Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    sounds like a nation on drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Everyone praises that for some reason, but you know he is the one that made the prequel trilogy, which is faaaar worse then the new trilogy.
    imo the prequels are far superior to the latest trilogy,prequals had their bad moments,weird directing and acting,a little to much booring politics,but they had a clear vision a point A to point B and it was executed well,the new trilogy is just a mess in every aspect

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    >Star WARS
    >"lets not have it be about war"

Lucasfilm has completely lost the plot.
    There's an entire galaxy's worth of stories they could be telling, why should they only have it be about war just because that's the name of the franchise? The Mandalorian isn't about war, and everyone creamed their pants over that show.

Hell, Empire was hardly about the war at all, and that's the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    but they had a clear vision a point A to point B
    It's funny to me that this is the narrative we're going with now. As if "we already know where these characters have to be by the time the story is over" is somehow a point in Lucas's favor. Like...that's what it means to be a prequel. Or at least a direct prequel as those movies were.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-02-27 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    >Star WARS
    >"lets not have it be about war"

Lucasfilm has completely lost the plot.
    Yeah SW movies shall totally be stories revolving around stars making war against each others

There are plenty of interesting stories to tell which are not directly related to the War itself. High Republic seems to show, yes, a globally-peaceful era, but probably with the birth of Star Wars 1-9 threats (or any other though) . Not every story has to be "nuuuuh bad guys killing good guys" to be interesting. Setting up the actual war can be equally interesting.

I am glad they are going into a time that doesn't have a lot if any serious canon or legends connections. Stops that whole what I think and what was getting pitted against what is. Can just be a chain of stories that stand on their own.

One thing I feel that has plagued a lot of franchises recently is either they stumble all over canon to try to make a unique story which upsets one side of a fandom or they reboot the stories that were and piss all over stuff that was already available and now consider irrelevant. Then it becomes this cat fight between people mad about it not being how it was and people thinking it is better how it is now sort of thing. Sucks.

Although I know now that we are in this era of the internet we are in it will be endlessly hated on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    BE that as it may, in my eyes there's a clear difference.

Lucas gave us the original trilogy, and the prequels. 1 was universally good, 1 was either anywhere from decent to the worst thing ever (depending who u ask).
    Disney gave us the new trilogy, that everyone can agree sucks hard.

That gives Lucas 1:0.
    So with Lucas, IMHO, at least there's hope.

Ofc he might F it up too, but I at least give him a chance. I'd never give disney a chance for a new SW movie.
    Weird, last time I checked all 3 disney saga movies made over 1 billion and the only devicive seems to be The Last Jedi.
    Sure Rise was not what people had hoped for. But the vast majority still finds it entertaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I am glad they are going into a time that doesn't have a lot if any serious canon or legends connections. Stops that whole what I think and what was getting pitted against what is. Can just be a chain of stories that stand on their own.
    I still think it would've been better to skip forward 200 years, rather than go backward. They don't need to worry about technological leaps, because the Old Republic is basically the same as the film era, and that's thousands of years apart. Just jump forward enough to clear the plate, and then you have no restrictions. You can't introduce a Galaxy-ending threat in the High Republic era; we know the Galaxy [i]didn't[i] get destroyed, since the film era occurred. Move forward 200 years instead, with a Galaxy that's collapsed into competing feudal fiefdoms in the aftermath of the end of the Republic and the Empire both. That even fits better with the "knights of the round" feeling. They don't have to be at war with each other; treat it like Europe, where there are myriad friendly but distinct nations, with one or two causing problems at any given time.

We could see a fresh Jedi monastery finally pulling together enough members to begin sending Jedi out into the Galaxy again for reasons other than recruitment, some hint of the Skywalker legacy in there for nostalgia (by which I mean the name, via Rey, not any Skywalker bloodline horse shit). Like, maybe the head of the Monastery is called "The Skywalker", as a title, with the origins mostly forgotten unless you poke into the histories. We could deal with some resurgent Sith regime, or some other Dark Side thing entirely.

There's stuff they CAN'T really do in the High Republic, but the galaxy would've been wide open if they went forward instead.

It's hard to imagine anything worse than 7/8/9. So why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I still think it would've been better to skip forward 200 years, rather than go backward. They don't need to worry about technological leaps, because the Old Republic is basically the same as the film era, and that's thousands of years apart. Just jump forward enough to clear the plate, and then you have no restrictions. You can't introduce a Galaxy-ending threat in the High Republic era; we know the Galaxy [i]didn't[i] get destroyed, since the film era occurred. Move forward 200 years instead, with a Galaxy that's collapsed into competing feudal fiefdoms in the aftermath of the end of the Republic and the Empire both. That even fits better with the "knights of the round" feeling. They don't have to be at war with each other; treat it like Europe, where there are myriad friendly but distinct nations, with one or two causing problems at any given time.

We could see a fresh Jedi monastery finally pulling together enough members to begin sending Jedi out into the Galaxy again for reasons other than recruitment, some hint of the Skywalker legacy in there for nostalgia (by which I mean the name, via Rey, not any Skywalker bloodline horse shit). Like, maybe the head of the Monastery is called "The Skywalker", as a title, with the origins mostly forgotten unless you poke into the histories. We could deal with some resurgent Sith regime, or some other Dark Side thing entirely.

There's stuff they CAN'T really do in the High Republic, but the galaxy would've been wide open if they went forward instead.
    I do agree forward is better. Anytime you go back you can do things that don't make sense to have not heard of. Then the obvious thing in the room. Yoda will be there. So not 100 separation.

I'd much rather see Rey abandon the Jedi ways and take a balanced approach to the Force (as suggested by her yellow lightsabre blade,) then 200 years down the line her "grey Jedi" and your idea of competing fiefdoms could come under attack/pressure from Jedi/Sith fanatics who want to resurrect the old Republic/Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    It's hard to imagine anything worse than 7/8/9. So why not.
    You should check out 1, 2 and 3. Admittedly nothing as bad as episode 8 but still pretty dire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    You should check out 1, 2 and 3. Admittedly nothing as bad as episode 8 but still pretty dire.
    I'd rather spend 9 hours watching a pod race in episode 1 on repeat, than ever ever seeing 7/8/9 again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I'd much rather see Rey abandon the Jedi ways and take a balanced approach to the Force (as suggested by her yellow lightsabre blade,) then 200 years down the line her "grey Jedi" and your idea of competing fiefdoms could come under attack/pressure from Jedi/Sith fanatics who want to resurrect the old Republic/Empire.
    I wouldn't even reference Rey at all. Not even suggest she's responsible for the re-establishment of the Jedi. The only tie is the possible "Skywalker" title. Everything else is lost to history.

And while they'd be called "Jedi", they'd be starting from scratch, no dogma taken on blind faith. Plenty of room to tweak it, and definitely plenty of room for other interpretations of the Force beyond Jedi/Sith.

If they moved forward with it and the approach bombs, they might have to de-canonize it to be able to make a workable future film; it would have been a big risk and at this point I think it's fair to say that they don't have a good approach to Star Wars yet. To me it's much smarter to dig into the past, find their footing a bit, figure out the tone they want to use, then apply that to the future of the setting once they've had more proven successes.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you seriously call others racist and misandrist while crying over a diverse and inclusive cast? The projection is so strong in this one.
    Yes i did and it is clear you dont seem to understand the difference. I dont care if women or PoC are in it. Just make it a good character and no one should have a problem with it. But with diversity and inclusivity being their main issue it means white males will be made dumb, evil, abusive, weak etc (for example luke and hux), the last sw trilogy proves this. The women are made into overpowered, perfect, unlikable characters (rey for example, or captain marvel) and the PoC's are only there to score woke points (finn was comic relief, so much wasted potential with that char and rose, well lets no go there). So everyone gets insulted and downgraded and all the cost of a good story just to please some 'social justice groups'
    The point is that the story is used to promote agenda and politics, instead of using agenda and politics as tools to tell a good story. But sure go ahead, call me an ist and phobe and a nazi while you are at it, i dont care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caradras View Post
    Yes i did and it is clear you dont seem to understand the difference. I dont care if women or PoC are in it. Just make it a good character and no one should have a problem with it. But with diversity and inclusivity being their main issue it means white males will be made dumb, evil, abusive, weak etc (for example luke and hux), the last sw trilogy proves this.
    Luke was in no way any of those things.

Hux also turned out to not be so bad a guy, if you were paying any attention at all.

You're inventing a persecution complex. This is all in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Sorry to mess up your theory, but I think the new trilogy is far superior to the prequels, and I grew up with them. What sucks about the new trilogy is TLJ, in which another director did everything he could to undo the work of the director of TFA and TRS. As a result, the whole trilogy was messy, but what's in the first and third movie is much better than anything in the prequels.

Lucas also added the CGI scenes to the originals which absolutely, unequivocally, made them worse. It was Lucas' decision to fuck with classics.
    Every movie in the DT sucks hard.

TFA is a shitty retelling of ANH
    TLJ is TLJ
    TRoS is just a completely incoherent mess.

Luke was in no way any of those things.

Hux also turned out to not be so bad a guy, if you were paying any attention at all.

You're inventing a persecution complex. This is all in your head.
    You sure we seen the same movie? Because they totally were. Dont tell me its in my head because its on the screen, for all to see. You have to keep in mind the politcal motivations of the creators, kathleen kennedy and rian johnson. They set out to do exactly this.

But you are entitled to your opinion, as am i.

When I read the title I really really thought this was gonna be a star wars meets cheech and chong type spoof.

- P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caradras View Post
    You sure we seen the same movie? Because they totally were. Dont tell me its in my head because its on the screen, for all to see. You have to keep in mind the politcal motivations of the creators, kathleen kennedy and rian johnson. They set out to do exactly this.

But you are entitled to your opinion, as am i.
    It's literally not. You're making all this up. Kylo Ren's a white dude, and the trilogy is a redemption story for him. Luke achieves everything he ever wanted, and ascends into the Force on his own terms, having overcome his hangups. Even Hux tries to do the right thing, and was secretly one of the good guys (and thus faking incompetence, to let the rebels get away, the whole time).

You're ignoring what the films actually show, because you have this need to portray white dudes as somehow persecuted and downtrodden. Speaking as a white dude, you're out to lunch on that.

It's literally not. You're making all this up. Kylo Ren's a white dude, and the trilogy is a redemption story for him. Luke achieves everything he ever wanted, and ascends into the Force on his own terms, having overcome his hangups. Even Hux tries to do the right thing, and was secretly one of the good guys (and thus faking incompetence, to let the rebels get away, the whole time).

You're ignoring what the films actually show, because you have this need to portray white dudes as somehow persecuted and downtrodden. Speaking as a white dude, you're out to lunch on that.
    I dont have this 'need' you speak of, it is blatantly obvious what the movies are trying to show. that you choose not to see is up to you. it is funny that different people can see the same movies and take something entirely different from it. Also i dont know what you mean with your last remark 'out to lunch?'

You are ignoring that rian johnson was removed from the starwars and another director was hired to try fix up the mess he made of it. At this point Kathleen kennedy was also sidelined to save whatever was left to save from starwars. So the majority of the last movie was trying to fix the second movie. Most, if not all setups were undone by the third. Luke still failed as a jedi, failed building a new jedi order, failed his friends, left evil run rampant through the galaxy. Kylo ren murdered his father, a village, tried murder his mother just to change his mind later? He was the supreme leader of the first order, the most evil force at that point.

Also iam mainly speaking about the first and second movie. Iam not gonna bother see the last one after the mess that was made of the other 2 movies.
    Last edited by Caradras; 2020-02-27 at 11:24 PM.