Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    More proof that China's numbers were bullshit with this kind of growth....
    If you run the numbers the virus is actually spreading slower than it was in China.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    More confirmed cases reduces the mortality rate, however.
    Not if the mortality ratio remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    More confirmed cases reduces the mortality rate, however.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    if you are a averagely healthy person, this virus is no worse then the cold. the death rate is massively inflated and dropping daily. because the symptoms are non existent or VERY mild in a huge amount of cases, many who get it, never have it reported or counted. this causes the death rate to inflate.
    yes just like with every other virus, the point being, the death rate isnt even close to accurate, this is way it has been dropping every single day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    No more than any other flu since it is being blown way put of proportion by everyone and every country.

welp..umm...oops?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/03/who-...y-thought.html

WHO says coronavirus death rate is 3.4% globally, higher than previously thought

World health officials say the case fatality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%.
    “Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

The US currently has the highest death count/confirmed cases ratio .

119 cases, 9 deaths. That's a 7.56% death rate

Besides the few counties that only have a couple of reported cases and 1 or 2 deaths like the Philippines.
    Last edited by Poe; 2020-03-03 at 11:31 PM.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

welp..umm...oops?

WHO says coronavirus death rate is 3.4% globally, higher than previously thought

World health officials say the case fatality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%.
    “Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva.
    that does not change or impact my statements. it stands to reason, people with the very mild and moderate cases go without being detected. People with severe symptoms are much more likely to be caught. Because severe symptoms are being detected more often vs mild ones, it projects a higher severity of the illness. This will massively impact all statistics. its the same reason its hard to know how many people get a cold on any given year, we can guess, but its impossible to know, because huge amounts dont go to the doctor, their illness never gets accounted for.

the key word in that statement is "REPORTED". With any illness that has VERY mild symptoms in MOST cases, reporting will be low. Add in stigma around COVID in countries like China and Korea causing an unwillingness to come forward, this creates numbers that are near meaningless. The WHO can only release what numbers they have, that is obvious, but it doesn't make those numbers even close to representative of reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post

Besides the few counties that only have a couple of reported cases and 1 or 2 deaths like the Philippines.
    blame the Washington elderly care home. Where like 6 or 7 of the deaths happened, in addition the fact that the virus has been spreading in washington but not reported at all, this means there are FAR more then 119 cases in the US. We just dont know.

I don't want to downplay those deaths, but with a relatively small number like 119 infected you'll never get a 'representative' death toll. This has nothing to do with the US. That being said, I hope noone else dies, but that's not going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

welp..umm...oops?

That's actually pretty terrifying.

More proof that China's numbers were bullshit with this kind of growth....
    Or... Authoritarian governments that couldn't give less a fuck about personal freedoms are really good at imposing quarantines.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    this isn't how the law works.
    oh no chile just reported it's first case. one of my battlenet friends is from there.
    How does the law works. Please enlighten me.

that does not change or impact my statements. it stands to reason, people with the very mild and moderate cases go without being detected. People with severe symptoms are much more likely to be caught. Because severe symptoms are being detected more often vs mild ones, it projects a higher severity of the illness. This will massively impact all statistics. its the same reason its hard to know how many people get a cold on any given year, we can guess, but its impossible to know, because huge amounts dont go to the doctor, their illness never gets accounted for.

the key word in that statement is "REPORTED". With any illness that has VERY mild symptoms in MOST cases, reporting will be low. Add in stigma around COVID in countries like China and Korea causing an unwillingness to come forward, this creates numbers that are near meaningless. The WHO can only release what numbers they have, that is obvious, but it doesn't make those numbers even close to representative of reality.
    its all relative to other stats. The same thing can be said for the flu for which all this is being compared to. Nothing you are stating is unique to this virus vs the flu.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post

Even if its 1/3rd the number its still terrifying
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker
    Note the catch to that figure though. The next paragraph of that article goes on to state:

The World Health Organization had said last week that the mortality rate of COVID-19 can differ, ranging from 0.7% to up to 4%, depending on the quality of the health-care system where it's treated. Early in the outbreak, scientists had concluded the death rate was around 2.3%.
    More broadly, I found this to be an interesting article: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/03/h...ons/index.html

The article itself may be worth a read, it is a bit long to block quote though. The parts I found interesting were:

It isn't so much that H1N1 burned out like SARS, it just got folded in with seasonal flu (and checking other sources it appears H1N1 is part of the seasonal flu shot now).
    The H1N1 flu strain caused a pandemic in 2009, and now it has become a seasonally occurring virus.
    The closing point of the article seems to suggest that even if COVID-19 doesn't burn out like SARS there may well be a point that people themselves burn out on it. Who talks about H1N1 these days?

The most common resolution is a "global amnesia," Markel said. The virus winds down and the public goes back to their regular lives, not thinking about the outbreak.
    For another interesting read: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/03/o...ips/index.html
    That's an ER doctor's opinions on how things look going into a possible broader outbreak of COVID-19 in the US. I see he discusses telemedicine but unlike what was mentioned in a previous post he doesn't seem to say there is a clear CDC plan for people to call in. He does address a point that I've had particular concerns about in the US context (where my 80 year old high risk parents live):
    Meanwhile, employers large and small must enact public health measures, part of which should include requirements that sick employees stay home and guarantees that they will not be penalized for doing so.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Korea is saying 90% of the situation will be better after a few weeks and that cases have peaked. I don't think cases have peaked yet there..
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Anyone seen these videos out of Iran, doesnt look good.
    What videos? What's in them?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    What videos? What's in them?
    https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/stat...69785386717184

loads of dead peeps

But if you look at https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Theres only 77 confirmed dead out of 2000+ cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, employers large and small must enact public health measures, part of which should include requirements that sick employees stay home and guarantees that they will not be penalized for doing so.
    In the US, restaurant and retail employees don't get insurance or benefits, can't afford to go to a doctor, much less take days off. "will not be penalized", hehe, welcome to At-Will employment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Or... Authoritarian governments that couldn't give less a fuck about personal freedoms are really good at imposing quarantines.
    Funny thing about absolute lockdown quarantines is that it's difficult to get numbers of infection and recovery (and deaths), and that's assuming China even plans to report accurate infection numbers. Because if their authoritarian rule isn't enough to halt the spread, then they sure as hell won't make themselves look weak or ineffectual by admitting its out of their control. Remember Chernobyl as an example, authoritarian governments usually refuse to look powerless in front of the world or especially their own people, even if the world and their people suffer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Korea is saying 90% of the situation will be better after a few weeks and that cases have peaked. I don't think cases have peaked yet there..
    Lol right

They had over 800 new cases today alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    yikes man .WTF
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster
    In the US, restaurant and retail employees don't get insurance or benefits, can't afford to go to a doctor, much less take days off.
    Ya missed one. People working for tips are even more SOL, and have a nice day because they're the ones directly around your food.

For extra fun, anyone with possible immigration issues will probably also be largely invisible to the health care system as this ramps up. I expect a lot of social issues to bite us in the ass, but don't worry ... Pence is on it! /cry
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    Ya missed one. People working for tips are even more SOL, and have a nice day because they're the ones directly around your food.

For extra fun, anyone with possible immigration issues will probably also be largely invisible to the health care system as this ramps up. I expect a lot of social issues to bite us in the ass, but don't worry ... Pence is on it! /cry
    pences main policy objective is trying to accelerate the rapture right?

Lol right

They had over 800 new cases today alone.
    I don't foresee the the virus peaking for sometime...unless they manage to contain cases, which it sounds like is in process. T.T
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

welp..umm...oops?

I bet that number is heavily weighted in China since they aren't as healthy due to their environment.