Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    The PTSD hit right home with that.

I'm in the process of reclearing FFX in a new save file just so I can get that Al Bhed book during the Home sequence which, once you miss, you can't go back to.
    Been there..

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    I'm still the loner kid hoping for a remake like this of VI….
    You are not alone, friend.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Literally no one would use that definition that you pulled out your ass bud.

Hell where is Val the Moofia? Go tell that man Trails games aren't complete games because the damn saga spans 9 games at this point with a 10th on the way this year. Each of those games has more content then original FFVII does by a long shot to mind you lmao.

The Last of Us wasn't a complete game because it got a sequel 7 years later!

FFX wasn't a complete game it got a sequel!

Hell don't get me started on Kingdom Hearts, maybe it will be a complete game when Nomura eventually retires and stops expanding the story to even more ridiculous lengths each time he touches it.

Or even critically acclaimed games like Spiderman and God of War that literally ended both games with sequel bait. They weren't complete either!

What about TV and Movies does this asinine logic apply to them as well? Is a season not complete if the show is made with multiple seasons in mind? Is a movie not complete if it is made with sequels in mind? The hobbit was 1 book made into 3 movies did that get you really mad it wasn't a "complete" 9 hour movie? Ya I'm done here lol.

Whether it's a complete game or not will be judged by the amount of content in the game, not due to the fact they wanted to expand the world, story and characters into a longer adventure and are doing it over multiple games.
    I think what he's trying to say is, a lot of people would have liked to see the whole story finished in one installment, like back in the day. Go all the way from midgar to killing sephiroth in one game, not multiple.

I'm on the fence... I like that they're fleshing out the story, but I hate waiting, so part of me wishes they just did 1:1 while just filling in the details that were missed in the original vs. reimagining the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about TV and Movies does this asinine logic apply to them as well? Is a season not complete if the show is made with multiple seasons in mind? Is a movie not complete if it is made with sequels in mind? The hobbit was 1 book made into 3 movies did that get you really mad it wasn't a "complete" 9 hour movie? Ya I'm done here lol.
    Probably best not to use Hobbit in this example. I agree with your overal sentiment 100%, but The Hobbit was one classic book, stretched to three films that ended up being garbage, because of all the filler and story padding they added. Doesn't really help when the point you're trying to make is that FFVIIR will be better off, being split into 3+ games (which honestly believe it will be).
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Probably best not to use Hobbit in this example. I agree with your overal sentiment 100%, but The Hobbit was one classic book, stretched to three films that ended up being garbage, because of all the filler and story padding they added. Doesn't really help when the point you're trying to make is that FFVIIR will be better off, being split into 3+ games (which honestly believe it will be).
    I can see both sides of the argument, because I've been on both sides. When it was first announced as episodic I was kind of pissed that we weren't getting the full story from start to finish in 1 game.

But as more was revealed I was more in tune with it, but I am still HIGHLY skeptical that each one after the 1st one will be worth the money they're charging, and the rest may be the money grabbers now that people are hooked and want the ending.

Three should probably be the max, or they're just milking the people who want the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Just thinking about the fact that people are going to impregnate women, have kids, and then send them off to college before this game comes out blows my mind.
    I mean, I don't know why you think it's going to take 18 years + 9 months for all the games to come out :P

Because one game going up until Midgar took them multiple years, and it took them 10 years to make Final Fantasy 15.
    They also had to make the engine in that time, plus the changed development studios to bring it back in house just over a couple years ago. There was a lot of issues beyond just "it took a lot of time" with this one.

Just because their bomb was a dud doesn't change intent. It is some weak disney like twist trying to keep the "good guys" clean when morally nothing is different with them, still grey and where willing to kill people with their eco terrorist attack if they had to.

Overall it's whatever cause it doesn't change that much but if they continue to try to write this shit like disney it will be super annoying by the 3rd game.
    or If you go by what Jessie says in the hide out she outright states the bomb didn't go off as it was supposed to and semi freaks out in the original.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    To be fair it's only brought up in a (I think) single quote in Cosmo Canyon where Barret mentions that the reactor explosions were killing people who lived near them and that he was haunted by that fact but justified it as needing to be done. It's even an optional dialogue with him that you could totally pass up if you don't talk to him.
    There was one other quote where Reeve through Cait sith in Disc 2(or 3) on the airship called Barret out.

There always are. Why do you think Final Fantasy 15 took 10 years? Why do you think they took the game back from a third party studio?
    Because they didn't like the quality or direction the third party was going for

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Because they didn't like the quality or direction the third party was going for
    Pretty sure FF15 wasn't planned to be FF15 at the start. It started as FF13 versus...then development hell happened and lots of changes in plans. I wouldn't say that the development on FF15 took 10 years since, at least for me, you have to shave off some years when work was designed for another kind of game.

Also, the later episodes of FF7 remake will go waaaay quicker than the first midgar part took since it's all about adding content and not building a game from scratch. They have a foundation to build on after this.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-03-05 at 05:13 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

There always are. Why do you think Final Fantasy 15 took 10 years? Why do you think they took the game back from a third party studio?
    Wut? I mean...kinda?

When was XIII-Versus/XV ever handled by a third party studio? Squeenix handles all the mainline installments themselves, unless I totally missed something both were handled by internal studios there.

And that development wasn't active for that full duration from what I remember, that was when they started work on XIII-Versus, which started and stopped as technology and creative direction changed repeatedly. I don't know when full production started, but it was not going on the whole time.

More development info here - https://www.wired.com/2016/05/final-...y-xv-10-years/

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Wut? I mean...kinda?

When was XIII-Versus/XV ever handled by a third party studio? Squeenix handles all the mainline installments themselves, unless I totally missed something both were handled by internal studios there.

And that development wasn't active for that full duration from what I remember, that was when they started work on XIII-Versus, which started and stopped as technology and creative direction changed repeatedly. I don't know when full production started, but it was not going on the whole time.

More development info here - https://www.wired.com/2016/05/final-...y-xv-10-years/
    I think he was referring to viir with that part

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Pretty sure FF15 wasn't planned to be FF15 at the start. It started as FF13 versus...then development hell happened and lots of changes in plans. I wouldn't say that the development on FF15 took 10 years since, at least for me, you have to shave off some years when work was designed for another kind of game.

Also, the later episodes of FF7 remake will go waaaay quicker than the first midgar part took since it's all about adding content and not building a game from scratch. They have a foundation to build on after this.
    I forgot about the vs thing honestly, I knew there had to be some reason it took 10 years, games just don't go through a generation or more of hardware for funsies.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol what? That never happened
    Sort of yes, sort of no. Jessie says the explosion was way bigger than it was supposed to be and freaks out about that. On that note, Shinra later also says they're propping AVALANCHE up as a bigger threat to the general populace than they actually are. Those two statements combined mean this technically isn't a retcon, it's just not as subtle about the thing

When does this happen?
    Like, after the big boom. Trying to find a video of the lines, but there's this - https://www.finalfantasyunion.com/characters/jessie/

They clearly intended to damage the reactor and take it offline, but it was also clear that their intent wasn't to cause massive damage or any collateral damage by blowing it up entirely.

I don't recall exactly how this played out in the OG game, but in the remake it's pretty clear that blowing the whole thing up wasn't their intent. I recall this being touched on in the first game, even with Barrett bragging about the big boom (which fits for his character) before starting to see the damage it caused.

In the original game I don't think it was clearly defined if the big explosion was their fault directly, though it was implied. The remake makes it more clear, which IMO fits with the overall theming of the narrative even if it's "disneying" the game or whatever.

And just saw your comment and responded, apologies if I came in late to a conversation and missed the earlier bits.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also tried to. It's fucking impossible to find anything on youtube related to FF7 since the demo.
    I think she talks about it in the base of theirs before they find out your staying for another mission. I do recall her saying she was surprised at the boom

The DEMO is fucking awesome. And the graphics kept up with the trailer we saw so many years back, if even better, unlike other companies that undowngrade it come release (*cough* Ubisoft [Watchdogs] *cough*).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3bgsfU5TwU

I don't know if this has been posted. It's gameplay from the second reactor boss. I need this NOW.

I was talking about FF7, as was mentioned in the conversation we were having before you came in to correct me about the wrong thing.

- - - Updated - - -

When does this happen?
    Here is the freak out when she states she miscalculated from the instructions that she followed

(also note that translations in original 7 were not always coherent either.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Here is the freak out when she states she miscalculated from the instructions that she followed

*snip*

(also note that translations in original 7 were not always coherent either.)
    Yeah, that translation is a bit on the confusing side. Fortunately, game devs seem to be better at translations these days.

So I am guessing the intention was just to shut down the reactor, not blow it up to cause maximum damage. :\

(they're still eco terrorists though)

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Yeah, that translation is a bit on the confusing side. Fortunately, game devs seem to be better at translations these days.

So I am guessing the intention was just to shut down the reactor, not blow it up to cause maximum damage. :\

(they're still eco terrorists though)
    I think the point was Jessie was prone to messing up, like with Cloud's ID card as well as the bomb. The new stuff just expands on what Squaresoft wanted in the game back in 1997 but constraints made them cut it out like quite a few things in the original.