Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hitting New Zealand and Nigeria now.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh..Oregon confirms first case of coronavirus, third case with unknown origin

The hits keep coming.
    oh..didn't you hear?? it's now a hoax created by the Democrats. According to Trump. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    Meanwhile millions of Americans still want this guy to be president for another 4 years.
    I'm seriously questioning the sanity of his supporters...
    How on earth can ANYONE believe this crap when it's a horrible reality. T.T
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76
    Now..just when you thought this man couldn't get any dumber on what he says.
    Let's leave that in the politics sub forum, OK? It isn't that I disagree, it is simply that there are whole threads on that point and COVID-19 is looking like there will be more than enough bullcrap to spread around.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    Let's leave that in the politics sub forum, OK? It isn't that I disagree, it is simply that there are whole threads on that point and COVID-19 is looking like there will be more than enough bullcrap to spread around.
    true true. i do find it very very hard how he can claim it as a hoax. it's beyond mind boggling

- - - Updated - - -

ok. i posted the post in the politics forum to discuss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76
    ok. i posted the post in the politics forum to discuss.
    Appreciated, thanks.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Appreciated, thanks.
    I just wanted to put the initial thing about him calling it a hoax. :P

On another linked thing, they say Xi's handling of this is an epic fail. T.T
    I think he's trying hard to deal with the situation, but that's me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I just wanted to put the initial thing about him calling it a hoax. :P

Those two aren't really mutually exclusive though to be fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Quite literally, in this scenario.

But I'm not referring only to preventing the further spread of the disease; I'm referring to the incubation ground for it to begin with. Why are extremely unsanitary locations with zero hygiene protocol dealing in the trade of exotic animals like where the virus originated from even allowed to exist? Where was that tremendous Chinese government overreach in preventing the virus from mutating in the first place?

All of this after-the-fact crackdown negatively impacting the day-to-day lives and industry of millions of people in China might have been completely avoided, and thousands of lives saved, if these markets simply weren't allowed to exist and some notion of basic hygiene protocol was more broadly instilled in the people working similar industries. I wouldn't personally call "the right to buy exotic, possibly endangered animals abducted from their habitats to be pets (or food)" an inalienable human right, and I don't imagine there'd be much outcry surrounding China's government using an ounce of that authoritarian power to crack down on these areas or areas like them.

And sure, I get it. Chaos theory, the whole "you can't stop an act of nature," etc, etc. But other countries like the US have their share of extremely dangerous zoonotic diseases (Rabies, the Hanta virus and Anthrax come to mind for the US specifically, all of which are serious business and far more deadly than the coronavirus) and yet... cases of those diseases are few and far between, almost nonexistent, in fact. Because a good deal of prevention has been taken to dealing with them, and preventing these disease vectors from ever forming.

So yes, I'd say there was a great deal of mismanagement within the Chinese government from the outset regarding this situation.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-02-29 at 06:30 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Things have gone to such extremes that one city in Hubei is offering 1,400$ for anyone showing symptoms and turn out to be infected. *with the chance of dying...would be nice to have some enjoy cash on hand* Very interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

hmm..according to this, India only has 3 cases...that doesn't seem right. I thought it was MUCH MUCH higher. lol

2400...the number is going up by 100s every other day it seems.
    It's at 3150 now.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200229003200320

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200228009751320

South Korea reported the first case of reinfection by the new coronavirus Saturday amid mounting concerns over the rapid rise in virus infections here.

A South Korean woman tested positive for COVID-19 a second time, even after being released from quarantine, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

The 73-year-old woman, who was diagnosed with the virus earlier in the month, was released from a hospital on Feb. 22 after making a full recovery.

She started showed symptoms again Thursday and was found to have contracted the illness again Friday, the public health agency said.

"People normally would have become immune against the virus after being infected for the first time. The patient, however, may have a weak immune system due to her age," a KCDC official said.

The official added it is also possible the virus was not fully eradicated from the patient in the first place.

This is the first time in South Korea that a person has been infected a second time with COVID-19 after being discharged.

The woman had not traveled abroad, although her son and daughter-in-law had recently been to China's Guangdong Province, and both had contracted the virus.

Local health authorities said that the woman claimed she had stayed indoors after her release.

The KCDC said it is carrying out a close observation on the case and added there were 10 similar cases reported in China, the global epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak.

South Korea reported a whopping 594 additional cases of the new coronavirus to bring total infections to 2,931 as of Saturday morning.

So far, 17 virus patients have died from the virus that emerged in China late last year.

South Korea said it will review revising its guidelines for people being released from quarantine following the new infection.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2020-02-29 at 08:21 AM.

China currently has 37,000 ish active cases and 39,000 ish recovered.
    That is crazy!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    It's at 3150 now.

[/i]
    You guys now have a daily increase a bit over China's daily increase.

10+ Year Old Account
    China currently has 37,000 ish active cases and 39,000 ish recovered.
    That is crazy!!

- - - Updated - - -

You guys now have a daily increase a bit over China's daily increase.
    Its propaganda. Numbers in China are much higher.

In other news:

I mean, its not a "nothing burger" but the way you're all going on about it you'd think the reported cases would be in the millions already. Find it so weird to come back to this thread and have people decrying "another few hundred cases confirmed". I'm no seer but I'd have thought it would have to be factors more dangerous for it to come close to "top killer of 2019".

Its like in the 80s when we were all gonna die of AIDS or the 90s when we were all gonna die of mad cow disease. At this stage if anyone is to blame for the lack of "giving a shit" over this latest pandemic its the media for being such dishonest bits of shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Hopefully there won't be another pandemic out of China after this one.

15+ Year Old Account
    As an asian man in Norway this has to be the worst time to get the regular flu. Oh well, guess I will work from home a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I mean, its not a "nothing burger" but the way you're all going on about it you'd think the reported cases would be in the millions already. Find it so weird to come back to this thread and have people decrying "another few hundred cases confirmed". I'm no seer but I'd have thought it would have to be factors more dangerous for it to come close to "top killer of 2019".

Its like in the 80s when we were all gonna die of AIDS or the 90s when we were all gonna die of mad cow disease. At this stage if anyone is to blame for the lack of "giving a shit" over this latest pandemic its the media for being such dishonest bits of shit
    Although I agree the news do blow things out of proportion, you may want to use another example as AIDS killed millions of people. The attitude of not giving a shit is what lead to millions of people dying because the people in charge thought it was not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    That is golden
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

One confirmed death in the US.
    News just broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    One confirmed death in the US.
    News just broke.
    Yep, in my state. Wonderful.

Luckily I'm a distance away from King County, I'm over on the Kitsap/Olympic peninsula.