your lobotomized brain. Seeing people like you makes me wish nazis continued their purge of retards. Go fucking hang yourself you worthless piece of trash.

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-02-26 at 06:44 PM.

Highly certain the High Republic takes place after the Old Republic, considering the Old Republic took place thousands of years before the Skywalker Saga, while the High Republic takes place 200 years prior.

- - - Updated - - -

Its an era where the Jedi and Republic were dominant. Probably going to full of a bunch of Jedi romanticism with hints of Sith scheming since they are underground at this point. Its going to add some depth to the Jedi that isn't the broken fraction we see in the PT or the dead faction we see afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Darth Bane, Revan, and Malgus were Old Republic. I think you meant to say "the Skywalker Saga"

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't this technically make KOTOR Canon? Or is it still non-canon?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    I wonder what the general consensus will be when the dust settles. To me the new films are worse than the prequels; the prequels are worse as films on a technical level, but much better as parts of a franchise. The ideas, the worldbuilding, the characters are much much better and they tell a coherent story. Lucas reclaiming control seems like a bad idea, but I would like to see a creative person - one person - given some executive oversight over the franchise.

This new stuff doesn't look good. Wonder how they'll factor Yoda into it.
    One thing I can give the prequels is as a trilogy they tell the most coherent story, even if I don't think they're as fun as the OT or even the new trilogy. It's the only one that felt like it had a story planned out from the start, without big retcons like Vader being luke's father, Leia his sister, etc. (Retcons aren't always bad but it's pretty obvious from the original script Vader was not meant to be Luke's father in the original.) Then you have the tug of war between JJ and RJ in the new trilogy.

There are things I like and dislike in all of the trilogies, even the OT isn't flawless especially outside of the context of its original release looking at it decades later, but generally I'd say OT > Sequel > Prequels. But the gaps for me aren't as huge as they are for a lot of people that seem to find no redeeming qualities in anything not from the OT.

Not even close. While I think entertainment wise the new ones are better for the most part(visuals better and not 6 hours of a senate meeting) they totally destroyed everything about the entire franchise including breaking the lore that they set up in the other new films. I think if JJ had not tried to rely on nostalgia for the Force Awakens and trying to clone and "upgrade" shit from the originals and created an actual film instead of just a cash grab Mockbuster the sequels may have ended up being great because the acting and visuals are all good its just when you think about anything it all falls apart.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post

Doesn't this technically make KOTOR Canon? Or is it still non-canon?
    Still non canon but it’s inching closer I’d be surprised if it wasn’t canonized in some form in the next year or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    As for the High Republic:

Knights of the Round Table styled Jedi fighting Space Vikings?

I'm 10000000% in.

Always happy to explore a new era of Star Wars. My only misgiving is it looks like they're coming out of the gate HARD. They're stressing that The High Republic will have a core group of heroes and tell an interconnected story...

I don't want to feel like I'm forced to watch 3 seperate shows (probably all on D+), read 5 comics per month and 3 novels a year just to understand the whole plot...
    Depends on how they approach it, with regards to the films. You never needed the supplementary stuff for the MCU films, but skipping MCU films could leave you confused about things when they crop up. As long as one media type isn't requiring you to be up to date with other media types (films expecting you to follow the books/comics/etc), I think it's fine.

Ideally, they approach it something like the MCU; tell individual stories, and then bring those characters together after they're established. I think it's a stronger narrative tool, if you're looking at building an epic (in the original narrative sense).

Also, Knights of the Round stories often revolve around the Knights being gigantic asshats. Lancelot, for instance, is a complete shithead. Saying "no Sith" is fine, but in that case, you need shithead Jedi fucking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    Just no more forced diversity for the sake of diversity. Make a good character and fans won't care if it's a trans lesbian atheist who does cross-fit.
    "Forced diversity" is a dogwhistle for racism.

It's one thing to complain about tokenism; a character who shows up to be all "I'm SUPER GAY, isn't it great?" and then fucks off, that's tokenism, and it's bad writing.

A character being a mixed-race trans lesbian atheist isn't bad writing, and you don't need to justify or explain any of that to make it "good writing". No more than you would if they were a white cishet true believer. That's not the "default setting" from which all deviation must be explained. If you've got a problem with the character not being a cishet white male, then that's a fault in you, not some fault with the character.

Take Rose Tico. The issue with her wasn't that she was Asian, or a girl. The issue was that Tran and Boyega didn't have much chemistry, and they tried to force that relationship, and it felt forced as a result. The whole point of introducing her was to create that relationship, and it didn't come together at all. What they should have done was have Finn and Poe fall into bed together; those two did have chemistry. It wouldn't have felt forced. And Finn and Poe being gay/bi isn't something you'd have to provide any explanation for, because there's nothing in the films that describes them as heterosexual.

The only reason I can see they didn't do that is international appeal, since there's a lot of homophobes out there.

5+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

This, if I were to rank them, and I'm biased because Episode III got me into SW, but it'd be

1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. A New Hope
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Force Awakens

and the other 3 trash in irrelevant order.
    It's going to be Disney saying that something isn't canon then turning around and using those ideas, plots and characters, just renaming them and saying it's their creation and part of their canon.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan