Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Well... /10char
    Too bullshit to be true. Right up the BBC's and chibnals street

What a total chunk of shit they've turned this show into.

The last couple of episodes made up for the season as a whole. It go so preachy in the middle. Like, I get it, we're killing the planet, you only have to say that once.

Other than that I think it's interesting how they've made the Doctor not a Gallifrayan and where they go with this. Also the Doctor was never bound by the regeneration limits so the episode on Christmas has kinda gone out the window.
    RETH

The twist overall is sort of whatever. It doesn't change much realistically.

Im just annoyed that once again all the timelords are dead. So the over arching plotline from ninth through twelfth doctors is effectly all for naught. The timelords are all still dead but i guess this time the doctor won't feel guilty.... The Doctor being a different race with more lives to explore could be interesting? But we're back to square one of the revival with the doctor being the last (or missing atleast) their race. Its just not the timelords anymore.

The name for the Doctors mum and the original name for the Gallifrayans both sounded dumb. Minor point but i found it annoying.

holy shit. new whos never eneded on a cliffhanger like that!

im fully convinced jo martins doctor is inbetween 2 and 3 now and i really really like the way this played out compared to the cartmell master plan. although at the moment it feels like a non impactful change.

like they almost played it too safe. anyone worried the doctor is now special or has a "stacked deck" dont really have anything to worry about because the only thing that made the timeless child special was something the doctor could do all along and who they are hasnt changed because the mind wipe still makes the doctor the doctor.

but there is SO many places this could go now.

why did they wipe the doctors mind? why was the doctor abandoned?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

im fully convinced jo martins doctor is inbetween 2 and 3 now and i really really like the way this played out compared to the cartmell master plan. although at the moment it feels like a non impactful change.

like they almost played it too safe. anyone worried the doctor is now special or has a "stacked deck" dont really have anything to worry about because the only thing that made the timeless child special was something the doctor could do all along and who they are hasnt changed because the mind wipe still makes the doctor the doctor.

All questions that are irrelevant as they wont be answered in a logical sense. Dr who has turned into fan fiction.

Also about 20 other questions need to be answered first aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    The name for the Doctors mum and the original name for the Gallifrayans both sounded dumb. Minor point but i found it annoying.
    Very much agree on that second part... Sounds a LOT like an Aussie work for redneck, had me laughing every time they said it.

Overall, though. REALLY enjoyed this episode, and this season as a whole. Honestly, this was probably my favourite season since Matt Smith left.

The reveals were very interesting and I can't wait to see where they go with them. Really enjoying Dhawan's take on the Master, pure Chaos.

My only real issues, dumb names aside:

1: Was kind of hoping the Cyber Masters would hang around a bit longer. It's been a while since we've had a great new villain and these seemed like they had HUGE potential.

2: That scene with Graham and Yaz was dumb... Where he just randomly starts talking about how awesome she is, and how he thinks she's better than the Doctor. Just seemed like something Moffat would have written for Clara. I mean, he delivered the speech well, and his joke about her response was spot on... but the whole speech just felt weak. As he was saying it, I thought to myself "Oh yeah. One of these two is totally dead." which would have made it a BIT beter... but nope.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Very much agree on that second part... Sounds a LOT like an Aussie work for redneck, had me laughing every time they said it.

Overall, though. REALLY enjoyed this episode, and this season as a whole. Honestly, this was probably my favourite season since Matt Smith left.

The reveals were very interesting and I can't wait to see where they go with them. Really enjoying Dhawan's take on the Master, pure Chaos.

1: Was kind of hoping the Cyber Masters would hang around a bit longer. It's been a while since we've had a great new villain and these seemed like they had HUGE potential.

2: That scene with Graham and Yaz was dumb... Where he just randomly starts talking about how awesome she is, and how he thinks she's better than the Doctor. Just seemed like something Moffat would have written for Clara. I mean, he delivered the speech well, and his joke about her response was spot on... but the whole speech just felt weak. As he was saying it, I thought to myself "Oh yeah. One of these two is totally dead." which would have made it a BIT beter... but nope.
    I think what annoyed me the most about it is Gallifrayans didn't need a new name and the named Gallifrayans could have been called the whatever.

But i agree, i liked the episode itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    I think what annoyed me the most about it is Gallifrayans didn't need a new name and the named Gallifrayans could have been called the whatever.

But i agree, i liked the episode itself.
    Yeah, that was kinda dumb... I'd have liked them to explain WHY the Gallifreyans decided to rename themselves. Other than "Because they've been called Time Lords since day one, so we had to include that bit.

I'm really hoping next season is going to be all about answering those questions.

An I REALLY hope he's actually got a plan for it, an doesn't fuck it up...

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

I feel like the mind wipe was sort of explained when the Master said "they wanted a Founding myth" so any history tied to the truth needed to be forgotten. Since im assuming the Doctor in truth isn't limited by the 12 regeneration thing they needed to wipe the doctor's mind every dozenth regeneration to keep the lie going.

This could mean interesting things for the 11th to 12th generation since the time lords "gifted him that"
    Last edited by Newname1234567890; 2020-03-01 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    The last couple of episodes made up for the season as a whole. It go so preachy in the middle. Like, I get it, we're killing the planet, you only have to say that once.

Other than that I think it's interesting how they've made the Doctor not a Gallifrayan and where they go with this. Also the Doctor was never bound by the regeneration limits so the episode on Christmas has kinda gone out the window.
    I thought about this, but I guess after they wiped her mind they probably modified her genes as well to cap her regenerations in order to make her “normal” like the rest of the Time Lords.

still no mention of missy or that progression between the two of them
    how does river song work now?
    they just announced the daleks are going to play a part in the new christmas/new years special so what do the daleks have to do with the judoon?

someone on another site said it wouldve been better to just have the person who found the doctor be rassilon and i kind of agree with that.

they implied the stuff with the baby in ireland was the doctor but explained nothing.

what was that? a matrix cover up memory? why was it so significant? also the preview summary for the next special implies the companions are back. i kind of wished they had ended it like that. the companions thinking the doctor sacrificed themselves for them. especially after the whole were gonna die speeches that ended up having no real impact

we all know the master isnt dead dead so im curious to see how that gets addressed if at all (if not chibbers someone else will bring back the master its inevitable)

everything from the leaks were entirely correct.

what about susan? the doctors lines implies they forced them to become a baby again so i suppose its possible he could grow to have children/grandchildren but i also wouldnt put it past them to make susan some sort of secret member of "the division" perhaps thats why she ran off with the doctor, to keep an eye on the "timeless child"

- - - Updated - - -

i assume the master (and perhaps some timelord cybermen?) escaped with his tardis

- - - Updated - - -

also something i noted this whole episode is i think the master WANTED the doctor to kill him.

he seemed disappointed the particle didnt go off. he wanted the doctor to set it off
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

when Doctor had limited numebr of lives :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSK1APQu6K4

when doctor is stronk independedn woman with limitless lives - "kk you ded, bayo"

Attempting to detail with discussion of forbidden topics isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-03-03 at 06:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

The term "Shabogan" is pretty old in Doctor Who canon - all the way back to the Fourth Doctor (Baker) serials set on Gallifrey. Basically the term used for native Gallifreyans who weren't Time Lords or Ladies, living on the fringe of the Citadel of the Time Lords to eke out a more basic subsistence. The use in "The Timeless Children" basically hearkens back to those serials.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    I thought about this, but I guess after they wiped her mind they probably modified her genes as well to cap her regenerations in order to make her “normal” like the rest of the Time Lords.
    I'm actually of a mind that the Time Lords probably didn't want to tamper overly with the template for regeneration, just in case something happened to the genetic imprimatur that Tecteun devised for regeneration or it had to be refreshed. I think it's likely that the Time Lords didn't bestow the 11th Doctor with another set of regnerations but more just an influx of artron energy that both prompted a "natural" regeneration and allowed Eleven to expel the excess energy as a weapon to destroy the Dalek fleet at Trenzalore (explaining why Eleven's regeneration was so massively destructive whereas Twelve's was more or less subdued or standard, albeit still destructive). The Doctor just thought it was a new cycle of regenerations and the other Time Lords were still keen on maintaining the party line (or perhaps even they didn't know the energy was unnecessary).

- - - Updated - - -

Unrelated to the above,

Was the prison complex where the Doctor was transmatted to at the end of "The Timeless Children" supposed to be Shada? It certainly looked like an updated version of it.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The term "Shabogan" is pretty old in Doctor Who canon
    Yup. But Bogan is an Aussie word for redneck, so it makes me laugh *Shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Yup. But Bogan is an Aussie word for redneck, so it makes me laugh *Shrug*
    Makes some sense given how the Time Lords think of the native Gallifreyans - rustic, uneducated, and lacking the genetic augmentations of the Time Lords. I'd imagine the term "Shabogan" is pretty much equal to "redneck" to the Time Lords.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Wow, what a stupid episode. Let's literally ignore all Dr Who lore, including the fact the Dr also had the 12 regeneration limit and was given more regenerations by timelords. Oh, and is literally 100% genetically a timelord.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, I don't think anyone is worried about the "dr is now special." the dr lost any meaning of special. Also, it completely ruins the whole trenzalore storyline, or how Timelords granted him regeneration. Oh, and it contradicts literally all established lore, which has been backed up in multiple places.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post

Since the Doctor didn't know about this then at the time he'd definitely be holding off. Also it seems that basically anyone NOT Rassilon would have been unaware. Then again the Master might have been lied to in the situation and he's the timeless one.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Wow, what a stupid episode. Let's literally ignore all Dr Who lore, including the fact the Dr also had the 12 regeneration limit and was given more regenerations by timelords. Oh, and is literally 100% genetically a timelord.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, I don't think anyone is worried about the "dr is now special." the dr lost any meaning of special. Also, it completely ruins the whole trenzalore storyline, or how Timelords granted him regeneration. Oh, and it contradicts literally all established lore, which has been backed up in multiple places.
    Not really sure why Trenzalore thing is something that people bring up as the main contradiction for the whole thing. It never made sense that Time Lords suddenly decide to listen to Clara, a random human who has no history with their kind besides the Doctor, and come out of their bubble just to grant Doctor extra lives. As far as I know, Time Lords don't FEEL how many regenerations they've got left, they just keep track of how many faces they've had and they know 12 is their final one. Doctor lived his entire known life thinking he's limited to 12 so when he reached the number he was waiting it out expecting to die as he wasn't aware of having any regenerations left, when Clara asked Time Lords for help they knew they had to interfere in order to keep the secret going and pretend to give him extra lives, or perhaps he really did have only 12 regenerations after they mind wiped him but after Trenzalore they removed the lock and returned him to the Timeless Child state with infinite number of them. Out of all the things to complain about regarding the Timeless Child, Trenzalore is one of the easiest things to explain.

Personally, I don't mind this at all. I actually really liked this season as a whole and I was really worried/scared for the future of the show after Ruth was introduced, however I've grown to like the idea of it since the Judoon episode, I feel like it adds a lot more potential to Doctor Who than ever before and there's so much interesting things they can explore down the road, in and outside of the show itself be it Big Finish or future spin-offs. I would've liked it more if the Master was the Timeless Child instead, but genuinely do not have a problem with it being the Doctor. My one gripe with the episode is that I wish Captain Jack was sitting in the same cell as the Doctor on the end of the episode.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Chibnall made out Doctor Ruth would change everything.
    Reality any actor could have played the role, As it turned out Jo Martin did a really good job.
    RTD destroyed gallifrey moffat brought it back even basing the entire anniversary around it.
    Chibnall went and destroyed it again, Nothing groundbreaking and just like he axed UNIT robbing the show of good material.

Week on Week Yaz has a heart to heart.
    Graham acts the goat
    Ryan either argues with the doctor or given a storyline that highlights how weak an actor Tosin is.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Not really sure why Trenzalore thing is something that people bring up as the main contradiction for the whole thing. It never made sense that Time Lords suddenly decide to listen to Clara, a random human who has no history with their kind besides the Doctor, and come out of their bubble just to grant Doctor extra lives. As far as I know, Time Lords don't FEEL how many regenerations they've got left, they just keep track of how many faces they've had and they know 12 is their final one. Doctor lived his entire known life thinking he's limited to 12 so when he reached the number he was waiting it out expecting to die as he wasn't aware of having any regenerations left, when Clara asked Time Lords for help they knew they had to interfere in order to keep the secret going and pretend to give him extra lives, or perhaps he really did have only 12 regenerations after they mind wiped him but after Trenzalore they removed the lock and returned him to the Timeless Child state with infinite number of them. Out of all the things to complain about regarding the Timeless Child, Trenzalore is one of the easiest things to explain.

Personally, I don't mind this at all. I actually really liked this season as a whole and I was really worried/scared for the future of the show after Ruth was introduced, however I've grown to like the idea of it since the Judoon episode, I feel like it adds a lot more potential to Doctor Who than ever before and there's so much interesting things they can explore down the road, in and outside of the show itself be it Big Finish or future spin-offs. I would've liked it more if the Master was the Timeless Child instead, but genuinely do not have a problem with it being the Doctor. My one gripe with the episode is that I wish Captain Jack was sitting in the same cell as the Doctor on the end of the episode.
    I mean, before Clara interfered, he did die of old age on Trenzalore, which kinda proves the whole regeneration thing.

Also, River Song also proves the timelords were created by the untempered Schism.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!